• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
There was also a small local in Houston today. Trela won (narrowly) after being taken to game 3 by two different bayonetta players.

Trela has gone to last game with every Bayo he has played, regardless of skill level. I don't think Ryu beats Bayo.

juddy96

Smash Lord
There was also a small local in Houston today. Trela won (narrowly) after being taken to game 3 by two different bayonetta players.

Trela has gone to last game with every Bayo he has played, regardless of skill level. I don't think Ryu beats Bayo.
You have a bracket for that? I could use it for my list

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Top 8 at Melbourne 8

WINNERS:
Mr. R :4sheik:
vs.
Umeki :4peach:

Abadango :4mewtwo:
vs.
9B :4bayonetta:

LOSERS:

Ghostbone :4bayonetta:, :4metaknight:
vs.
Jaice :rosalina:, :4olimar:, :4mewtwo:

Jezmo :4diddy:
vs.
Waveguider :4wiifit:, :4greninja:

13th-9th:

9th: Extra :4gaw:
9th: Earl :4ryu:
9th: Nikes :4yoshi:
9th: MM :4palutena:
13th: Boozer :4bowser:
13th: Poppt1 :4ness:
13th: Eternal :4sheik:, :4cloud2:
13th: Duon :4fox:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
His Top 24 bracket run was RunCT (W), Awestin (L), Jerm (W), Hakii (W), P2P With Gibus (W), BC (W), Karna (W), AeroLink (L)
Also played Nicole and TTNLucy/Shadowpj in pools bracket beforehand.

Also, BC used :4villager:. I think everyone in top 24 used a different character, with the exception of :4bayonetta: and :4robinm:

Or at least, top 8 was all different characters.

Great job, Mr. Johan Mr. Johan ! That's a really impressive result. Any big wins? Might have to peep those vods. Always cool to see some less egotistical known Robins get some results.
Only sets with me on stream were vs. Karna and vs. Aerolink.

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
There was a problem fetching the tweet

I know I'm an outspoken Pika pessimist but honestly I've seen Captain L play personally before and this may just be possible, L's style is a lot more conservative than ESAM's in kill situations. I still think Mario is awful for Pikachu, but it's nice to see that a style switchup can actually mess with one of the best Marios and force him off of Mario in a matchup that is regarded as so terrible for Pika.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
In my absence, Diddy is regarded as #1 by most, and Mewtwo is also considered a Top Tier.

Good stuff.

Nocally

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3840-6058-2117
There was a problem fetching the tweet

I know I'm an outspoken Pika pessimist but honestly I've seen Captain L play personally before and this may just be possible, L's style is a lot more conservative than ESAM's in kill situations. I still think Mario is awful for Pikachu, but it's nice to see that a style switchup can actually mess with one of the best Marios and force him off of Mario.
I would say it´s highly possible. It's kinda the issue with ESAM´s preferable style of play with "rushdowning" too much and trade unfavorably with his opponents. Pikachu is ok up close, but characters like mario and Ness are much better with better reward while being harder to string combos on because of their stats and quick moveset.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
In my absence, Diddy is regarded as #1 by most, and Mewtwo is also considered a Top Tier.

Good stuff.
I see you have an eye for things, guy's not just about chargin', it's about footstoolin', you'll know what I'm talkin' 'bout.

(Translation: I don't think it's a top tier just yet. Mewtwo doesn't seem to have the significantly high enough results to call him that yet, would he? Also, if there are gratuitous references within this post, you're welcome.)

Djent

Smash Champion
Hard for me to imagine Pika actually "does well" vs. Mario, but if you're mentally set on playing the matchup one way and your opponent switches it up, you might just struggle anyway. This could be a breakthrough, or it could just be a triumph of player psychology over perfect theory. Tough to say.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
iStudying lost to Rich Brown as well. Mewtwo could be a bad MU for Greninja. But then Abadango has been knocked into losers by a Greninja before so who knows. Still think the MU is even, the two Ubers can kinda body each other. Dark beats Psychic anyway.

Indeed, Greninja doesn't make for a good secondary. He rewards you a lot for the time you put in, but the time people put into their secondaries isn't usually enough.

Main Greninja and get a CP for Sonic, then you're good. Cloud is the best choice due to being effective and easy.

but he was not some low mid tier character like some people tried to claim, the same thing happended with diddy, MVD and zer0 saying he is at best top 15 post nerf, or recently sheik now is top 10 she has no kill setups, sonic mains crying because they can't pull a ness at the ledge with back throw or you remember how people made a huge deal about :4corrinf: nerfs, is more about overreaction itself and how it spread in the community that the position of the character in the tier list, right now people are saying :4metaknight: is mid tier, and we have less than 2 months with these nerfs, making statements like these is one of the reason why misinformation is prevalent in the community.
He probably was low mid tier.

At the time he still had to deal with pre-patch Diddy, Sheik, Sonic and ZSS. His ground game fell apart without good shurikens and the only thing that was still really good about him was his dashgrab. Better shields hurt him too, since he was easily punishable on shield but had such crappy OoS options that he still couldn't punish anything. The only notable characters he did well against back then were Luigi and arguably Mario.

Greninja was held above low tier by his mobility, burst options (dashgrab) and damage output, which was still higher than most of the low tiers. In the current patch, nerfed Greninja would be closer to the middle of mid tier. He'd be about as good as Robin, in the 30-35 range.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Aba plays the Bayo matchup badly

9B > Aba 3-1.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
So the way I see it, right now Diddy and Bayonetta are getting the best results. Globally.
Then there's three characters that have outstanding results in various regions: Sheik [SoCal, top 2 region], Sonic [Japan, other top 2 region] and Fox [all over the place];

Uber Tier: :4bayonetta::4diddy:
Top Tier: :4sheik::4sonic::4fox:

That would probably the top 5 based on global results right now. Das Koopa Das Koopa had Cloud as 4th last time I think but I'm not 100% sure where that's coming from. Cloud doesn't win anything and most of the time he places well as a secondary character - that's probably where his points are coming from, nobody seems to do particulalry well with him solo. Cloud seems to have at least two niches that will keep him relevant in the metagame [easy and effective secondary character and very good in doubles] but his top tier position in singles is still highly hypothetical.
Rosalina's results also have become rare. Dabuz hasn't attended a major tournament since Pound 2016 where he 'only' got 13th, Kirihara seems to be inactive and falln lives in a very tough region to compete in. Most of the work for her is being done by Atelier right now but she still suffers against Cloud and MK. She'll probably have to duke it out with Cloud, Mewtwo, Mario and ZSS for a spot between 6th and 9th ... for now, that is.

:059:

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Waveguider up 2-0 on Umeki by pure jank (Umeki SDs game 1, gets Stretcher'd by Town & City game 2)

such a frustrating set to watch lol

Flux0r

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Flux0r
Umeki takes it 3-2 over Waveguider! Most entertaining set so far imo.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Still interesting to see Street Fighter go against what is essentially a Marvel vs. character.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
To reiterate, I def don't think Ryu beats Bayo. I think he is one of the few chars that can shut down nonsense like random slide kicks and bad dive kicks, but he doesnt beat her. imo of course.

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
It's nice to see Cosmos getting 1st. Now if only he can do that more often. Now from Umeki vs Abadango, Mewtwo seems to slightly win that matchup as Abadango keeps out out spacing and out ranging Peach. However Peach can still fight back as seen in game 3

EDIT:Aba takes it 3-2

Last edited:

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
Abadango takes it 3-2 over Umeki. Practically last hit. It was intense, my god.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Abadango wins.

That Up smash call out at Game 1 was great, but he got too carried away. And Abadango was having a hard time dealing with Peach's ledge get up options. And he was going for some very bad panic nairs. I guess even he isn't immune to that bad habit.

He should probably be playing a little better than this.

:150:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Abadango wins

thank god he's playing the MU right again. though those sliding up smashes are not recommended.

:150:

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
Abandango resets the bracket with his Dark/Psychic Pokémon (lol). Let's go!

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
Fun fact: Abadango has now taken a set off of three of the the top 4 Sheiks with Mewtwo.

Make of that what you will.

Last edited:

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
What a tournament.
Mr r takes it 3-1 in the bracket reset
He deserved this win after placing top 8 for so long over this games lifespan.
Good going mr r
Abadango went out in an unfortunate way sadly

Last edited:

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
Wow, that missed the tech. Congratulations to Mr R for the win! Amazing plays from both sides. It was really enjoyable and a great technical show off.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Battle Arena Melbourne 8 Top 16

1st: Mr. R :4sheik:
2nd: Abadango :4mewtwo:, :4diddy:
3rd: 9B :4bayonetta:
4th: Umeki :4peach:
5th: Ghostbone :4bayonetta:, :4metaknight:, :4fox:
5th: Waveguider :4wiifit:, :4greninja:
7th: Jaice :rosalina:, :4olimar:, :4bayonetta:, :4mewtwo:
7th: Jezmo :4diddy:
9th: Extra :4gaw:
9th: Earl :4ryu:
9th: Nikes :4yoshi:
9th: MM :4palutena:
13th: Boozer :4bowser:
13th: Poppt1 :4ness:
13th: Eternal :4sheik:, :4cloud2:
13th: Duon :4fox:

Last edited:

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
That was a hype top 8. If the summer tournaments are anything like that then we're in for a good time.

Shady Shaymin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-3217-2048
What an effing set. I live for displays of technical dexterity and mindgames between players like Mr. R and Abadango. Both of them were playing out of their minds, and there were few moments where a huge lead was held for more than about 30 seconds. When Mr. R read Abadango's edge cancel, we all collectively **** ourselves. When Abadango landed disable...so on and so forth.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Umeki still doing fantastic work with Peach......I'm loving it.

I knew she was always capable and it's becoming more apparent, so props to Umeki.......sadly I have to wait until these matches are uploaded to YouTube or something, it does sound awesome. I REALLY wanna see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom