• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

20XX Tournament Edition Now Available!

After months of waiting, the highly anticipated Melee mod by Dan Salvato is out! 20XX Tournament Edition not only includes a wide variety of features, but it can power up an entire venue with one memory card.

The Best Melee Yet

20XX Tournament Edition includes many unique aspects to create the ultimate Melee experience. Some new features include:

• Replays: Save match replays after a match by pressing Z on the character select screen. This feature is extremely useful for studying matches and capturing high quality tournament sets.
  • Designed to Copy: With the ability to copy GameCube memory card save data, one 20XXTE memory card or save file can fuel an entire tournament.
  • Frozen Mode: Disables Shy Guys on Yoshi's Story, Wind on Dreamland 64, background transitions on Final Destinations, the barrel on Kongo Jungle 64, and the transformations on Pokémon Stadium.
  • Extended Name Entry: Name tags can now be as long as characters, including lowercase letters.
  • Taunt Battle: A new game mode where players duke it out in teams to taunt the most as Mario!
  • Tournament Mode: Disables all features that would be interfere with tournaments. Additionally, settings can be locked in to avoid tampering.
A full list of features with detailed explanations can be found here.

Download/Install

20XX Tournament Edition is compatible with a normal copy of Melee on the GameCube/Wii, Wii Homebrew, and Dolphin. A download and full installation guides for 20XXTE can be found here. Enjoy playing 20XX Tournament Edition, and a very special thank you to Dan Salvato for creating this incredible modification!

Comments

Am I the only one who feels like 20XX:TE is a little...illegitimate? Like, he basically stole the concept for Achilles' project, just making it a little prettier and adding some (admittedly impressive) new features. Not to mention that they're selling the memory cards with the codes on them. Yes, I know that they make the codes and such available online, but I feel like they should've just developed a Wii homebrew app to simplify transferring the hacked save to a memory card in the first place. I dunno. While this is certainly exciting, it just really rubs me the wrong way, ya know?

Last edited:
Am I the only one who feels like 20XX:TE is a little...illegitimate? Like, he basically stole the concept for Achilles' project, just making it a little prettier and adding some (admittedly impressive) new features. Not to mention that they're selling the memory cards with the codes on them. Yes, I know that they make the codes and such available online, but I feel like they should've just developed a Wii homebrew app to simplify transferring the hacked save to a memory card in the first place. I dunno. While this is certainly exciting, it just really rubs me the wrong way, ya know?
Yes, you are the only one. Just enjoy the game boy, it took a hard work and tons of hours from it to properly run just to be called "illegitimate".

This surely won't be used on big tourneys tho right? Like nationals for example... Nintendo won't be fond of the modding of their game one bit. So at the end the whole "Frozen mode thing" its a bit out of place because you will still need to deal with those things on an actual big tourney.

Replays feature is amazing tho! I just dont want people to risk it das all.

Yes, you are the only one. Just enjoy the game boy, it took a hard work and tons of hours from it to properly run just to be called "illegitimate".
It's impressive and all, but I just feel like it stole Achilles' thunder is all. After all, this does a lot of the same stuff.

D
>"Yes, you are the only one"
Speak for yourself this early on in a post's life-span. You'll save face.

The 20XX Hack Pack is for training. It has alternate costumes and a bunch of other customizable options so you can work on tech skill and crap like that. More details here.

20XX:TE is more fit for tournaments themselves. (hence the 'Tournament Edition') It's easier for it to be distributed since it's a save file on a memory card
(89KB/90KB) rather than a hacked/patched ISO(about 1.4GB).

Also, TE can be played on non-modded Wiis/Gamccubes.

Oh, and you
can transfer the save file to a memory card with GCMM.

I could go way more in detail, but I'll just leave you with the About page and the FAQ page from the 20XX:TE website.
(Scroll down on the about page for the change list.)

Well they should use sd remix so it won't be Fox Fox Fox all the time. The lower tier would have a much better chance.
You mean like Meta Knight Meta Knight Meta Knight all the time in Brawl? Melee isn't quite there yet. If Fox was insanely broken, like Meta Knight in Brawl (which is why that game died), he would have been banned a long time ago. Even if it does get there, SD remix is gonna have to be A LOT bigger before it gets mainstream use.

And by the way, lower tiers are never gonna have a chance in any Smash game. Neither Smash game is balanced enough for that. The tools of the top tiers convert so many characters into unviable-status. Sakurai was more focused on making a more casual and easily accessible fighting game than making a super-balanced.

Last edited:
You mean like Meta Knight Meta Knight Meta Knight all the time in Brawl? Melee isn't quite there yet. If Fox was insanely broken, like Meta Knight in Brawl (which is why that game died), he would have been banned a long time ago. Even if it does get there, SD remix is gonna have to be A LOT bigger before it gets mainstream use.

And by the way, lower tiers are never gonna have a chance in any Smash game. Neither Smash game is balanced enough for that. The tools of the top tiers convert so many characters into unviable-status. Sakurai was more focused on making a more casual and easily accessible fighting game than making a super-balanced.
Umm where did meta knight come from lol? I don't play brawl. It's dead don't know why you randomly brought it up. Also there's project m where almost every character is viable.

Last edited:
Umm where did meta knight come from lol? I don't play brawl. It's dead don't know why you randomly brought it up. Also there's project m where almost every character is viable.
You said Melee was just Fox Fox Fox, which isn't true, and that's exactly what happened in Brawl, it was just Meta Knight Meta Knight Meta Knight.

And it's too bad that Nintendo killed Project M.

Project M never died, all the streamers just moved to Hitbox and it has its own tourneys. If it got killed, we wouldn't still be getting articles about it.
Maybe it's more that PM is on life support. Hitbox doesn't have nearly the same amount of popularity as Twitch. And Project M's popularity has drastically declined since Nintendo intervened. I don't see it being around much longer.

This is a bit misinformed. They're both great coders, and they both share code with one another and help each other. Neither of them are stealing each other's thunder or ideas. It's a great mod in that the replay functions can toggle hitboxes, input display, and has slowdown, speedup, and frame advance capability. Top notch quality if you ask me. Sure it's a bit more barebones that the other 20XX but that's because it runs off the memory card without needing other modification (which captures a much larger demographic as some people are uncomfortable with the idea of homebrew and modding). Please don't detract from Dan's work. It's a very important release for the melee community.

PM might have declined or not, can't confirm but it is still fine. I forgot what the issue with Twitch is, Nintendo or someone pulling it? Which does ruin a lot of this if t's not there.

For which to be used at tournaments, 20XX would be used if anything could be taken. At larger tournaments...yeah no not even a mod like this would be used since it would be a "hack/mod" area which is a big no no, also don't bring up counter strike or DOTA I know. For locals and smaller events I can see this being used just for the extra stuff it offers.

Brawl fell off/died because of more than just Metaknight but he was an additional reason.

Still this mod looks cool, I'll give it a look at.

Last edited:
D
We should definitely adopt this as the tournament standard. It makes things run smoother.

I'll be distributing this and have our locals use it.

The 20XX Hack Pack is for training. It has alternate costumes and a bunch of other customizable options so you can work on tech skill and crap like that. More details here.

20XX:TE is more fit for tournaments themselves. (hence the 'Tournament Edition') It's easier for it to be distributed since it's a save file on a memory card
(89KB/90KB) rather than a hacked/patched ISO(about 1.4GB).

Also, TE can be played on non-modded Wiis/Gamccubes.

Oh, and you
can transfer the save file to a memory card with GCMM.

I could go way more in detail, but I'll just leave you with the About page and the FAQ page from the 20XX:TE website.
(Scroll down on the about page for the change list.)
Not many people know but SD Remix can be distributed via memory cards as well now.

http://sdremix.com/installation/sd-remix-lite-instructions/

Massive post(s) incoming to address people's questions/misinformed thoughts on 20XXTE:

It's not illegitimate at all. 20XXTE is specifically catered to players who want to use some of 20XX's features but don't have the means to do so.

Before you accuse Dan of stepping on Achilles toes, you should know that both of them worked heavily on TE. There's no 'stolen concept' here, as it's merely a translation of an already popular concept. This is a crude example, but think of how pianos were so expensive back in the day, and now we can download apps on our phones or software to emulate the abilities of a piano for free. They key thing is that TE is more accessible.

So which is better this or sd remix?
SD Remix is an entirely different project that modifies the lower-tier characters of Melee. They aren't really comparable.

the video said we can order a memory card, where do we do that?
Dan was offering players the option to pre-order mem cards pre-loaded with 20XXTE before release. Dan isn't doing that anymore. If you want 20XXTE, download it from his website at http://www.20xx.me/ or copy the modified save file from a friend.

This surely won't be used on big tourneys tho right? Like nationals for example... Nintendo won't be fond of the modding of their game one bit. So at the end the whole "Frozen mode thing" its a bit out of place because you will still need to deal with those things on an actual big tourney.

20XXTE can be used in big tournaments and probably will. We've already seen tournaments adapt alternate ways of playing Melee, such as booting backups of it or using Melee mods like 20XX or the Community Build. Even EVO 2014's top 8 was running on a Wii with a slightly modified Melee though DIOS-MIOS.

It's impressive and all, but I just feel like it stole Achilles' thunder is all. After all, this does a lot of the same stuff.
Dan didn't steal the idea from Achilles whatsoever. Both of them (along with others) worked on 20XXTE.

PM might have declined or not, can't confirm but it is still fine. I forgot what the issue with Twitch is, Nintendo or someone pulling it? Which does ruin a lot of this if t's not there.

For which to be used at tournaments, 20XX would be used if anything could be taken. At larger tournaments...yeah no not even a mod like this would be used since it would be a "hack/mod" area which is a big no no, also don't bring up counter strike or DOTA I know. For locals and smaller events I can see this being used just for the extra stuff it offers.

Brawl fell off/died because of more than just Metaknight but he was an additional reason.

Still this mod looks cool, I'll give it a look at.
Twitch denied any channel with a sub-button to stream Project M due to potential lawsuits with Nintendo.
Nintendo still hasn't said anything officially on the matter. Whether they can legally take action against PM right now is another question, since Project M is derivative work.

Playing and making mods isn't illegal. Selling mods is illegal though. Gaining money from subs by playing a modded game is close enough to selling mods according to Twitch, so they stopped allowing channels with a sub-button to stream the mod.

You said Melee was just Fox Fox Fox, which isn't true, and that's exactly what happened in Brawl, it was just Meta Knight Meta Knight Meta Knight.

And it's too bad that Nintendo killed Project M.
Nintendo didn't kill Project M. Nobody did. It was just the fear of legal issues that resulted in some questionable measures to avoid lawsuits.

How difficult/easy is it to mod Melee? This looks like a fun thing to do when I'm bored.
It depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to do. You can start with writing some simple static overwrites or delve into unexplored territory like figuring out animation structs for models. A general knowledge of assembly and hex editing is really all you need to get started, and there's tons of resources in the Melee Workshop.

We should definitely adopt this as the tournament standard. It makes things run smoother.

I'll be distributing this and have our locals use it.
Adopting this as tournament standard would take a lot of time and resources. At most, I hope it doesn't become a replacement to vanilla Melee, but an alternate, tournament viable option to vanilla Melee.

This is a bit misinformed. They're both great coders, and they both share code with one another and help each other. Neither of them are stealing each other's thunder or ideas. It's a great mod in that the replay functions can toggle hitboxes, input display, and has slowdown, speedup, and frame advance capability. Top notch quality if you ask me. Sure it's a bit more barebones that the other 20XX but that's because it runs off the memory card without needing other modification (which captures a much larger demographic as some people are uncomfortable with the idea of homebrew and modding). Please don't detract from Dan's work. It's a very important release for the melee community.
Thank you for writing this. While 20XXTE isn't exactly 'new' in the world of Melee hacking (The 'Crazy Mod' has been around for quite some time now), lots of features it possesses are. Replays are a HUGE addition to 20XXTE, and that alone hasn't been considered possible until earlier this year.

Well they should use sd remix so it won't be Fox Fox Fox all the time. The lower tier would have a much better chance.
First off, Melee isn't "Fox Fox Fox" all the time. While SDR certainly has it's merits, making it the tournament standard is kinda outlandish. SDR is it's own game/mod with it's own mechanics and overall design changes.

I don't think nintendo has much interference with big tourneys, thankfully so.

D
Adopting this as tournament standard would take a lot of time and resources. At most, I hope it doesn't become a replacement to vanilla Melee, but an alternate, tournament viable option to vanilla Melee.
Well I mean, eventually as time goes on it'll reach a point where enough copies would have gone around that won't be. I don't expect it to be a standard early on, but I feel this is a step in the right direction for the scene.

Hbox literally just beat Armada with jigglypuff. You don't know anything.
It's amusing to me that people keep claiming that competitive Melee is Fox-only. You'd think people who wanted to post in a thread having to do specifically with Melee would have cleared up at least such a basic misconception as that.

Actually, I've heard it said that Melee's relative dearth of viable characters is part of the reason for its strength as a competitive game. The theory goes that having fewer characters to worry about on a high level makes it easier to dig deep into the particulars of common matchups, rather than having to be able to handle a lot of different matchups cursorily as in Project M and Sm4sh. If I recall correctly, this is also the reason why Rivals of Aether will only have eight characters.

Top Bottom