• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3.0 - Flashy new addons... online turd persists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
So 3.0 has finally released, and I think that it has clearly made the game better overall. Joker is well designed and fun to play, the stage builder and movie maker are fun novelties, and the balance changes were "okay". All great things, however, virtually nothing was done to improve the online experience, so I still consider the game to be entirely unacceptable. GSP is still a massive joke, we still have to play asinine rule sets at somebody else's discretion, and we still have no way to avoid ridiculous lag. QP is the single most important peripheral component of this game, and it is sad to say that it appears that Nintendo is actually okay with it. They changed nothing about it... so this is probably what we get...

I generally try to avoid assuming that large successful companies are "stupid". In this case, it is quite mind boggling trying to understand if there is actually any intelligent rationale behind this awful online design. It would seem that you literally have to not care about the game to be okay with the current online play. It looks like it was designed to piss people off. If you care about your rating, have fun with omegaLul GSP. If you care about your ruleset being competitive, enjoy your forced and ranked item games. Do you want to screw around with items / fun stages? Enjoy your try hard 1v1 FD games in between.

Rather than allowing players to be exclusive in what they do, the system just sucks for everybody. This actually looks like gross incompetence on the part of nintendo, as their attempt to make a safe space for all has resulted in a cancer pit.

Anyway, i guess we can just enjoy what we did get and hope that Nintendo is secretly working on improving the online experience, but just missed 3.0.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
Personally I am pretty impressed with the 3.0.0 update and like it a lot. I especially love the stage builder feature.

I almost never got noncompetitive rulesets anyway probably courtesy of playing high up in Elite Smash. And if I get them then I just enjoy them since I am not that picky. I actually like a filthy casual game in a janky stage sometimes.

As for Nintendo's competence, like any other big corporation Nintendo is a money-making machine. I am sure their online and SSBU both sell well. Hence they are competent. You also bought it so they also got you.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
in their balance changes they mentioned you will be matched much easier with people around your GSP..well i can tell you that's complete bull**** -.-
i still had team matches//FFA matches where someone or a few where waaaay behind/above the rest GSP wise

and still no fixes for getting rulesets i don't want.. i swear if i wanted timed matches then i would had made it my preference >.>
and the game trying to force me into 1v1 matches not allowing me to leave so i have to turn off my switch before the match start..
i swear...instead of nerfing so much fix that damn online!

Last edited:

USAnyan

Smash Cadet
they did say they were planning to fix it at a later date. Didn’t they Supposedly make it easier to run into people with the same GSP? How’s that going?I’d test it out myself but I don’t wanna run into a million jokers.

It’s clear joker, stage builder, and projectile nerfing were their bigger priorities with this patch and everything else was the cherry on top. I actually have a bit of confidence in them, I think 3.0 was a good show they’re at least vaguely in the know of some common issues. The main question is how long will we have to wait? Until the next character?

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
they did say they were planning to fix it at a later date. Didn’t they Supposedly make it easier to run into people with the same GSP? How’s that going?I’d test it out myself but I don’t wanna run into a million jokers.

It’s clear joker, stage builder, and projectile nerfing were their bigger priorities with this patch and everything else was the cherry on top. I actually have a bit of confidence in them, I think 3.0 was a good show they’re at least vaguely in the know of some common issues. The main question is how long will we have to wait? Until the next character?
Can't say anything about the match making that isn't anecdotal. Maybe it's slightly better? Personally, i'd begrudgingly accept it for what it is if they would just separate the rule sets. There needs to be a way to only play bf/omega 3 stock 7 min.

I agree that there were a lot of good things in this patch. Nerfing projectiles shows that they are capable of trying to create a particular meta game. The video maker and sharing content is really good as well. I just don't absolve them of responsibility for the asinine rule sets, lack of a true ladder and traditional ranking system, and terrible netcode. nintendo has the resources the be the best, and yet they have worse netcode than random indy companies. In fact, melee online has way better netcode and is made by fans.

Gamer Cube

Smash Apprentice
I believe 3.0 was a good update. Their reduction of shield damage on most projectiles reduces camping and characters that were near the bottom of the tier list got some good buffs. They tried to improve matchmaking, and are still working on it. I think we all need to acknowledge Nintendo's servers are pretty slow. They are trying to improve, and they did improve through the 3.0 update.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
the amount of Jokers is not as bad as you think.. you will see 1 or 2 here and there..if you play 1v1 alot then i think the chance is even smaller you get to see 1 each match.. i think for my FFA/team matches i sometimes had 1 or 2 Joker players but that's about it
and to be fair people are still learning the character cause alot of them aren't that great..including me lol still gotta get used to his moves xD

Gamer Cube

Smash Apprentice
I agree with what Coolboy said. Most people are still trying to brainstorm combos and get good with his moveset,. They don't want to lose, or they'll drop down too much GSP. You can bet you'll see a ton of Jokers in the next week or so... hehe... hehe...:crying:

USAnyan

Smash Cadet
the amount of Jokers is not as bad as you think.. you will see 1 or 2 here and there..if you play 1v1 alot then i think the chance is even smaller you get to see 1 each match.. i think for my FFA/team matches i sometimes had 1 or 2 Joker players but that's about it
and to be fair people are still learning the character cause alot of them aren't that great..including me lol still gotta get used to his moves xD
I’d be glad to trade encounter rates of him with you.Because last night he was 90% of my encounters in arenas.Dont get me wrong ik why, and don’t 100% blame them but dang they have the potential to be annoying when combined with input lag and Arsene.

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
I agree with what Coolboy said. Most people are still trying to brainstorm combos and get good with his moveset,. They don't want to lose, or they'll drop down too much GSP. You can bet you'll see a ton of Jokers in the next week or so... hehe... hehe...:crying:
I think it depends on your ranking. Joker is new and hard to play, so most people are probably farming Jokers at high gsp. There's infinite Jokers down lower on the ladder if you queue up an alt or something that is lower than your main.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Yaaaay Nintendo! They made one change so far to online that's made me happy. Teams are now properly randomized so if you get stuck with a lesser skilled player it's not an incentive to drop out especially if your lobby is stable. Can't change characters yet but here's to hoping. By 8.0 they should have this down.

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
While this update did a lot right, I am disappointed that quick play still sucks. Nintendo did say that they would improve online in future updates so hopefully they make some good changes then. In the meantime, I love the shared content addition! I am spending more time with that than actually playing matches online. I have already uploaded a couple really good moments and battles I had there. The stage builder is awesome and the video maker looks very addicting. Overall, I think this update was great and it added on a lot of small things the game really needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom