• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

480p capture devices resource list

Wavebuster

Smash Journeyman
This thread is to serve as a resource for those seeking capture devices that capture 480p, mostly via RCA component cables as the Gamecube and Wii are restricted to those for 480p output. Only fairly recently have more affordable options with component input become available in the market. If you game on an HDTV using component cables (if you're lucky and own a CRT HDTV, *highfive*), I hope this helps you find a solution to capturing high quality progressive scan video while not having to change TV setups entirely to do it.

These prices all come from Amazon.com. If other similar devices or better prices for them are around, don't hesitate in sharing that information. Otherwise, these items are arranged in price tiers on Amazon.com:

DBTech USB 2.0 HD Video and Audio Capture Device - $19.99

Pros: By far the most affordable option to capture 480p component video output. Also includes standard 480i composite and S-video inputs.
Cons: Similar to the EasyCap, you get what you pay for. Video quality using component inputs is not nearly as good as what you see onscreen. Sound capture has noise. Maximum capture rate is limited to 30fps. Cannot capture 60fps sources (like Smash) very accurately. Component inputs cannot read 480i signal. Requires additional hardware to split the signal for simultaneous gameplay and capture, adding to costs.

Roxio Game Capture - $80

Pros: Relatively affordable. Includes passthrough ports to both capture video and play on a television simultaneously in real-time.
Cons: Passthrough ports split signal without amplification, degrading their strength and resulting in dim video. Does not include composite or S-video inputs.

AVERMEDIA C281 Game Capture HD - $147-150

Pros: Doesn't require a computer - video recording and processing is done entirely by the recording box, which records to a (not included) internal hard drive or connected USB hard drive.
Cons: Is not a livestreaming device (if your computer is strong enough to livestream, you probably don't need this to record anyway). Quality/progress checking of video still requires a computer. Does not include composite or S-video inputs.

Hauppauge 1445 HD-PVR Gaming Edition High Definition Personal Video Recorder - $199

Pros: Doesn't require a powerful computer. Video recording and processing is done by the recording box, but it records video to a connected computer's hard drives.
Cons: Setup requires a lot of physical space.

Blackmagic Design Intensity Shuttle - $190-200 (USB 3.0 interface) or $239 (Thunderbolt interface)

Pros: Professional and highly versatile device if you get it working with your computer. Most "future-proof" of the hardware listed here, with HDMI input and HD support up to 720p at60fps, and 1080p at 30fps.
Cons: Prohibitively expensive in both the cost of the device itself and advanced system requirements.

Cummings

Smash Apprentice
Ledyard, CT (Right next to Foxwoods/Mohegan Sun)
Really helpful, thanks.
I've been looking at the Roxio capture card, but i was unaware of the dimming video dispay... so how dim are we talking? because what i really want is a capture card that i can afford, and just turn on whenever i play, and not notice it until i review the video later on a computer. video quality isn't really a huge concern, as long as i can tell whats going on. any recommendations?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If you've ever split video from composite, you'll know how dim it gets without amplification. Usually raising the brightness/contrast of the TV can solve this, as far as playing goes. You might also want to adjust the brightness of your recording software as well, though.

I could vouch for the Roxio Easy VHS to DVD. I'd have to look a bit at is pros and cons though. Its something that works for 480p still.

Wavebuster

Smash Journeyman
I could vouch for the Roxio Easy VHS to DVD. I'd have to look a bit at is pros and cons though. Its something that works for 480p still.
Looking at that product, it appears to be only for 480i sources. It doesn't have component inputs, only composite and S-video.

BOrookie

Smash Cadet
I have the Hauppauge HD PVR, it is great for recording video, not so great with popular streaming programs though.... This selection of capture cards is good for recording. If you want to livestream and are willing to drop some cash I would recomend the Internal Capture Card: Black Magic Intensity Pro. Warning about recording with that one though, it records in .avi file format so it takes up a lot of space.

Hayabusa1337

Smash Rookie
Old thread I know. But I'm new to this whole thing, but I'm looking for a 480p capture card for preferably less than $100. Are there any that could stream Game Cube, Wii U, and Xbox One? Those are the main three consoles I'd like to record off of.

Top Bottom