• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3 frame SHs are the bane of my existence

JacK from Canada

Smash Rookie
I think Fox, Sheik and Samus have awesomely cool playstyles, but my stupid hands are unable to shorthop with them :(

Like I've been playing for almost 2 years competitively, but there's problems

1. Had a long hiatus: Bad stuff happened in my personal life and couldn't play for months
so I'm rusty (like can only sometimes WD, now I roll instead 30% of time)

2. HANDS: My hands will not allow me to SH consistently with characters whos jump squats are 3 frames, like I can 100% SH with any other characters (ex. Marth with his 4f JS) but not 3f-ers for some reason I can only get a shorthop 40% of the time with them since I've come back. And when I try to practice my hands tense up when I try to release the X button fast and after awhile of practice it leads to discomfort.

IDK might as well give up:crying:

What do???

Last edited:

Bones0

Smash Legend
I think Fox, Sheik and Samus have awesomely cool playstyles, but my stupid hands are unable to shorthop with them :(

Like I've been playing for almost 2 years competitively, but there's problems

1. Had a long hiatus: Bad stuff happened in my personal life and couldn't play for months
so I'm rusty (like can only sometimes WD, now I roll instead 30% of time)

2. HANDS: My hands will not allow me to SH consistently with characters whos jump squats are 3 frames, like I can 100% SH with any other characters (ex. Marth with his 4f JS) but not 3f-ers for some reason I can only get a shorthop 40% of the time with them since I've come back. And when I try to practice my hands tense up when I try to release the X button fast and after awhile of practice it leads to discomfort.

IDK might as well give up:crying:

What do???
If your muscles are tensing up then it's not that surprising you are unable to release the button faster. Focus on staying relaxed when you practice.

Pauer

The Pauerful
Ok so then how should I go about doing it?
You start off by pressing the button as relaxed as you can:
Keep your thumb on the button and sneeze squeeze, don't lift your finger. Then release. Try to use as little force as possible and get a feel for just how few muscles you have to move in order to press down the button.

After you get a bit of a feel for things, try to release the button faster but stop and slow down once you notice yourself tensing up.
Additionally, you need to practice to always lay your finger on top of the jump button before pressing it when you switch from one button to the other.

All of this will take time. Practice every day and try to focus on your relaxed hand for the next few weeks while practicing with people. Playing against easy opponents might help.

Last edited:

Pauer

The Pauerful
what do you mean by sneeze?
Sorry, i meant to write squeeze. I'll edit that.

Also moving from one to the other, any examples
Do an f-tilt, then jump. You'll have your thumb on the A button and you need to move to x/y to jump. It's natural to lift your finger high after pressing A and then slamming x/y. Instead, place your finger on top of x/y first and then press down.

Chiripp

Smash Rookie
The most consiscons way i know to sh is by hitting the edge of the x button with the tip of your thumb and then quickly slide of it, by using this method you can easily sh with just one simple motion.

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
You can consistently short hop with practice and time. There's thread like this all the time but the answer is just time and practice.

Top Bottom