• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3.5 Spinshot??

yetijunior

Smash Rookie
Hey there guys. Longtime smasher, new poster here, so forgive me for starting a possibly unnecessary thread.

But I was wondering; is the spinshot viable in 3.5??
I'm a fairly new Sonic main after discovering Wizzy's wreckage at CEO 2014, and I notice him use the spinshot quite a bit. I do know that the distance of it in 3.5 has been nerfed significantly, which is why I'm asking.

The distance seems negligible, so I never go for a spinshot. I wouldn't even know when an appropriate time to use it for combo extending/recovering since the distance isn't what it used to be. Any opinions??

BBoySonicX

Smash Rookie
NNID
BBoySonicX
Personally I still use it. If I'm high up enough above the stage and I have my second jump, I spinshot then sideB(sometimes the other way around if I'm far away enough). It's still a quick way to shoot yourself forward, which can catch some opponents off guard.

GabPR

Smash Lord
While spinshot's distance nerf hurts it is still plenty usefull. It can be used to recover, reposition yourself onstage and in some cases it can still be used as a combo extender. while not as effective as 3.0 it is not by any means not useful.

yetijunior

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the input guys. I guess it's time for more training mode haha. Does anyone know the frame window on the spinshot? I still can't do it on command.

TKDbeast

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kyle
It's also a good mixup, due to the fact you are suspended in the air for a short period of time before attacking

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Just gonna post it here instead of making a new thread.
Does anyone have footage of the 3.5 spinshot?

I'm doubting whether I actually pulled it off, so I wanna double check.
So far it just looks like a wimpy double jump the way I see it.

yetijunior

Smash Rookie
@ Kei_Takaro Kei_Takaro I'm hoping to find the same thing because I'm coming up with the same results haha. Hopefully someone knows the exact frame window on it, I feel that would help immensely.

@ GabPR GabPR I just saw your 3.02 guide on the spinshot and it actually helped a little. If it's not too much to ask, do you think you could make a 3.5 guide with examples of combo extension?? As far as execution I'm sure it'll come in time, but I would like to see more applicable uses for it as far as combo setups/extensions go from someone that's highly accustomed to it.

GabPR

Smash Lord
@ Kei_Takaro Kei_Takaro I'm hoping to find the same thing because I'm coming up with the same results haha. Hopefully someone knows the exact frame window on it, I feel that would help immensely.

@ GabPR GabPR I just saw your 3.02 guide on the spinshot and it actually helped a little. If it's not too much to ask, do you think you could make a 3.5 guide with examples of combo extension?? As far as execution I'm sure it'll come in time, but I would like to see more applicable uses for it as far as combo setups/extensions go from someone that's highly accustomed to it.
As far as spinshot is confirmed I believe the 3.02 guide sums everything up about what I wanted to show about spinshot, the rest are really just situational uses for it, so I dont think I will be touching it. I do plan on posibly making an edgeguarding and recovery guide for Sonic though.

yetijunior

Smash Rookie
As far as spinshot is confirmed I believe the 3.02 guide sums everything up about what I wanted to show about spinshot, the rest are really just situational uses for it, so I dont think I will be touching it. I do plan on posibly making an edgeguarding and recovery guide for Sonic though.
Fair enough haha. I appreciate the insight though. Looking forward to the new guide once it's up!

Vultron

Smash Apprentice
You can go farther, yea. My spinshot was cut slightly shorter because of the momentum I was carrying from being hit.
Okay, just making sure I wasn't thinking of 3.02 spinshot.

On a related note, do you know how to control the distance of spinshot? I have dabbled with it before, but could not really figure it out.

Nazo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nazoplex
Okay, just making sure I wasn't thinking of 3.02 spinshot.

On a related note, do you know how to control the distance of spinshot? I have dabbled with it before, but could not really figure it out.
yea the distance depends on the timing of your jump out of aerial spindash release. I wish I could explain it further in detail but unfortunately I don't have access to debug mode to show what they are and I can't do multiple distances consistently enough to record it.

Last edited:

yetijunior

Smash Rookie
yea the distance depends on the timing of your jump out of aerial spindash release. I wish I could explain it further in detail but unfortunately I don't have access to debug mode to show what they are and I can't do multiple distances consistently enough to record it.
From what I've gathered so far, the later you do it the less the distance is. It seems to be less than a 10 frame window for the max distance. Though I'm still not sure if there's a couple of frames between letting go and jumping, or if it's the frame immediately after for the max.

Original Zash

Smash Rookie
I'm not gonna bother reading through endless pages of text or guides to see if it's known already or not. Is it known that Sonic can cancel his dash attack into a grab?

NyTR0

Smash Apprentice
I'm not gonna bother reading through endless pages of text or guides to see if it's known already or not. Is it known that Sonic can cancel his dash attack into a grab?
You mean that thing where Sonic does like a running grab but the hit box of his dash attack comes out? I forgot the name for it but what it does is that if the opponent is out of shield the dash attack hit box hits them but if they're shielding, the grab box comes out instead.

jtm94

Smash Lord
Sonic can both boost-grab as well as gatling grab. Boost grab is just keeping the momentum of his dash attack while grabbing(there are no dash attack hitboxes) and gatling grab is hitting the first hitbox of dash attack and cancelling that into grab. Boost grab is meh because jump canceled grab on sonic goes much further in my experience and gatling grab is useful because it works against both crouch cancelling and shielding.

Last edited:
Top Bottom