• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS 3DS Japanese Release Build Demo Event Day II (Keep questions for AMA after event) [TY Zipzo's Wife]

• Thread starter Deleted member 245254
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
There's a video where MegaMan at 55% throws a barrel at Marth, he counters, and kills MegaMan. Marth in general seems to be more strength-oriented which is weird, but we'll see how that turns out.
This is especially odd since Ike exists... and Roy too, lol. Marth was always a finesse and speedy alternative to them.
Hey, buddy, no need to get snappy.
Hmm? Oh I wasn't mad. I just wanted to make it clear that was roughly 1 of my 4 points and that it sounded like you thought it was my whole point.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
Can you guys test the landing lag of all the sword moves. Can Metaknight Short hop Fair and autocancel? Can the new fire emblem characters autocancel quickly or land with tiny landing lag? Does Lucina's fair have tiny landing lag or marth's heavy landing lag?

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Comparing Falcon's Nair and Fair landing lag makes it seem fairly clear that his Nair will be better used as his go-to approach option, while Fair will be better used a powerful kill move that can't be thrown out without consequence. Makes sense to me. :ohwell:

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
Can you guys test the landing lag of all the sword moves. Can Metaknight Short hop Fair and autocancel? Can the new fire emblem characters autocancel quickly or land with tiny landing lag? Does Lucina's fair have tiny landing lag or marth's heavy landing lag?
Lucina's not in this one, IIRC.

JoeInky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JoeInky
3DS FC
4596-9442-7695
I agree that it's probably time for new champions to reign. MK, Marth, Fox, and Falco all had their day. Time to give the strength to a new group.
MK will probably still end up being top tier.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I agree that it's probably time for new champions to reign. MK, Marth, Fox, and Falco all had their day. Time to give the strength to a new group.
It's a pretty fair stance to take. I suppose what we kinda wish for is that the characters which were good aren't gutted, it usually isn't as simple as it looks. Marth having grab releases on characters helped him in a lot of match ups, a guaranteed 25-40% from a throw at 0 was also helpful. Those types of features gave those characters a lot for free, and without them they would likely suffer in more ways than they already do (Marth and Falco had enough holes in Brawl, IMO; if Falco didn't have his chain grab Fox would be better in a lot of people's eyes as he has much more rounded abilities in applying damage/low commitment with amazing kill options).

I don't mind a mid-tier Marth. Depending on who you ask people think he already is (in Brawl). Widespread popularity is a bit of a curse, he definitely was one of the most popular characters throughout Brawl's history, although the statistics tell us he underrepresented in dominance based on his usage. If your notion of nerf justifications is "too popular let's see new characters", sure, but my notion of any nerf (that as he was high tier would probably be justified) would only really need the most minute changes and the 'automatic' removal of any dumb things he had in either game would probably be pretty substantial as it is.

Last edited:

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
Let me quote myself.

I mentioned projectiles, and I mentioned closed range. What I described was kinda sorta zoning and smart defensive play that isn't camping per say.

It'd be like you're "boxed in" to use a projectile (like a more normal fighting game like Street Fighter where you're in a more limited place of battle), but unlike that you can weave in and out for offensive and defensive purposes.

What I'm getting at is ROB can't spam from like the other side of a mid-large stage anymore. He'll have to be within about 5 character lengths to be most effective, and he'll have to space well, too.
I get what you're saying, but the thing is ROB somewhat functioned better at around that range in Brawl as it was. While laser functioned alright as a long range poke, it wasn't spammable because of it's two second cool down. What made ROB effective at zoning was using a laser to keep them near the ground, then using gyro to follow up to try to catching them running at you or jumping out. If they got past both of those, f-tilt was there to out range a majority of moves, barring large disjoints. And I do agree R.O.B. zoning could use some fine tuning, but because of his large body and even floatier than normal nature, I don't think more movement would help much. Personally I think just making side b better for reflecting projectiles and making it so gyro doesn't disappear on shields would fix everything about ROB, especially since he needs some kind of supplement to his neutral game now that glide tossing is likely no longer an option. But I digress. If you want to discuss this any further, let's take it to pm's, but I get where you're coming from.

Ting Sing

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CADANAMAN
From what I've read so far, Robin seems really interesting. And Pacman doesn't sound that bad, either.

Falcon... well, I guess I'll have to find out when I play. If his up B goes straight up, then... that's just weird. Hopefully it's compensation for some other buff, maybe.

SunnyVoxels

Smash Rookie
NNID
mylescox
Huh, Falcon's side-B looks like it's a lot more powerful this time around. Perhaps it's just wishful thinking. I'm fine with fair having hella lag in the first place, as long as nair/uair isn't laggy I'm good.

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
Also, I don't have a reddit either, but some one mind posting a link for it when the AMA hits? Wouldn't mind seeing new information regardless whether I was the one to ask for it or not.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Zipzo is nearing the end of his play session (I believe) and is starting an AMA soon. Lucina is also not in the demo.
Edit: :4greninja: 'd

Last edited:

fanboss2

Smash Apprentice
Anything on Dedede ? Especially his Final Smash ?

Also, I keep hearing stuff about Palutena having an alt being Viridi Colors. Is that confirmed ?

EDIT : Oops, if he's doing an AMA I guess I will wait.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Doesn't mean you have to change them. Leave them as is, only more balanced.

Whoever is the best is the best. It shouldn't be done for a "new group."

(I still think it's gonna be Pikachu or Falco if it's a veteran though, because Pikachu looks mad underrated as always)

Regardless, hopefully the top tier character is entertaining. Fox was in Melee, while Pikachu in 64 and Meta Knight in Brawl did not IMO.

Last edited:

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
Does Mario have Flight Colors from Super Mario Galaxy?

What is the Symbol for Tomodachi?

Kamikam70

Smash Cadet
Does anyone has the link for the upcoming AMA ? I really would like to ask about Robin's alts...

Kamikam70

Smash Cadet
Does Mario have Flight Colors from Super Mario Galaxy?

What is the Symbol for Tomodachi?
It's the cute little house on the official music video from SSB, you can see it on the "Music" part of the official site. (I can't put a link, as I must have posted 10 comments. Uu)

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I'm kinda sad about Pit's costumes not being one of the greater ones, but at least he got a pink one.
For Palutena's attacks, I'm loving the way they sound, especially the fact that she has another shield smacking attack. I always wanted to see a character use a shield bash attack of the sort, and Palutena made that wish come true.

Also, Give Zipzo a break guys, sheesh. He's taking his time to give us a lot of info as it is, and some of you are a bit greedy with wanting more and more. Some of you need to start appreciating what he's doing for us, and Japan isn't even getting the full game til next week. Be thankful for what we have now, and I for one appreciate all the info he's given us.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I get what you're saying, but the thing is ROB somewhat functioned better at around that range in Brawl as it was. While laser functioned alright as a long range poke, it wasn't spammable because of it's two second cool down. What made ROB effective at zoning was using a laser to keep them near the ground, then using gyro to follow up to try to catching them running at you or jumping out.
Bruh, but if you make it too long, we're back at Brawl. And quite frankly, not many people want timed out 8 minute matches against ROB chasing him in competitive play. Projectiles have been fixed because that's not what most people want. Sure, some Brawl faithful want that, but that's what Brawl is for (similar to people who want simple things to be crazy technical sticking to Melee).

And again, projectiles don't go as far. Pit's arrows maybe go half as far. Link's and Toon Link's arrows can't go as far (thanks to Quick Drawing being gone). Sheik's needles go shorter distances. Fox's blaster is the shortest it has ever been. There's numerous examples like this, and soon, R.O.B. will be another character among them.

That's not to say he can't effectively zone of course. Snake in Brawl zoned perfectly. However, his style will have to involve more risks, as projectiles are less safe, which makes for a more action-centric smash experience.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Did he ever post anything on Sonic's alts?
Sonic has a white, Silver-ish costume and all the rest are his normal 'tinted blue' skins with the different wristbands. However, some characters don't have their full 8 costume changes Sakurai said they would all have, so there could be more.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Thank you so much for this information, Zipzo! I regret not being able to go to this event (why they didn't have one in Kyushu is beyond me) but this information will really help as we prepare for the Japanese release. To everyone else, please be mindful that Zipzo may be unable to answer some questions so please keep them brief and don't be too disappointing if it isn't what you didn't want to hear..

Last edited:

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
Bruh, but if you make it too long, we're back at Brawl. And quite frankly, not many people want timed out 8 minute matches against ROB chasing him in competitive play. Projectiles have been fixed because that's not what most people want. Sure, some Brawl faithful want that, but that's what Brawl is for (similar to people who want simple things to be crazy technical sticking to Melee).

And again, projectiles don't go as far. Pit's arrows maybe go half as far. Link's and Toon Link's arrows can't go as far (thanks to Quick Drawing being gone). Sheik's needles go shorter distances. Fox's blaster is the shortest it has ever been. There's numerous examples like this, and soon, R.O.B. will be another character among them.

That's not to say he can't effectively zone of course. Snake in Brawl zoned perfectly. However, his style will have to involve more risks, as projectiles are less safe, which makes for a more action-centric smash experience.
Well, in this particular forums it seems a lot of people is pro brawl, seeming how according to this info its shaping to be a brawl 2.0 then im guessing people is really happy with it. Seems like its not entirely a new smash and far away from melee.

Time to accept that this game is shaping to be the continuation of brawl.

DarkCloud1267

Smash Rookie
NNID
DarkCloud1267
Sonic has a white, Silver-ish costume and all the rest are his normal 'tinted blue' skins with the different wristbands. However, some characters don't have their full 8 costume changes Sakurai said they would all have, so there could be more.
I like the sound of the silverish one at least

Heefe

Smash Apprentice
Just wanted to say THANK YOU! Your information really helps getting a feel for the final build.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yes. One big thank you to Zipzo.

You're a champ, you know that?

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184

I think you kind of a missed what I said, but that could have been how I worded it. I was saying ROBs zoning functioned somewhat better at the mid range as it was in Brawl. If they shortened the range of laser to the mid charge distance of the top it wouldn't effect his game plan that much at all. If it happens to be shorter I'd be fine with it. Heck it'd probably change the tempo of matches quite a bit, but the thing is it doesn't matter if it's only half of Final Destinations length or full screen. So long as I can effectively keep people out they'll complain about "camping" and zoning regardless. Honestly it's not about keeping it faithful to Brawl or what ever. I just want them to be able to create a zoning character in Smash Bros. that's fun and effective, and at that point if anyone complains all I can say is haters gonna hate.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I love how people got all this footage and secret pictures and none of them could snap pictures of these snazzy re-colors and alts we've heard about.

Priorities people.~~~

SunnyVoxels

Smash Rookie
NNID
mylescox
Falcon's aerials. So bad, and then so good. I'm praying that that Fair was just him missing whatever technique, instead of it being that slow. The rest of his aerials looks golden though.
Wow, that looks great. He's just bouncing around with little lag. Loving it. (Ouside of the knee, duh.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

I'll ask here because I cba to make a Reddit account.

Can you confirm if Peach's double jump has been brought back to its former glory, or is it still short like Brawl? @Zipzo
Peaches second jump appeared to be the way it is in Brawl. It did not give her significant height.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom