• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spirits Theory: Kirby is not the only survivor

TVDart

Smash Apprentice
I wanted to write out a small theory I had come up with today in regards to the Smash leak.
As we know, Kirby was the only survivor of the Master Being's destructive force, using an emergency escape to warp off the planet.
Now, what's interesting is that any other characters with some form of teleport we quickly saw wiped out, due to their decision to stand back and fight. Correctly if I'm wrong, the only characters who can teleport great distances, without the need of external sources like Mega Man, Link or Sonic, are Bayonetta, Mewtwo, Mario (to the Odyssey) and Palutena. All three had a chance to escape, and stood their ground, only to be destroyed. This is not counting characters whose true abilities or unknown, such as Mr. Game and Watch, who may or may not have transdimensional capabilities.

There is, however, one other character capable of utilization a Teleportation power that we had not seen in the initial cutscene for Spirits. A character, who, for all intensive purposes, had the ability to survive, even just a slight one, the events of the Spirit Hands.

I went through every single character thoroughly to try to pinpoint this exact setup, and what led me to be suspicious is, at the stakes we have, Ness is the only one who could've possibly made it out alive besides Kirby.
You see, Ness learns an interesting ability in Earthbound known as PSI Teleport alpha. This ability allows Ness to teleport anywhere he has been before, as long as he has enough space in front of him to run in a straight line.
What's intriguing to me about this is that in Mother 3, Lucas never receives such an ability. This is something exclusive to Ness alone, and leads me to be suspicious. Assuming every character was on the cliff during the cutscene, Ness would've been able to get out of there using abilities he had learned prior to the events of Smash Ultimate. The speed that Ness goes at during the usage of PSI Teleport is fast enough to suspect he would've been able to dodge the blasts, if only for just long enough to get out of here.

While this is particularly interesting, since Ness is one of the original 12, I wouldn't be surprised if this would lead to him being one of the first unlocks in the game. But there's another piece of this puzzle: Lucas. As of the events of the Subspace Emissary, Ness really cares about Lucas. It's very possible in this scenario that Ness began to teleport, hoping to grab Lucas, only to fail, leaving Ness teleported in a desolate part of the planet, on a hunt to find and rescue his friend. I feel like this would be a really fun and endearing side plot to rescuing everyone; to find Ness, untouched by Spirits, on a journey to find someone he cares deeply about.

This is all just a silly theory, and doesn't have much evidence supporting it, but if anyone was going to survive besides Kirby, it'd be Ness.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
I still wonder about Peach's absence there as one of Nintendo's most iconic female. I mean obviously they couldn't put everyone, but it makes me wonder if there was multiple squads or teams. I would say this was the offense team, but I question why Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, and Duck Hunt would be part of that.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
I'm a firm believer that Ness is canonically the strongest character in smash anyway.

For now, this is my head canon until the game obliterates my dream.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Darn it now Kirby being The Last Smasher can't be a meme if true...:(

I mean get it?

Kirby: The Last Smasher
Rocket Raccoon: The Last Guardian

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Darn it now Kirby being The Last Smasher can't be a meme if true...:(

I mean get it?

Kirby: The Last Smasher
Rocket Raccoon: The Last Guardian
Nope Peach survived by offering the lights of death and destruction some tea. She actually is canonically the strongest being in the universe, both fake and real.

Last edited:

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Yeah, I mean where the heck is Piranha Plant...
Obviously in Peach's lounge and was spared cause the light didn't want to mess with the atmosphere she set for tea time.

Other answer, DLC characters aren't getting into this mode since not everyone will own them.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I wonder if either:

A) We didn't see every character's moment in that cutscene during the Direct because they cut it down for time.

B) We didn't see every character because animating 76 different characters in that scene would take a lot of time (both to work on and to display in a scene) and resources.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
I wonder if either:

A) We didn't see every character's moment in that cutscene during the Direct because they cut it down for time.

B) We didn't see every character because animating 76 different characters in that scene would take a lot of time (both to work on and to display in a scene) and resources.
I kind of hoped they learned from Brawl and didn't all stack up in one place for a team wipe. I'm hoping King Dedede, Ganondorf, and Peach were operating another team in case Team Offense got wiped out.

Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and Duck Hunt Dog just went with the wrong squad. RIP.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Something important to remember was that if they had duplicates in what I'm calling the ominous shot, then odds are they were capture to produce them. That rules out the likes of Dedede, but I don't know about Ness.
I still wonder about Peach's absence there as one of Nintendo's most iconic female. I mean obviously they couldn't put everyone, but it makes me wonder if there was multiple squads or teams. I would say this was the offense team, but I question why Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, and Duck Hunt would be part of that.
It might explain Marth's comment since it didn't really look like their were 700+ of those things. Perhaps the less friendly villains were also absent like Ridley. Though it seems they did get Ganondorf.

This does go out the window though if duplicates can be made without the original.

Though, that blast seemed to be far reaching. How could anyone escape that?

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
No, Kirby is the only survivor.

He shouldn't be if certain other characters were accurately portrayed. But thems the brakes.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Really, Sonic is the only one that comes to mind that might be able to directly outrun them. Maybe Snake could hide from them, and maybe he did and the box was a decoy.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Really, Sonic is the only one that comes to mind that might be able to directly outrun them. Maybe Snake could hide from them, and maybe he did and the box was a decoy.
Literally from Rosalina's Smash Wii U/3DS trailer.

There's plenty of other points in her favour but that's all you need really.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Literally from Rosalina's Smash Wii U/3DS trailer.

There's plenty of other points in her favour but that's all you need really.
Yeah, if she had a launch star lying around while Kirby has been shown to be able to summon the warp star in a pinch.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Spawning Launch Stars at will is literally her Up-B.
Not exactly the real deal as she is far from cosmic speeds and they look more energy based, but it doesn't matter that much I suppose. The starter 8 are the only ones who probably had a shot as this is probably at least one way of unlocking them. Would have been nice though if all 8 made it. Mario going all super athletic and showing us why he is king.

ps_

Banned via Warnings
List of characters who survived:
  • Ganondorf, 1500+ miles away, working out at the gym non-stop to escape bottom tier in time for Ultimate.
  • Ridley, who went home the moment someone said "let's stop the evildoers." He then spent the evening rewatching Alien and reheating some lasagna with Samus' parents in it.
  • Dark Samus, who upon realizing the beams weren't phazon (and thus unable to affect her) got in her Ford pickup and drove to Walmart.
  • Cloud, because having him present would be far too expensive.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Theoretically, Dark Samus is still vulnerable to cosmic level attacks even if they aren't phazon.

Not that it matters since it was a teleportation thing.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Before I reply, I want to say that I felt bad even for Bayonetta. When she used Bats Within, I thought, "Come on, get out of there!" Then Bayonetta was hit by the beam of light. I don't even like Bayonetta in and out of Super Smash Bros., but I felt so bad for her. I also felt pretty bad for Shulk, who witnessed the event twice, both as a premonition and as reality. Also, notice Link's shield blocked like two beams of light, but Zelda's Nayru's Love and Palutena's Reflect didn't. So, does that mean once Link was hit, his shield was left behind? When Palutena was hit, Pit and Dark Pit lost their power of flight. What a sad event. :sadeyes: On to the theory!

Correctly if I'm wrong, the only characters who can teleport great distances, without the need of external sources like Mega Man, Link or Sonic, are Bayonetta, Mewtwo, Mario (to the Odyssey) and Palutena. All three had a chance to escape, and stood their ground, only to be destroyed. This is not counting characters whose true abilities or unknown, such as Mr. Game and Watch, who may or may not have transdimensional capabilities.
Dark Samus is capable of teleporting, and in fact, her teleportation at least grants her inter-planetary travel. She was on planet Tallon IV. She teleported to a rogue planet called Aether. This was confirmed by the Metroid Prime 2: Dark Echoes Q&A, which said, "Dark Samus has the ability to 'short range' warp and used this to move to Aether. The Luminoth do not have forecasting capabilities, so they were unable to predict the fall of the meteorite. The meteorite’s destructive power exhausted the Luminoth's power and won." Now, of course, the next thing is that this seems to be more than inter-planetary. It very well could be that Dark Samus can travel from one solar system to another.

There is, however, one other character capable of utilization a Teleportation power that we had not seen in the initial cutscene for Spirits. A character, who, for all intensive purposes, had the ability to survive, even just a slight one, the events of the Spirit Hands.
You mean "intents and purposes", not "intensive purposes".

I went through every single character thoroughly to try to pinpoint this exact setup, and what led me to be suspicious is, at the stakes we have, Ness is the only one who could've possibly made it out alive besides Kirby.
You see, Ness learns an interesting ability in Earthbound known as PSI Teleport alpha. This ability allows Ness to teleport anywhere he has been before, as long as he has enough space in front of him to run in a straight line.
There's a bit of a problem. Galeem's life-wiping ability went galactic, as in, it encompassed the Milky Way. If Ness can only teleport to where he's been before, he wouldn't have been able to escape. You know, if Samus had tried to escape, rather than fought those beams of light, she could have made it. Her ship is capable of traveling 72 times the speed of light, according to the Metroid Prime Web site. This means she would have been capable of traveling over 13 million miles in one second. Not only that, she's traveled to different galaxies throughout the series, especially in Metroid Prime Hunters. Oh well.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Before I reply, I want to say that I felt bad even for Bayonetta. When she used Bats Within, I thought, "Come on, get out of there!" Then Bayonetta was hit by the beam of light. I don't even like Bayonetta in and out of Super Smash Bros., but I felt so bad for her. I also felt pretty bad for Shulk, who witnessed the event twice, both as a premonition and as reality. Also, notice Link's shield blocked like two beams of light, but Zelda's Nayru's Love and Palutena's Reflect didn't. So, does that mean once Link was hit, his shield was left behind? When Palutena was hit, Pit and Dark Pit lost their power of flight. What a sad event. :sadeyes: On to the theory!

Dark Samus is capable of teleporting, and in fact, her teleportation at least grants her inter-planetary travel. She was on planet Tallon IV. She teleported to a rogue planet called Aether. This was confirmed by the Metroid Prime 2: Dark Echoes Q&A, which said, "Dark Samus has the ability to 'short range' warp and used this to move to Aether. The Luminoth do not have forecasting capabilities, so they were unable to predict the fall of the meteorite. The meteorite’s destructive power exhausted the Luminoth's power and won." Now, of course, the next thing is that this seems to be more than inter-planetary. It very well could be that Dark Samus can travel from one solar system to another.

You mean "intents and purposes", not "intensive purposes".

There's a bit of a problem. Galeem's life-wiping ability went galactic, as in, it encompassed the Milky Way. If Ness can only teleport to where he's been before, he wouldn't have been able to escape. You know, if Samus had tried to escape, rather than fought those beams of light, she could have made it. Her ship is capable of traveling 72 times the speed of light, according to the Metroid Prime Web site. This means she would have been capable of traveling over 13 million miles in one second. Not only that, she's traveled to different galaxies throughout the series, especially in Metroid Prime Hunters. Oh well.
Shouldn't have tried to reflect a non-reflectable. Also, Hylian shield is apparently the Nintendo equivalent to Captain America's sheild now.

The Galaxy wide thing also discounts Dark Samus as Solar System hopping wouldn't be enough. Though, for those long range trips is it possible Dark Samus is dimension hopping for shorting travel? If so, the other dimension may have been safe.

Also, Shulk was for some reason at the front, so he probably only saw it once.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Shouldn't have tried to reflect a non-reflectable. Also, Hylian shield is apparently the Nintendo equivalent to Captain America's sheild now.

The Galaxy wide thing also discounts Dark Samus as Solar System hopping wouldn't be enough. Though, for those long range trips is it possible Dark Samus is dimension hopping for shorting travel? If so, the other dimension may have been safe.

Also, Shulk was for some reason at the front, so he probably only saw it once.
Link's shield has been compared to Captain America's shield for a while now, ever since Skyward Sword. Although, I'd say the Hylian Shield in SS is actually the only shield that's most like Cap's. The reason is because the description says, "You got the Hylian Shield! This legendary shield is imbued with heroic power, making it completely indestructible!" All other Hylian shields are copies, and Hyrule Historia supports that the other shields are made of steel.

Dark Samus was capable of entering Dark Aether, but I'm not sure if the presence of Phazon even exists in the SSB universe. Dark Samus could only exist if there is Phazon, so if she was wise, she would enter a different dimension.

Shulk has an ability called Visions in Xenoblade. It allows him to see the future before it happens, allowing him to counter. Of course, seeing the future cannot always address certain attacks. For example, if Shulk foresaw a nuclear explosion, he wouldn't be able to avoid it, unless he has some ability I'm not aware of that would allow him to escape in time.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Link's shield has been compared to Captain America's shield for a while now, ever since Skyward Sword. Although, I'd say the Hylian Shield in SS is actually the only shield that's most like Cap's. The reason is because the description says, "You got the Hylian Shield! This legendary shield is imbued with heroic power, making it completely indestructible!" All other Hylian shields are copies, and Hyrule Historia supports that the other shields are made of steel.

Dark Samus was capable of entering Dark Aether, but I'm not sure if the presence of Phazon even exists in the SSB universe. Dark Samus could only exist if there is Phazon, so if she was wise, she would enter a different dimension.

Shulk has an ability called Visions in Xenoblade. It allows him to see the future before it happens, allowing him to counter. Of course, seeing the future cannot always address certain attacks. For example, if Shulk foresaw a nuclear explosion, he wouldn't be able to avoid it, unless he has some ability I'm not aware of that would allow him to escape in time.
I know (I actually beat Xenoblade Chronicles), but I'm saying he was probably one of the first to get taken out due to proximity so he didn't have to witness it again. He might also could survive the nuke with a high enough shield art depending on its classification. Shield from the game, not from Smash since it seems to work more like Armor.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I know (I actually beat Xenoblade Chronicles), but I'm saying he was probably one of the first to get taken out due to proximity so he didn't have to witness it again. He might also could survive the nuke with a high enough shield art depending on its classification. Shield from the game, not from Smash since it seems to work more like Armor.
Oh, you think Shield Art could do that? I wonder how durable and resistant that can become.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Oh, you think Shield Art could do that? I wonder how durable and resistant that can become.
It's comparable to the level of the attack. Depends on what the nuke might be ranked and the rank of the art itself. It's pretty much all or nothing too. It either blocks almost all damage or does nothing.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Basically any character who wasn't seen in that World of Light scene are probably fine. Because at the end where it shows all the dark version of the characters, you can sort of see who is who based on their silhouette, and then there are random glowing eyes in the background that don't have any body outlines. Since Ness has the Franklin Badge, I wonder if the light would be reflected anyway.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Basically any character who wasn't seen in that World of Light scene are probably fine. Because at the end where it shows all the dark version of the characters, you can sort of see who is who based on their silhouette, and then there are random glowing eyes in the background that don't have any body outlines. Since Ness has the Franklin Badge, I wonder if the light would be reflected anyway.
None of the other reflectors works.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
My theory is that
the characters not shown in the cutscene were confronting (and being destroyed by) Dharkon.

Uffe

Smash Hero
My theory is that
the characters not shown in the cutscene were confronting (and being destroyed by) Dharkon.
I don't know who that character is, but if it's from World of Light, don't tell me anything else about it. O: That's the only thing I don't want spoiled from this game.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
If teleporting alone was good enough to escape the wrath of Galeem I doubt Abra, who has a role as a Pokeball this time round, would have been turned into a spirit either.

Abra's whole canonical thing is the ability to sense danger(like Shulk) and teleport away from it(like Kirby) after all. It's the one Pokemon that was seemingly designed for avoiding that attack but if the entire planet gets exploded where can he go?

I'm not massively familiar with Earthbound or MOTHER admittedly, but doesn't Ness need a location to teleport to outside the known universe in order to survive?

Top Bottom