• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3v3 and 4v4 Discussion

Diosdi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Oni-Link-1111
3DS FC
1865-0292-7344
So, I have been always looking for a way to get people into 3v3 ("Triples") and 4v4 ("Tetras") modes tournament, and it seems like there is no stable ruleset; i always end up seing 2 stocks, 8 mins, Big Battlefield, but IMO there is so much you can do.

It is no secret that the 8 player mode has many limitations, but this comes as a good thing in the long run. Many stages that could be considered legal because of their layout, are not in this categoy for normal Singles because they have some kind of hazzard. The most notable example of this is Pyrosphere. When having more than 4 players in the fight, many hazzards are nowhere to be seen, Ridley.

Triples allows for less stages than normal Singles or Doubles. And Tetras even less. But a viable stage list can be done with what we have.

Every stage that is legal in Singles is capable of having 4v4 battles (except for FD, substitutable for omegas, and Miiverse, substitutable for BF), so I'm not gonna talk about them, I'm also not going to talk about BBF, as it is practically made to be the stage of 3v3 and 4v4. Im gonna have cases for stages that i consider could be legal (not saying if neutral or CP, just legal)

• Luigi's Mansion: The pillar hitboxes are no longer there, making it a stable stage with a big main hard platform in the first level with two small soft platforms in the middle; then the second floor is a hard plaform with the exception of the middle part, and the top floor is a big soft platform. The two small soft platforms to the sides are also nowhere to be seen. Bad part of this stage is thaat it is too small and stretch, with room for many wall/ceiling combos taking advange of the close gaps betweent the first and second floors.
  • Congo Jungle: There isn't much to explain about this, just that many people use it aas a doubles stage for its acceptable layout. Still a bit stretcch of a stage, but much more open aired than LM
  • Pyrosphere: I happen to deffend very much this stage for 3v3 and 4v4. Its main plat is huge, it has two soft plats to each side and most important, no hazzards like Ridley. IMO one of the best pics for this.
  • Norfair: The lava transitions are no longer here, making it just the five plats. Down side of NF is that in terms of ground, there isnt much. Still, it is very open and big, with no hazzards.
  • Pokemon Stadium 2: This stage is small and it makes fights very stretch, much like LM, but transitions are ove, making it just the main plat plus the two main plats.
  • Castle Siege: I am not a fan of this stage, but there is people who defend it, so here we go. The first transition is small, but the second and third one do have plenty of space. Still, i think that the factors that make this stage illegal in singles apply to triples and tetras.
  • Hyrule Castle: I think that this stage is very suited for this, as its space is very comfortable and open aired. Down sides are thee sae as in 64; tornado and the fight club in the little green house. Besides, i think that this stage is very suited because of its space
  • Midgar: If i'm not mistaken, i think that Midgar's layout of platforms is exactly the same as BF, if not, this could act as a substitute for BF, similar to how Miiverse is in Singles. Summons and Summon Materia are not in the 3v3 and 4v4 versions of Midgar.
  • Umbra Clock Tower: Back when Bayo released, I defended the use of this stage, as it is very good in my opinion and it adds variety. The same pros and cons from back in the day when discussing if it was viable for singles are appliable here, as nothing appears to cchange in layout.
Those are what I think are the most likely, but of course i don't think ALL should be legalized. Also, I think that not all 1v1 stages should be legal in 3v3 and 4v4.

Doing research I realized that all stages i mentioned above are usable in both 3v3 and 4v4, meaning that it is very plausible to just do one ruleset for both modes without changing the stage list.

In terms of stcok and time, I do think that there should be a variable. Making it 3 stcoks for 3v3 and 2 stocks for 4v4 is what i think would be optimal, just for time reasons.

Of all this, I would like to know all of your thoughts. I make this thread following what Shaya said of the anti-meta, as a sorts of non-conventional rulesets initiative. 3v3 and 4v4 open up many possibilities, but also imposes many liabilities. Let me know your thoughts ;)

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I don't mean to be blunt, but my thoughts on the topic are that we shouldn't even begin to discuss potential rules for 3s and 4s without knowing how to discuss even a singles ruleset. Not that I'm against ever visiting this, but in terms of priority for what's needed in the community right now, there are many more things needed far before this.

Yikarur

Smash Master
We play 3on3 on the sunday of our 3 day events and a lot of people enjoy it. But we don't really have a set ruleset for it. It's always like "pick whatever you want, come to an agreement somehow" and it works heh

I have a lot of 3on3 experience and I absolutely despise Big Battlefield. The stage is too large, even for 3on3. And if a 1on1 Situation occurs circle camping is a viable strategy.
my favorite stages for 3on3 are the normal single stages, Normal Battlefield, Smashville etc.
You don't need a stage that is so large that you could fight 3 seperate 1on1's. This is triples and smaller stages enhance the team factor a lot more.

Top Bottom