• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Charizard took top 16 at a regional.

Please let this be a sign that people are actually playing him now.

Honestly, Zard, Miis and Duck Hunt are screwed over because people straight up don't play them when they have potential.

They can do some seriously crazy things.
Who honestly wants to play Miis when they have so many bans against their customers moveset, which I feel limits them heavily. Like Palutena, a non 1-1-1-1 set is mandatory or they will stay near bottom tier. They are so underplayed, is there even one mii gunner/brawler/swordsman mii who posts on here? Well there's that one new gunner poster I saw that's about it. And thus, no one talks about them, I forgot often they are in the game. Personally they are doomed to the bottom since of the rulesets of the game, flat out. No one wants to explore their Meta when there is pretty much zero support to work with them in the community or even a notable top player to set a framework for newbies? How about that Pound 2016, no Miis there that placed high I think.

Even the ban on FG hurts them, not everyone always has a partner at hand to spar or wants to look on ladders for matches, pretty much searching in the character boards which may or may not have members on at the time.

Poor miis are screwed. Shame because they came out better than anticipated, I loath them before

As for Charizard and Duck Hunt...well Zard got a nice shave in frames and Duck Hunt is slowly creeping up in results. They have a little room to grow. I'm going to say a little for now, and can make the mid tiers with some dedication in the lower end.

More than I can say for Miis.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Come to think of it....

For all of the Miis... :4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:

What are their best top tier matchups?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Except this ties into two of Dedede's biggest weakness: having the second worst landing options in the game after Bowser and having no safe close combat options aside from his shield grab. Once you do break Dedede's zone, it's hard for him to get back into it except against slow (whether in the air, on the ground, or both) characters. For example, Mario and Cloud outmaneuver Dedede and can juggle him to oblivion while characters like Megaman and Villager can outzone him until it's time to get the kill. Dedede's disadvantage state onstage is pretty bad and, because of being wheezy and diabetic, Dedede doesn't get "HA HA, THE TABLES HAVE TURNED" moments on stage except with shield breaks or early fsmash kills.
WTF Bowser doesn't have the worse landing options in the game lol

He's at least has better options than DK. Bowser at least has semi fast aerials on either side and below him. He also has a command grab, and firebreath can be used if you predict they'll just shield and punish your option.

His options aren't good because they're all commitments but he at least has a option for every option the opponent has. Punishing DK's landing is free everytime his back isn't towards you.

Chuva

Smash Apprentice
Diddy lose to Roslina
Not directed to you specifically, but it's just that I've been reading this so many times...

Last year I was on a 6 or so months hiatus of competitive Smash and I remember when I last posted on Smashboards it was a common agreement that Diddy was one of Rosalina's worst matchups (remember back in the days when Dabuz used to switch to Olimar for this matchup?). Now since I came back I keep hearing Rosalina is Diddy's antichrist and nemesis: I can't help but feel inclined to refute such notion:

1.0.6 and 1.0.8 nerfs obviously alleviated the matchup for Rosalina (no more dying to silly falling horizontal enraged Uairs at 90%, Dthrow combos no longer racking over 30% etc). The development of Rosalina's own metagame (specially her crawling options) is also a big deal. However, some of Diddy's positive attributes in this matchup are pretty much intact after the nerfs.

• Fair and Monkey Flip hitbox positioning and frame speed are still excellent for dealing with Rosalina's zoning. The kick variant from Monkey Flip continues to be a top tier option for knocking Luma offstage;
  • Dtilt is still a powerful launcher and kill setup that abuses of Rosalina's physics and lack of a fast, Lumaless reversal;
  • Diddy's advantage state against her remains opressive. His landing mixups, juggles and overall mobility are still solid. It should be almost impossible for a Lumaless Rosalina to land against Diddy, save for very specific circunstances (stages, going for the ledge etc);
  • Managing to get Rosalina in the air can still reward a potential Banana setup along with the proper positioning to punish any Gravitational Pull on reaction, intensifying the abovementioned problem.

I honestly have no idea how this trend of "Rosalina beats Diddy" started but I don't believe that's the case both from a theory and a results point of view. I recall Dabuz still feels it's an even matchup and so is the case for the top Rosalina players in my country. That's probably the consensus from the Rosa mains' point of view to be honest.

From my point of view, all the compilation of Diddy nerfs ever did was reduce his overwhelming reward, meaning he now has to go through the headache of playing the neutral against Rosalina more often. That doesn't mean it's a losing matchup. I personally see it as even (possibly +1 for Rosalina in T&C)

Could we please have a proper dialectical discussion about this matchup before reverberating "Diddy loses to Rosalina" over and over?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
There's no beating ESAM in a match up discussion.
I would know.
https://youtu.be/MJLmgnFpJg8?t=15s
This will always be timeless, sadly Nike's Gold digger vid got copyrighted finally after all these years :(

That aside, ESAM's chart is weird. Neither Yoshi nor Pika got nerfs/buffs and the MU was perceived even but now it's +1 for Pika. Weird but not complaining.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
WTF Bowser doesn't have the worse landing options in the game lol

He's at least has better options than DK. Bowser at least has semi fast aerials on either side and below him. He also has a command grab, and firebreath can be used if you predict they'll just shield and punish your option.

His options aren't good because they're all commitments but he at least has a option for every option the opponent has. Punishing DK's landing is free everytime his back isn't towards you.
Bowser's aerials have a lot of landing lag and, if they're baited out, you can expect a hard punish, the flying slam grab doesn't work below him, and firebreath is a slap on the risk at worst. This is why matchups like Cloud, Rosa, and Sonic are bad; if he's in the air, he's going to have a hell of a time getting down. As for DK, he has better aerial acceleration (39th to 46th), more of a fall speed than Bowser (22nd to 42nd), better air speed (9th compared to 31st), and has a faster fast fall (12th compared to 36th) meaning that if the player were to do nothing but put in directional inputs, DK moves through the air faster and hits the ground sooner. Bowser's best bet is to try to Bowser bomb the ledge (if he's above it, that is) and that's risky in itself if the spacing is off and they accidentally SD or land on the stage. As for DK, he moves fast enough in the air that, if he's in a particularly tight pinch, he can fast fall off the stage and then use Spinning Kong to the ledge (or even just skim it to get past) or a platform. For common examples of this, you can see DKWill do this in a lot of matches.

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
Who honestly wants to play Miis when they have so many bans against their customers moveset, which I feel limits them heavily. Like Palutena, a non 1-1-1-1 set is mandatory or they will stay near bottom tier. They are so underplayed, is there even one mii gunner/brawler/swordsman mii who posts on here? Well there's that one new gunner poster I saw that's about it. And thus, no one talks about them, I forgot often they are in the game. Personally they are doomed to the bottom since of the rulesets of the game, flat out. No one wants to explore their Meta when there is pretty much zero support to work with them in the community or even a notable top player to set a framework for newbies? How about that Pound 2016, no Miis there that placed high I think.

Even the ban on FG hurts them, not everyone always has a partner at hand to spar or wants to look on ladders for matches, pretty much searching in the character boards which may or may not have members on at the time.

Poor miis are screwed. Shame because they came out better than anticipated, I loath them before

As for Charizard and Duck Hunt...well Zard got a nice shave in frames and Duck Hunt is slowly creeping up in results. They have a little room to grow. I'm going to say a little for now, and can make the mid tiers with some dedication in the lower end.

ROM is a Mii Gunner main in Japan that has gotten some results. He tied for 9th in Wombo Wednesday, and he got 97th in Genesis 3. He also participated in a doubles tournament in Japan recently, but I am not sure how well his team did. There is also a Mii Gunner main in Mexico named KV Flama who got second in Mexican regional. Although Mii Gunner doesn't have a lot of tournament representation, Gunner has gotten some results in the past two months.

We have enough players to help out newer Gunner players, but it would be nice if there were more players labbing out the character. There still have been some recent findings with Gunner such as lunar cancelling. While the for glory ban on Miis is inconvenient, tournament mode helps mitigate this issue. I'm usually on the Mii Gunner boards, but there aren't very many people looking for help.

Mii Brawler and Mii Swordfighter have also gotten some results recently, but they haven't gotten many 1111 results. I haven't been on either one of their boards lately, but the Swordfighter boards tend to be more active than the Brawler boards.

The lack of top players for the Miis is a much bigger weakness than any other weaknesses that they have, since it leads to other players perceiving weaknesses in a character that aren't even there. One of the worst cases I've seen is someone on YouTube claiming that Mii Brawler is slow (although I think that Mii Brawler is the worst character in the game, mobility isn't a problem for Brawler at all). The Smashwiki for Mii Gunner also has a lot of misinformation. I am currently considering making a thread on the Gunner boards that points out common misconceptions about Gunner and explains why they are wrong, because of the misinformation that causes some of the other character boards to put that they beat Gunner 70:30 or worse without discussing the matchup with the Gunner boards. This is an issue for some other characters, but it seems like it is a bigger issue for miis.

Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei , As of right now, it looks like Sheik might be our best top tier matchup based on results alone (KV Flama beat Wonf's prepatch Sheik in the only tournament matchup between the two characters. In my opinion, that matchup is even due to the Sheik nerfs), but I am honestly not sure. Out of all of the top tiers, I think that Mii Gunner does the best against :4bayonetta:,:4cloud:,:4ryu: (assuming that Ryu is still considered a top tier),:4sonic:,:4metaknight:, and:4zss:.

Yikarur

Smash Master
Lol good old MU discussions. That was a terrible time in Brawl life's span. Esam frustrated me seveal times haha

I only play Custom Guest Brawler because thats basically the standard here. (and should be standard everywhere obviously)
Custom Guest Brawlers isn't that impressive overall. I think he has a looot of even MU's.
I think he goes even with ZSS, Mario, Fox. Even or -1 with Bayonetta, and Diddy, -1 with (most) Swordfighters and Pikachu and -2 with Sheik. Rosalina is a weird. Could go from +1 to -1 but at top level it's most likely disadvantaged.
I don't think Custom Brawler has a true winning MU among the Top Tiers.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Do any of mii's have kill confirms? I know gunner has some stuff with missile -> charge shot, but I don't think he can really fish for this since the charge shot has to be fired before the missile is confirmed to hit. (Or is it charge shot from flame pillar?)

Idk, I do imagine gunner has some decent traps due to his range and long lasting hitboxes...

But do any of the other miis get kill confirms off of tilts or landing aerials? something consistently able to be landed even if someon knows the MU?

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I don't want this to become a "do tiers really matter/exist?" but I think perhaps there's something in ESAM's thinking that points towards an unspoken disagreement in how we view tiers/character potential/etc.

I think ESAM believes that Pikachu has all of the tools to outplay your opponent, but if a character can beat another character as long as the first player "outplays" the second, does that not count because "outplaying" implies that one character is better than the other?

If Pikachu needs to guess more often, but the cards are in its favor (meaning that while it has to guess it has a higher probability of getting it right), does that mean Pikachu over the course of a match has "more and more chances to win due to having the odds in your favor" or "less and less probability of winning due to having that random factor?"

If you're better, and you can constantly set up situations where the odds are to your advantage, but you can never get to that 100% guarantee (i.e. kill confirms), does that spell out a good character or a mediocre one?

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
How exactly does:

A) Allowing Sheiks to pursue more unique options and the whole of their character's tools

and

B) Removing many high- and upper-mid-tier characters' primary roadblock

make the game less interesting?

also,
ESAM's Pikachu matchup chart:

honestly very shocked by this, he only cites three characters as losing matchups and only cites 4 as 50:50, with the rest being 55:45 or better. thoughts?
I was jesting, just FYI. The long post I wrote a page or so ago was to disprove the delusion that nerfing overpowered options made the game less interesting.

How on earth is a game in which the top character hard-counters 4/5's of the cast more interesting than the one we currently have?

I like to sum up Smash 4's current meta game as this: imagine we're all sitting on a porch, eagerly waiting for someone to answer and open the door. We've heard about how wonderful this house is, but we've never been able to get even a glimpse of its interior. On the inside, we have a nicely balanced fighting game. The lock on the door is Bayonetta.

We've been on a long journey. We've seen the dominions of Rosalina, Diddy, and Sheik rise and fall. We're not far from where we need to be, and Bayonetta is the final boss.

On the subject of "just buff everyone," this (IMO) would not be healthy for the game, because by taking this approach, the only real way to balance the game is to give everyone over-centralizing options. And giving everyone overpowering options would only result in more degenerative gameplay. But by nerfing the small number of characters with such options, you're making gameplay less cancerous and in turn giving all the other characters a better chance at success.

So many characters have been relieved by the nerfs to Sheik and MK, and this improved balance would be hard to achieve by just buffing everyone else. Because by giving only more overpowering options, the game becomes less about skill and fundamentals and more about "who can land their broken set-up first?"

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
I like to sum up Smash 4's current meta game as this: imagine we're all sitting on a porch, eagerly waiting for someone to answer and open the door. We've heard about how wonderful this house is, but we've never been able to get even a glimpse of its interior. On the inside, we have a nicely balanced fighting game. The lock on the door is Bayonetta.
The key for that lock is labelled "adaptation" but it was lost a few years ago and no-one can be bothered to find it.

Last edited:

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
tbh :4bayonetta2: isnt really that unbalanced. it's just that counterplay to her is so unappealing to your average player(press very few buttons if any at all, dont "go in" unless it's very favorable to the aggressor, don't follow up on an advantaged position)that it's induced widespread complaining.

Lag Chan

Fastfall Nair Everyday
NNID
BlankaHondaShrek
Do any of mii's have kill confirms? I know gunner has some stuff with missile -> charge shot, but I don't think he can really fish for this since the charge shot has to be fired before the missile is confirmed to hit. (Or is it charge shot from flame pillar?)

Idk, I do imagine gunner has some decent traps due to his range and long lasting hitboxes...

But do any of the other miis get kill confirms off of tilts or landing aerials? something consistently able to be landed even if someon knows the MU?
Might as well help out where I can. The best I've seen is Swordfighter, mainly due to how stupid their Uair is. They've got a Hoo Hah that is guaranteed at higher percents and can easily KO at under 100%, but this is pretty dependent on stuff like weight, rage and falling speed. It doesn't work at KO percents on floaties. This is probably why Swordfighters do well against Fox since his falling speed and lightweight means Fox is gonna lose a stock at like 80% from this.

Also Swordfighter has a tricker but more consistent KO confirm out of fastfall Uair to Uair. Hits them with the late hit of Uair cause the hitbox is huge and is part of the body of the sword, pops them up and then you can follow up with another Uair that can KO pretty well. KOs Jiggly at like 75% or so and works on Dedede at 110%, so as long as you're fast enough and can read their DI it should be guaranteed on the whole cast. Only issue is that Swordfighter's air mobility is kind of crap, so getting in there and being able to pull it off can be a bit tricky.

Edit: Also as a little extra, Swordfighter's Uair is so dumb it can kill a grounded opponent earlier than any of his other aerials, even his Bair which is his next best KO move. Brawler has a similar thing where grounded Dair KOs earlier than all their other aerials.

Last edited:

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
The key for that lock is labelled "adaptation" but it was lost a few years ago and no-one can be bothered to find it.
Of course, we need to adapt. Always. But I can also be reasonable and point out that Bayonetta is poorly designed. People make the mistake of thinking these two things are mutually exclusive. "Either you complain or you adapt." But you know you can do both, right?

Bayonetta isn't broken. But she is poorly designed and she is an anomaly among the cast.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
If you really think with bayo gone people won't find a new character to complain about you're deluding yourself.

(which is essentially what is implied when you say there's a well balanced game that bayo is covering)

Bayo's not dominating tournaments (she's not even the most common character), there's no evidence she's holding back diversity at all.

Last edited:

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
If you really think with bayo gone people won't find a new character to complain about you're deluding yourself.
Are you telling me people will always find a character to complain about? Wow, who would have figured that out?!

Bayonetta is an anomaly in much the same way as 1.1.4 Meta Knight, and perhaps more so. She is not ban-worthy, but I'm being reasonable: her play style is set apart from the rest of the cast that she is an obstacle to the meta game. Again, this goes back to the fact that counter-play does not always solve underlying balance issues.

Last edited:

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Bayonetta can't be an obstacle to the metagame, she doesn't dominate mid/low tiers any more than other top tiers do.

Your statement doesn't make sense, the playstyle of one character doesn't hinder the development of others. You know who's the real elephant in the room, and the most important MU for every character right now? It's Cloud.

Yikarur

Smash Master
I think Cloud is more problematic, because even my mother could play Cloud and do decently in tournament.
I don't see that being the case with Bayonetta. Bayonetta needs labwork. Everyone should just grind the MU and training mode and try to find out what works with their character. Developing counterplay is just a lot of work and needs a lot of patient. Crying doesn't make you a better player.

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
Regarding Miis, I think it's worth noting that according to KuroganeHammer, Brawler boasts more weight, less gravity, and across the board better mobility than Mario. Brawler's utilt is slightly stronger than Mario's with an extra active frame. Brawler also has a frame 3 nair that does 10 damage to Mario's 8, and its fair allows it to attack facing forward, unlike Mario. The rest of its aerials are a bit slower than Mario's, but still very usable. So where does Brawler go wrong?

Still comparing to Mario, Brawlers smashes have really bad endlag after the hitbox finishes, particularly with fsmash active on f17 with a FAF of 68. 1111 Brawler can't autosnap to the ledge, and can't really drift either because of the falling axe kick, so once its off stage its probably the easiest character to edge guard after LM. Shotput is OK, ghetto raptor boost is decent, down-b is total ****.

1111 Brawler is a case of 'why bother?' when Mario exists.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Everyone should just grind the MU and training mode and try to find out what works with their character. Developing counterplay is just a lot of work and needs a lot of patient. Crying doesn't make you a better player.
This is all true, 99% of the people complaining about bayo haven't actually labbed how to DI out of her stuff and punish stuff like divekick or grounded side-b on shield.

However, unfortunately history has proven that complaining works, Luigi being the main example of that >.>

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
Sheik didnt lose to any characters and probably didnt go even with anyone either. If you dont get how damn good the nerf was for the meta based on that then you are disqualified.

Sheik wouldve most likely just gotten better and better as time went on too. It wouldve sucked big time.

Browny

Smash Hater
ESAMs matchup charts need a conversion factor when applied to countries using arabic numerals.

Basically, -1 to every number that he writes in ESAM-code

and punish stuff like divekick or grounded side-b on shield.
Firstly, I get so freaking mad when I see people shield heel slide and roll away or do something else stupid and miss a free punish. People with reaction/decision making times that bad that they fail to punish it need to quit playing fighting games competitively before complaining about Bayonetta.

Secondly, I haven't tested it, but isnt divekick on shield - divekick away in the opposite direction literally unpunishable to all but the fastest characters/projectiles in the game?

Last edited:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
I think Cloud is more problematic, because even my mother could play Cloud and do decently in tournament.
You're kind of right, actually. I still personally feel like Bayonetta is the more damaging character at high level play. However, Cloud destroys For Glory, Smash Ladder, smaller tourneys, and even sometimes the more notable ones. This is because ANYONE can pick him up and do decently well with him. He is by far the easiest character to play in the entire game since all you need to know to play him is how to press a direction + a button.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that he is the easiest character to have ever appeared in a Smash game. To play him, all you need are the basics. No techskill, no spacing (since he has ridiculous range), barely even any basic techniques like pivot grabbing, etc. In the long run, he may be the one that ruins the meta more; not because he's OP, but because he's so ridiculously easy to play and gets huge reward. That's another problem as well...

Think about this: Both Cloud and Sheik (post 1.1.5) are considered top 10 characters. For Sheik to get similar reward to Cloud and reach that "top 10" potential, the player needs to have way more knowledge of the game. So, to a lot of players who play hard characters like that, it feels dumb.

I think that's why there are a lot of low-tier and mid-tier characters who have lost their rep to Cloud, as opposed to Corrin or Bayonetta, etc. People who play those characters look at Cloud and say: "holy ****! I've just spent [insert large amount of time] playing this low-tier character, learning the plethora of ATs that they have just so I can get decent reward. What a waste now that there is Cloud who can get twice as much reward for a tenth of the work...".

That's why he hurts the metagame nearly as much as Bayo. He greatly limits diversity.

Lag Chan

Fastfall Nair Everyday
NNID
BlankaHondaShrek
In terms of Bayo, I really wish I could've gotten sometime to see how Gunner vs Bayo works at Hypespotting but I didn't get the chance. Seems like an interesting match up, in terms of Gunner's walling capabilities with their projecticles (Including their almighty fair which could shut down side b happy Bayos) as well as having some amazing edgeguarding tools, which might be able to mess up Bayo's own amazing recovery.

On the flipside, Gunner only has one move that comes out before Frame 5, which means anything Gunner tries up close could end up with them eating a Witch Twist and subsequently eating a huge combo. Since Gunner doesn't have anything overly powerful at a range (Charge Blast is such a wimpy move) then when it comes to netting a KO, Gunner is going to have to make a risk. That or try to challenge Bayo's recovery with their edgeguarding, which isn't impossible but isn't going to be easy.

On paper it seems like something that could be manageable, but from what I can tell Gunner would be able to avoid a lot of Bayo's "jank" and be able to play through the matchup fairly well as long as they're careful about fighting her up close.

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
Bayonetta can't be an obstacle to the metagame, she doesn't dominate mid/low tiers any more than other top tiers do.

Your statement doesn't make sense, the playstyle of one character doesn't hinder the development of others. You know who's the real elephant in the room, and the most important MU for every character right now? It's Cloud.
Cloud's main issue isn't his design (though it is indeed questionable), but that he is easy to play. Bayonetta is a bit harder, but the issue is more to do with her core design. Bayonetta excels at racking heavy damage off combos while most of the cast has difficulty chaining more than two hits together.

And are you implying that nerfing Bayonetta wouldn't be good for the meta game? Because that was the main point of my second-to-last post. "Adapt and stop complaining"--again, I can do both. People can and will adapt, but there is nothing wrong with pointing out a character does indeed have issues.

The nerfs to other top-tiers have been definitely healthy for our meta, so I don't see why you're implying (forgive me if I got you wrong) we shouldn't ask for a Bayonetta nerf. Even Pink Fresh who mains her has said she should be, and even gave a few specific suggestions on how to.

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
This is all true, 99% of the people complaining about bayo haven't actually labbed how to DI out of her stuff and punish stuff like divekick or grounded side-b on shield.

However, unfortunately history has proven that complaining works, Luigi being the main example of that >.>
Is there tournament footage of someone successfully DIing Bayonetta's combos?

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
This is a post I wrote on the banning Bayo thread (trust me, it talks mostly about her design and very little about banning her):

"Bayonetta's poor design is just another testament to Sakurai's flawed understanding of competitive play. Players who are competitively avid of fighting games don't want long, flow-chart combos; they're looking for interactions. Because that's the idea in the first place: a good fighting game is one full of interactions. Bayonetta shuts down the whole cast in her advantage with highly damaging combos that are very difficult to escape; the minimal interaction with the opponent goes against the design philosophy of a good fighting game.

As a player, I should NEVER be in a situation where I might as well just put down the controller for the same outcome. If a player doesn't SDI the first hit of Witch Twist, that's at least 30% damage, and at most death. If the player gets caught in Witch Time, all they can do is watch as they take massive damage and potentially die. Bayonetta doesn't 0-death with any consistency, and the misconception that she does needs to be put to rest. The issue is that so much of her damage is guaranteed, while the rest of the cast has to go for reads to extend their strings for a similar damage output.

Let's take a look at Melee, a hallmark in the design of fighting games, and video games in general. It's common knowledge that Melee's engine allows for a much more varied and extensive combo game than in Smash 4. What makes Melee's combo-friendly system so intriguing is that the attacker is always forced to interact with their opponent due to DI. Good DI saves you, bad DI kills you. DI can mitigate damage from combos, but it can also create combos that should have never worked if the attacker reads such DI. In Melee, Captain Falcon on Final Destination has certain 0-death combos on Marth that only work given a specific DI from the Marth player. I, and many other players, love the DI mechanic, because it prevents us from just sitting and watching ourselves get helplessly carried across the screen, and it makes combos interactive rather than brain-dead.

This is where Bayonetta's design fails. She's designed around combos, not interactions. People like to say "learn to DI/SDI," but that doesn't have much of an effect overall, and still doesn't solve the core issue with her design. Let me elaborate:

1) DI in Smash 4 simply isn't as strong as it was in Melee (and works a bit differently)
2) Bayonetta's combos are predominantly vertical, which effectively limits the opponent's DI'ing capacity; remember MK and ZSS ladders?

That brings up another point: :4metaknight::4zss:. Call me biased towards my main, but I find it relevant considering we're talking about ladder combos. "No one was really complaining about MK and ZSS, not as much as with Bayonetta. They should learn to DI," is what I see some people saying in Bayonetta's defense. The truth is, MK's and ZSS's ladders weren't as problematic as Bayonetta's. (They still exist, but are much weaker, for those who are still unsure). But why?

:4zss:'s ladder never killed without rage and/or bad DI, and started with a highly punishable grab.

:4metaknight:'s ladder worked at a narrow 5-10% range (or 2% range if you're getting super technical), started with a shield-grabable dash attack, required well-timed fast-falling, and didn't kill if the opponent ended up above Meta Knight due to Shuttle Loop's blindspot. It was also flat-out unreliable and suicidal against ledge-camping opponents.

:4bayonetta:'s ladders start working at 0%, and can be opened with a variety of moves from a frame 4 Witch Twist, an amazing counter, up tilt, down tilt, and After-Burner Kick. Either she KO's you or you take as much as 50% and even more. Given the right circumstances, she can even carry characters off the side. Unlike MK and ZSS, her combo specials do not cause helplessness, meaning such combos are low-risk, insane reward, and most characters won't be able to get down to the ground fast enough to adequately punish her landing lag.

Pre-patch, outside of the 30-40% range, you would fight MK in essentially the same way as you'd fight any other character. Outside of his ladder, MK dealt on average 15-20% in guaranteed damage off combos, and the same applied to ZSS--this meant that outside of their death set-ups, their damage output was on par with the rest of the cast. Such does not apply to Bayonetta. She has potential KO's at any percent, and if she does not KO, then she's landing on average 30-40% in guaranteed damage regardless of your current percentage, which is beyond the overall damage output of everyone else.

Bayonetta is a problem. Whether or not she really is ban-worthy cannot be truly decided as of yet. Personally, I prefer pre-patch Sheik to Bayonetta. Yes, I prefer fighting against a character who hard-countered my main rather than a character with whom my main arguably goes even. And there's a very good reason: players found a way to circumvent Sheik's intended KOing issue; Bayonetta is centered around such overly rewarding set-ups, and is a problem at the core of her design.

Sakurai has proven already that he has a misguided understanding of competitive play, and Bayonetta provides more proof. 1.1.6 (if it does happen) will nerf Bayonetta, but I highly doubt it will solve the heart of the problem. Tell me, how did the nerfs in 1.1.5 affect Bayonetta? In no major way. Witch Twist is one of the best moves in the game, Witch Time is by far the best counter, Heel Slide was already unsafe pre-patch, and her up and forward smashes are still powerful--quite a lot was changed, but it all had little effect because her core gameplay is still the same. Fixing Bayonetta requires Sakurai to completely overhaul her design, and that is highly unlikely."

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Bayo is very easy, let's not try to defend her on that. She barely requires lab work. Cloud being even easier doesn't make Bayo harder. I don't think ease of use is actually a problem at high level though, the overall effectiveness of the character is still what counts.

I agree that Cloud is nearly as bad as Bayo, and will be the one people jump ship to if Bayo gets nerfed and Cloud is untouched. I too would argue that Cloud is the one you need to worry about since Bayo nerfs are all but guaranteed at this point (I am 100% sure they are coming if there is another patch, it's just whether there's another patch).

I don't think either character is a game-killer (the community is fulfilling that itself), or even particularly unbalanced - Cloud is less balanced than Bayo by design, I'd argue. But still, with Cloud and Bayo both nerfed, we would have an insanely well-balanced top tier.

Last edited:

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Is there tournament footage of someone successfully DIing Bayonetta's combos?
Every game Mr.R is in?

Like nobody is perfect but you have to be intentionally ignoring any notable set with a bayo to ask this >.>

Also holy ****, bunbun, all of bayo's combos have heavy interactivity and only someone who has no understanding of the character would complain that they don't.
Even her simplest kill confirm (up-b > side-b > up-b > uair) is at best a 50/50 for bayo (dependent on the opponent's DI) and likely worse than that.

Last edited:

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
Every game Mr.R is in?

Like nobody is perfect but you have to be intentionally ignoring any notable set with a bayo to ask this >.>

Also holy ****, bunbun, all of bayo's combos have heavy interactivity and only someone who has no understanding of the character would complain that they don't.
Even her simplest kill confirm (up-b > side-b > up-b > uair) is at best a 50/50 for bayo (dependent on the opponent's DI) and likely worse than that.
She still racks up way more damage on average than the rest of the cast, ya know?:)

And DI is important for surviving her ladders; she still has an absurd damage output. And that was my main point behind the whole thing: her damage, not her KOing. I even said Bayonetta always 0-deathing you was a misconception that needed to die.

And Bayonetta isn't dominating the US because she's soft banned; it's a very different story in Europe and Japan. But people only care about the US scene because Murica is always da bess.

Last edited:

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Her damage combos still require her to anticipate and follow your DI, often with very specific spacing.

She only gets easymode 50% confirms because people don't bother to DI stuff.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I don't think either character is a game-killer (the community is fulfilling that itself), or even particularly unbalanced - Cloud is less balanced than Bayo by design, I'd argue. But still, with Cloud and Bayo both nerfed, we would have an insanely well-balanced top tier.
Nah I think people would gun for the next best and so on until they actually deconfirm patches. It's a trend that I don't ever see stopping tbh. I hope they genuinely deconfirm them at some point so I can stop giving myself headaches and so I don't have to worry about labbing and practicing my main character only to have that effort butchered. PS I totally agree, I don't think either Cloud or Bayo as is will kill the game or even come close to doing that tbh. At least if things progress as they are it won't happen.

Can't wait till Mario dies in the year 2020 or something rofl. I mean for how good he is he requires literally no practice, if you fundamentally know this game you can just play him (I don't think this is a bad thing at all btw, fundamentally rewarding chars that are good i.e. ST Ryu are awesome). Unless you feel like labbing out his goofy specific kill setups which aren't really necessary.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43

Miis and Palutena are in two completely different boats. With Palutena the dev team is at least trying to balance her for viability in a 1-1-1-1 ruleset, while the same can't be said for Miis. Were this being done most ruleset complaints would vanish. At any rate Pally has a top tier Fair and some good tools to keep her from being bottom, and isn't that bad even if she's not quite a good character either.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
This is a post I wrote on the banning Bayo thread (trust me, it talks mostly about her design and very little about banning her):

"Bayonetta's poor design is just another testament to Sakurai's flawed understanding of competitive play. Players who are competitively avid of fighting games don't want long, flow-chart combos; they're looking for interactions. Because that's the idea in the first place: a good fighting game is one full of interactions. Bayonetta shuts down the whole cast in her advantage with highly damaging combos that are very difficult to escape; the minimal interaction with the opponent goes against the design philosophy of a good fighting game.

As a player, I should NEVER be in a situation where I might as well just put down the controller for the same outcome. If a player doesn't SDI the first hit of Witch Twist, that's at least 30% damage, and at most death. If the player gets caught in Witch Time, all they can do is watch as they take massive damage and potentially die. Bayonetta doesn't 0-death with any consistency, and the misconception that she does needs to be put to rest. The issue is that so much of her damage is guaranteed, while the rest of the cast has to go for reads to extend their strings for a similar damage output.

Let's take a look at Melee, a hallmark in the design of fighting games, and video games in general. It's common knowledge that Melee's engine allows for a much more varied and extensive combo game than in Smash 4. What makes Melee's combo-friendly system so intriguing is that the attacker is always forced to interact with their opponent due to DI. Good DI saves you, bad DI kills you. DI can mitigate damage from combos, but it can also create combos that should have never worked if the attacker reads such DI. In Melee, Captain Falcon on Final Destination has certain 0-death combos on Marth that only work given a specific DI from the Marth player. I, and many other players, love the DI mechanic, because it prevents us from just sitting and watching ourselves get helplessly carried across the screen, and it makes combos interactive rather than brain-dead.

This is where Bayonetta's design fails. She's designed around combos, not interactions. People like to say "learn to DI/SDI," but that doesn't have much of an effect overall, and still doesn't solve the core issue with her design. Let me elaborate:

1) DI in Smash 4 simply isn't as strong as it was in Melee (and works a bit differently)
2) Bayonetta's combos are predominantly vertical, which effectively limits the opponent's DI'ing capacity; remember MK and ZSS ladders?

That brings up another point: :4metaknight::4zss:. Call me biased towards my main, but I find it relevant considering we're talking about ladder combos. "No one was really complaining about MK and ZSS, not as much as with Bayonetta. They should learn to DI," is what I see some people saying in Bayonetta's defense. The truth is, MK's and ZSS's ladders weren't as problematic as Bayonetta's. (They still exist, but are much weaker, for those who are still unsure). But why?

:4zss:'s ladder never killed without rage and/or bad DI, and started with a highly punishable grab.

:4metaknight:'s ladder worked at a narrow 5-10% range (or 2% range if you're getting super technical), started with a shield-grabable dash attack, required well-timed fast-falling, and didn't kill if the opponent ended up above Meta Knight due to Shuttle Loop's blindspot. It was also flat-out unreliable and suicidal against ledge-camping opponents.

:4bayonetta:'s ladders start working at 0%, and can be opened with a variety of moves from a frame 4 Witch Twist, an amazing counter, up tilt, down tilt, and After-Burner Kick. Either she KO's you or you take as much as 50% and even more. Given the right circumstances, she can even carry characters off the side. Unlike MK and ZSS, her combo specials do not cause helplessness, meaning such combos are low-risk, insane reward, and most characters won't be able to get down to the ground fast enough to adequately punish her landing lag.

Pre-patch, outside of the 30-40% range, you would fight MK in essentially the same way as you'd fight any other character. Outside of his ladder, MK dealt on average 15-20% in guaranteed damage off combos, and the same applied to ZSS--this meant that outside of their death set-ups, their damage output was on par with the rest of the cast. Such does not apply to Bayonetta. She has potential KO's at any percent, and if she does not KO, then she's landing on average 30-40% in guaranteed damage regardless of your current percentage, which is beyond the overall damage output of everyone else.

Bayonetta is a problem. Whether or not she really is ban-worthy cannot be truly decided as of yet. Personally, I prefer pre-patch Sheik to Bayonetta. Yes, I prefer fighting against a character who hard-countered my main rather than a character with whom my main arguably goes even. And there's a very good reason: players found a way to circumvent Sheik's intended KOing issue; Bayonetta is centered around such overly rewarding set-ups, and is a problem at the core of her design.

Sakurai has proven already that he has a misguided understanding of competitive play, and Bayonetta provides more proof. 1.1.6 (if it does happen) will nerf Bayonetta, but I highly doubt it will solve the heart of the problem. Tell me, how did the nerfs in 1.1.5 affect Bayonetta? In no major way. Witch Twist is one of the best moves in the game, Witch Time is by far the best counter, Heel Slide was already unsafe pre-patch, and her up and forward smashes are still powerful--quite a lot was changed, but it all had little effect because her core gameplay is still the same. Fixing Bayonetta requires Sakurai to completely overhaul her design, and that is highly unlikely."
Don't say fighters because this is how most fighters work. You get hit? You feel a lot of pain. Most fighters are unforgiving.

The issue with Bayo is her monstrous reward off several strong neutral tools. Reward other characters can't come close too.

Yikarur

Smash Master
You're kind of right, actually. I still personally feel like Bayonetta is the more damaging character at high level play. However, Cloud destroys For Glory, Smash Ladder, smaller tourneys, and even sometimes the more notable ones. This is because ANYONE can pick him up and do decently well with him. He is by far the easiest character to play in the entire game since all you need to know to play him is how to press a direction + a button.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that he is the easiest character to have ever appeared in a Smash game. To play him, all you need are the basics. No techskill, no spacing (since he has ridiculous range), barely even any basic techniques like pivot grabbing, etc. In the long run, he may be the one that ruins the meta more; not because he's OP, but because he's so ridiculously easy to play and gets huge reward. That's another problem as well...

Think about this: Both Cloud and Sheik (post 1.1.5) are considered top 10 characters. For Sheik to get similar reward to Cloud and reach that "top 10" potential, the player needs to have way more knowledge of the game. So, to a lot of players who play hard characters like that, it feels dumb.

I think that's why there are a lot of low-tier and mid-tier characters who have lost their rep to Cloud, as opposed to Corrin or Bayonetta, etc. People who play those characters look at Cloud and say: "holy ****! I've just spent [insert large amount of time] playing this low-tier character, learning the plethora of ATs that they have just so I can get decent reward. What a waste now that there is Cloud who can get twice as much reward for a tenth of the work...".

That's why he hurts the metagame nearly as much as Bayo. He greatly limits diversity.
Good post. But one objection. I think no character in any fighting game is as easy as Pre-Patch Diddy Kong. But I guess Cloud is pretty close.

Clouds dominance in mid level play is absurd. You pick the character and you are immediately a far better player.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Good post. But one objection. I think no character in any fighting game is as easy as Pre-Patch Diddy Kong. But I guess Cloud is pretty close.

Clouds dominance in mid level play is absurd. You pick the character and you are immediately a far better player.
This was Mario before Cloud existed BTW. Neither Cloud nor Mario are even close to Pre-Patch Diddy (his Uair took his kill power and essentially made it that of most heavies and he got it off of low cooldown grabs AND ****ing Banana?) Even Cloud with his old busted 13% Uair couldn't even hold a candle to the monster that was Diddy. We should be thankful nobody labbed the character intensely because the somewhat ok character variety that WAS present pre-patch wouldn't have even existed. At all.

Comparing ANYBODY in this game to pre-patch Diddy is laughable. Nobody was or is even close. People played 1/4th of that character and did better than Cloud and Mario combined. That's absolutely TERRIFYING. Everything we know now about Diddy for the most part would've worked pre-patch. Hell, his U-Throw as it is now is vastly better than any of his throws were pre-patch (there's no DI to escape Diddy U-Throw stuff as of this version, it's awesome and it's guaranteed, yosh!)

Not a single character ever since has even come in the range of comparable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom