• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
This sonic is one of the smartest I've seen. Definitely showing the potential of optimal bait and punish play. 6WX take notes please lol.

Last edited:

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
being a :4sonic: main myself i'm studying this **** really hard.

also all this waiting is making me tense idk about you guys

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
Ally wins 3-1 against Wrath with Cloud. Other than the obvious character switch I noticed Ally adapting well to Wrath's strategy. You have to play lame sometimes :p

my_T

Smash Journeyman
This might be the best performance out of all the super heavyweight solo mains to date.

@LordMix putting his money where his mouth is

Illuminose

Smash Ace
cloud v sonic is a bad matchup, def sonic's worst by far.

good **** to wrath tho, well-played the entire tournament, dumped on ally's mario and was going toe-to-toe with nairo in one of nairo's strongest matchups. lordmix showed up hella strong too although he's still an emotional *****...respect for his play, 0 for his attitude. he was screaming and visibly salty every time he lost and cocky when he won, what a kid.

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
LordMix barely losing to Ally is basically the saddest this game has made me. I can't even imagine what the reactions would have been, lol. He's really exciting to watch.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Since no one ever posted full results for Sumabato:

1) Earth :4pit:
2) Sigma :4tlink:
3) HIKARU :4dk:(:4wiremac:)
4) Mangalitza♀ :4cloud2:(:4sheik:)
5) Tsu~ :4falcon:
5) Nasubi :4wario2:
7) Taiheita :4lucas:
7) Kie :4peach:
9) Fuwa :4marth:
9) YuriAIR :4falcon:
9) Tatsutsuyo :4mario:
9) Ri-ma :4tlink:
13) Atelier :rosalina:
13) Oisiitofu :4greninja:
13) Hatsuyuki :4ludwig:
13) Eda :4falcon:

NOTE: This is Category 1 by Das Koopa Das Koopa 's standards. For his sake I only included characters that have confirmed game wins.
i actually have it listed as category 2, it's just that 9B/Komo bustered out lol

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Momocon Top 16

1st: Nairo :4zss:
2nd: Ally :4mario:, :4cloud2:
3rd: Wrath :4sonic:
4th: LordMix :4bowser:
5th: Vinnie :4sheik:, :rosalina:
5th: Mew2King :4cloud2:
7th: Mr. E :4marth:
7th: VoiD :4sheik:
9th: 6WX :4sonic:
9th: Fatality :4falcon:
9th: BigLou :4luigi:
9th: Seagull Joe :4sonic:
13th: Xanos :4lucas:
13th: Rango :4myfriends:, :4cloud2:
13th: TheReflexWonder :4wario2:
13th: Neos :rosalina:

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Honestly, today shows how hard it is to be consistent, and how far match-up knowledge can take you in this game. We have had two players who have not really made a big name for themselves outside of their region reaching top 4 in a tournament which had Nairo, Ally, Mew2King, Void, Vinnie, 6wx, Scatt, and Fatality. Both of them beating multiple top 50 players (LordMix almost taking out 3 top 20s even). This was an amazing run by both players. Looking at the names, who expected them to top 8? Let alone top 4 (and almost top 3!?).

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
If people wanted evidence of Minnesota being good, Skorpio (Robin main PR'd 4th) is in top 8 at Combo Breaker.

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I know im looking forward to those Bowser matches on YouTube. Is it hard to accept Bowser can be more than lower mid tier? He has decent mobility, power, an incredibly good side b, best pivot grab, an incredibly versatile u throw, great post up b, great flame thrower, above average tilts, good damage output, and rage really works in his favor. His dair is really bad though (Cloud's dair kills earlier wtf?) Bair , although having like 19% and power, has a puny sweetspot only really obtainable out of u throw. His disadvantage is wretched and he is still overwhelmed by faster characters who can juggle him.

I think he is decent. For me, easily the 2nd best super weight behind DK, being better than Charizard and DDD. Now that Bowser has gotten some results, the statement is more solidified. I would put him in middle mid, with room to grow into the upper mid. Probably not further than that though because he lacks a more effective ding dong like DK or his superior aerials and arguably better tilts and serial mobility.

One random point on super weights, I hate what DK has become in this game when 100% of his game plan relies on ding dong kills. Don't believe me? Check out Pound 2016, there is not a single kill that doesn't come from ding dong. At least every other character has more than one usable kill option. Mario has...3.

DK is lower high, but for an annoying reason on overly simplistic and linear gameplay. If ding dong took a nerf, I think he would be next to Bowser.

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
I think it's more frustrating than anything to witness a match where one player is at around 60%, racks up the opponent's damage from a similar percent all the way to 150%+ without getting hit once, but can't kill them because they're just that heavy, and now after all of this they are literally just as even as they were before.

Once the "mid tier doing well!!" -hype wears off almost everyone will probably feel this way.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Speaking of tournament results there's also Agon Flawless Strike that should be mentioned. I don't know the exact character usage but I assume that @Yikarur will post it eventually. Entrants were somewehre between 80 and 100.

1st cyve - Diddy, Mewtwo
2nd quiksilver - ZSS
3rd BluB - Bayonetta
4th wusi - Fox
5th Eddy - Greninja
5th Jbandrew - MK, Luigi, Sheik
7th Sodrek - Fox, Cloud
7th Light - Sheik, Mario
9th Sillintor - I think this guy plays Link
9th Clade - Lucas
9th Suishomaru - plays Bowser jr but idk if he went solo
9th Long0uw - Cloud
13th Purple~H - Cloud
13th Biggad - Corrin
13th Kunai KazeKun - Toon Link
13th Yoh - Ike

Videos can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYkLkcUZQJOM0SW0NJKGkHQ/videos

Edit: the whole thing happened in germany in case you don't know.

:059:

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Heavies are so heavily disadvantaged in landing/ledge options and are such combo food that I have no problem with grab kill confirms (ding dong & the like) and rage abuse. It's the only practical way of making heavies usable imo.

Last edited:

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
I mean, isn't that how it should be?

In other fighting games, the trade-off for playing a slower character is that you get to do massive damage when you do get in. The problem has been that this hasn't been translated well into Smash, with heavies usually struggling to get in and then once they do not having the reward for having done so. Rage, ding-dongs, etc. seem to have been brought in specifically to make heavies functional

Last edited:

my_T

Smash Journeyman
One major hole in bowser and DK's uthrow>uair

it only works at specific percents and rage will change the window depending on how much rage you have. Once you're past the window it becomes noticeably harder to kill, especially for DK because he doesn't have as much raw kill power as bowser

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Doesn't grounded cargo up throw into up air become a 50/50 after Ding Dong percents? I've heard Riot say something to that effect.

my_T

Smash Journeyman
Doesn't grounded cargo up throw into up air become a 50/50 after Ding Dong percents? I've heard Riot say something to that effect.
Yes, but theirs a small window for that as well and jumping almost always gets you out of harms way.

and it's not like there's a high chance of getting the grab. Their balanced in a way to make it difficult to get the grab in the first place

It's nowhere near as strong as sheiks 50/50 because it was relatively easy for her to get the grab

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Good stuff to @LordMix for getting so far.

As abrasive as his attitude was in this thread, in a way it's appropriate for a competitor. When you believe you're the greatest, you're more likely to carry that mentality into your matches and achieve more.

Also, re: forward throw talk that I started, the more I think about ti the more I see only the Pits use it with any real consistency. Bayonetta usually would end stocks much earlier. Bowser has up throw combos and flying slam as alternatives. As mentioned, it's the worst of Lucas's kill throws.

Last edited:

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
Is Yoshi highly overrated? I don't even think he has tournament results to justify top 20 let alone top 15. Sure he has great frame data but seems to struggle highly with killing. What exactly about him makes people suspect he has potential?

Last edited:

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
Seems like wusi usually outplaces Sodrek whenever I tune in. How strong is his case for Best :4fox: EU?
Wusi doesnt attend as much as Sodrek.

I wouldnt say theres too much but Sodrek definitely has the better results. Its his first time placing outside top 3

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Forward throw is Wario's best kill throw. It's more of a stock cap or a crutch, though. Wario should ideally be getting edgeguards, and I see Reflex use it just to get certain characters off the stage, not caring how stale it gets. So, I guess its mileage depends on the matchup and how realistically you can edgeguard an opponent.

----

Yoshi isn't top 15. He's a character with good attributes but he lacks reliable kill setups and much of a grab/throw game. I think he has some passable results and some strong players behind him (Raptor, Yikarur, The Wall, etc.) He does okay. I feel like he has ways to optimize and while his players are good, he kinda lacks a top level player. So his exact strength remains be known.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Is Yoshi highly overrated? I don't even think he has tournament results to justify top 20 let alone top 15. Sure he has great frame data but seems to struggle highly with killing. What exactly about him makes people suspect he has potential?
Do people think he's top 15 now? At best he's fringe top 20, more likely somewhere in the generic mid tier blob.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
If people wanted evidence of Minnesota being good, Skorpio (Robin main PR'd 4th) is in top 8 at Combo Breaker.
There #1 player is greninja main.

If only he'd actually show up to some regional or national so I could really gauge how good he was.

:150:

Ninety

Smash Journeyman
I think it's more frustrating than anything to witness a match where one player is at around 60%, racks up the opponent's damage from a similar percent all the way to 150%+ without getting hit once, but can't kill them because they're just that heavy, and now after all of this they are literally just as even as they were before.

Once the "mid tier doing well!!" -hype wears off almost everyone will probably feel this way.
Heavies have been consistently **** across Smash history. If being heavy is -gasp- an advantage for once, then world's smallest violin to the fast and light top tiers not being able to kill them easily. You say it's frustrating for a heavyweight to be able to kill earlier and die later? Well it's a hell of a lot more frustrating for heavies to have their **** kicked in by enemies they can't tag or avoid.

This is one of the reasons I'm cool with rage. It benefits superheavies over conventional light top tiers, and the fatties have damn well earned a break.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Nobody overrates Yoshi anymore. In fact, it seems hat people are more inclined to underrate him now.

:059:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Rage is a big thing keeping Mewtwo in check right now too. Being so light he rarely gets to benefit from it, and the middleweights with good stock cap throws (Greninja, Sonic, Corrin) can kill Mewtwo with their throws only slightly after he can kill with his.

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Rage is a big thing keeping Mewtwo in check right now too. Being so light he rarely gets to benefit from it, and the middleweights with good stock cap throws (Greninja, Sonic, Corrin) can kill Mewtwo with their throws only slightly after he can kill with his.
Yeah rage is a *****.

But I play Lucario too so I won't complain. :p

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
There #1 player is greninja main.

If only he'd actually show up to some regional or national so I could really gauge how good he was.

ShinJoebi is there and IIRC he's the number one there.

Grounded cargo throw to double jump uair works. Grounded cargo throw to bait AD, then uair also works.

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace

Sounds like nearly every heavy in every other fighting game, except in smash context.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Just a question, who legitimately tries to 20xx their characters anymore?
Only those who are committed to maximizing their meta and balance their character honesty with their X-Factor.

It all depends on the neutral game, but also jumpsquats and matchup consistency against Greninja, Ike, and ESAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom