• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2012 NTSC Tier List

Little England

Smash Master
Purdue, W Lafayette IN Rancho Cucamonga, SoCal
Jason I respect your tier list. The tier list is not fully results based, nor is it fully match-up based, nor is it fully opinion.
And this is how I viewed it. I never said results were a non factor, but if results to matchups/human potential were a 0-10 scale respectively I would definitely be a 7. I'm sure everyone is on different ends of this scale as I am.

D

Deleted member

lol @ kk.

I just did a project where i took the top 8 finishers from every 80+ man tournament i could find since 1/1/11 (16 tournaments). I awarded points to characters based on standing. First place got 6 points, 2nd got 5, etc, 7th got 1. In the event of a tie, i awarded a "kicker" which was +1 point for each different player representative of that character that tallied at least one point. This is the results (point totals do not include the kicker)
1. Falco 87 points
2. Fox 82 points
3. Sheik 43 points
4. Falcon 35 points
5. Puff 35 points
6. Peach 27 points
7. Marth 15 points
8. Pikachu 13 points
9. Ice climbers 11 points
10.doc 11 points
11.samus 10 points
12.ganon 8 points
13.zelda 5 points
14.gnw 2 points
15.luigi 1 point

obviously a little off to be considered an accurate tier list. But it does provide some insight as to what we have seen at large tournaments in recent memory.
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Something to keep in mind is that it's a given that if many people play a character, that character will place a lot (not to mention regions aren't equal). A correction for popularity would be interesting, but either way this is a good effort.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
I thought about that, but generally popularity = better characters. It's no coincidence that Fox and Falco are the most popular characters. Region differences are fun to look at. Nearly all of Samus' points came from the Midwest lol.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
People obviously flock towards better characters, but I would imagine a character like Falcon not being fourth best when you consider how many mains he has.

Strong Badam

Super Vegeta
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I don't like using straight up tourney results because they make a terrible assumption. Tourney results alone would be useful IF:
Every character was equally represented in tournament and
Every character's "best" player was equal to that of every other character's "best"

Since neither of those things are going to happen in ANY fighting game, is why I'd much rather take results with a grain of salt and throw in opinion & matchups into the mix. Which IS what the MBR Tier List has been, which I'm fine with.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
I agree with strong bad

I think if we were to release a new tier list, it would be fairly interesting to also provide information such as zivilyn's tallied results.

would be p cool

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Sorry, I've been lurking the thread, basically trying to gather my thoughts on a few things.. and this could be a bad idea.. but in a solution per se?^ is there a way we can possibly COMBINE, both of these initial thoughts stated above?

I agree with Strongbad, and even a new tier list system also, but again, would need to provide results/explanations? I know what i'm tryna say I think, but perhaps just suck at linking the words together... I'll try explain unless someone understands what I'm saying?

FANDOM NOTE: sorry haven't been contributing on "character specific" topic (Yoshi) I had read a post Cactuar put about "relevance" in char of tier list position etc... and I agree with him 100% so when it comes to Yoshi info..(UNLESS anyone cares) WHICH YOU DON'T!) no need to discuss that, unless it further helps with possible placing... I'll give my thoughts from experience of course.. but ...yeah im jus saying I agree with Cactuar.. >.>

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Max i really wish you'd stop with the "my definition of the tier list is the only definition for a tier list." A tier list is only a a ranking system in which a group is listed from best to worst under any given criteria. What that criteria is is set by those making the list.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Max i really wish you'd stop with the "my definition of the tier list is the only definition for a tier list." A tier list is only a a ranking system in which a group is listed from best to worst under any given criteria. What that criteria is is set by those making the list.
This is silly. There has to be some kind of definition.

What's that you say? A ranking of characters from best to worst? Ok.
1. Luigi
2. Falcon
3. Mario
4. Roy
5. Donkey Kong
6. Kirby.

My definition is by who has the best taunt.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
In fighting game communities tier lists are a reflection and predictor of tournament success of any given character as a solo main, the only subjective part is how you weigh results, matchups and theoretical potential. I personally am a proponent of it being rooted in top level reality moreso than anything else, but that sometimes means that I take the best players as a norm rather than outliers.

SleepyK

This is silly. There has to be some kind of definition.

What's that you say? A ranking of characters from best to worst? Ok.
1. Luigi
2. Falcon
3. Mario
4. Roy
5. Donkey Kong
6. Kirby.

My definition is by who has the best taunt.
That would be where discussion comes into play. Differences of opinion are good in general.

ps roy's taunt ain't that good
no game and watch this tier list is bogus

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
TBH after the top 3 everybody's taunt sucks. But I like Marc's idea. It is still a definition, but one that creates at least a little bit of structure.

SleepyK

If we can decide on how we want this tier list to be defined that'd be great

Idk if it'd be too much information, but I would definitely not mind having both a results-based list and a personal opinion/theoretical potential list.

SleepyK

and i made the same post twice

SOW WHATAR ARE WE DOING GUGYS

where cactuar

D

Deleted member

The criteria is decidedly based on tournament results, since it's the only objective measure we have to go on.

if you don't like it, find something better and we'll use that. i see no reason to argue with something better, but so far nothing else with any objective basis has come up.

even if you come up with something, it's going to be "pink reaper's version of the tier list". it doesn't matter who it belongs to.

Top Bottom