• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
Umebara 23 Top 16 (May 20th) (Japan) (219 Entrants) (Category 2)

1st: Kamemushi :4megaman:, :4cloud2:
2nd: Rain :4cloud2:, :4diddy:, :4sheik:
3rd: Nietono :4diddy:, :4sheik:, :4metaknight:
4th: Yuzu :rosalina:
5th: FILIP :4mario:
5th: Kie :4peach:
7th: YOC :4corrinf:
7th: Raito :4duckhunt:
9th: Nyanko :4sheik:
9th: Tsu- :4lucario:
9th: Fuwa :4marth:
9th: Kappamaki :4metaknight:
13th: Kuro :4pit:
13th: Kept :4villager:
13th: Taiheita :4lucas:
13th: Brood :4duckhunt:
Not one, but two Duck Hunts
This character seems to have been getting a lot of results lately

Theres also 2 MKs, glad to see this character hasn't fallen off the map

Surprised to see a Lucas. I feel like hes slept on more than Olimar which should say a lot about the character

On the topic of the Pits, another thing I would like to add is their horrible landing lag. Its like Pikachu except without the amazing startup, QA/QAC, FAF, and and combo tilts

Last edited:

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
So I heard Abadango got 33rd.

Something about his placements is that he does much better in other regions than his own. At Umebura 22 and 23, he got 9th and 33rd. In a bunch of other tournaments in other regions (fe: BAM8 & Pound 2016) he's gotten a lot higher.

Is it just because Japan has a lot more diverse character mains entering the tournament, so there's more room for MU inexperience? Is that just me?

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Japan once again showing why Duck Hunt ain't getting no buffs

I started going back to the character as a comain cuz those jerks keep giving me hope that i didn't waste a year on the character.

Apparently zoning and deception can overcome weaknesses.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
So I heard Abadango got 33rd.

Something about his placements is that he does much better in other regions than his own. At Umebura 22 and 23, he got 9th and 33rd. In a bunch of other tournaments in other regions (fe: BAM8 & Pound 2016) he's gotten a lot higher.

Is it just because Japan has a lot more diverse character mains entering the tournament, so there's more room for MU inexperience? Is that just me?
There's no payout at Japanese tournaments, so he doesn't take them as seriously.

This is the general explanation provided and it's entirely plausible. Mindsets for tournies between Japan (due to gambling laws) and other regions will likely be very different since money is a large incentive in European, American, and Canadian tournaments.

Speaking of: I'm probably going to score GOML as a Major ala Pound 2016. I'm not entirely certain yet, but Europe, Canada, and Mexico's top players are attending, the respective #1 and #2 are attending, plus a very highly regarded SoCal player who consistent makes Top 8 at majors and supermajors (Larry Lurr) and also Anti, who's had a pretty clean track record and nearly took a set off of ZeRo.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
tier list.png

I figured, after thinking about it long and hard, I would make a tier list. Some notes though before people comment.
1. Bayo is put in her position on theory. I may be wrong on that.
2. Miis are assuming guest mii, custom moves allowed.
Thoughts on this? What am I wrong or right on?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I think it's about time SWF introduces a dislike button.

Just because I'm getting really sick of all these stupid tier lists and matchup charts that constantly get posted in here even though nobody ever asked for or wants to know about them.

:059:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Also, doing a little investigating on Taiheita on youtube, it seems Lucas is forcing Kamemushi off of Megaman. PK Fire is pretty damn annoying to deal with, his grab game is powerful enough to contest leaves + OoS metal blade meaningfully, so it makes sense. He is also much harder to edgeguard than ness.

KuroganeHammer mentioned that he thinks Lucas is a straight upgrade to Ness. It certainly feels like it in this MU, because I believe Mega comfortably beats Ness but Lucas is a much more fearsome opponent.
IMO MM slightly beats Ness and slightly loses to Lucas, but either match-up could be in the even territory. All I know is I use Lucas for that MU every-time, PK Fire and Zair straight up do wonders vs Megaman where Ness just gets outright zoned.

And nah, Lucas isn't a straight upgrade to Ness in general, but he does better in... Actually a lot of different MUs. He's a fantastic secondary or co-main for Ness really, the only characters who beat both of them convincingly are Cloud, Sheik and Rosa (although even Rosa vs Lucas is apparently arguable, although personally I would say it's probably +1 her favour, just)

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
No one should be surprised when even the best Mewtwo strikes out early. This is where the glass part of glass cannon comes into play. No top/high tier has more to fear from even a random low tier getting a solid hit in than Mewtwo, eg dying from a random Zelda aerial, a Ganondorf ftilt, or whatever might come.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I think it's about time SWF introduces a dislike button.

Just because I'm getting really sick of all these stupid tier lists and matchup charts that constantly get posted in here even though nobody ever asked for or wants to know about them.

:059:
It's called the "report" button.

Rampant list rants aside, ones that are as well-put together and explained such as the one above are fine as they provide clear points to agree or disagree on, rather than simply baiting ire from people who believe a character is too high or low based on theory.

Just ignore the ones that don't provide much or any context for the tiers and the characters within. It's easy, since there's not much provided to discuss about and any discussion that arises will likely prove to be pointless. Basically, if we have to ask why characters are placed the way they are, it's a bad list and a cheap way to get replies.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Does anyone know if 9B or Pink Fresh are dropping/sticking with Bayonetta?

I do think they've overcooked this. Right now this looking like the most severe nerf in the game's history. Bayo's combo game is just completely disfunctional.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Ok Pit talk time.

Since the game came out people have referred to the Pits as solid characters with all the tools to win. But if that is the case, why aren't they making a bigger splash? At first glance they seem to be more functional then say Ike another swordsman, but the results don't reflect that.

Pit and Dark Pit imo are ironically the "Ryu" type in this game. Jack-of-all trades, but a master of none. This would mean they can play any situation or position relatively well right? Hmm, the thing is though, I am not so sure about that. The results and the frame data do not reflect two characters that are good. I suppose good is subjective, but this is a competitive community and people want to see a return on their investment. So with that in mind let us say that good means "can top 8 at a regional with strong players, and do so consistently". With this thought in mind we can instantly disregard the Pits. There are a slew of characters that are scarier and more devastating. Not to mention much more consistent.

But what's the problem? They have decent range, solid burst options, disjointed hitboxes due to their blades, good recovery and nice KO power right? Well, lets look at the data. They seem to have solid buttons at first glance but in reality their grounded pokes are underwhelming and pretty darn unsafe. Pits D-tilt is frame 6 and -13 on SHIELD DROP?!? That is abysmal and it only does 6% on hit and leads to no guaranteed follow-ups. Contrast that to say Mewtwo who also has a 6 frame d-tilt but his is -3 on shield drop (crazy) and we get a clearer picture of how under tuned this move really is. Yes it has huge range for a tilt but it is not scary or threatening in anyway. It can lose to SH approaches like all dtilts and loses to shield as well which is uncharacteristic of most swordsman dtilts. Ike's dtilt is ONE FRAME slower, but safer and DOES lead to combos. It is -8 on shield drop. Nintendo has me scratching my head on this button here because the garbage data doesnt justify how small the reward is for the Pits.

What about f-tilt? Lots of people felt this was THE poke that all pokes should aspire too. It covers a good amount of space, decent damage, nice start-up time at 10 frames too. However it is also VERY unsafe at -15 on shield drop. It can kill decently well at the ledge. It kills Mario on FD, no DI around 110%. But then you have Ike and Marth. Ike's ftilt is slower at 13 frames but at also safer at -12 and does more shield pushback. Kills a bit earlier. About 5% sooner. Marth's ftilt....lolz. Frame 8. -10 on shield with tipper. Kills at 95% at the ledge of FD. Again Nintendo....I don't get it. Granted Pits ftilt has a ton of range, but that range doesnt do anything to mitigate how unsafe the button is. Its an ok punish, but Pits f-smash has the same start-up so any situation where you could ftilt you could f-smash instead for deadlier results.

Burst options in neutral is another category they receive praise for. A good dash attack and dash grab keeps foes guessing at mid range. While its true these options are speedy, they are not what I would call scary. D-throw leads to real combos at low percents, but no death conversions. Dash attack is fast and beats alot of stuff, but again it doesnt lead to anything. And of course it isnt safe. If thats the game you want to play, then you could play MK or Captain Falcon. They do that part of the neutral better AND have safer ground buttons.

Ok, well how about aerials? Overall they are solid actually, but Pit has the same problem Marth did before the buffs he got to his nair. Pit lacks flow from his SH air game to his ground game. He has nair and fair as auto cancels which definitely helps, but he cannot suddenly transition from an aerial based offense and go right into grounded mix-ups or pressure. This makes him more predictable. It makes him less threatening.

Specials are pretty good. Giving him a well rounded neutral game. He has a projectile, a reflector, and a super armored attack that lets him punish predictability. His projectile however isn't scary. It doesnt set up for anything. It can gimp opponents that are far off stage or annoy opponents that are on stage. That is about it. He cannot keep up constant pressure. His reflector does its job and allows him to stay in the game vs other projectile users. Solid option. But not game changing. Mewtwos reflector doubles as a command grab that does 12%. Something to think about. His side b lets him blow through an option in order to do decent damage. However its not particularly fast, is very unsafe, and doesn't kill well. Though Dark Pit's does kill better then Pit's.

So now onto recovery. Recovery is good as we all know. 3 jumps and a far reaching up b. If the Pit's aren't killed they should always make it back right? Yeah, but not without some broken limbs. See their up b has no hitbox. So its childs play to challenge. The Pit's are pretty easy prey to spike attempts, stage spikes if they mistime a tech and off stage harassment in general. Someone like Cloud can easily smack them with a dair through the stage.

IMO the only thing they really excel at is edgeguarding, but they arent even the best at that. Everything else is mediocre. At first glance it seems like they have all these solid tools. But when you inspect the data and then make direct comparisons to other similar tools in other characters arsenals, the Pit's fall short and look weaker and weaker by comparison.

They are the characters you pick to learn the game. Training wheels. They have no flaws that may cause you to lose a match, but they definitely don't have the juice that will help you win or allow you the creativity to develop your personal style. They are not dynamic enough or threatening enough. They have no niche. No trait they are dominant in. No incredible ability that is all their own. No Diddy banana control game, no Sheik godlike neutral and amazing bouncing fish, no ZSS zair and throw game, no Cloud limit system and limit cross slash and yeah.....no Ryu TSRK confirms that kill at ungodly low percents.

Even if you think they are good, there are just too many characters that can do what they do, but better/safer/faster/easier. And for me, thats evidence to show they just aren't good enough.
THANK YOU! This is everything and more that I've wanted to say about pit for the longest time.

Although, for recovery options, I would add that they have that super armored side B to help them get back. But even then, they have to wait 11 frames for the super armor to begin, and then it lasts for only 15 more frames which prevents the pits from venturing too far out and using it to get back. They also have aerial arrows to prevent people from reaching them offstage which is nice

Last edited:

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
There's no payout at Japanese tournaments, so he doesn't take them as seriously.

This is the general explanation provided and it's entirely plausible. Mindsets for tournies between Japan (due to gambling laws) and other regions will likely be very different since money is a large incentive in European, American, and Canadian tournaments.
I do not find this explanation plausible at all. Having personally lived in Japan for a year and now for almost a year in Europe, I have noticed very little difference in motivation between the two scenes. In both scenes, regardless of whether there's money on the line or not, players simply want to win, be it for pride and proving they are the very best. That's what they do it for. Intrinstic motivation is justso much stronger than extrinsic motivation (especially in a scene where even if there is money, the overwhelming majority doesn't win anything anyway: most attend tournaments because they want to). I highly doubt players like Abadango underperform because there's no money. Especially before or during the tournament I can only imagine he wants to win very badly, like every other player. It's only after the tournament where it's easier to shrug your losses off ans say it's "because there's no money".

I'm not saying money does not have any influence on a scene though. I can imagine money hungry top players being more secretive about their strategies so they keep winning everybody's money. However, in practice there are still many top players who do actively help their scene and region. In the long term, this is probably the most benificial thing anyway, since if your scene becomes strong, you as a player will become stronger as well. My point is that the presence of price money has a fairly negligible effect on motivation since intrinsic motivation is so much stronger.

Some characters/players tend to do better in certain regions than others, without it being very clear why. Mewtwo (or Abadango, who knows if its the character or the player that's the problem) doesn't seem to as well in Japan as in other regions, whereas somehow Duck Hunt does very well, with three different players (Brood, Yusan and Raito.) and Megaman actually wins tourneys. I really do wonder why.

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion

I do think they've overcooked this. Right now this looking like the most severe nerf in the game's history. Bayo's combo game is just completely disfunctional.
9B is using Mewtwo now, idk about Pink Fresh.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
@BunbUn129 @Ffamran

I never specifically said they were overnerfed. Well I'll say ZSS was but i didnt say it in my first post. (you can talk to Shaya Shaya about that)

It's worrying to see the devs just remove things willy nilly

Last edited:

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
So Tyroy AND 9B are picking up Mewtwo? If I'm correct on that.
9B is using Mewtwo now, idk about Pink Fresh.
Where did you hear this? I'm quite interested; if 9B and Tyroy really will play Mewtwo, that could also mean he could have even more future representation.

Last edited:

Funbot28

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlwaysDOMINATE
I still feel that Bayonetta has potential to at least stay between 6-15 range. She still has combos that deal quite a bit of damage and she is still somewhat good at baiting and punishing with Witch Time. The SDI adjustments really is what really hurt her imo, but after seeing what happened to Diddy and Shiek, I still have hope.

Last edited:

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
:4bayonetta: is probably gonna shift to a keepaway style. quick, safe burst mobility to shift positions, stupid projectile in bullet climax, and generally long range, low commitment moves. the reward just isnt there for going in. i predict that we'll still see ResidentSleepers in twitch chat, but for entirely different reasons.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Being homogenized is when you try too hard to balance things.

So using tourny results to show different characters placing doesn't make it look any better. just a side note

Browny

Smash Hater

Speaking of: I'm probably going to score GOML as a Major ala Pound 2016. I'm not entirely certain yet, but Europe, Canada, and Mexico's top players are attending, the respective #1 and #2 are attending, plus a very highly regarded SoCal player who consistent makes Top 8 at majors and supermajors (Larry Lurr) and also Anti, who's had a pretty clean track record and nearly took a set off of ZeRo.
This mentality is really bad.

You've got a player who has placed top 8 at multiple, including winning a USA major who very possibly is a top-10 competitor in the world for this game.

'Nah he doesnt take stacked Japanese tournaments seriously. Because I wouldn't try in a tournament without money, therefore neither does anyone else'.

Abadango loses in Japan to characters that wall him out harder than he walled Ally out at pound. That seems to be Abadangos weakness; anyone who can outcamp him. There are very few characters capable of that. Luckily for him in USA, not too many people play keep away for 8 minutes like the Japanese do. In that sense, the Japanese are taking the game MORE seriously than americans as optimal play means more walling out and not rushing in to get dat sweet oddshot.

Last edited:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
:4bayonetta: is probably gonna shift to a keepaway style. quick, safe burst mobility to shift positions, stupid projectile in bullet climax, and generally long range, low commitment moves. the reward just isnt there for going in. i predict that we'll still see ResidentSleepers in twitch chat, but for entirely different reasons.
I don't see this style of Bayonetta doing very well.

Yes, she can use burst mobility to shift positions, but dABK for that purpose does have lag, meaning characters with not terrible mobility will be able to keep on her. This'll put Bayo in that position where she won't get the reward she wants for the risk she has to take.

Bayonetta will have to play a very rough risk to reward game, with a much more heavily skewed risk factor, compared to her amazing reward factor.

ARISTOS

Smash Ace

So using tourny results to show different characters placing doesn't make it look any better. just a side note
Being homogenized is when playstyles overlap. You can balance and avoid homogenization, and you can remain imbalanced and still have a very homogenized game.

jespoke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jespoke
I still feel that Bayonetta has potential to at least stay between 6-15 range. She still has combos that deal quite a bit of damage and she is still somewhat good at baiting and punishing with Witch Time. The SDI adjustments really art what her her imo, but after seeing what happened to Diddy and Shiek, I still have hope.
Now i am legit curious what you were trying to say here.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
...This has to be one of the stupider things I've read for quite a while.

Homogenization is not the inevitable result of balance. It's a pathetic, mealy-mouthed bogeyman brought up to spread fear, uncertainty, and doubt at the prospect of balance patches rolling down the slippery slope and going *gasp!* too far!

This game is not particularly well balanced, and it's nowhere even near the goal line of having a strong majority of the cast be viable. Certainly, it is both much more balanced than it was when it was released, and much more balanced than both of its predecessors. On the other hand, considering it's a modern game with (presumably) modern game design, being better balanced than Melee's insane development and Brawl's absolute trash balance is to be expected. On that selfsame note, if a game with a year+ of active balance patches wasn't more balanced than when it debuted, it would only be because of the team's abject failure.

So yes, the game is more balanced than both those before it and itself at launch. But in the context of the times? That's not exactly anything special. And it's certainly not helped by idiots who claim that balance is something to fear.

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Lol you guys are ridiculous

My quote:

Being balanced is an obvious importance; that's not up for debate (melee's top tiers are balanced with one another. They counter each other very well). But, there's levels to how much do you want the game balanced. Like for example, Do you guys want the balance team to continue to tweak the game to make it more even balanced? Should We tone down the entire top tier characters again to make everyone on near-exact equal footing? That's what I mean by homogenizing; when you are balancing beyond what is needed for a healthy game.

And this
Being homogenized is when playstyles overlap. You can balance and avoid homogenization, and you can remain imbalanced and still have a very homogenized game.
I see what you're saying. Especially on the latter area. I remember reading a post from kirbykaze saying that the melee top tiers are very homogenous than we realize and it makes sense. Fox and falco are semi clones who has access to the exact same tools with different effects, every top tier chain grabs, nearly every top tier has bad recovery and excellent onstage game, and every top tier has dumb tools that can do very similar things. The former is more like this game and ST. I say homogenization will more occur more likely in extreme games where it's ridiculously too balanced, or ridiculously imbalanced. The middle ground will breed the most diversity.

But that homogenization stuff wasn't even my main thing that I was trying to talk about. My real point was that there are no characters that are super Versatile/diverse that allows you to do it all (characters like that are not always imbalanced. I think mewtwo, sheik, and ROB are some).

Last edited:

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
Lol you guys are ridiculous

My quote:

Being balanced is an obvious importance; that's not up for debate (melee's top tiers are balanced with one another. They counter each other very well). But, there's levels to how much do you want the game balanced. Like for example, Do you guys want the balance team to continue to tweak the game to make it more even balanced? Should We tone down the entire top tier characters again to make everyone on near-exact equal footing? That's what I mean by homogenizing; when you are balancing beyond what is needed for a healthy game.
That's an incorrect definition of the term.

Regardless, we aren't near that point nor will we ever likely be

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
That's an incorrect definition of the term.

Regardless, we aren't near that point nor will we ever likely be
i wasn't using the definition of homogenization there, only showing the basis to it.

But this debate is trash and benefits no one, so it's not healthy to continue this homogenization topic.

(Switch up): where's sonic nowadays? This guy has teller off the popularity train irl and in this thread. Is he just a solid top tier that no one goes to like Rosa?

Last edited:

Quantumpen

Smash Apprentice
This mentality is really bad.

You've got a player who has placed top 8 at multiple, including winning a USA major who very possibly is a top-10 competitor in the world for this game.

'Nah he doesnt take stacked Japanese tournaments seriously. Because I wouldn't try in a tournament without money, therefore neither does anyone else'.

Abadango loses in Japan to characters that wall him out harder than he walled Ally out at pound. That seems to be Abadangos weakness; anyone who can outcamp him. There are very few characters capable of that. Luckily for him in USA, not too many people play keep away for 8 minutes like the Japanese do. In that sense, the Japanese are taking the game MORE seriously than americans as optimal play means more walling out and not rushing in to get dat sweet oddshot.

I agree with this -- but even by Japanese tourney standards him being out that early is a pretty big upset. The Japanese tourneys just seem to have so much variety. There seem to be so many players who are close to top player level playing a much wider range of characters.

Btw, Aba's said on twitter that he doesn't take Umebura's seriously, but I think he still tries to win -- he's just not upset if he doesn't. He didn't say "I lost because of no money." His actual response to losing was something about eating bad dumplings and having food poisoning -- but he seemed fine on stream so possibly just johns?

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I'm not gonna admonish 9B and Tyroy for dropping Bayonetta. You do you.

I will however point out that they both went to the other mobile lightweight with large pokes that can confirm into an attack that kills at wtf precents.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
I'm not gonna admonish 9B and Tyroy for dropping Bayonetta. You do you.

I will however point out that they both went to the other mobile lightweight with large pokes that can confirm into an attack that kills at wtf precents.
Where did you find this? I don't see anything that says that.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
9B and Tyroy have already shown they cannot play neutral worth a damn.

Their success with mewtwo hinges on whether or not they actually learn how to play the damn game.

Djent

Smash Champion

No confirmation on 9B, but Pink Fresh said he was "staying silent" about his main (this was in Umebura chat).

juddy96

Smash Lord
A couple notable upsets in GOML pools

PikaPika! :4pikachu: or :4cloud2: beat DarkAura :4greninja: 2-1
Max Ketchum :4cloud2: beat SuperGirlKels :4sonic: 2-0
Astro :4lucario: beat JJROCKETS :4diddy: 2-1

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Trela and I discussed this earlier today on facebook. My "brother" is the number 1 Ryu apologist I swear haha. My thing is this...Ryu's tremendous power that can be comboed into is his niche. It's what he does. That is his gameplan. REAL confirms into game ending conversions. He trades mobility for that. He trades having a linear recovery for that. He trades having smashes with no good kill power besides a spaced f-smash for that. Hadoukens can be swatted out of the air. His approach is very vulnerable to pivot actions on reaction. The man DOES have his issues despite the incredible power he has.

Take away that power....and why would you play this character in a competitive setting?

This is a serious question.

Next post will be about the Pit's I promise.
This is all true, but it hasn't stopped the advantaged states of other characters who are in a similar predicament from being toned down, that is Falcon, Luigi and ZSS (+ Bayo and MK who were more about removing things that were fundamentally unintentional). They all had clear holes in their game which they made up for with their punish games, and chunks of that were taken away from them with no true compensation elsewhere (or any compensation at all). Now people are left wondering why Ryu has been ignored through all of this.

Things that affect neutral and disadvantage are of course modified as well, but not nearly to the same extent as things that affect punish game. The characters whose strength is their advantage always lose more, which is relatively stupid.

Nerfing advantaged states isn't a problem by itself of course, but giving no compensation for it is. Really extreme designs are competitively bad because one or two guesses can win or lose the match for either player, not just due to major mess ups or clutches, but because the character's design consistently enables a scenario like that. Instead you should be able to guess right consistently to prove that you're the better player, and it doesn't need to be done if your reward for guessing right once is massive. Similarly, if your punishment for guessing wrong is huge, the opponent can more likely win the match due to mere chance.

Of course there still needs to be variation, otherwise you're just homogenizing the cast too far, but there's a case to be made for Ryu still crossing the border. I'd rather just stop here with the patches though, as it feels like there will always be new things to nitpick.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
This is all true, but it hasn't stopped the advantaged states of other characters who are in a similar predicament from being toned down, that is Falcon, Luigi and ZSS (+ Bayo and MK who were more about removing things that were fundamentally unintentional). They all had clear holes in their game which they made up for with their punish games, and chunks of that were taken away from them with no true compensation elsewhere (or any compensation at all). Things that affect neutral and disadvantage are of course modified as well, but not nearly to the same extent as things that affect punish game. In the end, people are left wondering why Ryu has been ignored through all of this.

Nerfing advantaged states isn't a problem by itself, but giving no compensation for it is. Really extreme designs are competitively bad because one or two guesses can win or lose the match for either player. Instead you should be able to guess right consistently to prove that you're the better player, and it doesn't need to be done if your reward for guessing right once is massive. Similarly, if your punishment for guessing wrong is huge, the opponent can more likely win the match due to mere chance. Of course there still needs to be variation, otherwise you're just homogenizing the cast too far, but there's a case to be made for Ryu still crossing the border. I'd rather just stop here with the patches though, as it feels like there will always be a new thing to nitpick.
If I had to give an answer as to why Ryu has been left alone it would two things.

1) Results

He lacks the dominance those other characters did. From the time Bayo dropped she was doing work. 9B did the best, but ALOT of players were doing much better with her. She showed that her divekick isnt a move this series is really made to handle, at least not in it's previous form. Hell the cast still really can't handle it, but the reward is now so low that you dont need to be afraid. People say Ryu isn't hard to play but the proof is in the pudding. There is a reason why He isn't dominant. He has counter play and exploitable flaws. The main thing that is while his disadvantage is good, it is no where NEAR as free as Bayo, MK, Diddy, Sheik or ZSS. There are characters that can legit put Ryu in bad positions and he has to play it out. Those other chars do not.

2) Neutral state to KO confirm transitions

His neutral does not transition directly into his advantage very easily. Bayo had instant air dive kicks. MK had dash attack and dash grab. ZSS has various ways to set up a grab. Sheik has fair into....everything. All of Ryu's neutral tools do great RAW damage, but do not transition to his actual win condition of get a confirm into a shoryu. If a Ryu is hungry for that confirm he must threaten with his options and space appropriately, allowing his opponent to hang themselves with their own errors. OR he can take a gamble with something like dash in, cross-up roll, d-tilt string after he gets behind them. Ryu has a really bad roll in terms of invincibility frames so he can get swatted by a stray poke in this scenario pretty easily. If Ryu could do d-throw, jab cancel to SRK man oh man would I want SRK nerfed. But right now he doesnt have that. He is no Diddy. Hell Diddys dtilt is a better confirm then anything Ryu has during footsie interactions and his usmash kills at around 130% which makes sense. The closest he has is dash in full jump nair and if it hits he can dair spike or he will have to Nair again depending on his opponent. Now this is effective but if it's blocked Ryu is in a bad position so risk vs reward is equal here.

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
Abadango doing worse in Japan might also be because they have considered mewtwo a serious threat since the very beginning and thus know the MU much better.

KamikazePotato

Smash Journeyman
While we're on the subject of Japan - what are the biggest known differences between the major metas of the different Smash regions? (besides just saying 'skill level')

USA:
Pro Ike
Anti Duck Hunt

Japan:
Pro Duck Hunt
Anti Ike
Pro Pac-Man

Europe:
Pro Greninja

What else?

Status
Not open for further replies.