• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

20KK - New Bowser Meta

Smash Rookie
Feel free to post new findings, question findings, and experiment with other's findings.

I lab with bowser pretty often and as my favorite nintendo rep im salty hes **** tier, but heres some of my findings and tactics.

-DJ/FJ nair autocancels, utilize it!! , i use this into uptilt for some risky but well needed platform pressure.

-With the lack of safe approach options you better get pretty damn good movement in neutral. Mixup DD Wavesurfing, and SH wavelands with shield stops, always be prepared to WD out or up B out of shield.

-Edgecancel some aerials too, SH dair is extremely easy to edgecancel due to how it raises your height significantly, use this for mixups, mindgames and platform tech punishes.

->100% ledge get up attack usually always combos into bair,which usually combos into victory. the sweetspot to get the bair in is to have them land into the getup attack towards the ledge. When you have the ledge keep you invincibility with ledge drop > DJ regrab (completely invincible if timed right iirc) to force a recovery on to stage, and unless they are close to the stage their up b should land them close enouhg to the edge to combo into bair.

-upb out of shield and slide off to grab ledge in close quarters/

-this koopas got a pretty huge triangle dash, utilize it.. ie; dodge marths sword and falcos lasers

-dont spotdodge.....ever

-use bair to cover phantasms on stage or missed recovery sweetspots, edgecancel it to grab ledge to force another easily punishable on stage recovery.

i can continue but idk how much anyone cares. any comments are appreciated!

E-102 Gamma

Smash Journeyman
Good explanations, but I don't think any of this is new.

What's "wavesurfing," though? I don't think I've heard that term before.

Smash Rookie
Good explanations, but I don't think any of this is new.

What's "wavesurfing," though? I don't think I've heard that term before.
ok u caught me im new to the boards game over

wavesurfing is p fresh
its basically dash>wavedash
but the sooner u cancel the dash with the wavedash, the more extra momentum your wavedash has, making multiple charcaters wavedash quicker and cover more distance.
its great in neutral, PPMDs falco sometimes cancels the dash on like frame 1 or some**** and can glides pretty far compared to his wd

Ministry

Smash Ace
User was warned for this post
so there is this super sick bowser technology and all u have to say is, "ehhh maybe they will grab release in the air on purpose"
such a ****er

there are answers to everything, but that doesn't mean its not good.

oh and your welcome.

documentary kids...

Last edited:

E-102 Gamma

Smash Journeyman
Rude.

That said, Bowser's grab release isn't actually that useful. It's mostly just a silly thing. It does have its uses, such as when you've grabbed your opponent while they're standing over the ledge, but beyond that, simply up- or down-throwing into a tech chase is usually the better option.

Last edited:

A Stuffy Muffin

Smash Cadet
Feel free to post new findings, question findings, and experiment with other's findings.

I lab with bowser pretty often and as my favorite nintendo rep im salty hes **** tier, but heres some of my findings and tactics.

-DJ/FJ nair autocancels, utilize it!! , i use this into uptilt for some risky but well needed platform pressure.

-With the lack of safe approach options you better get pretty damn good movement in neutral. Mixup DD Wavesurfing, and SH wavelands with shield stops, always be prepared to WD out or up B out of shield.

-Edgecancel some aerials too, SH dair is extremely easy to edgecancel due to how it raises your height significantly, use this for mixups, mindgames and platform tech punishes.

->100% ledge get up attack usually always combos into bair,which usually combos into victory. the sweetspot to get the bair in is to have them land into the getup attack towards the ledge. When you have the ledge keep you invincibility with ledge drop > DJ regrab (completely invincible if timed right iirc) to force a recovery on to stage, and unless they are close to the stage their up b should land them close enouhg to the edge to combo into bair.

-upb out of shield and slide off to grab ledge in close quarters/

-this koopas got a pretty huge triangle dash, utilize it.. ie; dodge marths sword and falcos lasers

-dont spotdodge.....ever

-use bair to cover phantasms on stage or missed recovery sweetspots, edgecancel it to grab ledge to force another easily punishable on stage recovery.

i can continue but idk how much anyone cares. any comments are appreciated!
I dig it. Dsmash and Nair also cover phantasms but it really depends on what you're trying to set up. I think Usmash covers it too but that's one hell of a read. Gotta learn me some edgecancel shenanigans.

Synnett

Alligator Lord
Guys, Bowser's downsmash completely stops Luigi's misfire lol. Luigi actually get trapped in the hitbox and can't hit Bowser. I use that to edgeguard sometimes.

Also, Ministry have a good point here, this grab release can be useful. Most players won't see it coming, so you can maybe get 2-4 grab releases, which can be quite useful. Remember, Bowser is all about reads, there is nothing consistent about him. Having a wider arsenal can only be useful, because Boozer tends to get predictable after a while. Don't close your mind to new ideas, the fact is that we still know close to nothing about this character, and this issue is what keeps a ton of characters in the dark. I'm ready to try anything found to improve Bowser - sometime it's the unusual things that improves the stuff.

And guys, watch that video it's friggin great. You get like a 10 frames advantage when releasing someone from a grab.

Kalimari

Smash Cadet
the regrab release is def solid but not new. it's a great mindgame to get in ur opponent's head. usually someone in grab yells out "JUST HOLD UP" and by the time the guy hears it you've already dthrown or whatever. It's great against floaties because you don't get anything off grabs anyway. against fast fallers i just go for the throw.

Top Bottom