• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2014 FIFA World Cup discussion and prediction game

Slhoka

Smash Lord
All those quarter finals were surprisingly close. I was a bit sad to see Mexico, Algeria and the US, they played well. Same goes for Chile, even though I'm afraid of what will happen here if/when Brazil will lose.

Anyway, quarterfinals are taking place on friday and saturday... make sure to fill the form in due time ! You can find it here.

As for the current ranking... it's really close. Cyr lost a part of his lead, but he's still in a fairly comfortable position. Behing him, 10 points, 10 people. With 8 predictions left, it's gonna be tight.
By the way, congratulations Rutger, with 17 points in 8 matchs you were the second best scorer this round.

1. Cyr le Bienheureux (85)
2. Aniolas (80)
3. Slhoka (78)
4. Dax (77)
4. Qlex (77)
6. Zephyr (76)
7. yultan (75)
8. Rutger (73)
9. Zyx (71)
9. Meljin (71)
11. Vincent (70)
12. Hara (68)
13. seya (67)
13. Maxattack (67)
15. JiM (66)
16. giggs (64)
16. Scuzz (64)
18. Poilon (61)
19. Armada (60)
20. Eiko (49)
21. Yomi (42)
21. automatic (42)
23. Usleon (33)
24. Isaac (24)
25. Bico (22)
26. MissEclipse (19)
27. Cpt.Love (15)
28. YoloSwag420Blazeit (8)

You can find more details here.

Last edited:

Dax

Smash Journeyman
sorry slhoka, what's the difference between the 4 points blue and the 3 points blue? I'm confused
I put 1-1 in Greece - Costa Rica but it has not been awarded 4 points... ? Is it because I picked Greece as winner? Sorry I can't remember... I thought I put Costa Rica =0

and what is yultan's "1 Greece 1" ?

Last edited:

Slhoka

Smash Lord
sorry slhoka, what's the difference between the 4 points blue and the 3 points blue? I'm confused
I put 1-1 in Greece - Costa Rica but it has not been awarded 4 points... ? Is it because I picked Greece as winner? Sorry I can't remember... I thought I put Costa Rica =0

and what is yultan's "1 Greece 1" ?
Oh, right, I forgot to explain.
What Yultan and a few other people did was what I asked in the instructions, that is to indicate the winner if your prediction is a draw after extra time.

To match the fact that there is a now a winner in every match, I tweaked a bit the scoring system.
If you pick the right winner, you have one point.
If you pick the right difference, you have one additional point.
If you pick the right score, you have two additional points.

This way, I can still give 3 points to those who guessed the actual result in the case of a draw, even if they pick the wrong winner. Same goes in the opposite solution (you guess a draw which doesn't happen, but you pick the right winner), you can get one point.

The issue is that Rutger dans you did not give a winner for the Costa Rica - Greece game. So you have the right score, but not the right winner and you get 3 out of 4 potential points. If you expected Greece to win... that isn't a problem, as you wouldn't have had the additional point. But you may have lost a point in the Belgium - USA match, if you thought Belgium would win.

Anyway, now that there aren't so many matches left, I can enter the scores manually and I could make the system easier in the form, making it clear who's the winner even if there's a draw.

Tottenham

Smash Cadet
By the way, congratulations Rutger, with 17 points in 8 matchs you were the second best scorer this round.
Thanks! :grin:

Matches will be a lot harder to guess on these quarter finals. Besides the Clockwork Orange beating Costa Rica, I don't think there is a favorite for the other three games.

Since the "Super Mario Balotelli" and Italy got chewed out of the competition some time ago, here is my new favorite player left on the World Cup.

Now watch Messi score a hat-trick so Hazard and Lukaku can score a brace each to make the best comeback ever in the history of football.

Anyway, Good Luck everyone!

Last edited:

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Mexico had that game damn it. I predicted the Netherlands beating Costa Rica but I wouldn't rule out my Mesoamerican brethren.

Dax

Smash Journeyman
The issue is that Rutger dans you did not give a winner for the Costa Rica - Greece game. So you have the right score, but not the right winner and you get 3 out of 4 potential points. If you expected Greece to win... that isn't a problem, as you wouldn't have had the additional point. But you may have lost a point in the Belgium - USA match, if you thought Belgium would win.
aww shiit. I thought I had put Costa Rica. Maybe I didn't see the form, lol. I guess I also didn't put Belgium to win
sigh :(

Last edited:

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
One of the most amazing moments of this World Cup.
Fair play to you Sideshow Bob David Luiz and Daniel Alves.
> Location: Rio de Janeiro
d'oooohkaaay

Nah but seriously, I have nothing but respect for those two and James. Top draw players and sportsmen.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
NEYMAR is out for the rest of the Cup, dammit the chances of an Argentina-Brazil final are ruined, so much for Messi v. Neymar

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Fair play to you Sideshow Bob David Luiz and Daniel Alves.
Very impressed by them two. A lot harsh fouls and poor referee work in this world cup.

Award for most superfluous player goes to Fred btw! Why does he even play? xD

:059:

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Here's an update on the prediction game :
Cyr is extending his lead, thanks to a really bad round for Aniolas, who was second.
But behind him, there's a war for second place... and only 4 games left =D

1. Cyr le Bienheureux (93)
2. Slhoka (85)
3. Dax (84)
4. Zephyr (83)
4. Aniolas (83)
6. Vincent (80)
6. Qlex (80)
8. Rutger (77)
9. yultan (76)
9. Maxattack (76)
11. Meljin (75)
12. Zyx (73)
13. seya (72)
14. Hara (71)
15. JiM (70)
16. Scuzz (69)
17. Poilon (68)
18. giggs (66)
19. Armada (65)
20. Eiko (49)
21. automatic (46)
22. Yomi (42)
23. Usleon (37)
24. Isaac (35)
25. Bico (24)
26. MissEclipse (19)
27. Cpt.Love (15)
29. Zylo (7)
30. Qual (3)

And here's the form for semifinals : https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1zL12R243t2rFqaNmUW_g-k68kG3KWNWALXp1-s_qKIU/viewform?usp=send_form

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
I like to think that 1-19 is like the premiership of the prediction game whereas the rest (people who have missed games) is like the second tier league or something.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
I like to think that 1-19 is like the premiership of the prediction game whereas the rest (people who have missed games) is like the second tier league or something.
Pretty much. Though JiM (15th), Scuzz (16th) and Poilon (17) have all missed at least 16 games.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Did anybody get today's game right? I'd be very surprised if that were the case!

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I swear. Back when the score 0-1, I went away for a minute or two and I see a post that states that the score was up 0-3 then 0-4. I literally had to turn on the T.V and see the score myself the online score wasn't malfuncting....At least it was 7-0, am I right Brazil?

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
That was weird and I didn't like it. I never want to see such a dull and opaque Brazil ever again.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Tbh, that's kinda how Brazil played for most of the tournament. The germans just happened to be the first ones to completely take advantage of Brazil's inadequacy.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Did anybody get today's game right? I'd be very surprised if that were the case!

Nah, obviously not. The closest person were another guy and me, with 4-2/1-3. So quite far.

I swear. Back when the score 0-1, I went away for a minute or two and I see a post that states that the score was up 0-3 then 0-4. I literally had to turn on the T.V and see the score myself the online score wasn't malfuncting....At least it was 7-0, am I right Brazil?
Haha, same for me ! I was at work when the match began, and I saw the first goal. I left shortly after that, but I realized I forgot something, so I came back and thought "hmm... I'm in a hurry, but let's watch if it's still 1-0". And right at this moment, I saw a goal. I was like "yeah, 2-0 !", and I turn the volume on... only to hear it's 4-0!
I'm a German supporter in a country next to Brazil, so 99% of the people here love the Brazilian team... needless to say I enjoyed my evening :D
The whole city smelled like sweet, sweet tears haha

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Tbh, that's kinda how Brazil played for most of the tournament. The germans just happened to be the first ones to completely take advantage of Brazil's inadequacy.

Yeah. It's not like Brazil outplayed any team other than Cameroon in this cup. Still though.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Yeah, 1:7 is an extreme result that nobody cold have forseen. Where I live a lot of people were convinced that germany was the stronger team prior to the game but nobody expected that.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Here's a last update before the end :
1. Cyr le Bienheureux (93)
2. Slhoka (86)
2. Dax (86)
4. Qlex (85)
5. Zephyr (84)
5. Aniolas (84)
7. Vincent (81)
8. Rutger (78)
9. yultan (77)
9. Maxattack (77)
11. Meljin (75)
12. seya (73)
12. Zyx (73)
14. Hara (71)
15. Scuzz (70)
15. JiM (70)
15. Poilon (70)
18. Armada (69)
19. giggs (67)
20. Eiko (49)
21. automatic (47)
22. Yomi (42)
23. Usleon (38)
24. Isaac (35)
25. Bico (24)
26. MissEclipse (19)
27. Cpt.Love (15)
29. Zylo (7)
30. Qual (3)

Cyr is now very likely to win this, but behind him, the war for second place didn't change much.
There are only two matchs left, as well as the points for predicting the top 3... so that's 20 potential points total.

Fill the last form here :

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1WJ35ijEnBjz56KqheqOyU6tYBpWPFSaid65aNTXU73k/viewform?usp=send_form

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
I wish I had recorded some of the games for the lip readings. There were some really good ones like Jelavic calling Rafa Marquez "puto" and Tim Krul saying "I saw that" after blocking all Costa Rican kicks.

Top Bottom