• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Zero mentioned that it literally hurts for him to hit the shoulder buttons at the moment.

And he still gets top 2 at everything.

Another way to look at it is that it took a debilitating injury for everyone else to catch up.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I really don't think that losing a closely contested set to another top 10 player is depressing, nor do I think losing to 3 of the top 10 players consists of "everyone". Personally, I think it's extremely exciting, and adds a much needed element of mystery to tournaments Zero enters. I think it's more fun to watch a tournament where the ending isn't a foregone conclusion.
Sure, and I understand mine is an unpopular viewpoint. But all from my spectators point of view, I wanted to see more gods, not godslayers. I want to see more players go undefeated, so it's more "how will these Titans fare against each other." That was the hype I got seeing Ranai vs ZeRo, Nairo vs ZeRo, Leo vs ZeRo, etc. Instead it's more of an even spread of talent. Anyone in the top 10 can lose tournaments to people outside of the top 10. For some, this way is more exciting, and I respect that POV. Mine is just a bit different.

EDIT: I know about ZeRo's pain - but I'm operating on the belief (as everyone else is) that he's playing at the top of his game regardless. Most top players say there is no rust, so I'm going off of that.

EDIT 2: I want to apologize, as I realize my posts are pretty callous, and these are close members of the community.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
With all due respect to Shaya, that post was incorrect.

In regards to the combo actually being a thing, I had written this up to explicitly mention most of the true combos associated with Up Throw and Thunder. It outlines how to test the combo out yourself as well as proof that the method is valid. (You just need to read the sections titled “Proving Up Throw to Turnaround Thunder is True” and “Clearing a Misunderstanding Related to the Method of Testing”. There’s also an Aside that talks about some interesting general-Smash quirk you’ve probably experienced but never noticed.) You wouldn’t believe how many times when conversing in various Smash outlets that that post has been mentioned. That’s why I wrote that document.

So yes, the combo is a thing. It’s true on DI read. I assure you that nothing was debunked. You can see it for yourself. When Up Throw to Thunder was first brought up here, it felt like the discussion was just about whether or not it was actually a thing. More valuable discussion would’ve been on the pros and cons of the combo. But that kind of discussion didn’t seem like it was going to happen. Oh well, at least there are places where that kind of conversation can actually happen.

With that, I bid you all adieu.
Ah, thanks for clearing that up and apologies for promoting an out-dated point of view which I myself have criticised others for.

It saddens me that people are just getting tired of coming to this thread. I love watching people post, and I'm highly aware of the circular nature of discussion but all it comes is a grade-A post from someone or a really interesting in-depth discussion and I'm back on the train. It's also hard because I know characters boards are starting to really dislike this place too.

Something I'd like to talk about are match-ups. A lot of Discord groups are doing the JMU rounds at the moment. Do people think it's viable for them to contribute to match-up discussions in the future? Heck, I've stopped seeing SB MU charts, are these now the MU discussion groups of the future?

Last edited:

Djent

Smash Champion
People need to recognize that once Ryu jumps, he's going that way until he lands. Or, if he FADCs, that's still a 29 frame startup before he can backpedal.
THIS. In fact, Angel Cortez vs. 9B from Genesis perfectly exemplifies this weakness. Even the commentators caught on to his Banana landing punishes. 9B couldn't find a consistent answer. Contrast this with Zinoto vs. Trela (sorry, no links cuz I'm on mobile and lazy). Zinoto is undeniably the stronger Diddy, but Trela's Ryu outpunished him. These are older sets now, but I think the main lesson is still relevant.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
The more I think about FA, the more...vulnerable it looks now.

FA may be Frame 1, but Ryu can never dare to FA someone up close unless he makes the best read of his life. With a 29 frame startup, it being able to beat shields only when at stage 3, itself a 50+ frame commitment, and the Attack itself taking 9 frames or so after the armored charge to connect, it's just gonna lose upfront. Even factoring in the 14 or so frames for people to react to it, that's a 15 frame window to Jab (and force Ryu to take a longer startup because of amplified hitlag), grab, or simply back off or shield and force him to move. Up close FA is a death sentence against anyone with a KO grab string.

As for options out of the cancel, the quickest one would be TRSK I suppose. 29 frames + double tap cancel + reconfigure the control stick back into the input command + 1 frame invinci = Ryu's already been grabbed 16.27 frames ago.

Goombo

Smash Apprentice
You really need to understand, gameplay is player vs. player NOT fighter vs. fighter.

No top tier in this game is hard enough that you can't CP to it if a matchup is really bad enough that it would make the fight truly fighter vs fighter.
Sounds like the definition of prepatch Shiek to me.

Saying Zero is placing 2nd a lot now because of sheik nerfs is an advanced level of johning, cut it out.
Wait, johning FOR Zero?
I basically said a nicer phrased version of "Zero got carried by his overpowered charakter and isn't really that good" and now I am johning for him? I don't get it.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800

Gatekeeper: :4mewtwo:
Fantastic, but at least 1-2 really bad match-ups: :4falcon::4corrin::4rob::4bayonetta::4zss::4villager::4metaknight:

ESAM Opinions:

"Male Corrin > Female Corrin"
"Bayonetta's neutral is lackluster"
"People were bad against Bayonetta"
"Zero Suit Samus has one of the worst neutral games"

Loota

Smash Journeyman
This actually made me stop to think for a little about multi hits. I came up with three questions. Feel free to provide your own answers - I'm interested in knowing why you think Mega's one usable smash shouldn't even connect properly.
)
A somewhat loaded statement but anyways, I'll clarify. Of course I wish it links properly but by saying properly, I'm fine with it not linking all the time, like when you barely touch your opponent and some of the remaining or all the rest of the hits fail to connect. There are a lot more other acceptable scenarios as well where it fails to hit all the way through and a lot of time it has something to do with the attributes of your opponent's character too.

Also, I didn't mean to target my response to you but the general trend of judging multihits, that's why I didn't want to tag you either. Sorry if it felt like it was a rant decicated to you.

Are the moves I mentioned not linking because the opponent SDIs out, or because the move just spits them out on its own? (They all spit the opponent out and cannot be SDId if they hit properly, with the possible exception of uAir's final windbox).
There is no specific answer to this that would cover all different situations and to be labeled as the definitive reason why opponents pop off from a move. They probably spit the opponent out because it wasn't properly spaced in the first place, a combination of your opponent's DI and your momentum to a direction at the time of first hit, or something other specific that we can only theorize. FYI I have no idea of how Mega Man's multihits work so I can't directly comment on those.

Is there a reason that the moves would be designed to be inconsistent, and does it make sense to get punished on hit? (No, no character is designed with this flaw, and many other characters have had similar moves fixed).
They aren't designed to be inconsistent, they are designed to yield multiple outcomes depending on the way you hit your opponent. Most of the moves in the game have some sort of a sweerspot and a sourspot assigned to them to give varying results depending on the situation and some of them will get you punished even on hit, it's nothing new to the game. Some moves require more precise spacing than others to hit all the way through which is also a natural property of a move, like hitbox size. They demand skill to yield their best outcome, just like landing a meaty tipper fsmash with Marth. Of course, they aren't as consistent as single hits but that's how a flurry of separate hitboxes with all having unique values is going to work in a game where you can hit your opponent in a bazillion of different ways and DI/SDI exists.

When a multi-hit move is adjusted in a balance patch, is it ever made to link improperly, or have they always made moves that don't link properly link better? (I can't think of any multi hit moves that became unreliable, but several have been patched to link properly.)
Yes, there has been examples of moves that didn't link properly with any form of spacing or required excessive precision that simply didn't feel intuitive, almost all of them have been made to function better since and that's good. I'm not saying that moves should connect improperly or have seemingly random outcomes no matter the way you hit with them, but to retain their natural weaknesses as in not always automatically linking and requiring positional understanding when hitting with them. On the contrary, making all multihits connect 100% of the time would make take away the need to ever think of your spacing or timing with them since you will get the final hit regardless how you landed the first hit and — more of a design thought — reduce the importance of PvP interactions after being trapped in one.

Let me finish this by saying that rage is a **** mechanic and is inherently fighting against the linking properies of multihits. That is one thing that hasn't clearly been taken into account when designing multihits and is the #1 culprit of your move possibly not linking even when it felt like you spaced it right. #R E M O V E R A G E

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Wait, johning FOR Zero?
I basically said a nicer phrased version of "Zero got carried by his overpowered charakter and isn't really that good" and now I am johning for him? I don't get it.
Well, that's actually even worse, because it's just plainly wrong. Imagine actually believing ZeRo was carried when his worst placement post-2015 is 2nd place.

lol

Furret24

Smash Master

Gatekeeper: :4mewtwo:
Fantastic, but at least 1-2 really bad match-ups: :4falcon::4corrin::4rob::4bayonetta::4zss::4villager::4metaknight:

ESAM Opinions:

"Male Corrin > Female Corrin"
I'm not super knowledgable on Zero Suit Samus, or Diddy Kong for that matter.

But calling ZSS vs Diddy "One of the worst matchups in the game" seems really off to me (putting ZSS out of Top 10 is also off to me, but oh well).
:162:

Djent

Smash Champion
I'm not sure why people are excited to see ZeRo lose when it's due to something not under his direct control. It's not exciting to watch top tier athletes fall off to injuries and other attritional factors. In fact, it kind of sucks the fun out of it.

If/when "Will this be the tournament were ZeRo finally loses?" gives way to "Will ZeRo finally overcome the harm this game has done to his body to once again reap the rewards of his hard work?", it'll be pretty lame.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
The more I think about FA, the more...vulnerable it looks now.

FA may be Frame 1, but Ryu can never dare to FA someone up close unless he makes the best read of his life. With a 29 frame startup, it being able to beat shields only when at stage 3, itself a 50+ frame commitment, and the Attack itself taking 9 frames or so after the armored charge to connect, it's just gonna lose upfront. Even factoring in the 14 or so frames for people to react to it, that's a 15 frame window to Jab (and force Ryu to take a longer startup because of amplified hitlag), grab, or simply back off or shield and force him to move. Up close FA is a death sentence against anyone with a KO grab string.

As for options out of the cancel, the quickest one would be TRSK I suppose. 29 frames + double tap cancel + reconfigure the control stick back into the input command + 1 frame invinci = Ryu's already been grabbed 16.27 frames ago.
Yo I swear people come full circle whenever I talk about a character. Yall fight me on stuff I say but eventually you see all see where I'm coming from.

I told you guys week one FA wasn't this crazy OP option, then said the same thing mere weeks ago.

FA works vs mid level players and vs opponents that have just never fought the move. Either those two scenarios or you just committed and got blown up for it.

Period.

Illuminose

Smash Ace
I'm not sure why people are excited to see ZeRo lose when it's due to something not under his direct control. It's not exciting to watch top tier athletes fall off to injuries and other attritional factors. In fact, it kind of sucks the fun out of it.

If/when "Will this be the tournament were ZeRo finally loses?" gives way to "Will ZeRo finally overcome the harm this game has done to his body to once again reap the rewards of his hard work?", it'll be pretty lame.
Because it isn't really why he's losing. He's not worse, it's not even like he hasn't improved (his Diddy certainly has) but more like Sheik nerfs ARE a bad situation for him. I don't think ZeRo was truly prepared to do soloish Diddy because he doesn't have that type of top level matchup practice and it shows. People caught up, and now we know that ZeRo wouldn't have survived just with Diddy in the past.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428

Fantastic, but at least 1-2 really bad match-ups:
:4falcon::4corrin::4rob::4bayonetta::4zss::4villager::4metaknight:

ESAM Opinions:
With this description I wonder where is :4ness:. Can someone explain me how :4bayonetta:and :4zss: neutral is bad besides "bad mobility/startup" and "bad grab" respectively? Because I don't see how.

Last edited:

BTVolta

Smash Apprentice
With this description I wonder where is :4ness:. Can someone explain me how :4bayonetta:and :4zss: neutral is bad besides "bad mobility/startup" and "bad grab" respectively? Because I don't see how.
Compared to the characters above her ZSS' neutral is a bit lackluster due to having to short hop to use most of her neutral tools and her short hop is a bit high making it easier to PS, air to air, or AA her when she comes at you. Couple this with a risky grab that has less reward than before makes dealing with opponents that stay out of her burst range when she's on the ground and shield effectively when she's in the air in their space it can be hard to get things going in her favor.

I don't know to much about Bayo but from what Bayo mains tell me her neutral also consist of short hops Jain a mix up of empty hop grab, FF Dtilt, empty hop grab, or AC Nair(maybe another aerial?). Looking a just this it has a similar formula to ZSS' neutral without the amazing burst range and worst mobility specs but less supseptibillity to shields with less reward on grabs(?) so I can see where the claims of their neutrals being "bad"(though only comparatively).

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
ZSS relies a lot on falling aerials, since her rising SH aerials hit too high. Her ground moves aren't stellar for footsies, but her mobilty seems pretty great. Zair is totally amazing, but it doesn't really patch up her existing shortcomings. I'm not too sure of her neutral, but in calling it one of the worst I assume ESAM means amongst the top characters. In that case, the point may stand, but this question is better answered by the knowledgeable ZSS players in this thread (Trifroze, Shaya).

Bayo's neutral is certainly lackluster when compared to the likes of Sheik, Cloud, and Diddy Kong, but that is a very very relevant comparison. She definitely has tools, including excellent jumps and options for short hop baits and conditioning between back air, down tilt, and dash grab. Her grab isn't very good, however, and neither is her mobility. Her projectiles are situationally useful at best and useless at worst, depends on the matchup. She can be camped or lmaed out. She more or less should be able to make up for this with her stellar disadvantage and decidedly still above average advantaged state. I think securing kills takes a bit too long on average atm but she still has Witch Time and great gimping tools at her disposal, so we'll see.

Last edited:

Illuminose

Smash Ace
:4bayonetta:neutral is very good. I'm pretty sure that her neutral being bad was just a trope meant to make it seem like she wasn't hella busted. She has spammable, safe neutral options with amazing anti-approach in moves like dtilt, utilt, side b, bair, and nair. Bayo is non-committal, especially when you combine those things with Neutral B. The weakness of Bayo's neutral is that you can kinda lame her out in some senses, but honestly given the rate she can throw some of her moves out I think that she can be relentless enough with her attacks to make this a relative non-issue, especially Up B. Watch a good Bayo that doesn't play as defensively like 9B and you'll get what I mean.

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
Bayonetta has bad mobility, bad startup, a bad grab, a meh projectile, bad range, poor CQC, and one good OoS. Shes easily camped, easily outspaced, and easily boxed out. The only thing she has going for her in neutral is Witch Twist -> Dive Kick OoS to get out of pressure, low landing lag, and anti approach tools but considering most high/top tiers don't even need to approach it ends up being pretty useless

ZSS on the other hand.... Generally fast startup, good boxing game, amazing mobility, good OoS, ****ty grab but a great grab reward, a projectile with extremely high damage potential, great spacing options with zair and nair, and is almost impossible to be camped. If her grab wasn't garbage her neutral would honestly be Diddy/Sheik tier

Last edited:

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Looks like Esam's top ten will be
:4sonic::4sheik::4ryu::rosalina::4pikachu::4ness::4mario::4fox::4diddy::4cloud:
in some order. Pretty standard except maybe Ness and obviously Pikachu, but Ness isn't totally crazy thinking. Ness is still pretty dang good.

Still, it seems like the description of, "Fantastic, but 1-2 really bad MUs," would fit Ness.

Last edited:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
You really need to understand, gameplay is player vs. player NOT fighter vs. fighter. No top tier in this game is hard enough that you can't CP to it if a matchup is really bad enough that it would make the fight truly fighter vs fighter. Saying Zero is placing 2nd a lot now because of sheik nerfs is an advanced level of johning, cut it out.

EDIT: ANY balance change that makes the game more Player vs. Player than Fighter vs. Fighter is a GOOD BALANCE CHANGE, remember that.
It's not really johning. If you are playing as a weaker character, you have a lower chance of winning. Simple as that.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
Olimar's disadvantage state is awful, no matter how good is neutral is (REALLY GOOD) he can't escape good ledge trapping and juggling and even edgeguarding sometimes. This wasn't actually a big deal in brawl because whistle armor was broken and let him get threw basically everything. He also doesn't have the ability to push an advantage well because pikmin item properties; once again in brawl, he has scary because of up air and upsmash. This leaves him as only being able to refine his neutral, and his neutral does have flaws so even when played perfectly, he can't avoid getting hit forever. Probably will end up being one of the worst characters in smash 4 once the game's meta really gets optimal.
I've been saying this forever. Olimar is genuinely bottom 15 material once people learn the match up.

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
ESAM makes good points of ZSS counterplay but he focuses on it way too much.

Her aerials (nair, bair, zair) can't be punished from a powershield if she spaces half properly, and if she mixes between fastfall and regular falling aerials the opponent's powershield timings will be off at least half the time. You can often go for something like SH into paralyzer or empty hop into ftilt to mess with people who get conditioned into just clicking their shield, always expecting SHFF aerials, and if they keep holding their shield in this scenario then ZSS can grab them.

It's all very dynamic and far from how simple ESAM makes it seem: ZSS has enough safety to play the neutral on a player vs player level this way. Grab still sucks though.

Probably even more importantly, the opponent can't just sit on the ground shielding or expecting situations where they can shield unless they're winning the match. They have to move and commit to something if they want to get anything done, and ZSS can run away, stuff the opponent out and just play the match at her pace in these situations against most other good characters (basically anyone that doesn't outneutral her super hard).

And that's just neutral which is her weakest area. In my opinion ZSS has way more room to develop than the counterplay against her, mainly her punish game and edgeguards which most of her mains (including myself) are still often flopping super hard.

+ disadvantage is free but you die at 50% to rage Bowsers

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
It's not really johning. If you are playing as a weaker character, you have a lower chance of winning. Simple as that.
If you are playing a weaker character by choice when there are 10-15+ top level viable fighters in this game, that is your fault as a player. You made a poor decision at css. The result is still player vs player.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Anyone with free disadvantage can't be bad.

Dunno why ESAM was down playing ZSS so hard.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Bayonetta has bad mobility, bad startup, a bad grab, a meh projectile, bad range, poor CQC, and one good OoS. Shes easily camped, easily outspaced, and easily boxed out. The only thing she has going for her in neutral is Witch Twist -> Dive Kick OoS to get out of pressure, low landing lag, and anti approach tools but considering most high/top tiers don't even need to approach it ends up being pretty useless

ZSS on the other hand.... Generally fast startup, good boxing game, amazing mobility, good OoS, ****ty grab but a great grab reward, a projectile with extremely high damage potential, great spacing options with zair and nair, and is almost impossible to be camped. If her grab wasn't garbage her neutral would honestly be Diddy/Sheik tier
Okay I am not a Bayonetta expert at all but a term like "bad range" really doesn't seem to suit her. Have you seen the size of her hitboxes? She has good reach on most of her normals. Her CQC game is limited but pretty competent when you have a frame 4 option that hits all around her, can be used at any time, and leads into combos. She also has two frame 7 tilts that also convert and are rather safe.

However, she doesn't seem to have much limb intangibility on her attacks which can lead to scenarios like this:

IMG_20160511_210413.jpg

Side note, Bullet Climax and Bullet Arts are not projectiles but really long disjoints.

Last edited:

Djent

Smash Champion
It's all very dynamic and far from how simple ESAM makes it seem: ZSS has enough safety to play the neutral on a player vs player level this way. Grab still sucks though.
ESAM touched on this in his Pound recap video when going over his loss to Marss. My guess is that he attributed it all to player strengths, but I shouldn't have to tell anyone here that player and character strengths have a lot to do with each other.

MachoCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MachoCheeze
ESAMs tier list to me really seems like "here's who I have trouble fighting against and who I don't."

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
+ disadvantage is free but you die at 50% to rage Bowsers
So do Fox, Mewtwo, and pretty much everyone around her weight class.

It's not really worth noting, especially when you're trying to downplay how silly her disadvantage state is.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
ESAMs tier list to me really seems like "here's who I have trouble fighting against and who I don't."
This could possibly explain DHD's placement to an extent. ESAM briefly commented on certain zoners "not being as good as people think they are because people don't play the matchups correct and aren't patient enough" (paraphrasing) and his experience vs DHD is, like, what, MVD's, in friendlies? He hasn't played any noteworthy DHDs in bracket afaik. Dandy Penguin, ImHip, Raito, Yusan, and Brood are probably the top 5 atm

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
So do Fox, Mewtwo, and pretty much everyone around her weight class.

It's not really worth noting, especially when you're trying to downplay how silly her disadvantage state is.
Yes they all die early, while Diddy, Mario, Cloud and Ryu don't.

Weight is an important factor when it comes to disadvantage just like evasiveness is. No one has it good both ways.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Okay I am not a Bayonetta expert at all but a term like "bad range" really doesn't seem to suit her. Have you seen the size of her hitboxes? She has good reach on most of her normals. Her CQC game is limited but pretty competent when you have a frame 4 option that hits all around her, can be used at any time, and leads into combos. She also has two frame 7 tilts that also convert and are rather safe.

However, she doesn't seem to have much limb intangibility on her attacks which can lead to scenarios like this:

View attachment 109477

Side note, Bullet Climax and Bullet Arts are not projectiles but really long disjoints.
Arts yes, but Climax really is a series of projectiles.

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
Yes they all die early, while Diddy, Mario, Cloud and Ryu don't.

Weight is an important factor when it comes to disadvantage just like evasiveness is. No one has it good both ways.
I would say Diddy has it good both ways because monkey flip but his recovery is kinda awkward so I'm not sure

Anyways, the 3 best Marth mains have all put out Marth MU Charts now

False
false.jpeg
Mr. E
mr e.jpeg
Pugwest
pugwest.png

EDIT: Added spoilers

Last edited:

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
I would say Diddy has it good both ways because monkey flip but his recovery is kinda awkward so I'm not sure

Anyways, the 3 best Marth mains have all put out Marth MU Charts now

View attachment 109483 View attachment 109484 View attachment 109485
Any chance you can label them so we can tell exactly who did them (I can see which one is Pugwest's though)?

The first one to me, seems the most accurate. That middle one seems very questionable, as there are many even or above characters that Marth can give lots of trouble, due to just possessing a sword, such as Peach, Wii Fit, and Kirby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom