• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2014 or 2015

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
this seems to be the consensus of the expected release date, but imo seems to long of a development cycle and don't see any reason a game like this could not come out this year or very early 2014 esp when the game does not even have to be made from scratch

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
I'm saying end of 2014 at the earliest. This game is gonna be huge, it needs a large amount of time

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
I hope it's 2015. More time means more polish. Less cut content, much more fleshed out ideas. Overall better game.
Also I doubt the game will come out so quick. 2014 seems unlikely because there are two versions. Which I'm sure Sakurai won't let release without being his perfect vision. And if I remember right Nintendo gives Sakurai a lot of freedom. Such as the ability to do whatever he wanted with Mario's design when they have VERY strict rules about the use and alteration of the Mario model. If Sakurai said "It's not ready." Nintendo, probably specifically Iwata, would say "Okay."

:phone:

•Col•

Smash Champion
Late 2013 doesn't seem like an unreasonable estimate, imo. If the game is delayed (wouldn't be surprised) I could see a spring-summer 2014 release.

So, When Does it Release?

This brings us to our last point of interest: the timetable of development and release. When is the game going to come out? 2013? 2014? 2015? This is what we know so far. The original Super Smash Bros came out near the end of the N64 lifespan in January 1999. The Gamecube was released in November of 2001 and Super Smash Bros Melee debuted within the launch window, in December 2001. That means it was in development for a little under two years. Work on Super Smash Bros Brawl began halfway through 2005. It ended in January 2008. That’s about two and a half years. So let’s assume a new Smash Bros game takes around 2 years, give or take a few months, to complete. Iwata announced the latest Super Smash Bros half-way through 2011. Development didn’t really begin until March 2012 but we can assume there had been plenty of discussion of the direction and the intial planning stages. Sakurai said that characters don’t get decided upon early on until the core gameplay system is complete. So, when was that? Luckily, he shared that with us. On August 7th, Sakurai revealed that the “gameplay system” was complete. That means that intial design decisions and the project document had been drawn up over a year, 2011-2012. The core gameplay system was developed over six months in 2012. So, what’s left? A lot. The core fighting system will power two separate games on both Wii U and 3DS. There are characters to create, with their full skillsets and moves. The levels have to be created. The game must be balanced. There are a Sakurai-amount of collectables to be designed and littered across the game. And the man is a perfectionist. He won’t let it release until there’s nothing left to do other than hire Capcom, Konami, and maybe even Sony to join Namco and redesign the game from scratch.

So, with a year and a half of the development process done in August and we’re now approaching February, you can say we’re closing in on the two-year mark. So, how does the rest play out? It can go one of two ways. Either, the game is worked on for another half a year and then comes out for the holiday season 2013. Or Sakurai says he wants more time (like he did when he pushed the Brawl release out of holiday 2007 and into January 2008) and development goes on until an opportune moment in 2014.

Ok, Menashe, give the people a prediction. Fine, fine, you’ve got me cornered. Here’s me saying: Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS to release Holiday Season, this year, 2013. Nintendo won’t let Sakurai delay release because they’ll be needing Smash Bros to counter the holiday season hype for the upcoming systems from Xbox/Sony/Valve and anyone else who might join the competition. You heard it here first. Expect at least a trailer of the game at E3 if not a playable demo. And remember to come back and mock me if I’m wrong.
http://nintendoenthusiast.com/super-smash-bros-wii-u-3ds/

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Kink: Brawl is a delayed game that was half-baked at times when it came to certain content (and there was a lot of 'em).

Still saying that philosophy can be flawed, no matter what.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
I'd like it to be released at early 2014 at the least. I have my reasons. But, I just hope it's polished thoroughly and they take their time.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Brawl was delayed cause of Sonic..
A common misconception; Sonic was arguably one cause of the first delay, but the push of the second one was for unknown reasons that we're left to assume were for "touch-ups."

Also I want to clear up another misconception before it gets out of hand; Brawl is very much a finished game. It is complete and whole, and I, along with others, do not mean to say that the game itself is unfinished. An extra few months to a year of polish, particularly regarding character design, couldn't hurt is all.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
A common misconception; Sonic was arguably one cause of the first delay, but the push of the second one was for unknown reasons that we're left to assume were for "touch-ups."

Also I want to clear up another misconception before it gets out of hand; Brawl is very much a finished game. It is complete and whole, and I, along with others, do not mean to say that the game itself is unfinished. An extra few months to a year of polish, particularly regarding character design, couldn't hurt is all.
Must've been the Earthbound Masterpiece then.. Because the game in Japan was already complete..

Vashimus

Smash Master
Especially when they don't have a development team and the brunt of most of the work is done at the last minute.
There was a development team, they were just fired By 3D Realms after constantly delaying it. After Gearbox took over and finished, it was technically 15 years in the making.

Holiday 2013 sounds crazy to me.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
At least 2014 somewhere. Think even a holiday release would still be early actually.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I predict late 2014, maybe March-April 2015. I think at least ONE area will get it in 2014 though, because, as mentioned: 125th anniversary.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I just dont get why it would take them that long to make a game like this,

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Betting on 2014 in general, Q1/2 to be a bit more specific.

As for the quality, just go out and play Uprising if you're so worried. The game itself, it'll be finished and stand out on it's own in comparison to the rest of the series, this is Sakurai we're talking about.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero

As for the quality, just go out and play Uprising if you're so worried. The game itself, it'll be finished and stand out on it's own in comparison to the rest of the series, this is Sakurai we're talking about.
And what if I found Uprising to be just as sloppily designed as Brawl? Not just hating here, I found the game to have some really problematic design choices regarding weapon acquisition, itemset building, gameplay, and multiplayer functionality and variability. The campaign was alright and the game is properly set up for a handheld though (Whoever the pioneers for these mission-based handhelds like Metal Gear Peace Walker and KH:358/2 day, it was a great idea). It gives just enough incentive to not permanently dismiss the game and come back to it.

Q3 2014 is still the safest "earliest" release to expect and hope for regarding game polish.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I just dont get why it would take them that long to make a game like this,
Because WE! The fans!
Nintendo is surely lurking into the internet to check who and what we want in the next game of the series.
Pleasing as many fans as possible is probably the hardest part of the work, rather than programming it.
And that's why forums like this exist.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
And what if I found Uprising to be just as sloppily designed as Brawl? Not just hating here, I found the game to have some really problematic design choices regarding weapon acquisition, itemset building, gameplay, and multiplayer functionality and variability. The campaign was alright and the game is properly set up for a handheld though (Whoever the pioneers for these mission-based handhelds like Metal Gear Peace Walker and KH:358/2 day, it was a great idea). It gives just enough incentive to not permanently dismiss the game and come back to it.

Q3 2014 is still the safest "earliest" release to expect and hope for regarding game polish.
Yeah I guess you're right, quality is completely subjective. Ex. I like Brawl better than Melee and found Uprising to be amazing.

Also thinking it over, I now agree with Q3 as well.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Q4 2013 absolute minimum
Q3 2014 absolute maximum

I think Q1 or Q2 2014 are the most manageable. Q4 2013 is just my hopes being up due to the highly professional developement team, and Q3 2014 is the hopes squashed due to Sakurai being Sakurai and needing everything Sakurfect.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'd say Q3 2014 as the minimum and Q4 2015 as the maximum, with Q4 2014 being the most likely.

Anything outside the min-max time, while not impossible, is IMO highly unlikely.

Capick

Smash Rookie
I don't see ANY way the game is released this year. Especially with both Wii U and 3DS versions. I would bet my money on Q2 2014 to Q4 2014. Definitely not 2015.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Spring or Summer 2014 for 3DS
& Q4 2014 for WiiU

or they both get released same time in Summer or Q4 2014.

Seriously this makes the most sense.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
It seems really obvious that the two games will be released at the same time, what with all the talk of connectivity and junk. Among other technical things.

I would say... November 2014 to May 2015. The latter is a litte unreasonable but 3.33 years of development time is just a good number, y'know? Also me and Sakurai are chumbuds so he would probably want to release it on my birthday.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
It seems really obvious that the two games will be released at the same time, what with all the talk of connectivity and junk. Among other technical things.

I would say... November 2014 to May 2015.
That is actually my guess too for the release date. Q4 2014 is the earliest I can see it released, and Q2 2015 is the latest I can see it releasing.

I think they will be pushing for a Q4 2014 release date and make Smash 4 their big holiday title for both the 3DS and Wii U.

Every major Wii U title announced so far will have already been released (particularly Mario Kart and 3D Mario) before Q4 2014. Zelda likely won't be released in 2014 seeing as its still in the conceptual stages. The only major thing they have that they could get out for holiday 2014 that would appeal both to the casual and core markets is Smash 4.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

Couldn't agree more
Then you changed your mind. Stand your ground man.

Let's see, if Brawl started development in Oct 05, then it means the game took 28 months max (came out in Jan 2008 in Japan). I'll be conservative and say this game started in March. If it takes 28 months, it will come out in July or August. So, Q2/3 2014. It could come out towards the end too, but I don't think it will miss 2014. We'll see.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Couldn't agree more
Then you changed your mind. Stand your ground man.
I still think that, but I do think it is also true that people can have a different outlook on things. Either way, still am not as wishy-washy as Shortie.

Anyway a lot can be learned from Uprising, the game won't be 64/Melee/Brawl 2.0, betting on Q2/3 2014, etc.

Top Bottom