• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3.6 Link Is Boring.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
When 3.5 came out and I was forced to transition from having an amazing character to one that was normal, I grew very resentful of Link and his inability to perform as he had prior. I thought the character overall felt 30% worse than before and dropped him for a few weeks because of how impotent he felt.

As 3.5 went on, however, I learned how to take Link's more normalized tool kit and work with it and as a result I became a better player. I started crafting the nuances of a punishment game that I had never before attempted to refine in 3.02, and by the end of 3.5 I really enjoyed Link.

So then I'll get this out of the way, I think 3.6 Link is probably a fair amount better than 3.5 Link. Perhaps a high mid tier. But due to the fact that the punishment game I had started refining in 3.5 was torn apart, I'm left with the opinion that he's a very uninteresting and anemic-feeling character and the only reason I think he's solid tier-wise is because of the relatively low power level of the cast at large. But that's another debate.

The biggest reason why I think this character is bland is because his conversions all feel fake. They generally amount to 2-3 hits into position and anything beyond that is always due to the opponent choosing a garbage defensive option. The single conversion that he retains that's somewhat real is his Uair strings, and for a punishment game that's a tad bit 1-dimensional. His punishment game oftentimes feels like it often only goes as far as encouraging my opponents to run into attacks that they shouldn't be getting hit by, which is incredibly weak-feeling.

This is due to 2 of the nerfs he received.

First, boomerang. It lost a mere 4 frames of startup and has 4 added frames of animation as a result. This makes the move a much larger commitment, but also succeeds in making Link less boomerang-centric. The move itself just feels relatively underwhelming as a zoning/stage control tool, and somehow less powerful as a conversion tool as well. The argument has been made a while ago by another Link player, Beorn I think it was, that boomerang needed to be reverted to Melee startup because its 3.5 incarnation left him centralized around it and it was unfun to play against. To this I'd say, there are tons of characters that rely heavily upon a limited set of moves, and I don't think Boomerang was a huge offender in that regard. It's completely reliant on how the player utilizes his tool kit. Boomerang isn't always the correct option. Also, saying something is unfun to play against may be somewhat valid in regards to game design, but in the case of Boomerang I would argue that it's completely a matter of opinion how fun or unfun it was to play against. Need I remind people that this is also Smash. I find a large portion of the cast unfun to play against. This doesn't mean I'm going to gut their core design to suit my own whimsy. I accept them as they are and play the matchup to the best of my ability. I think Link was fine as a zoning projectile character. This has been his design for a long time, and attempting to make that style of gameplay no longer work so late in this project's development feels like it was done of the whims of some outside party who doesn't even play the character and is overall just jarring to me.

Last but not least, the changes to Usmash are far and away the biggest reason this character feels terrible to play in my opinion. This goes back to the whole SDI modifier debate. SDI it seems is seen by a lot of people as the pinnacle of defensive interaction or something, but I'll argue that this is not the case. In instances of grounded stationary moves, SDI does indeed amount to counterplay, but it is not interactive counterplay.

As a Link player, if I use Usmash and my opponent decides to hold a direction to fall out of it, what options are left to me to prevent this? None. You can argue that I just need to place the attack so they're deep inside the hitbox, but I've posted numerous videos before of people SDI'ing from one side of the attack and out the other. This is completely unacceptable game design and ultimately renders the move absolutely useless at mid-high levels of play since it will effectively get Link punished for even attempting to use it. Thoughts of a few of Melee Zelda's attacks come to mind in this instance. The SDI modifiers in 3.5 were x.5 if I'm not mistaken, and I would argue that this is much more interactive design. This means that if Link places the move correctly, it's less likely to fail, but it also gives the opponent wiggle room to punish Link for having poor spacing. This leaves the success of the attack mostly up to how Link uses it and not up to how hard the opponent wants to drop kick their control stick while still leaving opportunities for the opponent to have defensive input.

There's also other counterplay to this move that existed even in 3.02. You can crouch cancel the first 2 hits ad infinitum. You can almost always shield grab it unless your grab range is terrible and it's perfectly spaced. I can only recall 1 instance where this has happened however. You can SDI the first 2 hits down then shield the last hit. You can even grab him in-between the swings. There's no shortage of counterplay to this move to justify its 3.6 iteration.

My assumption from the changes in post-beta is that the intent is to change the angles on Usmash so it works more effectively, akin to Zelda's current Usmash and Nair. I honestly don't understand why we need to mindlessly stick to baseless arbitrary ideals like the anti-SDI mod crusade instead of just sticking with versions of these attacks that worked perfectly fine. In the end if we assume changing the angles gets the move to work just as effectively as before, what was the point of even changing it? You've essentially done a 360 spin and wasted a ton of effort over-engineering a move that was already fine. The phrase "If it isn't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind. You're simply running the risk of ending with a much more ****ed up product than what you began with.

I've honestly all but dropped this character for now. I've relegated him to the top shelf to collect dust and only play him when I'm feeling masochistic or nostalgic. I feel like my time is much more easily enjoyed playing a character that feels good to use such as Marth or Sheik or some other nonsense. The fact that I feel no enjoyment from the character I've been playing for over half of my life is disgusting to me. But I guess that's how it goes. I've let my grievances be known at the very least.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

i think it would be wise to tag @Shadic for this discussion. as per the dev team public relations policy, i am open to generalization, speculation, and high level player input without any kind of specificity with regards to DT functions.

you've hit on a trend with the game that the dev team is aware of, which is that "the game isn't fun anymore" to a chunk of the player base. there's a few problems with this assertion however. the first is that we don't know how big that chunk is or if players are walking away from the game because of it, versus the number of players that are walking away from repeated changes, versus the number that are walking away for smash 4, versus the number walking away for school and family stuff around the holidays, versus the number coming IN at the same time. addressing what "fun" means is super nebulous. while you might think link no longer fits his ethos of projectile control, the next person might think link is simply underpowered in the face of faster opponents, and the next person after that might be happy because he plays peach and is tired of being bullied by 3.0 and 3.5 boomerang. fun to most link players means having your grab fixed because link has particularly useful throws. it's just different for each person.

balancing PM in older versions was easy, because refinements to characters were generally based on clear outliers that were universally considered problematic. you can see this because old versions of lucario ike sonic etc were hilarious but clearly needed to be addressed. since 3.5, this has not been so easy- the point of 3.5 was basically to remove whatever people considered #PMjank, which was beautifully successful. a lot of people -still- consider the nerfs going into 3.5 to have been too harsh over a year later (and i agree with them in the long run but disagree in the short term). the nerfs going into 3.5 needed to happen like a big dump after a bad run at taco bell. however, it was my personal speculation prior to joining the DT that the cast would be nerfed, observed, and buffed up from there after having collected or observed the game for ~6 months. link was like this actually, link was considered pretty suck-tastic in 3.5 and was buffed in notable ways to cover his issues. however, 3.6 appears to have had no uniform goal backing my speculation to buffing characters backed up, and instead carried changes that were in some cases another round of nerfs, and in other cases simply....different, but not really better per se. now we're at a point where the cast feels underwhelming in a lot of ways, but some characters are fine, and it's probably balanced about right, but is decidedly too bland.

this is where it gets hard, because you want to keep the balance of the game which is good, while still making it fun, and any changes you make to improve one have the very real chance to damage the other. let's say "we want link to feel good" and buff boomerang, if he can bully the peach player with it, the game is less balanced for it. but there's only so much we can do with peach to make her fold less to boomerang abuse without upsetting her balance as well. you get this weird effect where you can have MU triangles like Tink > DK > Marth > Tink, but now people think DK sucks but Marth and Tink are good. how do you buff DK to make him better vs Tink without also making him beat Marth harder? even if you do it correctly and the game is more balanced for it, does that make it more fun for the players? these are not easy questions to answer. we have 41 characters to answer to, and many, many ways to potentially change them.

my current stance is that making the game fun means addressing changes that make the game FEEL better without actually changing how the game sits right now. this means doing minor surgical style buffs that make the players enjoy the character more without actually making them better, generally by lowering lowering IASA or AC windows, fine tuning SDI modifiers, lowering startup, lowering endlag, adjusting traction values, adding 1% damage or shaving a frame here and there and normalizing extreme attributes, particularly weight and run speed. but i also acknowledge that any changes have the potential for damage with regards to how we address the public. every change can cause damage. fixing link's upsmash has the potential for damage. a lot of people loathe GAW, but nerfing GAW has the potential for damage. our shaky player base isn't sitting around like "YES GAW IS NERFED IM COMING BACK" so much as "oh GAW got nerfed by my character is still boring". every patch that comes out, people naturally move towards the characters that are the most fun, which are also typically the ones that are the most potent. as of 3.5, theres were a ton of Roy and Lucario players. in 3.6, that means a lot more ZSS and MK players. this tells us that our players want more powerful characters. to me, that also involves possibly reverting a good number of things to 3.5, which Lunchables has argued with me about at length. but again, this is just my personal stance as one player, and doesn't reflect on the Dev Team as a whole.

the take-away here is that this is not really a question about Link, so much as a question about the game. there are many questions about the game and it's competitive direction. the bowser players want to know if we can make every character solo-mainable. the zelda players want to know if they can remake their character to fit the defensive play she encouraged in 3.02. the GAW players want to know if their character will be nerfed after winning paragon. a lot of us simply want to know if our characters will be finalized so we can sit down and really practice our skills knowing that it will be time well-spent 6 months from now. our game is an open project, and until it is finalized is going to be an open discussion as well.

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
I totally feel you all when it comes to a matter of the game/characters being less fun. It's also why I posted the changes for Ike in the Ike Changes thread. I highly recommend taking some initiative and do what we did, provide a change-list with reasons to why this would improve the Link experience, maybe even get a public test build so people can check with their own hands what you're trying to tell them.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
walking away for smash 4
I didn't think people even *played* Brawl anymore. The more you know I guess.

I think it all comes down to identifying the culprit. In the instance of Link's boomerang, there were very few outliers where it was literally degenerate to gameplay, if at all. And in those instances, one can reasonably assume that boomerang is not the problem, it's the characters losing to it that are underpowered or the tool just interacts weirdly with their character ie. they're just not properly equipped to deal with it. No matter how much thought and consideration is put into balancing this game, in the end it's still Smash, a game of such diverse and intricate interactions that you could never get rid of all of the fringe disadvantaged Matchups. A losing matchup doesn't always have to amount to degeneracy. I don't think Peach loses that hard to Link. It may be hard for her to deal with boomerang, but it is not so omnipotent a fruit-slayer that it's impossible. And I would leave it up to the players to decide how to negotiate hard matchups instead of nerfing them down in their stead. Of course, nothing like vBrawl Ganon vs ICs should ever exist ever, but the game is far past the point where such extreme outliers genuinely exist, and the speeding up of boomerang by 4 frames isn't going to shatter that boundary.

Even disregarding the fact that the boomerang nerfs were unnecessary, I would think the larger issue lies in SDI modifiers. My sincerest wish for Link over anything else is that his moves would at least "work" to the intended degree. Having my opponent slide out of my swings only to be met with the hardest punish for landing my attack is the most infuriating experience ever.

But hey, it's just a game so w/e. A lot of fun is perception. In the end is the state of the game truly the antithesis to fun or is it our unwillingness to enjoy the game as it is? Or is it the shadow of what once was that makes the game feel so lacking now? Maybe we're all subconsciously remembering 3.02 where explosions went off around us and we're like "Wow, that was the most fun gay sex I've ever had. That was nice."

Who can say?

Last edited:

Beorn

Smash Journeyman
I disagree that link is boring. I think that he needs to work, and be better at what he does. I don't think his current playstyle is boring though. As much as people don't like hearing it. It is very stupid that toonlink is very nearly better at everything than Link. This is a problem. If toonlink clearly has better projectiles. Should link not clearly have better normals or kill power or recovery?

IDK where shadic is. I messaged him a couple of weeks ago and never got a reply. He's probably busy with life stuff.

D

Deleted member

my current stance is that making the game fun means addressing changes that make the game FEEL better without actually changing how the game sits right now. this means doing minor surgical style buffs that make the players enjoy the character more without actually making them better, generally by lowering lowering IASA or AC windows, fine tuning SDI modifiers, lowering startup, lowering endlag, adjusting traction values, adding 1% damage or shaving a frame here and there and normalizing extreme attributes, particularly weight and run speed. but i also acknowledge that any changes have the potential for damage with regards to how we address the public. every change can cause damage. fixing link's upsmash has the potential for damage. a lot of people loathe GAW, but nerfing GAW has the potential for damage. our shaky player base isn't sitting around like "YES GAW IS NERFED IM COMING BACK" so much as "oh GAW got nerfed by my character is still boring". every patch that comes out, people naturally move towards the characters that are the most fun, which are also typically the ones that are the most potent. as of 3.5, theres were a ton of Roy and Lucario players. in 3.6, that means a lot more ZSS and MK players. this tells us that our players want more powerful characters. to me, that also involves possibly reverting a good number of things to 3.5, which Lunchables has argued with me about at length. but again, this is just my personal stance as one player, and doesn't reflect on the Dev Team as a whole.
lol I agree'd with all of your changes, what did I deny >__>

All I said was the chain grab is dumb, I didn't deny things such as 3.5 rang or uthrow. It's not like the chain grab is a thing specific to 3.5, it's in 3.6 as well. Chain grabs, specifically Dthrow chain grabs, are often problematic and I'd prefer if they were not in the game

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Ya, I just want to give a big shoutout to the anti-SDI **** sucking brigade. Thanks a billion for making my character's Usmash not work and then not even bothering to fix the **** before closing up shop. Now I'm stuck with it. I *actually* ****ing hate you.

I disagree that link is boring. I think that he needs to work, and be better at what he does. I don't think his current playstyle is boring though. As much as people don't like hearing it. It is very stupid that toonlink is very nearly better at everything than Link. This is a problem. If toonlink clearly has better projectiles. Should link not clearly have better normals or kill power or recovery?

IDK where shadic is. I messaged him a couple of weeks ago and never got a reply. He's probably busy with life stuff.

He's not boring because of his playstyle he's boring because all of his good **** was watered down for no reason. You're focusing on the wrong argument that is my opinion. But whatever not like the **** matters now.

lol I agree'd with all of your changes, what did I deny >__>

All I said was the chain grab is dumb, I didn't deny things such as 3.5 rang or uthrow. It's not like the chain grab is a thing specific to 3.5, it's in 3.6 as well. Chain grabs, specifically Dthrow chain grabs, are often problematic and I'd prefer if they were not in the game
I agree that Dthrow CG's are dumb, but Link's starts at like awkward mid-percents against less than 40% of the cast. The fact that it starts at those weird 40-ish or 60-ish percents means that a single conversion might knock them out of CG range or into the middle of it, effectively making the CG not as potent when it happens. He also has to land a grab at these specific percents. Furthermore, in almost every instance barring like 2, he can't CG into Empty Combo (ie. guaranteed kill setups) or do anything of that sort, it's mostly damage into stage position. But on characters like MK and Roy it's pretty questionable. But **** MK.

The CG is also hard as hell to do consistently imo.

Last edited:

PeanutReaper486

Smash Rookie
Ya, I just want to give a big shoutout to the anti-SDI **** sucking brigade. Thanks a billion for making my character's Usmash not work and then not even bothering to fix the **** before closing up shop. Now I'm stuck with it. I *actually* ****ing hate you.
Pretty much how I feel about the whole thing.

Played the dev build and felt immense anger when I performed a maximum range grab on a CPU Knuckles. And it worked.

Great game and all, but damn if you didn't drop the ball with Link. Not to mention the other characters who have broken/improper characteristics.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Ya I honestly just don't want to play. If I play Link in 3.6 it's out of an empty sense of duty to the game, not because I'm pleased with the final result. I cannot overstate my anger. That's what happens when you ****ing stick your ***** in the pudding.

PeanutReaper486

Smash Rookie
Also, to add to what's left of the chaingrab discussion; It's nice, but it's not amazing. Most of the time Link can use basically any other option rather than opting for chaingrabs, and it'd work better in his favor. I only ever use the chaingrab these days vs Sheik, G&W, and the upthrow chaingrab on spacies. Or when I want to break my opponent's morale, but doesn't happen often.

Blue6969

Smash Rookie
Ehm, I dunno...
Maybe it's because I started playing in April of 2015, therefore never being spoiled by 3.02 Link, but I don't find Link particularly boring in 3.6.
Sure, I agree. His tether grab is hot garbage now with the broken grabbox, and his U-Smash leaves a lot to be desired.
His punish game still feels really good, though.

If it makes you feel better, these two issues are what was about to be addressed in the planned update...
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3w0at6/new_project_m_361_build_leaked_with_changelog/

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
His punishment at high level is weak and feels fake due to how flimsy it becomes in the face of proper counterplay. I really don't feel like debating this topic tbh.

I think the CG is good, because free optimization for mastering it is neat, but it would be a hell of a lot more questionable if he had a real grab and it started near 0%. Then you could CG them out of CC percents and laugh.

Fortress

Smash Master
Link not being a flashy, gimmicky, 3.0-era character doesn't mean he's bad, just that if you don't want to be a fraud, it'd be in your best interests to pick up some barebones Link fundamentals in Melee and build off of that.

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
Im inclined to agree with Fortress Fortress on this. Link was basically made into something I'd even call into a "PAL" edition. He doesn't have all the clear-cut easy stuff anymore. A lot of characters don't now. So, nows the time you have to dedicate, and think outside the box. But, definitely look towards melee link vets for advice, then turn back to PM for some really unique perspectives, then try to get after it with that.

Fortress

Smash Master
Personally, I say play Street Fighter, but half of the players on this board can't even put forth what little effort is needed to try their character from a new perspective the second something changes, so it's not likely they're able to do some real work.

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
It's definitely gonna be a grind though. And I can understand why people wouldn't wanna go through the hassle, but its always worth it in the end. Unfortunately I don't main link, and im spread way too thin over all the characters I actually like in the game, but im definitely interested in how much I can learn, or find with him in PM.

Top Bottom