• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Request 367º auto-link angle

Stormghetti

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
STRM#798
NNID
Stormghetti
In Smash 4, the 366 degrees auto-link angle was first introduced and it has become a staple in Smash balance ever since when it comes to multi-hit moves. Here's a description of the angle taken straight from the Smash Wiki:

"The 367° angle was introduced in Smash 4, and is present in a majority of playable characters' aerial multi-hit moves, being by far the most common autolink angle in Smash 4 and Ultimate. This angle's function is much more sophisticated than its predecessors', as the direction the opponent is sent in is determined by both the direction the attacker is moving in, and the position of the opponent relative to the hitbox; for example, if they are in the upper end of the hitbox, and the attacker is not moving, they will be sent down and towards the center of the hitbox. This is achieved by setting the opponent's launch speed to the attacker momentum, minus 20% of the difference between the hitbox and opponent's positional coordinates, so like the 365° angle, it allows multiple hits to link properly even if they do not have set knockback. Additionally, this is calculated after hitlag is over. Combined with the weakening of SDI from Smash 4 onward, these factors make autolink moves with the 366° angle impossible to escape under most circumstances.

However, this angle still has some restrictions that, albeit avoidable, may prevent moves from connecting all hits:
  • When hitting an opponent on the ground, it always uses an angle of 80° and does not modify launch speed. While not problematic for autolink hits that deal relatively low knockback, others will usually fail to connect when hitting grounded opponents unless the attacker is moving upwards at a close speed to the knockback caused, especially at higher percents if they do not have set knockback. Examples of moves with this problem are Luigi's grounded Luigi Cyclone, which will pop opponents up and away from the rest of the move, and Greninja's up smash, which fails to connect the second hit against most characters on platforms.
  • 5 frames after the opponent is launched, their launch speed is capped at 3, equivalent to 100 units of knockback, preventing opponents from moving too fast when hit by an autolink move. However, this only matters when speed equipment is used to boost mobility significantly, as no character in the game can normally surpass this speed while using autolink moves.
  • In Ultimate, the changes to knockback also affect autolink angles for moves that don't use set knockback, which can result in misfires similar to those of the 366° autolink angle.
  • Since update 1.0.4 in Smash 4, and in Ultimate, vertical launch speed has a lower cap of -1, equivalent to roughly 33.4 units of knockback fully downwards, so it cannot be below this value. This prevents a large part of autolink moves from dragging the opponent down too fast and thus turning into abnormally powerful meteor smashes; only those that inflict high enough hitstun to still have the opponent fall a considerable distance within the capped launch speed can achieve this effect. As an adverse effect for the attacker, however, it also prevents the hits from linking reliably if they are moving downwards too fast, be it through fast falling or even some characters' regular maximum falling speeds."

-Smash Wiki; "Autolink angle".

A similar code was made for the 363º angle by rmn rmn , but after finding out about the 367º angle, I've decided this is a much better version of it and much more viable for Melee. It's a lot of information to taken in, but I want someone to try their hand at this if possible. Maybe you could help, Punkline Punkline .

By the way, I'm still wondering if you've been working on that Jab Lock code. Hopefully I'm not smothering you with this many time consuming code requests.

Punkline

Dr. Frankenstack
Premium
I appreciate the extra information when looking over requests, especially regarding the newer smash games I don’t currently have access to for testing.
I have a few more questions in that regard:

- Does the link knockback completely override the normal hitbox knockback?
- And only if the attacker is in the air? Or is it the defender that needs to be in the air?

- Is the following summary of the aerial link effect suitable for implementation in Melee? (assuming all the values are customizable)
  • after hitlag, overwrite velocity with (100% of attacker’s movement velocity) + (20% of distance between attacker and defender)
  • cap negative Y velocity at -33.3 to prevent unnaturally strong meteors
  • cap directional velocity at 100 after 5 frames of launching
- If on the ground, the knockback angle is always 80 degrees -- but does it use regular knockback values given to the hitbox like normal in this case?

This sounds like a useful hitbox behavior. I have a few projects keeping me busy right now, but I’ll look into this over the next week or so and see if I can make a useful concept. I’m thinking that it would be nice to have a code that allows for the installation of plugin behaviors for angle keys like this. That way, a 367 angle could be added as a plugin alongside other new hitbox angles like 366, 368, or even custom behaviors not in other smash games.

---

By the way, I'm still wondering if you've been working on that Jab Lock code. Hopefully I'm not smothering you with this many time consuming code requests.
Thanks for the reminder. I was planning to implement something that would give me a lot of extra control over action state transitions, however I got sidetracked while designing it around the holidays. The last concept I made was testing a few unrelated ideas, but the jab reset/lock mechanic seemed to work from my brief testing. Did you get a chance to test it?

I’ll tag you when I update my Jab Reset Config code with these new mechanics. I think it will be possible to add basic tweaks to the action state transitions without implementing the big module I had in mind. I'll try adding some basic things like frame speed control to the features, and see where it goes from there.

Last edited:

Stormghetti

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
STRM#798
NNID
Stormghetti
- Does the link knockback completely override the normal hitbox knockback?
Not completely, I believe. It's supposed to add to the hitbox's knockback settings.

- And only if the attacker is in the air? Or is it the defender that needs to be in the air?
Yes, I believe the attacker needs to be in the air because this auto-link angle was made for aerials, but I could be wrong and some grounded attacks might have it in Ultimate.

- Is the following summary of the aerial link effect suitable for implementation in Melee? (assuming all the values are customizable)
  • after hitlag, overwrite velocity with (100% of attacker’s movement velocity) + (20% of distance between attacker and defender)
  • cap negative Y velocity at -33.3 to prevent unnaturally strong meteors
  • cap directional velocity at 100 after 5 frames of launching
I believe these are right, but it's difficult for me to envision these changes, especially when knockback settings matter so much in this case.

- If on the ground, the knockback angle is always 80 degrees -- but does it use regular knockback values given to the hitbox like normal in this case?
I believe so. This rule exists so multi-attacks attacks with low knockback keep the opponent within the range of the hitboxes while still being able to launch them from the ground with a high knockback angle. Perhaps more knockback is added when this happens, but I wouldn't know, and I'd assume that would be stated in the description from the Smash Wiki by now if that were the case.

This sounds like a useful hitbox behavior. I have a few projects keeping me busy right now, but I’ll look into this over the next week or so and see if I can make a useful concept. I’m thinking that it would be nice to have a code that allows for the installation of plugin behaviors for angle keys like this. That way, a 367 angle could be added as a plugin alongside other new hitbox angles like 366, 368, or even custom behaviors not in other smash games.
Ah, I assumed right, then. For sure. I was planning on seeing other angles come into existence, but I figured the 367º angle was too much of a request already.

Thanks for the reminder. I was planning to implement something that would give me a lot of extra control over action state transitions, however I got sidetracked while designing it around the holidays. The last concept I made was testing a few unrelated ideas, but the jab reset/lock mechanic seemed to work from my brief testing. Did you get a chance to test it?

I’ll tag you when I update my Jab Reset Config code with these new mechanics. I think it will be possible to add basic tweaks to the action state transitions without implementing the big module I had in mind. I'll try adding some basic things like frame speed control to the features, and see where it goes from there.
Oh! Right, I did test your last concept for the code a while ago and recently as well, and now I feel dumb for not replying to that thread. It worked great for what it was. It's just that some punishes out of Jab Locks would sometimes be negated by invincibility frames (must be because some punishes seem to take 'too long' for the missed tech animations) or inopportune missed tech bounce animations that made some of my attacks' hitboxes just miss the opponent's hurtboxes.

I have some other code requests ready, but one thing at a time.

I'll be eagerly waiting for more updates on both codes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom