• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

300% Challenge

OmegaZeroX

Smash Cadet
This has probably been done before, not sure, but I'd like to see if anyone is willing to do a 300% challenge purely out of boredom. Here's what the rules are:

-1 Stock
YOU at 300% damage
1-Stock
Opponent at 0%
-Defeat Opponent without getting killed.
-Any BRAWL stage Only allowed.

Video proof is a plus. If you did record what you did then by all means feel free to show. (or not)

Good Luck!

My Vid:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgmZ4ZYQXBc

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I have a better idea for practice purposes. 20 stocks. You at 300% opponent at 0%.

Try to beat him losing as little stocks as possible. This will help you get better at spacing and safe playing in general if you aren't very experienced in it.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
LzR took the cake. I actually did this often when I first started Samus. It helps you practice spacing, and show how vital getting hit can be, which makes you play faster and less likely to fall victim to combo-starters or KO moves. This is very effective when you're trying to learn someone who needs to maintain an onstage placing.(I.e: Ganondorf, due to poor recovery.) It's also good on defensive practices.

OmegaZeroX

Smash Cadet
Sure I'll try that. Can you guys keep coming up with ideas? Sorry for asking. If you guys don't feel like doing that it's cool. It's sorta my thing, I kinda like different challenges and it would help greatly. Thanks In Advance!

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
LzR's idea, but with a bit more physical variation. Try playing with the BG music set to off so you can hear incoming attacks more clearly. Also, I recommened some variation towards which character you're using. For example, when you're taking the 300% Challenge and you're playing a high tier character, they should also play high tier, but with a minor handicap boost. Likewise, if they're low tier, they get a higher handicap boost. If recovery prowess play a role in the game, then you might want to also increase the sizing of the stage.
Seeing how any stage is legible for this timing and prediction type challenge, it can also be used to time techs on stages such as (the more famous for teching practice) Hyrule Temple, Green Greens, and some of the stage alternations on PS1.

Shy Guy!

Smash Journeyman
I have a better idea for practice purposes. 20 stocks. You at 300% opponent at 0%.

Try to beat him losing as little stocks as possible. This will help you get better at spacing and safe playing in general if you aren't very experienced in it.
I like this idea alot, for newcommers or anyone I like it:awesome:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Yeah it's awesome :awesome:

For starters you should take a MU where you ridiculously outspace someone.
Like Puff or Luigi and then if you space correctly they won't hit you.
And if you want challenge, put the CPU level 7 at MAXIMUM.
Anything above is gay and won't help at all.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
This.^

Lvl. 9s powershield and read inputs with ease, and are able to pull some inhumane punishers. I reccomened using nothing higher than 7, as LzR stated, they're much better to train with since we aren't looking to get punished after every attempt at spacing practices. Lvl. 9 Luigi is also way too good.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
-.- You can't be serious... If you're too aggressive of course they'll powershield. It tells you you are doing something wrong =V They're not that smart. Yeah, they do some inhuman stuff but that's just things you have to deal with. You'd be surprised of some really talented human players out there that do things that would make you think only a cpu would be capable of.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
You're trying to make us notice the wrong aspect; we're not trying to play against a CPU that can read and punish everything with surefire precision, so much as we are looking to better our frame timing, reaction speed, and other key aspects to faster, more precise gamestyle.
I'm not saying the CPU leve is remotely undesired in the challenge, but it does ruin the meaning of the challenge quite a lot. If you have a human to play with (Offline), by all means, let them be your training partner. It's not really about dealing with every thing your opponent throws at you, it's about steering clear of the moves and getting out of there if you can.
Nobody said that CPUs are that smart. To my understanding, it's actually a little frustrating when you see opinions on whether the AI has a sophisticated memory or not. Nonetheless, humans have understanding of some things CPUs don't (ATs, MUs, GR follow ups), so we're smarter than them severely in that. CPUs have understanding through preset information, frame time, and many other intellectual mechanics.
Do what you want with any level you desire, but don't expect to get the same results for each.

malick11

Smash Rookie
I would think that level nines would be the best to train with because they are better at dodging/blocking and they also attack so much quicker
Also what does mu mean? (sorry I'm a bit of a noob)

-LzR-

Smash Hero
They dodge everything you throw at them, they dodge stuff what people can't and get ***** by what people won't get hit by.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
They dodge everything you throw at them, they dodge stuff what people can't and get ***** by what people won't get hit by.
This..fighting lvl 9's only hurts your playstyle because they fall for things humans don't and they counter things humans can't.
Plus they always DI the same way, while lower levels don't IIRC.
Lower levels allow you to practice your spacing and attack strings without getting power shielded all the time.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Oh and I think level 7 or above ALWAYS airdodge after everything. Making them easy to combo and so on, it's really sad.

malick11

Smash Rookie
actually that makes sense now because when i play with ness level 9's they always get hit by my pikay thunders (when i zap myself) thanks for clearing that up for me

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Actually, CPUs take hits from non-projectile spacing attacks, like Zair. Seeing how they're incapable of learning from their mistakes, they can take multiple hits from Zair, and still be unphased in their tactic.

@Ghostbone: It's possible to perform what a CPU can, it's just near impossible to replicate by humans. Likewise, CPUs lack knowledge of ATs and everything explained in my last post. I think there's hacks or something that make the CPUs more human-like, but nonetheless, a human player is always the best choice.

malick11

Smash Rookie
I had another idea for training
If u battle 2 or 3 CPUs on one team at the same time wood that be good to practice dodging or not

TheOgbot

Smash Journeyman
You know what's fun? Trying to beat 3 lvl 9 Meta Knights on a team with team attack on.

Neutral stages only

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Not as extreme as it may sound. It's as simple as luring the MK offstage (god knows he's going to attempt to edgeguard), and turning the tables on them with a character that has insane edgeguarding prowess.

Judo777

Smash Master
Lvl 9s are easy. I 3 stock lvl 9s without getting hit all the time. I have also 20 stocked lvl 9s before they are so repetitive in their recovery you can gimp them at like 14% every stock.

OmegaZeroX

Smash Cadet
Well, the idea was thought out purely out of boredom, I didn't intend to actually make it a training method,(although it's a great idea.)

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Here's a better idea.

Set the handicap to 100% and play against a human. This way, you don't practice against not getting hit period, but rather training yourself to knowing how to only get hit by the moves that won't kill you, etc.

It's much more realistic and will give much better results in the long run.

OmegaZeroX

Smash Cadet
The Official Challenge was supposed to be, surviving a match (or matches I guess) with 300% on you, and 0% on the CPU. But I guess people found other ways of Brawling, while getting the best out of their work. This was just a thought purely out of boredom Lmao. ^^

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Are you intent on following through with this idea? Both yours and Kitamerby's sound like efficient training sessions, although I'm a bit hesitant to ask what you're trying to accomplish with the replies.
The suggestions are great nonetheless.

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
LzR took the cake. I actually did this often when I first started Samus. It helps you practice spacing, and show how vital getting hit can be, which makes you play faster and less likely to fall victim to combo-starters or KO moves. This is very effective when you're trying to learn someone who needs to maintain an onstage placing.(I.e: Ganondorf, due to poor recovery.) It's also good on defensive practices.
something is wrong on that sentence. Brawl HAVE combos???

OmegaZeroX

Smash Cadet
Are you intent on following through with this idea? Both yours and Kitamerby's sound like efficient training sessions, although I'm a bit hesitant to ask what you're trying to accomplish with the replies.
The suggestions are great nonetheless.
Im not planning on accomplishing anything. As I stated earlier, this is all done purely out of boredom,nothing else. But, I do believe that I should make it a training session, it would help alot in the battlefield.

Scufo

Smash Apprentice
IMO, any "challenge" against CPUs should be purely for fun. For training purposes, it's basically never a good idea to fight CPUs because they don't act at all like humans do.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Yes but that doesn't mean you can't space. Like correct spacing is like you never get hit by the CPU as they can't read you.

Top Bottom