• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3.5 Telehovers.

DARKcpu0

Smash Apprentice
So alot of people have found ways to telehover, myself included.

This will just go over the many ways of doing so.

-STAGE SPECIFIC TELEHOVERS-
Apparently, on multiple stages, you can just throw out a telehover like it aint no thing, that is, horizontally.

Input:
:GCU: :GCB: , :GCL:or:GCR: depending.

Only on the following stages does this work:
Metal Cavern (On the bottom, higher ground)
WarioWare, Inc. (Anywhere but near the edges; specifically inside the blue boxes that are the corners.)
Lylat Cruise (Bottom, Higher ground)
Yoshi's Island (Anywhere but the lowest parts of the stage/near ledge and center ; bottom)
Yoshi's Story (Bottom ; Anywhere but the angles near the ledges)
Kongo Jungle (The angled sections of the stage ONLY ; bottom)
Training Stage (To the right)

Not sure who to credit for these finds.

Some guy named "Andrew Crelling" pointed out WarioWare's but not sure about the rest. Maybe blu2 was the one who hit Training Stage first but again, not too sure.

-EDGE CANCELLED TELEHOVERS-
Myself and Frozen apparently both figured these out around the same time according to Emu. He has a video of this on his channel, although he does it different from the way I do. Not sure who figured it out first though, and it doesn't really matter. Also props to blu2 for expanding my knowledge on it and Frozen (again lol) and Emukiller as he notes something in his video that brings this whole option to life.

Firstly, there are 3 different ways about tackling this. The way I originally found, Ledge Cancelled Telehovers, and another way to do so which may or may not have been discovered by Frozen, and finally, Not sure if Emu, Frozen, or Blu2 came upon this first, Edge Cancelled Telehovers.

First, the way I (and probably Frozen as well) found out about Ledge Cancelled Telehovers.

Input(s)
DARKcpu0's way:
:GCU::GCB::GCR: No Jump Included.
Frozen/Emukiller's way:
:GCX:or :GCY:, :GCU::GCB::GCDR:(roughly.) Jump Included.

Basically, you well, ledge cancelled your teleport, hold jump, and boom. You're hovering. I personally do it perfectly horizonally. Not sure if this is how frozen does it, but Emu seems to do it this way. For reference on where you HAVE to do this from, here's some pictures. Props to Apoc. He says to mirror for the other way around, and for the most part you can, just not on all stages.

NOTE: You may have to move abit closer to the ledge to get the proper result.

With this way, you can actually retain your teleport after telehovering, as you just barely slide off stage. Takes some getting used to so you dont get stuck in ground teleport frames for long, but its easy to get the hang of.

Now for way two, which you can still do horizontally, but you may find better success doing this one at an angle. Same basic concept, but you're more clipping the ledge than anything. You do not retain your teleport afterwards. Again, Originally found by Frozen. See the previous inputs. Same for just clipping the edge.

Finally, way three. (Blu2, Frozen, Emu) This is essentially the 2nd way, but near PLATFORMS. If you do this right, you can actually get a telehover approach. For example, full hop over a platform on battlefield, and then teleport at the apex, and go diagonally down at... ~17 degrees?, and hold jump. If done right, you will have clipped the EDGE of the platform, and travelled far enough to go just below the platform to the far right, while hovering just at head's height for most characters. This is huge as it opens up a new realm of approaches for mewtwo, but its pretty rough to get down.
Same inputs as before.

On stages like Smashville, Norfair, Yoshi's Island, Green Hill Zone, Fountain of Dreams, maybe even Distant Planet, this opens up alot of options. Especially on FoD as if the platform is low enough you can horizontally edge cancel into a telehover from that platform, as you can edge cancel telehovers from platforms horizontally, but just not so easily. I'd say its tighter than double jump landing but who knows.

-DOUBLE JUMP CANCELLED TELEHOVERS-

Yeah. DJC Telehovers.
Blu2 gets props for this one, while Infinity Collision gets props for the frame data. With this little method, you can telehover in any direction but horizontal while on stage.

Credit to Apoc for the gif, he has his own guide for this as well, and I stole one of the gifs. "oops".

Spent some time in debug mode figuring out the telehover thing. Here's what I've got:

-The teleport input must go in during your first frame of airtime.
-You have to input a double jump within a four frame window before that. As best I can tell, this input only works via tap jump.
-Teleporting horizontally will, as noted, generally end in a grounded teleport if the ground between your start and ending points is level. Training Room appears to be the only exception.
-Also as noted, you can airdodge out of the hover.
-You can only hover when teleporting from the ground. It doesn't appear to be possible from a platform. Teleporting between two platforms that are level with each other will autocancel though, which is neat.

So your frame data looks like this:

0-Standing, input jump
1-Jumpsquat
2-Jumpsquat, can input double jump
3-Jumpsquat, can input double jump
4-Jumpsquat, can input double jump
5- Jumpsquat, can input double jump
6-Airtime, input teleport
7-Teleport startup
So to break it down with inputs,
Frame 0: :GCX:or :GCY:
Frame 1:
Frames 2-5: :GCY:/:GCX:/:GCU: (if tap jump) :GCU:Recommended.
Frame 6 (:GCU: if you didn't tap jump, should be held already if tap jump was used):GCB:
Frame 7-30(?) :GCX:or :GCY: HOLD

So in a 3-7ish frame window with 1 frame to actually get the DJC (X being jump)
:GCX:,:GCU::GCB:,:GCX:(HOLD) (TAPJUMP)
:GCX:,:GCX: + :GCU::GCB:,:GCX:(HOLD) (NO TAP JUMP)

something you all may like to know... the teleport starts as an aerial teleport but switches to a grouded teleport.
you can telehover if you time an upB before you land as well
must be related to that transition from air teleport into a grounded teleport
So there you mewtwo mains go.
VIDEOS

Ledge Cancelled Telehovers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVJVa4GQ_8I&list=UUJM1lYyWQvZsYuPhxTzA0vA

Double Jump Cancelled Telehovers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzlOU0Bh-yA

See 0:22. Actually, watch all of it. Some of it is common knowledge, but some other things are pretty great to know.

Last edited:

proxibomb

Smash Clown
This is hilarious. If it works on Smashville, I'll assume that someone purposely kept this is instead of it being classified as a bug. Watch the PMBR take this down though, which is sad.

DARKcpu0

Smash Apprentice
This is hilarious. If it works on Smashville, I'll assume that someone purposely kept this is instead of it being classified as a bug. Watch the PMBR take this down though, which is sad.
Probably was left it. Had to give mewtwo something. Might have been over looked. Anyways, it works on all platforms if you're referring to cancelling via passing the edges of platforms.

Works on all stages if you're referring to ledge cancelling the teleport to get hover.

If pmbr kills this, I'd probably quit PM all together lol.

Plebiscuit

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
CARL#168
Telehover's probably gonna get axed because a djc tech with a one frame input window can't have possibly been intentional. I'd love it if the tech was still around come 3.51/3.6/4.0/whatever, but it's evident from the PMBR's treatment of Squirtle, Sonic and Pikachu in 3.5 that character specific b-based movement options are no longer part of their vision. They're going to nerf tele again somehow next patch, I just know it. Use it while you've got it.

Apoc

Smash Cadet
Literally this last week has been Christmas for me for Mewtwo... SOO MUCH TECH TO PRACTICE! I'mma lose my mind people!

Edit: Thanks for the props as well xD Didn't even intend for the pictures to have anything to do with this :p

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Yeah, I don't think the onstage telehover tricks were intentional. Ledge cancel, sure, no problem there. But I'll be (pleasantly) surprised if the onstage telehover survives past the bugfix patch. I don't plan on practicing it at all unless we get official word to the contrary in the meantime.

Pretty sure you can't "just" telehover horizontally onstage on those stages. It has to be the DJC-style method. I'd also like to see confirmation on Warioware, as I haven't been able to pull it off there. Can anyone else confirm/deconfirm tap jump only for the standing DJC thing? I still haven't managed to do it with tap jump off.

DARKcpu0

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I don't think the onstage telehover tricks were intentional. Ledge cancel, sure, no problem there. But I'll be (pleasantly) surprised if the onstage telehover survives past the bugfix patch. I don't plan on practicing it at all unless we get official word to the contrary in the meantime.

Pretty sure you can't "just" telehover horizontally onstage on those stages. It has to be the DJC-style method. I'd also like to see confirmation on Warioware, as I haven't been able to pull it off there. Can anyone else confirm/deconfirm tap jump only for the standing DJC thing? I still haven't managed to do it with tap jump off.
Its possible. Its just alot harder. because its an extra input to do in that 1 frame window.

Apoc

Smash Cadet
You can telehover in certain directions from the top platform in battlefield. I'll make a gif on it here in a bit.

Garr

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone tried teleporting from the ledge to the stage, then teleporting back? Since you automatically get the right distance cuz you just teleported horizontally towards the stage, and it's ledge cancelled, you can do teleport back and forth insanely fast.

In other words, WOOPWOOPWOOPWOOPWOOPWOOPWOOPWOOPWOOP!

Apoc

Smash Cadet
^Yeah SmashGod did it in one of his gameplay videos from 3.02. Not sure how practical it is but it looks pretty flashy. You can also do the same kind of thing on battlefield if you do a shorthop on the top platform then teleport down.

Garr

Smash Apprentice
Battlefield is like, my swagger stage. I can autocancel EVERYWHERE. Yeah, not very practical unless they don't know that you can do it, but it makes for a nice custom taunt (should totally be charging up a shadow ball, but **** logic!)

DARKcpu0

Smash Apprentice
Battlefield is like, my swagger stage. I can autocancel EVERYWHERE. Yeah, not very practical unless they don't know that you can do it, but it makes for a nice custom taunt (should totally be charging up a shadow ball, but **** logic!)
Its a pretty sexy mix up. If you condition your opponent into thinking you're going to edgegaurd them via ledge cancelled telehover, you can just woop in and out.

Also its a way to get away, force an approach, then get control of the stage.

Pretty practical yo.

Apoc

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I just haven't used it myself yet :/ I guess taking those pictures of those spots in stages was worth my while after all.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I though being able to hover out of grounded tps was completely intentional?
For the DJC Tele hover, are you certain you actually have to use a buffered tap jump double jump to do it?

Tap jump has built in buffers which is probably why it works, if it wasn't intentional. For example, if you do a grounded jump with tap jump, and hit the cstick any direction but up during the jump squat, it buffers the DJ. You can buffer double jumps out of IASA with tap jump as well, same 4 frame window iirc

DARKcpu0

Smash Apprentice
I though being able to hover out of grounded tps was completely intentional?
For the DJC Tele hover, are you certain you actually have to use a buffered tap jump double jump to do it?

Tap jump has built in buffers which is probably why it works, if it wasn't intentional. For example, if you do a grounded jump with tap jump, and hit the cstick any direction but up during the jump squat, it buffers the DJ. You can buffer double jumps out of IASA with tap jump as well, same 4 frame window iirc
Very Very VERY late response, but yeah. Its possible. Sure you've figured it out by now but yeah. I should've said this last year but time got the best of me. Its just so much harder to really pull off given the tight timing for an extra input

Last edited:

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
Trying to learn Mewtwo, so to get the hang of it, I was using the frame by frame debug mode to see how much leeway I had with inputs.
So does it break the c-stick for anyone else? If I manage to do it, c-stick becomes null, except for left, and sometimes something else might work. Report to the bugs?

Top Bottom