• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS 3DS Japanese Release Build Demo Event Day II (Keep questions for AMA after event) [TY Zipzo's Wife]

• Thread starter Deleted member 245254
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Falcon actually managed to dunk Charizard (who uses a Lugia alt btw)
Woah woah woah, now you just hold this right there

Did you just say

Lugia alt?

If this kind of hype is indeed real I need to know right now, exactly what do you mean by Lugia alt? White body, light blue belly and blue inner wings?

Last edited:

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Robin and Lucina were definitely good main choices on my part. FE:A represent!

Did you just say

Lugia alt?

If this kind of hype is indeed real I need to know right now, exactly what do you mean by Lugia alt? White body, light blue belly and blue inner wings?
I thought it was aerodactyl.

Last edited:

GameDragon

Smash Cadet

Did you just say

Lugia alt?

I would call it more of an Aerodactyl alt than a Lugia one.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
So not just did the Smash 4 development team make Marth not Marth by taking away all of his combos and all of his aerial combos, but they took away his greatest strengths in his ability to use his long range and to control space=???

Well that's stupid. It's like they purposefully ruined one of the easily 5 best designed smash characters ever.

Hopefully Lucina is the redeemer, because this direction for Marth sucks. No wonder all the top Melee and Brawl Marth players plan to move onto :4lucina:.

I mean, if you want to drastically change a character, change characters that have clear design flaws like Charizard, Zelda, Falcondorf, Mario, or ROB, not a character that is fairly well balanced and people love as is.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
On the reddit thread, Zipzo said:

Update 3:

"Well that's it for me tonight, seems info has slowed down along with traffic, so it should be easy enough to keep yourself updated! Thanks for all the hype! Looking forward to the best Smash game yet!!"

So we're done?

D

Deleted member 245254

Update 3:

"Well that's it for me tonight, seems info has slowed down along with traffic, so it should be easy enough to keep yourself updated! Thanks for all the hype! Looking forward to the best Smash game yet!!"

So we're done?
I did not say that.

Switters

Smash Rookie
as someone that used fox/falco in every iteration of smash bros. Im choosing a different character to main. I was hoping duck hunt dog would be in the game, but unsure if its true. So im very interested to hear all this character information, im leaning towards peach at the moment.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion

Update 3:

So we're done?
That was the Reddit updater who said that.

Doctor Down Tilt

Smash Rookie

Update 3:

So we're done?
That was posted by supersonic159, the one who's been parroting all of Zipzo's posts on reddit

EDIT: Ninja'd

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Zipzo will post where his AMA will be when the time comes. Don't fret.

Also

I would consider the information we receive from Zipzo as likely real/solid,
anything you see that contradicts that I'd likely place in the 'fake/troll' pile

Zipzo has double checked and there is no outset costume available for Toon Link

Shariq

Smash Journeyman

Update 3:

So we're done?
lol that was not him. it was someone on reddit who was keeping the smash reddit up to date on this info

EDIT: :4greninja:'d

Last edited:

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
I'm just curious about something here, and forgive me if this is my misunderstanding, but what was meant by "Lucina isn't playable in the demo" before? I thought Sakurai tweeted before that the demo that would be in the stores was the final release build? Does this mean the demo build can't unlock some characters? Has there been any mention anywhere in the offsite posts about unlocking characters yet? Again, apologies if this is a stupid question.
1. Lucina not being playable now would indeed mean she is an unlockable character.
2. We don't know if the demo can unlock characters yet.
3. To my knowledge there hasn't been any mention of it offsite.
4. No need to apologize, as long as you don't ask Zipzos any questions for the moment and keep the talk about what we do know (or may find out soon) then it should be all good. :)

RIDLEY is too SMALL

Smash Journeyman
And with those ledge mechanics, combo potential, fast Shield drops and rolls this game is shaping up to be an unique and new Smash experience
LOL I've been trying to learn how to consistently shield drop for a while, and I still haven't gotten it down in a reliable way. I sincerely doubt that people are going to pick up Smash 4 and start shield dropping all over the place, let alone know what it is.

Still, I agree that Smash 4 seems very unique. It seems somewhat Brawl-esque, but it also has plenty of changes that makes it its own thing at the same time. I'm definitely willing to give it a fair shot.

Last edited:

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
1. Lucina not being playable now would indeed mean she is an unlockable character.
4. No need to apologize, as long as you don't ask Zipzos any questions for the moment and keep the talk about what we do know (or may find out soon) then it should be all good. :)
After the number of matches played, I'd say the demo can't do unlocks.

D

Deleted member 245254

Let me clarify some things on Pac-Man.

He DID feel slow but he wasn't ineffective. I generally play faster characters in general. Me and my friend have talked extensively about him having both played him and he feels A LOT like mr game and watch.

It's kind of a..."dorky" slowness, does that make sense? It's really so hard to explain without you actually playing him.

He's got this quirkiness in his movements, but his hitboxes are really good which appear to be the compensation for his pretty slow movement speed.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
:4robinm::4robinf:

Finally! Being a character loyalist paid off!

Now if only Charizard was as good. :4charizard:
Well, his Flare Blitz and Flamethrower look disgusting; plus Seismic Toss. That's a good sign for things to come. :006:

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
I mean, if you want to drastically change a character, change characters that have clear design flaws like Charizard, Zelda, Falcondorf, Mario, or ROB, not a character that is fairly well balanced and people love as is.
I take offense to that. If anything, R.O.B. has a very well made moveset with a variety of strategies to use with it. The only two mediocre moves are his side b and his down air. But let's not delve into this here.

Anyways, yeah, I agree with what you said with Marth. Shame to see him so neutered, but possibly since he was consistently withing the top 5 of the tiers they decided they should try something drastic to nerf him. Just sad that it seems as though they went to far. Hope something gets discovered for him.

im just peachy

Smash Ace
NNID
hiimej
3DS FC
3196-3456-0998
Can't believe Daisy just got another palette swap ! With all these alternate costumes going on, i would have adored an actual Daisy this time around. Rather disappointed in this ... Hopefully the Daisy color change is better than brawls.
:4peach:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
So not just did the Smash 4 development team make Marth not Marth by taking away all of his combos and all of his aerial combos, but they took away his greatest strengths in his ability to use his long range and to control space=???

Well that's stupid. It's like they purposefully ruined one of the easily 5 best designed smash characters ever.

Hopefully Lucina is the redeemer, because this direction for Marth sucks. No wonder all the top Melee and Brawl Marth players plan to move onto :4lucina:.

Being fair he was top tier in both Melee and Brawl.

So him being nerfed again isn't unreasonable.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
I'm quite embarrassed, to say the least.

I getting ahead of myself and I'm so exhausted after staying up so late. It's 4:27 AM where I live.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896

MMM_AJ

Smash Rookie
Ah, thank you for the clarification, that does make a lot of sense. I've been holding out a tiny, atom-sized mote of hope that somehow Mewtwo might make the cut. Ever since the ESRB leak that showed a roster that was supposedly close to final but questionable due to the all star lock symbol, I've been looking out for any possible evidence that the unsupported text leaks including Mewtwo might be real. Pretty much stayed up all night watching this thread for any possible news like that. If the demo build can't unlock characters then I might head to bed and get some rest.

After the number of matches played, I'd say the demo can't do unlocks.
Do we have any other evidence of this?

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Remember everyone... as awesome and accurate of a source as Zipzo is, it's going to take more than a days worth of Playing to know how each character truly stacks up. He has some fantastic and detailed first impressions, but that is all they are, first impressions. Don't count anyone out until we can REALLY dig into this game and know every in and out of all the characters.

Last edited:

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
I'll give updates from the E3 Build (which i played at PAX last week). These are obviously not the most recent build of the game, but I'll give updates for those curious in case a lot of these were the same

-ZSS seemed the best.
-SH aerials autocancel, and she has low landing lag in general
-Safe range
-Down throw combos to Uair or Fair which is amazing
-Uair combos to basically anything
-Bair is pretty strong
-Jumps and double jumps very high/very fast
-you can Air dodge into a Zair and have no landing lag (but the majority of characters, who do not have a Zair, have to suffer ~20? frames landing lag, making characters that can Zair really good since you can do it even the frame before you land if you want and be fine), down B is REALLY good evasively.
-Down B is really good evasively as it's hard to catch her. You can be shielding, then jump and down B and escape to a new position quickly. It's useful in almost any situation to get to a new position fast and safely.
-Up B OOS (out of shield) is very good if they are hitting your shield at close range and I got KOs at 90 with it.

-Bowser is good due to weight + power.
-never loses FFAs
-SH Fair/SH Bair both Autocancel. But you cannot double jump out of it
-Forward smash and Bair hit REALLY hard
-throws far
-very heavy
-koopa klaw is a very fast grab but not a ton of range
-up B OOS still works and is easy to hit with but does a lot less damage than before also, and you can't fall off platforms with it
-Down B hits twice (a 2nd hit upon landing) and can break shields if both hits hit

-Kirby feels good.
-Bair is good like usual
-Kirby's landing lag is small
-you cannot DI Dair it seems
-Dair combos to other moves
-Up tilts combo into itself easily at low %

-Pikachu's SH Nair and SH Fair both autocancel. Nair landing without autocancel is kind of laggy though.
-Uair does 5% and combos to Nair for 17% combo iirc. Good move.
-Neutral B does 6% and has low lag but low hitstun compared to previous games
-Thunder feels overall faster but less powerful as well
-Up smash to thunder still works
-Pikachu releases from the ledge [grab] faster than other characters by a lot it seems.

-Marth's can SH Fair to a Double Jump Fair before landing. Fair is laggier in the air and has a lot more landing lag, so you may not want to land with it as often as in Melee/Brawl unless you are confident it will hit. A good strategy with marth would be to run at someone then do a rising Fair in place since rising Fairs are still solid damage. You could also in theory just land without an aerial (if they're waiting for landing lag of a fair or landing lag from an air dodge) to mix good players up, since you'll land without lag that way.
-Marth's counter hits a lot harder now

-Mario's aerials have very tiny lag in all possible ways, and quick autocancels
-Mario's down smash is pretty weak

-DK's Cargo to Uair still seemed to work for me

-Sheik has low landing lag
-Sheik is weak and lacks range. I only played Sheik 1 FFA game though since the 3ds line was long.

-Greninja/Wii fit also felt weak but i only played them 1 game each and it was just FFAs

link/toon link/samus/zss can all Zair and have no [noticable] landing lag. The difference with Brawl Zairs is that Brawl landing lag was like 2-4 frames or so always but now if your character doesn't have a Zair the air dodge will just be a third of a second landing lag or so (approx guess. A lot of these are just approx guesses without any true testing).

-Dash Dance shield still works but not as well as it did in Brawl. Felt decent with ZSS/Pikachu at least.
-The first ledge grab has regular invinciblity (but you're stuck on the ledge for a third of a second before you can move it feels like) but the 2nd ledge grab has no invincibility (this may or may not have been changed? idk?)
-DI is in the game, but only like a third? as pronounced as it was before
-Smash DI seems to not be in the game

This is all my updates. It may not all be 100% true but that's the updates I told you guys I would give.

In semi-related news, I'm having 2 websites soon relating to smash 4 (neither are ready yet but will be in upcoming weeks and updated constantly). mew2king.com I will upload anything relating to me at (where I'm streaming, what stream(links to it every day), tournaments, blogs, guides, older archives, etc, random things), and I'm having another site for many other things which I won't name yet. I am hoping everyone will join my upcoming site. If you want these updates, follow my social media (in my signature below). I plan to do a LOT of work for Smash 4 for both myself and the community.
Awesome thanks for those updates :D

From your experience do newcomers tend to feel weak when you start playing them? I assume it's easier to get into characters like Zamus and Bowser because you're already knowledgeable about their tricks.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Being fair he was top tier in both Melee and Brawl.

So him being nerfed again isn't unreasonable.
True, but you don't have to take away pretty much all of his strengths.

Something similar to Jigglypuff, Ganondorf, and Captain Falcon from Melee to Brawl, and they all turned out horribly.

Then there's Kirby in Melee, which I still think Kirby hasn't recovered from.

It just seems like instead of taking the DOTA 2 "make the weaknesses greater to balance them" approach they went the LoL "NERF THEIR STRENGTHS INTO OBLIVION (and make them play essentially a different character)" route.

Last edited:

Noctes

Smash Cadet
I'll give updates from the E3 Build (which i played at PAX last week). These are obviously not the most recent build of the game, but I'll give updates for those curious in case a lot of these were the same

-ZSS seemed the best.
-Safe range
-Bair is pretty strong
-you can Air dodge into a Zair and have no landing lag (but the majority of characters, who do not have a Zair, have to suffer ~20? frames landing lag, making characters that can Zair really good since you can do it even the frame before you land if you want and be fine), down B is REALLY good evasively.
-Down B is really good evasively as it's hard to catch her. You can be shielding, then jump and down B and escape to a new position quickly. It's useful in almost any situation to get to a new position fast and safely.
-Up B OOS (out of shield) is very good if they are hitting your shield at close range and I got KOs at 90 with it.

-never loses FFAs
-throws far
-very heavy
-up B OOS still works and is easy to hit with but does a lot less damage than before also, and you can't fall off platforms with it
-Down B hits twice (a 2nd hit upon landing) and can break shields if both hits hit

-Kirby feels good.
-Bair is good like usual

-Pikachu's SH Nair and SH Fair both autocancel. Nair landing without autocancel is kind of laggy though.
-Pikachu releases from the ledge [grab] faster than other characters by a lot it seems.

-Marth's can SH Fair to a Double Jump Fair before landing. Fair is laggier in the air and has a lot more landing lag, so you may not want to land with it as often as in Melee/Brawl unless you are confident it will hit. A good strategy with marth would be to run at someone then do a rising Fair in place since rising Fairs are still solid damage. You could also in theory just land without an aerial (if they're waiting for landing lag of a fair or landing lag from an air dodge) to mix good players up, since you'll land without lag that way.

-Sheik is weak and lacks range. I only played Sheik 1 FFA game though since the 3ds line was long.

-Greninja/Wii fit also felt weak but i only played them 1 game each and it was just FFAs

link/toon link/samus/zss can all Zair and have no [noticable] landing lag. The difference with Brawl Zairs is that Brawl landing lag was like 2-4 frames or so always but now if your character doesn't have a Zair the air dodge will just be a third of a second landing lag or so (approx guess. A lot of these are just approx guesses without any true testing).

-Dash Dance shield still works but not as well as it did in Brawl. Felt decent with ZSS/Pikachu at least.
-The first ledge grab has regular invinciblity (but you're stuck on the ledge for a third of a second before you can move it feels like) but the 2nd ledge grab has no invincibility (this may or may not have been changed? idk?)

This is all my updates. It may not all be 100% true but that's the updates I told you guys I would give.

In semi-related news, I'm having 2 websites soon relating to smash 4 (neither are ready yet but will be in upcoming weeks and updated constantly). mew2king.com I will upload anything relating to me at (where I'm streaming, what stream(links to it every day), tournaments, blogs, guides, older archives, etc, random things), and I'm having another site for many other things which I won't name yet. I am hoping everyone will join my upcoming site. If you want these updates, follow my social media (in my signature below). I plan to do a LOT of work for Smash 4 for both myself and the community.
This is good and appreciated information and all, but is this really the thread to post this? After all, this is a thread about the Japanese 3DS event thing build, and you're posting info from the PAX(E3) build..

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
A wild Mew2King appeared...

Anyways, there are most likely still a lot of alt colors not listed. I don't think anyone had mentioned if they even saw Link's SS alt. And by my count there's still one zamus color missing.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Marth was a high-skill character with a simple design focus. It meant he had a lot of depth but was also easy to get/understand his moveset and how he works.

The comparative changes he had from Melee to Brawl were mostly positive. His moveset was more well rounded (all of his specials were buffed bar shieldbreaker, but it was given a new niche), he could kill with aerials like other characters could in Melee and didn't have as much killing issues outside of early percent gimps. His range was nerfed for sure and tippers were cut down, but the changes to the way air-games worked buffed the ability to space/tipper his aerials in interesting/dynamic ways in Brawl. He had less range than every other top tier; only disjoints - sadly less range and less disjoints than Meta Knight (which makes no sense) and relied on the fact that aerials don't clash to be able to have a dominant zoning ability. He was outdisjointed horizontally by most top tiers on sensible moves and was less range than most middle tiers as well. His match up spread was mostly even because of this, his risk/reward were stable, but the lack of "broken" reward options meant he could easily fall behind in matches against other top tiers (or other characters in general), but that shortfall was more than worth it for Marth players to work around, we loved him.

In a game which aerials will clash with each other and likely other ground moves will probably hurt him a lot. He has less range and although to be seen, possibly less disjoints/angles as well. He no longer seems to have any low commitment options at all, with down tilt even shorter, dancing blade being extremely laggy without full execution, and his main reactive zoning tool (fair) having abnormal lag and shorter range to boot (just one would've been an adjustable nerf for our players, but both is gutting). If other character's "abilities" aren't pulled back on a whole a lot more (why would this be the case, we see ZSS with range buffs...) then Marth is going to be average in a lot of ways without anything overtly special to work with (that also existed/worked similar in previous games).

There's been hints sword length will be different between Lucina/Marth, and if Lucina has more due to not having tippers it's going to be blatantly obvious she'll be a much better competitive option. MK had more range/disjoint than Marth on literally every move, if he has not had significant adjustments as well to correlate (he should never have had longer range in my opinion) it'll make the gap between the two otherwise very similar characters (but with vastly different playstyles) even larger than before... do not want.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

-ZSS seemed the best.
-Safe range
-Bair is pretty strong

-never loses FFAs
-throws far
-very heavy

-Kirby feels good.
-Bair is good like usual

Um... Mew2king...

Why are you posting this stuff here?

This isn't the place for that event.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
This is good and appreciated information and all, but is this really the thread to post this? After all, this is a thread about the Japanese 3DS event thing build, and you're posting info from the PAX(E3) build..
It's still relevant, nonetheless. You could compare the previous build to the newest one now. I agree though, it suited to be posted somewhere else.

Last edited:

RIDLEY is too SMALL

Smash Journeyman
True, but you don't have to take away pretty much all of his strengths.

Something similar to Jigglypuff, Ganondorf, and Captain Falcon from Melee to Brawl, and they all turned out horribly.

Then there's Kirby in Melee, which I still think Kirby hasn't recovered from.

It just seems like instead of taking the DOTA 2 "make the weaknesses greater to balance them" approach they went the LoL "NERF THEM INTO OBLIVION" route.
Yeah, like, Marth is literally about his range and his tippers. That's the entire design around his character. Nerfing the hell out of that is like making Captain Falcon slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom