• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS 3DS College Dorm Wifi

WiiDude83

Smash Cadet
NNID
WiiDude83
So, I recently moved into my college dorm and smash 4 is right around the corner and of course, i want to be able to play with from friends over wifi who are back home...however...our school has one of those "web page login in" kinds of wifi, and i can't seem to get my 3DS to work on it....can anyone help me out?

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
you cant jump on to anyother peoples wi-fi or your own router? idk much bout internet things

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
So, I recently moved into my college dorm and smash 4 is right around the corner and of course, i want to be able to play with from friends over wifi who are back home...however...our school has one of those "web page login in" kinds of wifi, and i can't seem to get my 3DS to work on it....can anyone help me out?
start up the web browser, if it has a login page login and you should be good.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
for some reason, no webpage wants to load up at all...
is your 3ds connected to the internet there? Like, you have it saved as one of your wireless spots right?

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I don't know if your college's internet is anything like mine, but I'll explain how I did it to make mine work.

First off, you need to go to the 3DS System settings and set up the internet to be connected to your college's wifi. Once you've done that you need to go to the internet browser, it will take you to the college's webpage to register your device.

There are two options, register as a gaming device and register as a computer.

If you choose gaming device, you will find that the 3DS is NOT listed there, meaning you have to go back and register it as a Computer, even when its not. This might be different for you but im just saying how it worked for me. Then just follow whatever else it says from that point and you should be able to get it working.

Hope this helped!

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
right now no webpage seems to load up at all.....help please?
Do you have a laptop or computer with built-in WIFI capabilites?

If so, I have a program you can use that will allow you to connect your 3DS to the internet THROUGH your laptop's wifi. This will let you bypass having to do the college's login splash page.

I can verify this program works because I have used it for exactly this reason to allow me to use 3DS at a public library.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I'm in a college. You have to use Connectify, a free program to share wifi from your computer. It's literally the only way.

Unless you have a Mac. Then you can use standard internet sharing.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
While we're on the topic of Connectify; I use a "ad-hoc" network (my 3DS doesn't work on it) does Connectfy support "infrastructure" which does work?

When I do that my laptop deconnects from my phone hotspot and doesn't give off any WiFi.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
While we're on the topic of Connectify; I use a "ad-hoc" network (my 3DS doesn't work on it) does Connectfy support "infrastructure" which does work?

When I do that my laptop deconnects from my phone hotspot and doesn't give off any WiFi.
I have no idea what you're talking about, but if takes all of 2 minutes to download the free version of the program and test it out.

Sorry for being brusque, but there's no need for too much of a conversation here. Just test it.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859

I know exactly what you're talking about, I searched through the same stuff when my ad-hoc network didn't work. XDaDePsak is right though, it's real quick and easy to download, and free, and it works. I never figured out what that infrastructure I read about was, but Connectify must support it.

Raijinken

Smash Master
At my university, I had to go onto a specific site within their systems and register my DS and Wii's MAC address. You may have to do a similar thing wherever you are.

My desktop doesn't have a wifi card (Wifi sucks >.<) and my laptop is on its death bed, so I have to connect the standard way.

Check with your IT office and find out if there is any way to register devices like that.

Last edited:

WiiDude83

Smash Cadet
NNID
WiiDude83
So far it seems to be working! Now.....you sure this thing is safe? because my anti-virus software was have a little fit with me installing it

BagelTheBagel

Smash Rookie
NNID
BagelTheBagel
It should be fine, the antivirus probably didn't like that it installs a new driver.

My friend showed me another program called Virtual Router (I can't post links here yet, but it's the first result on Google). There's no trial or time limit, and it's a lot cleaner. You could try this one.

Last edited:

WiiDude83

Smash Cadet
NNID
WiiDude83
It should be fine, the antivirus probably didn't like that it installs a new driver.

My friend showed me another program called Virtual Router (I can't post links here yet, but it's the first result on Google). There's no trial or time limit, and it's a lot cleaner. You could try this one.
i tried that one....the signal is very unstable...i could barley go through 1/2 a round of mario kart or kid icarus....

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I've actually had some weird issues where it sometimes causes my computer to crash, but I'm the only one I know who it happens to (A few of my friends use this on campus too and none of them have any problems)

It might be because I'm using a ****ty 10$ wireless card but idk.

WiiDude83

Smash Cadet
NNID
WiiDude83
I've actually had some weird issues where it sometimes causes my computer to crash, but I'm the only one I know who it happens to (A few of my friends use this on campus too and none of them have any problems)

It might be because I'm using a ****ty 10$ wireless card but idk.
I'm just using my wireless on my computer so i think i should be good

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
At my university, I had to go onto a specific site within their systems and register my DS and Wii's MAC address. You may have to do a similar thing wherever you are.

My desktop doesn't have a wifi card (Wifi sucks >.<) and my laptop is on its death bed, so I have to connect the standard way.

Check with your IT office and find out if there is any way to register devices like that.
This is exactly what I had to do with my university. Once you figure out how to do it the "legitimate" way like you would your laptop or phone, it's pretty solid and easy. I had my XL connected to it, returned to campus this September, changed the Mac Address from my XL to my Japanese 3DS on the website, and the internet works pretty well.

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
Do what someone at my school did: hack the internet for your own personal use, knocking it out for everyone else. It's Smash, so it's probably worth getting kicked out of school, but you know...

I never understood why that guy was going to school for music when he had obvious talents in other areas.

Top Bottom