• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

270 Degrees: The Hitboxes of Luigi's Meteor Smashes

Toomai

Smash Ace
Alright then, this is my first post here in a very long time, so I hope I'm not treading on a dead subject or anything. Still, I think this kind of thing is useful to newbies and possibly even vetrans, and it's possible I may get enough positive feedback to continue this kind of hitbox stuff, so here goes.

As you probably know, Luigi has two moves that can spike opponents down into the abyss (not counting the d-taunt). Thing is, he doesn't seem to like this (he's rather send 'em upwards, preferably on fiyah), so he hides his meteors with other hitboxes. So, to aid people in their quest to surprise opponents with unexpected gravity shots, here are the hitboxes (yeah okay, they're spheres/bubbles, so what) of both attacks.

Let's start off with the down tilt:

(larger version)
As you can probably tell, the biggest hitbox acts differently than the other two. The star indicates that this hitbox uses the Sakurai angle (which is obviously not a Meteor Smash). So if you want the Meteor Smash, you have to hit with one of the two smaller bubbles. And since the bigger one is coded as having an ID of 0, it's the one that hits if someone is hit by multiple bubbles at once. (Note: These are the hitboxes on aerial opponents. Grounded opponents are Meteor Smashed on all three hitboxes, but since they're on the ground, they'll fly up instead of down.)

So there's the dirt on how to hit with that attack. Now for the good ol' dair:

(larger version)
See the bubble in the middle? That's the Meteor Smash. The other two hit at "normal" angles. But that's not all - the meteor bubble has an ID of 2. This means that the other two bubbles (IDs of 0 and 1) will always win out if multiple bubbles connect at once.

So, the question is: how do you aim the dair to meteor? You have to connect with only the middle hitbox - hitting with any of the rest of it will cause a "normal" launch. This leaves the sweetspot - the largest viable area - at the area below Luigi's right elbow and beside his right knee. The top hitbox is attached to Luigi's hip while the other two are attached to his right leg, so while he spins, the sweetspot will change what side it's on.

Hopefully this post has helped you with your meteor spacing. Of course, there are times you'd rather knock the target sideways, but this should help with that as well.

EDIT (14/09/10):

By popular demand:

(larger version)

Supermik884

Smash Rookie
Thanks, this will help me. I think I could even say that the best way to meteor smash someone with dtilt is when facing back and when he grabbed the edge an try to climd up.

AxelPurpleMissle

Smash Journeyman
You should of made the star another color. I didn't understand what you ment about the bubbles, I only see 3 in each pic, or i just guess im seeing it wrong xd. Maybe if you can get a video, like a VERY specific way on how to connect it (hitbox) then that will really help.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
Dang, no more "I don't know what part of dair to hit with so I won't use it or practice spiking with it" johns....

Axel, he means basically hit with the bubbles without the stars to spike. The dair spike hitbox is the area between his right elbow and his right knee, so if you want to spike without jumping at them backwards, you'll have to time your spin so that your right side faces him.

I hope I'm not mistaken?

Also, this needs sticky

TreK

Is "that guy"
I kinda learned how to spike by myself, but this is definitely useful for the newer Luigi mains, good job :o

Toomai

Smash Ace
Axel, he means basically hit with the bubbles without the stars to spike. The dair spike hitbox is the area between his right elbow and his right knee, so if you want to spike without jumping at them backwards, you'll have to time your spin so that your right side faces him.

I hope I'm not mistaken?
This is pretty much it.

Of course, you can still succeed with that tiny bit sticking out of the other side. But really, the bigger area is what you're looking for.

AxelPurpleMissle

Smash Journeyman
Ahh ok thanks you two hehehe. I really dont plan on doing these when the time comes, I just randomly do it haha. (has videos)

Roxer

Smash Rookie
thanks this help me out a bit... but I dont understend the first one, I'm just asking if luigi have any meteor smash???? and you show me that he is but... IT WOULD BE BETTER IF YOU HAVE ANY VID??? a video to show that in a better way??

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
My dair spiking with Luigi has increased by roughly 8000%!
But thats mainly because I started actually using dair....

AxelPurpleMissle

Smash Journeyman
We should keep on discussing this...And also the down taunt. When exactly TO time it at all stages. (Tourney stages, counter picks too.)

Toomai

Smash Ace
Down taunt, eh? I'll get the image together tomorrow probably, but until then here's the data: It's a size 3, meaing it's a bit smaller than the dair's smallest hitbox (it's a 3.3). It hits on frame 45 (and only frame 45) and isn't attached to Luigi's leg; it's manually positioned to be at about his sole.

Also, the hitbox is programmed to hit once every 8 frames for some strange reason.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
Toomai, I ****ing love you. No homo. If there was a rep system or something I'd +rep you like 200 times.

Top Bottom