• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3.5 Link Discussion

Wolf_

Smash Journeyman
So I can tell in the way he plays he's a nervous wreck, and doesn't have a good grasp of neutral, at least against link. As Player -0 pointed out, and I'm sure fuzzy knows this, he's using side b way way too much. It's not just off platforms either, he's using it early in strings, prematurely ending them when they should last much longer. The first frames of side b are definitely not what you should be going for. It's optimally used to cover tech away options, so think ganon down b...only you can jump out of it and it kills better.

ooooooooooooooo hahaha I like this, guys please post more ideas like this it could be great, never thought to use it that way

Hope he gets better!
Yea he's been playing League of Legends too....... and he plays guitar so he's all messed up, he was chillin at my place last night lookin all pissed off haha so I tossed him a beer, nothing else he can really do at this point

GarmWyrda

Smash Cadet
Hi, Quick question :
I knew we can throw bombs at different length, but I always thought that was throw with A = shorter, and C-stick = longer.
However I just played and I could throw long and short with A, and only long with C-stick EXCEPT if I throw it riiiight before I touch the ground...

So, what are the "secrets" about this ? What are the setups ? Are there more than 2 different length ? How do I do it ? I'm curious :)

TheBigChew

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mario.Zelda.SSB4
Hi, Quick question :
I knew we can throw bombs at different length, but I always thought that was throw with A = shorter, and C-stick = longer.
However I just played and I could throw long and short with A, and only long with C-stick EXCEPT if I throw it riiiight before I touch the ground...

So, what are the "secrets" about this ? What are the setups ? Are there more than 2 different length ? How do I do it ? I'm curious :)
Think of it like this, you have your Hard throw which is the c-stick and your "A" which is your regular throw. Smash attacks can be used by a c-stick or by Tapping the control stick fast in one direction and pressing a. You were probably just doing that with the bomb. I think that is what you meant, if not I apologise. There are different many lengths actually. Regular throw, Hard throw, AGT, Bomb Punts, Z-drop. Practise these ways and learn when to use these in different situations. Hope this helps

Last edited:

GarmWyrda

Smash Cadet
Oh right, that's what I thought, so basically there is a "smash attack"-throw and a "tilt"-throw right ?

I'm still wondering why I do a regular throw with c-stick when I throw right before I land.. Any idea ?

TheBigChew

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mario.Zelda.SSB4
Oh right, that's what I thought, so basically there is a "smash attack"-throw and a "tilt"-throw right ?

I'm still wondering why I do a regular throw with c-stick when I throw right before I land.. Any idea ?
I just tried it, and see what you mean, TBH I think that is just part of how the game works. For example Toon link, diddy, and peach all have that same thing as well, where their throw goes a shorter distance right before they land on stage or a platform. (Edit) this may also be because you are in the air, when on ground projectiles I believe go a further distance.

Last edited:

GarmWyrda

Smash Cadet
Oh ok, thanks !

And last post (I promise !), I just remembered something : I think I've seen a peach on melee and PM doing a Fair while holding a turnip.. Is it possible ? Or I just dreamt that ? X)

Last edited:

TheBigChew

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mario.Zelda.SSB4
Oh ok, thanks !

And last post (I promise !), I just remembered something : I think I've seen a peach on melee and PM doing a Fair while holding a turnip.. Is it possible ? Or I just dreamt that ? X)
A Peach player in melee?!?! that has to be Armada lol. I don't think its possible unless you z-drop the item you are holding and re-grab that item while doing an aerial attack which is possible and helpful in some situations, creating mind games is one of them. There is such thing where you can do an action while holding and item, for example if you pull out a bomb with either Link or Tink while holding "A" you can press the c-stick to either the left or right of you to preform an f-smash before throwing the bomb.

Last edited:

GarmWyrda

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I knew about the smash on ground, but I thought/hoped you could do the same while in the air. Holding A and doing an aerial with the C-stick.. But I don't think it works on PM. (If my memory serves me well, It was possible on Brawl... Well on Brawl you could Z-drop and doing an aerial to regrab it, while on PM you'll just blow your bomb and yourself with it !)

(Yeah it must have been Armada ! )

Player -0

Smash Hero
In Project M you can't Z-Drop and then use an aerial to regrab (I'm pretty sure).

The Smash on the ground is still in.

The way Peach's float works is that she can perform any aerial during the float. This property disregards items so Peach can do aerials while holding items if she floats first.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Man, I can't wait for the "3.6 Link Discussion" thread.

I have a feeling it's going to be significantly calmer. :alakadoof:

Player -0

Smash Hero
Oh yeah, if your Up-B is stale go for the dank Z-Drop -> Fair/Dair. Of course you need to have quite a bit of space but it's good if you don't want to go low and your Up-B is stale BECAUSE YOU FHU@(%& SPAMMED IT ONSTAGE (WHY YOU DO THIS!?).

TheBigChew

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mario.Zelda.SSB4
Man, I can't wait for the "3.6 Link Discussion" thread.

I have a feeling it's going to be significantly calmer. :alakadoof:
LOL. I mean at this point there is no real reason to nerf link unless PMDT hated him which I highly doubt because I can really tell how much love they put into him, so he might just get a few buffs and that would be it. Better F-tilt and B-air and slightly improved recovery would do it for me honestly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom