• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2GG Returns to its Melee Roots

After 8 grueling years, 2GGaming returns to where it all started, Super Smash Bros. Melee. Not only will 2GG return to Melee, they will be partnering up with Red Bull to do so at Red Bull's first Super Smash Bros. event, 'Gods and Gatekeepers' on Sept 2-3, located in Los Angeles, California.

This event will be the first of its kind in that it focuses on crew battles in its finals rather than a singles bracket.

The first day of the event will consist of a standard open bracket double elimination tournament for players to qualify as "Chosen," or those who finish in the top 32. Then, players will be placed in a draft for the final two slots in each four man crew headed up by either a Smash God or someone deemed a Gatekeeper. The last slot in each crew will be chosen directly by the Captain of a crew as their "disciples."

From there, the 16 players who were not chosen become the "Godforsaken," and play in their own standalone event to cap day one.

On day two of the event, each of the crews will square off in Judgment Day battles to see which crew will be victorious and crowned champions. Interestingly, if the series goes to 5 games, the decider becomes a Doubles match. While doubles have not had quite the same amount of success viewership-wise as singles, they are a crowd favorite and should lead to some drama.

The event's player roster will feature:
  • Joseph “Mango” Marquez
  • Justin “Plup” McGrath
  • Zac “SFAT” Cordoni
  • Daniel “ChuDat” Rodriguez
  • Justin “Wizzrobe” Hallett
  • Jeffrey “Axe” Williamson
  • Jason “Mew2king” Zimmerman
  • William “Leffen” Hjelte

"This will be Red Bull's first Smash event and we're super excited to work with them on it. They truly care about the Smash community as shown by their previous track record and they want to support the community even further." says 2GGaming CEO, Champ Tangwongkitsiri in his Reddit post. "2GG will be doing everything in our power to make this event as successful as possible for us, Red Bull, and most of all, the community."

Trailer for Red Bull Smash's Gods and Gatekeepers
If you or anyone else is interested in this event, click here to be directed to the event's smashgg page for more details.

Author's Note: What do you guys think about this news? This is 2GG's first Melee event in over 8 years, and SoCal's first major event in over 3 years! This truly is historical moment for SoCal's Smash community! 2GG has changed the game, completely. Let us know what you think in the comments section bellow.

Josh Olalde

Comments

not terribly big with melee myself (cause character preference banishes me to mediocrity, and I'm too chicken to train toward getting competent anyway), and this intrigues me...

might need some elaboration on this new event's rules, though, cause I am having a slight amount of difficulty understanding entirely...

Top Bottom