• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

4BR tips

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I had a totally random thought while I was driving this morning. Figured I'd post in here and see what you guys think. I know many of you are busy with Genesis preparations, so no rush!

My main practice partner is a Samus main. He's one of my best friends, and he's eager to get better at Smash. While I can't help him a ton on what specifically to do with Samus, I often point out noticeable bad habits that he should correct--habits that stick out no matter what character you play.

So it hit me this morning, then. I think it would be incredibly helpful to Smashers wanting to improve to receive general tip on a regular basis, whether it's a week or a month or every other week. Each week would focus on a single general tip, with multiple 4BR members weighing in their thoughts and recommendations on how to fix the bad habit. Specific video examples of what to do and what not to do can also be incorporated to emphasize said advice.

Possible topics off the top of my head could include:

-Recovering from being juggled in midair. A lot of lower-mid placing Smashers have a very bad habit of getting too percent-happy. If you hit them with a string and get them in midair, a lot of times these Smashers try to land right back on top of you and hit you with an aerial. Higher level Smashers know it's more important to get to safety, which leads me to my next topic.

-The neutral game. I've seen some Smashers groan at this term, but it's pretty damn important in Smash 4, and in my mind is the single greatest difference between a decent Smasher and a top Smasher. I tell my Samus friend all the time that he needs to worry less about going for followups that will never work and instead reset the neutral. A top Smasher is comfortable with resetting the neutral because they know A) they're a better player than their opponent and B) have the utmost confidence that they're smarter than their opponent, so they'll be the first to break the neutral to their advantage. And after telling my friend time and time again how important resetting the neutral is, Johnny Westside goes on a tear with Samus at 2GG, beating out 2 Luigis in a row because he knows how important resetting the neutral is.

-What to do after KOing your opponent. Too many times I see lower-mid placing Smashers run to the ledge after getting a KO. Certain characters, especially in certain MUs, are awful on the ledge (like Bowser vs. Sheik). Getting "extra credit" after scoring the first KO can be a pretty big deal, especially in a 2 stock environment, but there's a good deal of Smashers who I see completely waste it by literally backing themselves in a corner and giving their advantageous position away.

Anyways, this is all just off the top of my head this morning. Let me know if any of this sounds of interest, or if you think it would be helpful!

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I could see this working well with a Q&A format as well, or at least something that could possibly be merged with it.

:093:

Top Bottom