• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3.0 charge beam nerf question

Savage1

Smash Rookie
Does the power missile+charge beam shield break still work after the patch? Samus' only change seems to be decreasing effectiveness of the charge beam on shields, and this was one of my favorite combos, so if anyone has tested it, please let me know.

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
I broke a Joker's shield with Super Missile + Charge Beam today.
However, a Ganondorf shielded both moves and still had about 1/4 shield health remaining.

Maybe the Joker's shield was depleted below 25% before I shot him?

Xanderr

Smash Rookie
Damn... Literally nerfed the move that Samus is built around... This just gives characters with shielding/reflect capabilities a double buff against us...

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
Yeah lol. Its dead. There was another, more consistent way of doing it. You could edge trap by planting a bomb during an opponent's neutral getup and going in stage. There were a few variations of the trap and how to follow up, but pre-patch the explosion from the bomb (not bomb contact, explosion specifically) + charge shot would insta break shields. Now bomb blast + full charge shot doesn't break shield anymore, and since super missile + charge shot is reactable asf... well.... guess joker dropped at the right time for a secondary change ;p

Lorisaur

Smash Cadet
Honestly, I don't really care about shieldbreaks. I also think that people might shield more carelessly when you have a full charge shot, meaning you have more space to set up bombs or get grabs. The important thing is another one instead... the shieldstun is still the same, right?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

Lorisaur

Smash Cadet
^ It's actually better postpatch.

That's crazy!! I can even think that charge shot got buffed in this patch

Honestly I think Missile > CS shield break only really works on lower level players. Better players just either jump, dodge in between or flat out eat the missile.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Apparently, there's a bug in training room that affects hitlag, so you can't trust training room:

Not 100% sure what that means in practice, test it in a normal game and see if it works?

Last edited:

Downshift

Smash Journeyman

It honestly doesn't seem like that much more hitstun, but if CS turns out to actually inflict more stun, then this could make CS > Grab a confirm into Dthrow combos...

Top Bottom