2B Activates!

Altais

Smash Lord
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.

Welcome to the 2B support thread.

2B is the heroine of NieR: Automata. She is a combat android of the YoRHa infantry. Calm, collected, and resolute, she lets nothing stand in her way. Her primary weapons are a one-handed sword, a two-handed sword, spears, and combat bracers. She can also fire from a distance using her assistant Pod, as well as use her Pod to glide. Her most unique feature is the blindfold-esque visor she wears.

NieR: Automata takes place on a post-apocalyptic Earth, where alien machines wreak havoc. Forced to take refuge on the Moon, humanity sends the YoRHa combat androids to battle the mysterious invaders. 2B's story begins when her assault team is wiped out, leaving her to fend for herself.

Personally, I'm hoping NieR: Automata gets ported to the Switch. PlatinumGames said that if Square Enix provides the funds, they'll do it. If that happens, I'm supporting the hell out of 2B, as I think she would be very unique, in terms of moveset. Since we already have one Square Enix character (Cloud), and one Platinum character (Bayonetta), it may very well happen.

For what it counts, Sakurai has shown interest in NieR: Automata. Yoko Taro, director of NieR: Automata, also wants to see the game on the Switch. Lastly, 2B's appearance in Soul Calibur VI has shown that Square Enix is willing to give her cameo appearances.

Source Gaming | “Thinking Outside the Box” — Sakurai’s Famitsu Column Vol. 526
Nintendo Life | NieR: Automata Director Yoko Taro Really Wants To See The Game On Nintendo Switch

And before someone shouts, "inb4lock!!" 2B has appeared in Phantasy Star Online 2 (released for multiple platforms, including the Switch) as an alternate costume. So strictly speaking, she does meet the unwritten rule of "Thou Shalt have Originated from a Video Game and appeared on Nintendo".

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Premium
3DS FC
4682-8443-7371
NNID
DidactualSpartan
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
And before someone shouts, "inb4lock!!" 2B has appeared in Phantasy Star Online 2 (released for multiple platforms, including the Switch) as an alternate costume. So strictly speaking, she does meet the unwritten rule of "Thou Shalt have Originated from a Video Game and appeared on Nintendo".

The rules got updated last week
anyway so even without PSO2 she's fine for a thread.

Anyway:
2B was one of my favourite characters last year alongside some of her co-stars like Eve, 9S and A2. Absolutely support her.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
Premium
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I’ve entertained the idea of her ever since Bayonetta’s inclusion and getting similarly acquainted with her game last year. Support.

3DS FC
1693-0975-8307
NNID
Shake_King
Not saying this as any means of insult, but rather out of sheer curiosity.

Why exactly has 2B become such a hot topic across different communities? I've seen people lobby for her in not only Smash, but in other games like Tekken (before Noctis was revealed as the last DLC guest).

Has 2B, and by proxy, Nier: Automata itself, made such a major breakthrough in gaming history, or does her popularity mainly have to do with her *** like I've seen many memes about?
Again, not trying to be insulting. I just want to understand.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
NNID
OpossumGuy

Why exactly has 2B become such a hot topic across different communities? I've seen people lobby for her in not only Smash, but in other games like Tekken (before Noctis was revealed as the last DLC guest).

Has 2B, and by proxy, Nier: Automata itself, made such a major breakthrough in gaming history, or does her popularity mainly have to do with her *** like I've seen many memes about?
Nier Automata has definitely had a major impact. He performed incredibly well and I see nothing but praise for both its writing and gameplay. I'd say it's definitely more than just sex appeal.

Altais

Smash Lord
I'm surprised anyone replied--and this quickly. Most threads I make die pretty young.

To get one thing out of the way, I like a character for his/her personality--first and foremost. And I've always had an affinity for the cool-headed types.

Personally, I can usually tell whether or not I'll like a game just by watching the gameplay videos. That said, I really like NieR: Automata as a game. From what I've seen of it (haven't actually played it, sadly), it has a challenging combat system, a unique open world, and a quirky story. Also, I like the Galaga-esque stages. I had no idea the game was so popular until after I got into it. I like a game for it's mechanics, not its theme, reputation, or whatever. Games are very much like books, in that best-selling doesn't necessarily mean good.

The reason I chose 2B is because she seems to be the most important character, storywise. That said, I'd settle for 9S, if it was the other way around. Unlike most people, I'm simply much more governed by mine mind rather than mine heart. That said, mine interest in 2B has nothing to do with body parts, but rather moveset potential. Though, I have to admit, I find her outfit to be very stylish. I especially like blindfold-esque visor; it adds mystery. If I thought she would be another Marth or whatever, I would not have posted this thread. The reason I thought she would be great in Smash is quite simple: her Pod. That alone gives her a unique gimmick. For instance, the Pod could stun the enemy with bullets, while 2B moves in for the kill. If the enemy is shielding, then the Pod could grab them. I don't know what else the Pod can do, since again, I haven't yet played NieR: Automata. But it would be no exaggeration to say that is the sole reason 2B gained mine support as a Smash candidate.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
Premium
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, the mixed style of genres was mainly what first drew me to the game through playing the demo, though have yet to buy and play it all the way through, but is on my list of one of the first single player games to get next whenever I’m in the mindset to fully complete something like that. I waited a little while before getting the Bayonetta collection and then grinded the hell out of 2; I imagine it’ll be a similar thing with Nier.

If I consistently enjoy the gameplay of something, stuff like sex appeal usually takes a backseat for me before long, no pun intended with 2B’s butt. To be fair though, I can see why her *** has gotten some of the attention it has when it even has real-time water drying mechanics like everything else in the game with that kind of attention to detail. =p

PsychoJosh

Smash Lord
Has this game been on a Nintendo system?

I mean her design is pretty nice and unique, and I know a tiny bit about the character, but I don't know much about her game.

Altais

Smash Lord
Has this game been on a Nintendo system?

I mean her design is pretty nice and unique, and I know a tiny bit about the character, but I don't know much about her game.
As of now, it is only available for the PS4 and PC. But I'm hoping it will get ported to the Switch. Again, Platinum said they would do it, if Square Enix provided the funds.

I've just added a video to the original post, to give others an idea as to how 2B would work.

I think 2B would have a better chance if Neir: AutoMata was on the Switch. But Nintendo is on good terms with both Square Enix and Platinum Games (hence the inclusions of Cloud and Bayonetta) so I don't want to count things out quite yet.

:171:

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
NNID
Shinuto
2B would be kickass as utterly unlikely she is.

her Pod, her swords and bracers and spears, her pod abilities, various chips and her Final Smash would be her self destruct.

Oh, a 2B support topic exists.

I love NieR: Automata, I consider it one of the greatest games ever made. 2B is my #1 most-wanted third party newcomer and my #3 most-wanted overall. I doubt it will actually happen, but I would absolutely go insane if it did.

When NieR: Automata was announced coming to Xbox One I thought for sure a Switch port was imminent...and then nothing. The most disappointed I've ever been that a port of a game I've already played isn't coming (at least not yet).

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I’ll support 2B.

Nier: Automata seems like a very interesting game and 2B’s design and character already is interesting. Though, I’m not sure if Sakurai will include her, which I think is unfortunately unlikely, but if she does get in I’d be stoked.

Mistaros

Smash Cadet
I totally support 2B for smash ultimate. Nier automata was one of the greatest game of 2017 for me.
And I want A2 too, she would easily work as an echo fighter or an alt.
At least, I want to use A2's taunts, especially the large sword one.

NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Count me in as a Supporter! I've yet to play Nier Automata (I'm waiting on a Switch port since I barely have time to play at home, and Yoko Taro keeps saying that he wants the game on Switch), but I love her design and character from what I've seen of her.

Altais

Smash Lord
This crossover fanart is pretty awesome.

Mistaros

Smash Cadet
Time to up this thead.

I was watching the keef crew video about sora, that was posted. And one of the arguments you see a lot on the internet and was in this video too, is that each developer should/will have a second rep at least. For the Square Enix rep everyone is about Geno, sora or Zack it seems. But what if this second rep is 2b (A2 echo, I can dream).

- It's a game Sakurai played and loved (https://sourcegaming.info/2017/03/15/thinking-outside-the-box-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-526/)
- the release date for the game is old enough so he could have made changes to the roster plan and still have the one year needed to create a character from scratch in smash bros
- It's a Platinum x Square Enix character and Nintendo is quite in good terms with both
- Yoko Taro seems to want a switch version of the game (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glnMcKQ2IAI)
- The character is popular. And in Japan, we have this recent poll (https://i.imgtc.com/COf52oG.jpg)

And in my opinion, this is one of the game that will be remembered as a major work in the video games industry.
I'm clearly not on the geno, sora or zack train for personal reasons, so I was searching which character I would prefer and if it was possible.

All this are not evidences but things I want to highlight. I think 2B is a possibility that should not be underestimated.

NNID
FirestormNeos
idk if this has already been asked, but what would you folks want out of a 2B moveset? Asking this because when I played the game to the end...

...the ending where you get into a gunfight with the end credits over your save file.

...and I only ever used the default sword weapon and the charge attack that has your assistant fire a lazer, so any moveset I'd come up would run the risk of 2B feeling a bit... "derivative."

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Lord
I would love this, but I know it's next to impossible outside of DLC. That said, this is for fun speculation, not for silly things like "realism"!

First off, there's a question of whether 2B should be in Smash in the first place. Right now, I would say no. However, if Automata were ported to Switch (maybe with a bonus Replicant port, eh?) I would instantly be the loudest and most emphatic "yes" of all time.

Some people may question why - after all, she's a recent character who doesn't have the cultural prominence of a lot of older third-parties like Banjo or even Sora, and my answer is pretty simple.

Nier Automata is one of the greatest games of all time.

Sure, maybe that seems flimsy or subjective, but anyone who has played Automata can attest to how it uses the medium of videogames to create a wholly unique, beautiful, artistic experience that ONLY could have been told in videogame form. Anything that claims to celebrate videogame history, in my eyes, has to have something from Automata to.feel complete. Again, I know how bold a claim that is and I'm sure anyone who hasn't played it sees this as a premature "bandwagon" pick because it's "relevant" but it's just how I see it.

That said, I'm kind of a "must have appeared on a Nintendo platform in some capacity" purist, so I'll wait til the Switch port but you better believe I'll be at the forefront of the army when it happens.

Also, an A2 echo and 9S assist trophy would be wonderful.

Mistaros

Smash Cadet
For the moveset, right now, I have some ideas but I should replay the game a little too make a good one that makes sense.
But I think the general idea should be A-attack weapons and B-attacks the pod.
But clearly the taunts will be awesome ;)

That said, this is for fun speculation, not for silly things like "realism"!
I agree. This time a lot of wishlist wants to be realisable, but we are talking about Sakurai and he is unpredictable.

NineS

Smash Lord
Not dead, avoiding spoilers. 2B Fan. 2B. 2̤͋ͅB̊ͭͦͤ

I think you know why I'm here. Sign me up! 2B or not 2B, I want it 2B!

I don't think she'll make it base-game, but we already know this game is getting DLC.
For what it's worth, aside from NieR: Automata's spike and continuing popularity since it's release, and immense growth in fans both here in the West and in Japan, might I add another thing?

The fact that she's a mature character doesn't hurt her chances at all. Yoko Taro has definitely expressed interest in getting 2B into smash, and getting NieR: Automata on the switch! Might I add the game she originates from was made mostly by Platinum Games, just like Bayonetta? Her source game was never on a Nintendo console, and she's owned by Square Enix, just like Cloud, yet she still technically follows the rule of appearing on a Nintendo console! There's also a pretty high chance her base game is 2B on a Nintendo console at some point in the future too!
She's got my vote!

EDIT 1: I know this is probably asking for too much, but I'd kill for an A2 alt and an 9S Echo.

EDIT 2: I would like to add this

Of the 153 Sakurai follows, Yoko Taro is one of them. And Yoko Taro is following Sakurai back.

EDIT 3: Couple all of this with the fact that, extremely reliable smash leaker Vergeben claims there's a Square Enix rep. Judging from what he says, there's a possibility it may but Geno, but also that it may be a Square Enix rep people wouldn't see coming and is hardly talked about. . . While this could probably mean anyone, that isn't to say that it isn't possibly 2B, with how massively popular NieR: Automata has become.

EDIT 4:
Basically, her fundamental combat in Nier Automata is insanely fast paced with huge far-reaching attacks on top of potent ranged weaponry.
Imagine trying to put Bayonetta into Street Fighter.

Characters like Bayonetta, 2B, Dante, and Raiden fit more in fighters that emphasize movement like MvC or anime fighters or heck, even Smash, where they're given more room to show off their flashy attacks.
This is a quote from a conversation about the possibility about 2B being in Soul Calibur VI, due to Vergeben commenting on that the possibility would be extremely likely. I figured this fit well to show that, like Bayonetta, her moves would translate extremely well into a Smash moveset. I just hope that it doesn't actually become another Bayonetta.

EDIT 5:
Day 287, Year 2X18.
Alone. Dark. Cold. I've been alone for I don't know how long now. I don't know If I'm going to make it past another two months... Why hast thou forsaken me?

EDIT 6: Things have certainly turned around since my last edit. My hopes have exceeded levels I never knew they could even reach.

This is Flash Man's stage theme from Mega Man 2.
The "Arrangement Supervisor" is Keiichi Okabe, one of, if not, the lead composer of NieR: Automata, Nier, and Drakengard 3.

Last edited: