• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

4BR Policy and Budget Discussion

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Hello 4BR. We're still in the midst of setting somethings up, but while that's happening, we wanted to open the floor concerning two issues that the room itself can decide.

1) 4BR Forum Policy - One thing we wanted to leave up to the community was the state of this forum. Basically, would you prefer this room to be a private, member only forum or for it to be read only for non members and members can post.

2) 2016 Budget - In 2016, Smashboards will be giving the 4BR a budget (tentatively $1000) to use on whatever the room wishes to use it on. This can range from some sort of tournament deal, or an event itself, or content creation, etc;. What ideas do you guys have for our Budget and how would you like to see us use it.

Feel free to voice your opinion in the thread here.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Originally I was leaning towards read-only for non-members, but lately I think I prefer the idea of it being private.

A private room gives it exclusivity, but more importantly, allows its members to speak their minds fully without being constantly judged for every little remark by... "plebeians".

Budget, I'm a little unsure of, since it's a new concept to me. I'd be inclined to say content creation as a way to brand the Back Room, but we have so many individual content creators so...

:093:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
While I did initially welcome the idea of this room being public, I'm going to have to respectfully say that I'm for it being private for the time being; knowing that someone would speak their full mind and opinion in a backroom rather than voting with the knowledge that others will judge them for their votes, I think the former is the better choice.

Budgets? No idea.

M@v

Subarashii!
1) I'm used to these kind of rooms being private. The problem I see with a public room is a member coming under fire/being criticized for a controversial view (I.E. when we do the tier list vote, say someone makes a really unique tier list. They could potentially get hit with a lot of flak from people outside the 4BR who don't agree with the vote). It could quite potentially influence decision making back here. That being said, if we do decide to go with a public read only room, I can deal with it if I have to. I just think there are too many potential issues with it. Stick with the PR ideas IMO, like a podcast/etc. We can be super open with those. Like we can even let the public know "Hey, we are currently voting on a tier list and in tier list discussion right now". That way they know we are voting/working on a tier list, but member's individual votes will remain confidential.

2) O___O That's awesome we are getting a budget. Let me get back to you on this one. I know I'll be able to think of some good ideas for it. I just never expected we would even get a budget, let alone that much.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
So I've been reeeaaally outspoken in the past that the BR and similar organizations should be publicly viewable, only to have a change of perspective around 6-8 months ago; now I'm pretty firmly in favor of privacy for decision-makers. Transparency is all-to-often a false ideal only serving as a shortcut to brinkmanship, identity politics, and true power retreating to back-back-rooms. Real decision-making is contingent on privileged context, the notion that it is valid to share more than just ideas that are Twitter-safe.

Or, framed another way, the natural result of a fully transparent political process is Donald Trump.

Assuming we keep things private, I'd like to take responsibility for making a public post explaining why this is in the best interest of the community, from the perspective of someone who used to feel otherwise but learned a few key lessons about life and people that made him rethink that.

I'll even do it for free. Man, our budget is looking better and better.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I'd have to say that keeping the room private should be the way to go even though it contradicts what I thought in the past. It has been pretty well described by the others so I won't repeat what they have said. The pod-cast idea that M@v M@v mentioned earlier would definitely be a good way to keep that connection to the userbase. Keeping the room private would also give some users something to look forward to, a drive for a goal they might want to achieve and go on a path of self-improvement regarding Smash.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Been reading this over the past week, more or less this covers a lot of subjects that I feel is valid as a counter point.

At the same time, I do not fully agree with a fully hidden room. I am in a minority on this but I share sentiments Shaya I know had with the Brawl Backroom and these are ones I also share.

Should we keep touchy or heavily opinionated or stuff like budget not known to the public, absolutely. If it is heavy subjects and ones that people do not want to openly share, I understand that. The issue here is transparency or rather no connection to the outside world. The issues here are when people can't understand why certain decisions were made or why this room felt something. Like for example, why did some characters end up where they did on tier lists, why did some players think what they did? Things like that need more context and need to be more open to the public.

If people want a fully closed room, them we need to be open with write-up or summaries with why something ended up where it did. This is what annoyed people with the old Brawl Backroom, the outside world and players had no connect to what was being made. Why did we do something controversial or not of what the public thinks. We need to explain it.

Let me give an example like this from League of Legends, more so why the devs think what they are and what certain actions were taken,

"Some thoughts on the current state of Sona:

1. There are a number of Sona players who find Sona unsatisfying and feel she needs to be buffed, including some players posting on Boards who've felt that way at least since her rework last year.

2. Sona's performance in game, outside of organized professional play, is in a pretty reasonable spot, even in high Elo solo queue. She's also got a bit of the Amumu/Yi effectiveness by Elo curve going on, where she'll be pretty dominant in average games if she's a strong pick in high tier play. That matches up with her play rate, which is quite a bit higher (2-3 times on average, depending on the region) in average Elo ranges versus high Elo. That puts Sona at a pretty average play rate at most tiers of play, though does mean she's underrepresented in high tier play..

3. Sona's got a kit design that makes it really hard for her power to be satisfying. Her power's split between spell casts that affect multiple targets, auras that can affect multiple allies and power chord effects. That means each individual effect has to be pretty weak and therefore hard to feel, let alone feel good about.

4. Sona's got a really high reliability kit. Provided you've got at least a moderate handle on how her kit works you're going to see fairly consistent output from her. Because her lows aren't very low that also contrains our ability to give her high highs.

5. Sona's auras are powerful ally buffing effects with a high uptime. That means if solo lane Sona's ever in a spot where she's a solid, satisfying pick duo lane Sona's almost certainly pretty overpowered (since she's able to access her full effectiveness by contrast). That issue could potentially be addressed by adding a mechanic to Sona that's only useful if she's solo laning, though that runs the risk of feeling really forced and post laning adds yet another mechanic to a kit that's already splitting its power into a lot of pieces as above.

6. In terms of where that leaves us we could introduce some less reliable abilities and concentrate power (e.g. by removing auras, power chord or multi hit spells and in exchange buffing the remaining elements) to address points 3 and 4 above. That would lead to a drastically different Sona however. There might also be room for some small QoL or buffs, and I expect Sona will be discussed again internally after preseason follow up's on a good track (though I'm personally doubtful we've got much power to work with and simply buffing Sona until she feels good's going to set her up for a nerf)."

Source: http://www.reignofgaming.net/news/32825-server-maintenance-patch-5-22-meddler-on-sona-and

Of course we aren't devs, but we will be making content like tier lists or other such projects. We need to explain ourselves to the public and make sure they understand us well.

If people want a closed forum because they want to say their thoughts without ridicule or other things, I understand that. I would rather have a mostly, not entirely due to some heavy subjects, open to read forum.

If people want a closed forum, I understand, but I would like to find some sort of compromise for people to find something they can understand and talk about so they get it as well.

That much I want to heavily emphasis is my main goal with change of this group from the BBR, to be more open with what we decide.

With that, I shall take off.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Post like that from Meddler are great and make the community happy while building faith in the design team. Putting a public microphone in their conference rooms would do the opposite.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Post like that from Meddler are great and make the community happy while building faith in the design team. Putting a public microphone in their conference rooms would do the opposite.
You nailed more or less my thoughts.

I want to get our opinions out there more like Meddler did, but not make it super open, but I would like it somewhat open, if that makes sense.

Like some sort of limit or area to it, to where this is to far do not share, versus thus that is ok to share.

Kinda get what I am saying here?

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
1. An, at least mostly, private room. We could maybe have a subsection that is public that would have topics we are discussing and then the outcomes, but if everybody can see everything we're saying then any dissenting view starts a witch-hunt.

2. Umm... seriously no idea... will think about it and respond.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I think this perfectly sums up my feelings on why I think the room itself should be private, but why we should have a PR team to release updates on our progress.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
You could always have specific discussion threads designated as exports. This means that everyone posting in the topic knows it will be released publicly at some point, either to further discussion or to share knowledge. An example of this is the weekly character discussion we had with the BBR, where everyone would try and provide input on a character's state in the metagame (not too different from the videos ZeRo does actually), before it was exported to the respective character board. Of course, some discussions ended up great and some were rather meager, but I still like the underlying idea.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Wasn't sure exactly where to put this, but in regards to new members, I'd suggest keeping applications a bit more open rather than being every 6 months or so like they were before Xenforo (please correct me if I'm wrong here, I was a young & naive speculation nerd then). Maybe open applications for a week every ~3 months while cutting back on the number of people who are actually accepted?

We all seem to be interested in making things more transparent than previous BRs (I do agree keeping this group private BTW, Marc's suggestion sounds great), and I think part of that is at least making it "look" like we're lowering the entry bar.

Obviously this is something that probably won't matter for a while (Wave 3?), and should be skipped while handling the finishing touches on important projects such as Tier List voting, but I'd bring it up now rather than later as something to keep in mind as we want to avoid being perceived as "elite" in the wrong sense of the word.

Not sure how it was all done in previous BRs, but from what I've learned from social groups is that new membership is the hardest balancing act when it comes to PR.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
That's an important thing to discuss, thanks for bringing it up.

I'm actually in favor of "waves" or a more structured process, because it forces thinking about the needs and direction of the group. If you are continually accepting and reviewing applications, it's hard for it to become more than a series of one-off personal judgments with ambiguous criteria.

A more structured approach lets us sit down and say things like "Okay, given the projects we have talked about doing, we need a stronger TO presence, specifically at the regional level. Let's give a special look at people who fit that criteria."

Additionally, it's more fair for both sides of the table when there is a clear expectation of when it's appropriate to reapply.

Finally, a structured process can be more transparent--we have the bandwidth to communicate what we're generally looking for every wave. If people are just being added at random times, it looks more like a club. (At least to me)

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Applications periods will be on a set annual frequency where you can apply for a certain amount of time. What those periods are is still being decided, but it'll be kept to an orderly schedule.

M@v

Subarashii!
Finally, a structured process can be more transparent--we have the bandwidth to communicate what we're generally looking for every wave. If people are just being added at random times, it looks more like a club. (At least to me)
The BBR had applications open up like every 6 months IIRC, so it was pretty structured.

Neo Zero

Just so you know, wave 2 of invites (and final wave of invites) have gone out to community members who aren't active on SmashBoards. Once the majority is set up, Tier Discussion will begin, and we'll tag every member to contribute to the Discussion if they wish (voting won't be for a little while after to clarify)

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Random idea for using our budget:

Twitter/Facebook/podcast giveaways, where winner gets a paid entry to a particular Smash tournament. Can tie into a large event. Genesis 3 maybe?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I still think application process should be a thing, as it's more welcoming to the community and gives people a chance to express interest and have an opportunity to prove themselves as candidates. Even in the invite process, it's easy to have prominent or important names slip us by.

Though, that's not to say we should ditch the wave process. If we so feel that certain project require a stronger representation of a certain type of figurehead, perhaps we could let ourselves vocalize key members and then add from there.

M@v

Subarashii!
Random idea for using our budget:

Twitter/Facebook/podcast giveaways, where winner gets a paid entry to a particular Smash tournament. Can tie into a large event. Genesis 3 maybe?
Wouldn't be a bad idea for sure. You could also do signed controller giveaways, or smashboards gear if we can get access to some of those things (the backpacks, etc).

Something we could do as well, and I'd be fine using our own personal money for this, is maybe make a 4br t-shirt or something? Maybe a controller sticker like the big house/genesis 3 compendium ones?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I still think application process should be a thing, as it's more welcoming to the community and gives people a chance to express interest and have an opportunity to prove themselves as candidates. Even in the invite process, it's easy to have prominent or important names slip us by.

Though, that's not to say we should ditch the wave process. If we so feel that certain project require a stronger representation of a certain type of figurehead, perhaps we could let ourselves vocalize key members and then add from there.
My only question in regards to applications is whether or not regular BR members will have any input? The other week I had a more notable user from the character boards I mod PM me about the BR invite/application process and if I could give them a recommendation.

I'm not looking for any particular yes/no response, but I'm curious to know what's going on so far on the Q&A thread front?

TSM ZeRo

1) private but have a pr team to keep the public transparent

2) if the goal is to make the BR more visible and a bigger deal, then content is the way to go imo
something useful? A TOP 100 RANKING OF PLAYERS!!!!

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
My only question in regards to applications is whether or not regular BR members will have any input? The other week I had a more notable user from the character boards I mod PM me about the BR invite/application process and if I could give them a recommendation.

I'm not looking for any particular yes/no response, but I'm curious to know what's going on so far on the Q&A thread front?
I don't know much about the Q&A yet personally, but I think it's fair to get input from fellow BR members. Recommendations are certainly accepted, but the leaders have final say in sending the invites.
1) private but have a pr team to keep the public transparent
Agreed.
2) if the goal is to make the BR more visible and a bigger deal, then content is the way to go imo
something useful? A TOP 100 RANKING OF PLAYERS!!!!
This is a current work in progress...

^_^

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Buuuump.

Has this budget been put to use or are peeps still tring to think of potential ways to use it? Because I'm thinking back to how big some money matches have been, it might be an interesting idea to use the money to draw players together - "X vs Y $100 money match sponsored by the 4br". It generates hype, and could also be used to test things like "I've always wanted to see a dedicated, focused set between Fatality and Shaky". Dunno if that's too sneaky, but is a thought regardless.

Last edited:

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
^ Thats a really good idea imo! Doesn't sound sneaky at all to me. The spectators get to see a hype set, the players get to play for money without putting it on the line themselves, and we get good publicity

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Another thought I've been having, and potentially our next big project, but I was kinda hoping to see us re-open the discussion on miis and perhaps try to come to a bit of a conclusion about what we think they could / should be like in the meta and how they should be used. Then, we could host a tournament using some of our budget to kinda show our support for that ruling, and hope to start a chain reaction in tournament rulesets worldwide.

I hope this isn't too much to think about at once haha.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I think we could do more than just sponsor a money match between 2 players. Adding to a pot bonus for a tournament or maybe even a crew battle (2GG civil war saga) I think would be a better use.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Late but I honestly feel the room should be kept private.
Especially if we head towards discussion for tier lists or anything else, last thing we need for read-only mode for regular members if it was allowed is for them to take our quotes and use it for their arguments or opinions anywhere especially in this chaotic social media age or criticizing us for every sentence we type that they perceive as wrong or incorrect even if it's backed by data and multiple people agreeing on the same thing.

Even if a room is fully hidden, it still doesn't stop people from possibly mentioning as a passing by statement like "yeah we're working on the tier list and it's pretty much done" IRL. Though I like the idea of having a thread/small team to keep minor updates on what all is going on back here.

Still as well, if they have questions in the finished tier list thread on how it turned out like this we still show them the data in the OP (if they read it) and a couple BR people always eventually post their votings in the threads anyways.
If they want to understand even more, guess they take our posts at face value and if we do podcasts in the future they can tune in to get a better idea as we discuss most of the thought process and votings for the tier list as this current example if it's brought up as a topic.

If we're planning on making content like podcasts videos and such, maybe attempt P1's idea of adding a bit more pot bonus to a tournament or try a shot at 4br/Smashboards merch. Though that's of course a decent sized risk depending how much it costs for it all and hoping we get a netspend or possibly even more, unless we're just gonna use the merch for giveaways on social media that's fine too.

Top Bottom