• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

4 Stages of mindset to help improvement

Mr Flibble

Smash Rookie
Hi all,
I've recently gottend involved in a few discussions with people in regards to mindset and how to use it to improve and I've noticed that one particular method does not often come up, but proves to be a very good way at looking at mentality in not only gaming but in real life in general. Anyway let's get onto the meaty stuff.

So there are 4 steps/stages to this mindset, they come in an order and complete to make a circle so you're always going to be at one stage no matter how good or bad you are.

Stage 1 - Unconscious Incompetence:
As you can probably imagine, this is where you have no idea what makes you out of reach of that next level of your gameplay, it could be anything from not shield dropping or just understanding the neutral.
The point is, you are unaware of what holds you back and until you realise this you will never improve and stay at the same level.

Stage 2 - Conscious Incompetence:
Congratulations, you realised what you are lacking! Either from watching VODs of your gameplay or just playing enough friendlies you realise that you are missing something from your game.
This stage what most players will be at, as the more flaws you spot in your game the more improvement you can make and help you on your way to be the most complete player possible

Stage 3 - Conscious Competence:
At this stage, you've practiced hard enough at something to the point where you can now put this into your game and you realise how it is affecting your overall gameply, wheter it be shine out of shield or simply improving your ability to move from one side of the stage to the other using different paths.
This is the most rewarding part of this 4 stage mindset model, however all of this improvement can lead onto many damaging mindsets...

Stage 4 - Unconscious Competence:
At this stage, you don't really notice your improvement, it's pretty much second nature to you now. That's a good thing right? Not always, as it can lead to a mentality of overconfidence, cockiness and entitlement. I will go through a few ways this stage is usually shown as.
Autopiloting is one thing I've seen happen at this stage a lot, as things become more second nature you think less about them, so if someone latches onto a habbit you've recently developed as a result of this improvement you will most likely get punished for it.

This is the point where Stage 4 leads BACK to stage 1. One improvement in your game may come at a cost of another if you focus too hard and dwell too much on how "slick my haxdash is" to the point where you lose another aspect of your game.
In my eyes, it is most important to keep a good balance between stage 2 and 3 as it can lead to a healthy amount of improvement while still utilising what you already are proficient at.

That pretty much sums it up, if you've ever been on a training course that focusses on your mindset you may have come across this, as stated before it's not only a good for Melee but also anything else you want to become good at whether it be a video game or real life.

I hope you found this as useful as I did when I started to think about it in a Melee setting!

FabKnight

Smash Rookie
Really cool post! I've used the same method (with different names for each step) in performing music, but I've never thought of it being applied to Melee because of the music-specific terminology we were using. I'm gonna give this a shot, because I've been struggling with growing more confident in my skill because I don't know how to structure my learning. Thanks!

Mr Flibble

Smash Rookie
Really cool post! I've used the same method (with different names for each step) in performing music, but I've never thought of it being applied to Melee because of the music-specific terminology we were using. I'm gonna give this a shot, because I've been struggling with growing more confident in my skill because I don't know how to structure my learning. Thanks!
Yeah, it's a really great tool to use in pretty much everything you do. It's an amazing technique that people should apply more

Top Bottom