• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Off the top of my head,
Rosalina vs DK
Rosalina vs Luigi
Rosalina vs Bowser
Sheik vs Megaman
ZSS vs R.O.B.

Having a hard time thinking of worse matchups from mid tier up, though I'm sure Fox wrecks some slow characters pretty hard.
It's stuff like this that makes me believe Rosalina is a bigger gate keeper for viability in this game than Sheik. Of the characters I consistently play as when it comes to Rosalina:

:4dedede:- Sucks... Only saving graces are his range, how easy it is to knock Luma away, and the off chance you get an early kill. You're hilariously boned if she gets you in the air though.
:4fox:- Doable.
:4iggy:- FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!! Might actually be worse than Mario or ZSS. A grand example of a match up where Luma ruins everything.
:4myfriends:- Frustrating. A lot like the Dedede match up but more manageable.
:4mario:-Doable.
:4megaman:- Luma and gravity pull. *fart* Practically forces you to become a projectile tactician because almost everything can be absorbed or used against you.
:4ness:- *insert gun in mouth while crying the words to Pollyanna to yourself*
:4villager:-Unbelievably frustrating. One of the few characters that forces Villager to be aggressive.
:4wiifit:- Doable. Luma is surprising easy to knock away and can be used to heal stall.
:4wario:- Sucks. His lack of range really hurts him in this matchup. Might get an early kill (and a cheap laugh) from a waft thanks to Luma extending its hitbox.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
?

Rosalina is Wario's best top tier matchup by far. Neither can approach each other, but Wario can stall for waft and play footsies better than she could.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
My biggest problem with training mode is it flat out lies. They radically adjusted actual combo windows from a variety of knockback sources in actual game. You can airdodge much earlier than what it indicates as a "true" combo. Likewise you cannot actually escape lower- percent combos that do not register on the counter. And I've spent hundreds of hours in that mode for the record.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
?

Rosalina is Wario's best top tier matchup by far. Neither can approach each other, but Wario can stall for waft and play footsies better than she could.
Like I said, it's my own experience with the match up. Probably playing it wrong but, aside from Fox, Wario is the character I consistently practice with the least of those 10 I listed.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
It's stuff like this that makes me believe Rosalina is a bigger gate keeper for viability in this game than Sheik. Of the characters I consistently play as when it comes to Rosalina:

:4dedede:- Sucks... Only saving graces are his range, how easy it is to knock Luma away, and the off chance you get an early kill. You're hilariously boned if she gets you in the air though.
:4fox:- Doable.
:4iggy:- FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!! Might actually be worse than Mario or ZSS. A grand example of a match up where Luma ruins everything.
:4myfriends:- Frustrating. A lot like the Dedede match up but more manageable.
:4mario:-Doable.
:4megaman:- Luma and gravity pull. *fart* Practically forces you to become a projectile tactician because almost everything can be absorbed or used against you.
:4ness:- *insert gun in mouth while crying the words to Pollyanna to yourself*
:4villager:-Unbelievably frustrating. One of the few characters that forces Villager to be aggressive.
:4wiifit:- Doable. Luma is surprising easy to knock away and can be used to heal stall.
:4wario:- Sucks. His lack of range really hurts him in this matchup. Might get an early kill (and a cheap laugh) from a waft thanks to Luma extending its hitbox.
So what is it about Rosa that's so overwhelming?

Is it Luma? Is it the size and disjointed nature of her hitboxes? Is it something in between?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Like I said, it's my own experience with the match up. Probably playing it wrong but, aside from Fox, Wario is the character I consistently practice with the least of those 10 I listed.
Yeah I get that. Wario generally wins it, but the matchup is really lame and you have to be content with potentially not doing anything until you get a full waft charged. No one really wants to play that way.

An aggro Wario obviously loses hard.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I've had a lot of people telling me that the Greninja vs Ganon is awful for the latter especially post shuriken buff but I don't think I ever played against another Ganon since then to say anything about it lol

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Is it Luma? Is it the size and disjointed nature of her hitboxes? Is it something in between?
Think of it like this... Imagine the Ice Climbers but Nana stands in front of Popo, meaning that, from a basic standpoint, she's a living shield. She can't grab but Popo can desync with her on a whim and have her attack on the other side of the stage but call her back with a single button push, even if he's up in the air. Nana can attack Popo's opponent if he gets grabbed or even if he's in hitstun or has a broken shield. Now imagine that Nana has more knockback to her attacks than Popo does. Imagine that Popo's recovery isn't hurt by Nana not being around. Finally, imagine Nana inexplicably exploding when she takes a certain amount of damage, only to come back a short time later with full health again. This, my friend, is why Rosalina has already received 15 NERFS and yet is still one of the best characters in the game.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Think of it like this... Imagine the Ice Climbers but Nana stands in front of Popo, meaning that, from a basic standpoint, she's a living shield. She can't grab but Popo can desync with her on a whim and have her attack on the other side of the stage but call her back with a single button push, even if he's up in the air. Nana can attack Popo's opponent if he gets grabbed or even if he's in hitstun or has a broken shield. Now imagine that Nana has more knockback to her attacks than Popo does. Imagine that Popo's recovery isn't hurt by Nana not being around. Finally, imagine Nana inexplicably exploding when she takes a certain amount of damage, only to come back a short time later with full health again. This, my friend, is why Rosalina has already received 15 NERFS and yet is still one of the best characters in the game.
So what would fix it?

I get the feeling that they just don't know how to nerf Rosa in comp play without crippling her in casual play.

Last edited:

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild

She's probably the best character at abusing poor landing options, which is a weakness all the heavies share. She doesn't have to respect the normally high risk/high reward landing options of any of the heavies have because of how long uair lingers and how disjointed it is. Resetting to the ledge doesn't usually help against her either, because she's amazing at covering ledge options. Characters with problems resetting to neutral just have to pray the Rosalina player messes up.

She's also really good at neutralizing a character's grab game, because of Luma. Luma jab can often interrupt grabs, and lunar landed aerials make landing traps with grab much more difficult. Even when someone gets the grab, they may be unable to follow up because of a possible Luma combo break. Two of the heavies (you know which ones) are highly grab centric without easy Luma kill options like MK's ftilt, so I'd imagine they're affected more significantly than other characters.

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
A lot of people gave Sakurai crap about this, but I'm glad those little ice climbing ******** aren't in Smash 4. I got wobbled once, and that was absolutely enough for me.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
A lot of people gave Sakurai crap about this, but I'm glad those little ice climbing ******** aren't in Smash 4. I got wobbled once, and that was absolutely enough for me.
Hey, we know they couldn't chain grab, at least.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So what would fix it?

I get the feeling that they just don't know how to nerf Rosa in comp play without crippling her in casual play.
Hard to say. Rosalina is significantly worse without Luma but I wouldn't be exactly opposed to Luma staying dead until she loses a stock or there being a cap on Lumas she can spawn during a match. The problem is that this would pretty much gut the character in casual play which I wouldn't mind because she's my least favorite character in the cast anyways so it would be hard to find a good medium.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
To be fair, wobbling wasn't the reason Ice Climbers were removed. Rather, it was because Sakurai didn't think the 3DS processor would handle dual characters well. It's the same reason ZSS/Samus and Zelda/Sheik were permanently split from one another.

The fact that wobbling is a thing of the past is just a nice bonus.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
DK has some absolutely horrible matchups vs top tiers; Sheik, ZSS, Rosa, Fox and MK all destroy him.

In terms of worst five matchups in the game, Puff is probably on the receiving end of some devastatingly hard matchups. I'd imagine Fox in particular is almost hopeless, but I don't know for sure.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
So what would fix it?

A complete rework. Think I said this before, but make it so Luma can't ever fall off the stage and instead only dies after running out of HP. Then nerf Rosalina and Luma accordingly. Damage, hitboxes, frame data, respawn time, dodges, whatever.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Sakurai would've changed ICs pretty vastly I believe. Even if they were given minor things changed, patches would've gotten them then.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I dunno. Even with their shenanigans, I adored the Ice Climbers and I felt like their concept was pretty balanced. They fought as a pair and if one was gone, the character went full blown spaghetti. Popo's recovery, damage output, and knockback tanked if Nana died. In Brawl, the character practically went from high tier to bottom tier when this happened. With Rosalina, she goes from top to maybe low but that's only until Luma comes back. That said, the Ice Climbers were put at a true disadvantage when one was lost while Rosalina is only temporarily inconvenienced if Luma dies.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I've had a lot of people telling me that the Greninja vs Ganon is awful for the latter especially post shuriken buff but I don't think I ever played against another Ganon since then to say anything about it lol
It's pretty clearly a winning matchup for Greninja. He can keep out as much as he wants, but even then, if he picks his spots carefully, he can still go in and ambush Ganon for big damage. Obviously don't do anything stupid and you're golden.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's pretty clearly a winning matchup for Greninja. He can keep out as much as he wants, but even then, if he picks his spots carefully, he can still go in and ambush Ganon for big damage. Obviously don't do anything stupid and you're golden.
Pretty much this. Camp with shurikens, grab or follow up if he shields or is in hitstun, retreat if he threatens your space, rinse and repeat. Just replace shurikens with lemons/metal blades and you pretty much have the same strategy for Megaman in this match up too.

Megamang

Smash Lord
And the icies were that much more useless in anything besides 1v1

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Like I said before, Rosalina has received 15 nerfs since the game came out so that kind of gives you an idea of how broken her current concept as a character is in Smash. To put this even more in perspective, Diddy received half a dozen nerfs in one patch and fell off the top and Luigi received three nerfs in one patch and fell so much that some people question if he's standalone viable anymore.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Also Ganon actually has more trouble with short characters now since landing with Nair 1 is horrible, whereas in 1.1.0 and before it could actually be used as a quick aerial option for dealing with them. NAir might link more reliably and be better in some respects, but the change actually really hurts in some MUs.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I'm really happy that Mewtwo's buffs helped yank him out of the gutter. I'm still sort of hoping that we'll see a little more Lucina representation. I don't know... I still think her consistency makes up for her lack of a sweet spot and slightly lesser on-shield game.

But again, it comes down to if people use her and get those placements. Time will tell!

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The rest of MK's kit, too?

I mean, it's not like he's a godawful character without the ladder, guys.

Smooth Criminal
I think the point being made is that you have people that play MK for the stairway to heaven and really can't do much of anything with MK if you take that away. Sort of like the big Diddy drop after Hoo Hah was severely nerfed.

Nah

Smash Champion
Like I said before, Rosalina has received 15 nerfs since the game came out so that kind of gives you an idea of how broken her current concept as a character is in Smash. To put this even more in perspective, Diddy received half a dozen nerfs in one patch and fell off the top and Luigi received three nerfs in one patch and fell so much that some people question if he's standalone viable anymore.
It could also just be that they haven't nerfed her "right". Luigi fell because the nerfs mainly targeted what was problematic about him, the relatively easy Dthrow kill confirms. It's like Sheik and nerfs: she's been "nerfed" multiple times but the only meaningful one was the Bair nerf.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Hey, we know they couldn't chain grab, at least.
Considering the timings for the basic chaingrabs is 1 second between the throws, they could still chaingrab in Smash 4. Back Throw>Down Throw>repeat. Now, with :rosalina:. She is a broken mess as well. Like, every character that requires delicacy and to pay attention will NEVER work for free-for-alls. :rosalina: also goes unpunished if Luma dies. She will come back. Just do the Dabuz tactic. Done. Say whatever you want about :popo:, but their wobbles in Brawl were really hard to do, and if Nana dies, you can't do them, and you are stuck with a bigger joke than :bowsermelee:. You HAVE to learn to babysit Nana, specially against :metaknight::peach: who didn't gave a crap about Nana. (especially:peach:). :rosalina: does none of that, she doesn't HAVE to like her life depends on it, she can use it as a shield or cannon fodder for all she cares. Of course, it's not an optimal strategy, but she can consider it, she can consider having Luma die and don't care about it. Against some characters, she losing Luma does not matter. Sorry :4ness:, you still get outranged, you still get juggled, and you still get gimped cheaper than Cloud, and she can still recover for free if you don't time that yo-yo good at the edge. Luma is just the cherry on the crap sundae. Say what you want about :4sheik::4metaknight::4darkpit::4zss: killing Luma "easily" and having "+1, +2", they are not like :peach: were it's totally free, Luma is still small, Nana is a huge dumb target.

I'm really happy that Mewtwo's buffs helped yank him out of the gutter. I'm still sort of hoping that we'll see a little more Lucina representation. I don't know... I still think her consistency makes up for her lack of a sweet spot and slightly lesser on-shield game.

But again, it comes down to if people use her and get those placements. Time will tell!
:4lucina: needs a repurpose in life, period. Being "lazy" :4marth: is not good. If she were lazy :marth:, or her aerials were reworked to do 0-to-deaths, then people would bother playing her.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
BTW, just downloaded a very small file as of 6:30 PM EST, but still 1.1.3 as of now.

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
ok some of you have some very mistaken ideas about mk. mk only has guaranteed death from upairs when he gets sour spot dash attack or uptilt at very specific percents, there is never any point except maybe vs dk or something when you get dthrown or sweetspot dash attacked and you are diing correctly where he has guranteed death. if you just camp by the ledge at those percents the most he can do is grab and throw you off for 10% with upthrow, which is basically nothing for sheik and zero suit who recover completely free and there is nothing he can do. literally the only way he can kill you if you camp the ledge is roll uptilt and a carefully spaced dash attack. its still going to happen obviously, but you cant just say "mk mains will get better at the combo" when there is nothing to improve. I cant do any better than killing you, the only room for improvement here is on the part of the opponent learning to get out of untrue hitconfirms and camping at the right time. for example i dont know how, but all of abadangos opponents dont tech bair, and they let him get away with shorthop autocancel upair to fullhop upair (this is never true, you can always mash airdodge to get out of autocancel shorthop upair to fullhop upair). as time progresses its obvious which of the two will improve, and it isnt mk.

as for his top tier matchups all of them are fine except sheik and zero suit. their neutral is better and their punish %wise are a bit worse or on par than mks, and that would be fine except for 2 problems, one of which being the range of their kill confirms off of grab is ridiculously huge. sheik 50/50s mk during an insanely huge range of something like 110-160%, and if shes in rage you can be in danger as low as 95~. unlike most characters mk simply trading with sheik up to high percents is actually really bad, mk is left with no confirms and needs to land upsmash, bair or yolo upb, while sheik threatens a kill off of any grab. if sheik plays her neutral at high percents just by staying grounded, then grab and dash attack lead to nothing and he cant really make anything happen. meanwhile zero suits early kills off grab are perhaps the easiest vs mk out of all top tier. mk will almost never fall out of upb and as with sheik, he dies during an incredibly huge range of like 30-70%. unlike most characters that can di a certain way to avoid death whether it be counting on falling out, or diing toward stage to avoid the side blastones, mk when he gets grabbed at ANY point in the entire stage is dead no matter what he does at certain points. and unlike when playing against mk, you cant camp the sides when in danger, because unlike mk, their grabs that dont require any space to run forward. The 2nd problem is that when you play vs sheik and zero suit camping the ledge the risk/reward is ridiculously in their favor. against any other character, it wouldnt even be a problem because when you knock them off, you get bonus damage from edge guarding and that brings them closer to regular kills percents. vs sheik and zero suit, you get one hit from grab or dash attack hitting them off, and then thats it. there is absolutely no way you can edge guard zero suit or sheik unless they get lazy. some characters can edge guard sheik and zero suit but mk is not one of them. when mk goes low to challenge, mk cant vertically keep up with their movement because of his low jumps, so anything he does can be reacted to with ease. they get back on stage, ledgehop and return to neutral on the other side of the stage. when sheik or zero suit land a hit its far worse because no matter where they get their hit, they dont need extra stage to get good damage, and mk getting put on the ledge is waaay worse than sheik or zss on the ledge because they their ledgehops are stupidly hard to react to because of bouncing fish and flip kick.

thats not even counting the fact that sheik and zero suits aerials (not as bad as sheiks) into the ground shut people out pretty bad and mk has no safe aerials into the ground and no autocancels to compete. all he can do is powershield, and when getting grabbed by them is that bad, its obvious who the risk/reward favors and who has to work harder here.

when i watch abadango he gets away with a loooot of things he shouldnt because people arent teching/playing the percents right. i remember a match he had vs a zero suit who was pretty shamelessly just camping the ledge who i thought he lucked out against pretty hard with roll uptilt, and should have lost if the zss hadnt dropped a grab confirm earlier if anyone wants to find that. also when any mk ive seen plays void its pretty bad. i remember abadango also played a set vs void (after he lost in crews with a 3 to 2 stock advantage) where he literally got every kill at 30-40% which meant everything was going as well as it possibly could, and still lost in the end. mr r also plays the same way now, i didnt see mr r vs tyrant but apparently he also just ran away, camped the ledge and won pretty convincingly. i know tyrant told me at genesis he wants to try sheik vs void now because he does better in the mirror than with mk, but since he got a recent win at a tournament he might stick with mk a bit more now that hes got some more confidence im curious to see how he does.

i think a lot of success with mk is really people playing that matchup really badly tbh i havent been convinced at all by anyones play yet. if tyrant plays mk optimally he might convince me though, its amazing how well he does when he drops combos so often and chooses unoptimal continuations. i think if he does optimal stuff he could compete at top level even down the road.

that said i think there is some untapped potential i dont see anyone else do, and that is with low % upair strings. i just shake my head in disappointment when i see people land dash attack at like 15% or dthrow at 30%, run forward whiff fullhop upair, miss and get punished. you couldve done sh upair, completed a full chain and done like 40 damage but instead got a cool 6% and got punished on hit well done. thats about it though unless theres a patch sheik and zero suit are just slowly going to get better until theres nothing he can do outside of multiple lucky confirms unfortunately.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
that said i think there is some untapped potential i dont see anyone else do, and that is with low % upair strings. i just shake my head in disappointment when i see people land dash attack at like 15% or dthrow at 30%, run forward whiff fullhop upair, miss and get punished. you couldve done sh upair, completed a full chain and done like 40 damage but instead got a cool 6% and got punished on hit well done. thats about it though unless theres a patch sheik and zero suit are just slowly going to get better until theres nothing he can do outside of multiple lucky confirms unfortunately.
I'm willing to grant that there's probably SOME untapped potential on both sides in terms of what both MK and his victim can do when dealing with the ladder combo, but I just can't help but feel like Nairo, a man who does this for a living and is widely regarded as 2nd best in the world (and he has taken a tournament off of Zero), would know what he needs to know about MK's ladder and how to DI it.

Or are we saying "Nairo, ya done goofed..."?

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
It could also just be that they haven't nerfed her "right". Luigi fell because the nerfs mainly targeted what was problematic about him, the relatively easy Dthrow kill confirms. It's like Sheik and nerfs: she's been "nerfed" multiple times but the only meaningful one was the Bair nerf.
  • Needle Storm has slightly more ending lag.
  • Up aerial hits one less time, resulting in 1% less total damage (8% → 7%).
  • Bouncing Fish knockback decreased.
You don't think any of those were meaningful? (Not too sure on how much the up aerial nerf affected her up aerial. I know Captain Falcon's bair was nerfed by 1% in a previous patch and the change was very noticeable to me.)

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I'm willing to grant that there's probably SOME untapped potential on both sides in terms of what both MK and his victim can do when dealing with the ladder combo, but I just can't help but feel like Nairo, a man who does this for a living and is widely regarded as 2nd best in the world (and he has taken a tournament off of Zero), would know what he needs to know about MK's ladder and how to DI it.

Top players are only human. They can overlook things.

Especially in the heat of the moment, aka playing the game.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

David Viran

Smash Lord

He did goof on some games but not because he didn't know what to do I don't think. Like I remember one game he had the lead and aba at kill percents last stock, got grabbed, dthrowed, didn't DI away for some reason, and lost the match for it. Or when he whiffed that grab with his back to the ledge, again with the lead on last stock, got hit by a super late dash attack, DIed in for some reason, and lost the game for it.

Last edited:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Ike vs Rosa is actually very solid.

In tournament it hasn't been great, but the last time we saw it was I think Ryuga vs Dabuz and Ryuga is used to Ray's Rosa style, which is different from Dabuz, so he got thrown off.

Nah

Smash Champion
  • Needle Storm has slightly more ending lag.
  • Up aerial hits one less time, resulting in 1% less total damage (8% → 7%).
  • Bouncing Fish knockback decreased.
You don't think any of those were meaningful? (Not too sure on how much the up aerial nerf affected her up aerial. I know Captain Falcon's bair was nerfed by 1% in a previous patch and the change was very noticeable to me.)
If those nerfs really were meaningful people wouldn't still be complaining about needles and Bouncing Fish

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
If those nerfs really were meaningful people wouldn't still be complaining about needles and Bouncing Fish
Would you rather have Bouncing Fish kill you at 50% raw, then? 'Cause that's what it did back in those days.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Ike vs Rosa is actually very solid.

In tournament it hasn't been great, but the last time we saw it was I think Ryuga vs Dabuz and Ryuga is used to Ray's Rosa style, which is different from Dabuz, so he got thrown off.
Ya Ike vs Rosa basically comes down to "style vs style" overall. Both characters can just completely screw over each other very easily.

Appledees

Smash Apprentice

This is not really accurate at all. Megaman doesn't care about about gravity pull at all and Rosa is actually getting nothing done doing gravity pull most of the match. Rosa doesn't invalidate Megaman cause of one move(she doesn't anyway to be honest pretty even matchup.) Megaman has 3 projectiles that hit both Luma and Rosa that disrupt their movement along with hurting Luma. She's also pretty damn tall so she actually doesn't like the projectile spam.

the only thing that really sucks in this matchup is getting pressured alot cause Rosalina actually covers landing options really well along with being really hard to get around when up closebut other than that Rosa doesn't really destroy Megaman. After playing the matchup more its pretty even on both sides.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom