• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2012 King Dedede Matchup Export #3 - Falco

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
King Dedede Matchup Export #3 - Falco​

Official SWF Matchup Chart v2.0 Says: -2

Things we can discuss:​

1. How does Dedede's ground game fare versus Falco?
2. How does Dedede's air game fare versus Falco?
3. Can Dedede gimp or disrupt Falco's recovery? How does Falco fare offstage versus Dedede?
4. Can Falco gimp Dedede? How does Dedede fare offstage versus Falco?
5. Is Falco easy to grab and/or chaingrab? Can we chaingrab him?
6. Can Dedede shield pressure Falco, and with what attacks can he do so with? Can Falco also shield pressure Dedede?
7. Can Dedede punish Falco's attacks easily on shield? And vice versa?

Character/moveset specifics:

How should Dedede optimally deal with:
Lasers
Jab
Grab
Side B
DACUS
Are there any other moves that Dedede should be aware of?

Stages
UNITY RULESET STAGES ONLY PLEASE
Should be obvious already, but I'm just making it clear.

Which starter stages should Dedede strike?
Which counterpicks should Dedede take Falco?
Which counterpicks should Dedede ban versus Falco?
Where is Falco likely to take us?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Before we begin though, there are some ground rules that need to be covered, and these will apply to all MU rediscussion threads.

1) Avoid large amounts of bias please. For example, you might consistently destroy Meta Knight, but that does NOT mean the matchup is +4 in Dedede's favour. Do NOT let a single victory over somebody be a basis for your contribution.

2) Keep the scaling for matchups consistant. We will be using the -4 to +4 scale to summarize the matchup. Here is a rundown of the scale:

-4: (close to) unwinnable
-3: large disadvantage/hard countered
-2: medium disadvantage
-1: small disadvantage
0: even
+1: small advantage
+2: medium advantage
+3: large advantage/hard counter
+4: (close to) unloseable

Keep in mind, the first number in the ratio will always refer to King Dedede. Please do your best to pick one number, rather than something in between two integers. There are NO other possible matchup ratios besides -4, -3, -2, -1, 0, +1, +2, +3, and +4.

3) Please be reasonable! If the majority of people say Dedede vs. Meta Knight is -3, then try not to say the matchup is 0 unless you are able to back this up with hard evidence.

Finally, it is a difficult task, but please try to contribute as much as possible!

Alright, **** match-up numbers they are useless.

King Dedede I think needs to be like a fortress. Falco is the advancing horde that lacks the tools to directly challenge the fortress head on, so the horde has to rely on attrition to win.

Specifically, DDD needs to spend most of his time walking/dashing around to reacting to what Falco does rather than making some commitment to a move. Making some committment to an action before Falco means you'll likely get hit out of the animation by one of Falco's moves or lasers, or Falco will get around you such as spotdodge, rolls, SH airdodges, phantasm.

Learn to power shield lasers. Those should be minor inconveniences that you PS without having to concentrate too much on it. The rest will be paying more attention to if Falco uses SideB, SHs, rolls, spotdodges, etc.

Against jabs and grabs... shield and spot dodge. Despite DDD's bulk, you should be able to SDI Falco's rapid jab up and behind him into Bair or Nair.

Phantasm DDD can deal with either by timing an attack or shield the hit and quickly corner Falco near the ledge, or get a punish off if you get there quickly enough.

Get Falco offstage and cover his sole option offstage (phantasm) by sticking onstage. If Falco ever tries to go onstage, you should be able to swat him away again. Work him to the ledge, then cover his options from the ledge. Prediction can work, but you can just react to what he does.

Bthrow/Fthrow is a more powerful tool than Dthrow. You get the percentage of like 15% every time, and it puts Falco offstage or into the air. Both areas Falco hates to be in. DDD can't really cover all options from a Dthrow unlike if Falco is airborne.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
you should be really patient in this mu.
Like seriously make m2k's ******ry look aggressive.

Learn how to shield the side b and punish it with a grab, its not that hard for d3.
Get good at PSing.

Don't have obvious habits for avoiding the chain grab.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
My opinions on this MU:

1. How does Dedede's ground game fare versus Falco?
2. How does Dedede's air game fare versus Falco?
3. Can Dedede gimp or disrupt Falco's recovery? How does Falco fare offstage versus Dedede?
4. Can Falco gimp Dedede? How does Dedede fare offstage versus Falco?
5. Is Falco easy to grab and/or chaingrab? Can we chaingrab him?
6. Can Dedede shield pressure Falco, and with what attacks can he do so with? Can Falco also shield pressure Dedede?
7. Can Dedede punish Falco's attacks easily on shield? And vice versa?

1. Well, we get CG'd fairly hard if we ever get grabbed at the beginning of a stock, and if we're not careful, it could end up with us being spiked right away. We also get camped fairly hard. Falco can bust out some pretty fast normals, like DACUS and DA>usmash (two different things). Falco's SHL's and SHDL's are lagless upon landing, so he can combo any laser into a quick attack or grab at close range. I feel like reflector could actually become annoying in this MU as well. I think it can cause tripping, but I'm not sure. We have the omnipotent grab of Dedede. We enjoy the benefit of having throws that can usually send Falco offstage or to the ledge. Perhaps D3 can also sneak in a quick dash attack kill off of a hard read from dthrow? :p I feel like every single other move D3 has on the ground is way too laggy for us to be using it preemptively against Falco. In this case, I would say dtilt is our fastest option, which is nice since it's a semi-ko move. Falco's a fastfaller, so he might be somewhat difficult to kill with utilt, but he's also fairly light, so it shouldn't be too big a deal. One problem with our ground game vs Falco is that he can always phantasm through us, should he feel threatened and we're not ready to deal with it.

2. Well, we still have our bair, as usual, but I personally believe Falco's bair is actually good enough to directly contest with ours. I really think Falco straight out beats us in the air. His bair is stupid. His dair is stupid. His nair is stupid. His uair is decent. Idk how good his fair actually is, but it seems like a bad G&W bair. It's pretty SDIable and so is his nair, but the nair has a pretty nicely spread hitbox. Also, nair>jab is a janky combo that works for some reason. Lasers can screw up aerial approaches, even though this doesn't really apply too much to D3. Oh, and of course, he can always phantasm if he ever feels threatened.

3. Can Dedede gimp Falco? Well, do we all play Smash (please let that be yes)? Falco kind of flounders offstage. It doesn't matter who he's facing. If he can't make it to stage level for phantasm, then he's in big trouble. His Firefalco is garbage. It has no range and it doesn't even snap to the ledge sometimes. Phantasm is a whole other story, though. If he's at or above stage level then our best bet is to stay on stage to try to punish his recovery onto the stage or from the ledge. We can grab him and send him back off again. We can dtilt, ftilt, bair, etc., but we either have to put out the move preemptively to catch the phantasm or we have to punish the lag. Honestly, if it wasn't for Falco's incredible game onstage, I think Falco would be bottom of high tier or even mid tier, largely because of how linear his recovery is. I'm not sure if this is what D3's should be doing, but if Falco lets himself end up below the stage line, I usually try to gimp him or grab the ledge, since phantasm is no longer an option for him.

4. Falco can gimp D3, but I think D3 definitely fares much better offstage than Falco does. Falco can be quite annoying with lasers that interrupt our jumps combined with the huge vertical reach of those two jumps of his, but the saying that 'Dedede always makes it back' still pretty much holds true. Unless you're spiked at high %'s somehow, being gimped isn't too big of a fear. Falco's somewhat bad recovery and fastfalling status mean he has no offstage pursuing power.

5. I don't think D3 can CG Falco. He always gets knocked down instead of landing on his feet. Falco isn't really easy to grab either, imo, unless he's recovering. Then we can punish his options, but at neutral, it's hard to punish a lot of Falco's stuff.

6. For our shield pressure, we have the regular ftilt pressure, which I think works quite well here, and we have bair and swallow mixups for shield harrassment. I don't think Falco can really punish swallow that hard if it's done right. Iirc, the few characters that can punish swallow easily are chars with swords and Lucario, basically the chars with huge disjointed hitboxes and counter moves. Dtilt pressure also seems somewhat reliable. It can interrupt quite a few things. I've hit people's shields with one dtilt and then they try to do something oos but it gets stuffed by a second dtilt immediately after. However, even with all these things, I think Falco's shield pressure on us is much more significant. Of course, there are lasers, which should seriously be PS'd. There is dash attack>usmash, which works if they hit our shields. There is jab and there is that aerial version of jab (nair), both of which keep us locked in decent shieldstun, but jab can be shieldgrabbed as long as D3 grabs Falco before he begins the rapid multi-hitting portion of the jab and nair can be grabbed upon landing. Of course, Falco can mixup his shield pressure with grabs, which devastate us. Also, if we are on platforms above Falco, he can safely hit our shields with basically any aerial and utilt. We don't wanna be above Falco. Phantasm doesn't really pressure our shields, but it can't be punished oos unless he lands right behind us, in which case we can bair him.

7. Falco has a lot of moves that create a bit of shieldstun, but for the most part, he can be shield-grabbed out of all of them, with the exception of maybe jab (multi-hitting portion), lasers, and phantasm. Also, I'm not sure about this, but I think Falco's DA can cross us up, which means we can't grab him if he spaces it correctly (inside of us). Of course, we can always bair and nair oos if he does something punishable behind, above, or inside us. If we space our moves correctly, I don't think Falco can shield-grab us out of any of our moves, barring utilt, nair, and DA. Yeah, none of 'em 'cept those three. However, Falco can still attack with aerials and usmash oos, and Falco has great aerials and a good usmash, so spacing and keeping our lag to a minimum is essential.

There was a lot of theory here, so definitely speak out if something I said was blatantly wrong or misleading.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Down throw > ftilt isn't a true combo, because Dedede doesn't recieve a frame advantage when he uses it on him lol.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I honestly have no idea about this MU. I just flounder around trying to shield lasers or block them with Waddles. Then I get there and I'm like, "okay what do". Generally I just grab/ftilt.

What determines if up tilt beats Phantasm? Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't and it's damn annoying. lol

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Really? I've never seen utilt NOT beat phantasm 0_0

I've never considered that move difficult to handle. All tilts beat it and so do nair, bair and dair. In addition DDD has a good backward roll, which helps a lot too. Falco's juggling is the big issue in this match-up imho.

:059:

Xubble

Smash Ace
I never really have had issues with Falco's juggling. I take a hell of a beating with the CG and lazerz spamz and the gatling combo, but once I hit high percents, I can generally keep myself alive and avoid juggling/edgeguarding attempts with mixups (fast fall, air dodge, doublejump dair/bair, etc.). The only thing I fear from Falco is his spike and his bair since it can challenge our bair. Tacking on damage also gets annoying since he can just laser spam and phantasm away with proper timing. I generally have to capitalize on grabs and edgeguards to show any sort of leeway. As far as ground games go, I only worry about Falco's jab because... well, frame 2 jab. ._. Everything else is kept back by ftilt/dtilt/shieldgrab and I've yet to come across problems with that.

I've never tried utilting his phantasm. I always punish it at the end with utilt or grab, depending on the percent. Or dtilt while edgeguarding.

Stages. This is where I'm thrown off. I know to avoid FD and lulz at Lylat, but I've never given consideration to the other stages.

Falco is not invincible at all during his phantasm. He can be hit out of phantasm at every frame of the move. Its just that during a 4 frame window, Falco simply moves great distances in a single frame. If you aim where he was, you won't hit anything. The distance he moves in the later 3 frames is much smaller than the first frame he moves during animation. Its usually much easier to hit him out of the last 3 frames he moves than the first frame he moves.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Falco is not invincible at all during his phantasm. He can be hit out of phantasm at every frame of the move. Its just that during a 4 frame window, Falco simply moves great distances in a single frame. If you aim where he was, you won't hit anything. The distance he moves in the later 3 frames is much smaller than the first frame he moves during animation. Its usually much easier to hit him out of the last 3 frames he moves than the first frame he moves.
This makes a surprising about of sense.

Gee this discussion really died, didn't it?

Um, so those stages eh? I personally would strike FD and Smashville vs Falco, ban FD and counterpick PS1.

What are the general thoughts about this? Sometimes I don't like PS1 because all the rubbish gets in the way of me trying to get back to the ground when launched. :/

allshort17

Smash Ace
I've had phantasm clash with Utilt when he was above me and it hit the very top of my head. I was still in the middle of his phantasm. Would it be for the same reason, Xeylode?

Smashville really seems like a neutral for both. I cannot really see wasting a ban on it. The moving platform aids and hinders both sort of the same.

Final Destination can be rather effective for DDD. Falco's recovery is easier to track on that stage. Without platforms, Falco has to touch the ground eventually if he is in the air. Offstage, he either has to go through you, or get to the ledge. In every position, it should be easier to keep Falco in a bad position. It can work likewise however.

Lylat comes to mind since the tilting mess with Falco's lasers and phantasm lag.

Edit: @allshort17: Yea. The hitbox from DDD's head didn't hit falco's hurtbox at all because Falco was in a different location when the hitbox came out from Utilt. After falco moves a frame forward, he has a hitbox trailing behind him. If you can clank with the hitbox, you won't take any damage.

There is his IAP slown down frame by frame. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCAjswCuLds

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I find FD to make it too easy for Falco to approach and too difficult for us to approach tbh.

I wouldn't mind Lylat and Yoshi's though.

Every stage in a way can make it difficult for DDD to approach.

-If Falco hulks down in the little pool with walls around him in delfino. He can shoot lasers and space DDD's advances if he tries to get close.
-Falco can hide under platforms on most every stage waiting for DDD to land before attacking or zone him on the ground as usual with Falco's moveset.

Getting into the right position and staying there and keeping the other player in a bad spot is really the ultimate goal in this match-up it seems. The stages help and hinder relatively both the same depending upon who has the better position. Only, DDD has a harder time since he can't really outmatch Falco's neutral game unless Falco is approaching.

tl;dr I do not think it matters too much about the stage. Every stage will have is areas of good position for DDD and bad position. Falco will make it difficult until DDD can get into those good spots.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
When it comes to striking, I think I'd probably strike Final D and SV. CGs are irrelevant here, so I'd rather get Falco offstage or in the air into a bad position as fast as possible. Of course, this probably gives Falco more options for recovery since he could always go for the platforms, but this can be remedied by taking up a position underneath a platform and having a tilt ready. Utilt can probably cover both onstage options (over or under platform). BF would probably be my third strike if it was still an option after the Falco's. Too many platforms... Castle Siege's 1st transformation is small, so Falco can't retreat easily, the 2nd transformation has statues, which can help prevent laser camping, and the 3rd transformation's tilting might also screw up lasers and phantasms. As Xeylode said, Lylats tilting can screw up his lasers and phantasms. Might also mess with his recovery. Yoshi's is somewhat small and it seems like it would be hard for Falco to utilize that platform too well. PS 1 definitely has things to prevent laser camping in every transformation as well as make it easier to remain close to Falco without him wisking away.

Um, so those stages eh? I personally would strike FD and Smashville vs Falco, ban FD and counterpick PS1.

What are the general thoughts about this? Sometimes I don't like PS1 because all the rubbish gets in the way of me trying to get back to the ground when launched. :/
Well, it's true that the "rubbish" could get in the way, but it also means Dedede could perform some innovative 'combos' if they don't tech the "rubbish". I've already performed some janky stuff, like bthrow>utilt off the tree in the fire transformation.

There is his IAP slown down frame by frame. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4Ifo7uiIsg
Ummm, that vid didn't slow down to frame-by-frame... :/ Btw, what does IAP mean?

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Instant Aerial Phantasm.

Basically aerial phantasm has less lag than normal phantasm, so Falco's use that instead.

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
Hey, please continue this thread! I've got major problems in this matchup :/

Bobwithlobsters

Smash Journeyman
I've always banned fd versus falco but I personally think that platforms are much better for him than for us. I plan on banning battle field next time I play falco. I feel the platforms give falco too much stage control and options to get around. On fd to get away from us he has to go through us.

:phone:

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
I like BF as DDD. The autocanceled dairs on the lower platforms is the main reason I prefer the stage before SV.
I believe the ledge on FD is better for DDD than Falco.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
If you're on a BF platform you shouldn't shield ... even rising dair is risky because Falco has so many ways around it. If you powershield lasers consistently this match-up is winnable. Leaving the ground is the biggest risks because Falco's juggling is what beats us the worst imo. He clearly wins the MU for that reason but I'm not sure to what extent. This match-up is not played enough on the highest levels to give us a good impression =/

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
DEHF is the only player among them who plays on the highest level though ...

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
People should go watch 4GOD vs Kismet. Helped me fill in some of the holes about the MU, I had previously. He's pretty precise with every phase of the MU.

This MU isn't even that bad. -2 at the worst but I feel like its in between -1 and -2 personally. I fear MK, Oli, and Diddy a lot more.

Kite0692

Smash Journeyman
I´ll give you my opinion on the matchup.

This is a gay matchup. You all know :falco: has a godly chaingrab-->follow up on :dedede: . From my point of view and based on my experience I think this matchup is not as hard as it seems (still being gay). So, at the start of a stock you can evade chaingrab by playing on platforms. First of all you should Perfect Shield the lasers. The matchup is supossed to be Falco camping and camping until dedede approaches. Well, what I use to approach vary between Dair (can be done OoS after a PS´d laser), Back roll (just to see a reaction) or a grab. At low % I prefer Dair. The main goal of this match is to put :falco: in the air (better if its offstage) just because is the easier way to deal damage/take a stock.

Falco doesn´t have a safe way to approach, so it most likely that when he arrives to the corner he would want to side b to the other side of the stage, or grab you and Bthrow you or resort to things like
a short hop airdodge just to get to the other side. Those are the kind of things we should take advantage of when we approach in a non-cg-able %. It´s good to approach mixing up Dair, Pivot grab, Bair, Ftilt, Shield grab and Dtilt. Dair puts falco in the air and (do not know if always) breaks :falco: side b, Pivot grab can deal with the rolls, you can shield grab the first hit of the jab and Dtilt can deal with the side B.

After that the matchup becomes a little repetitive, so it will mostly depend on each player´s level. If you get a grab at low % in the ledge then you can convert it on a stock (you could use Dthrow or grab release). Just so you know :falco: can only recover using Up B (which sucks) or Side B (Which is predictable). If Falco uses Side B too high (at the height of the head of Dedede) you can punish it using Utilt. If it is at a height near the floor you can punish it using Dtilt which, at low %, let you grab him again thanks to the bossly lag after his phantasm has been interrupted. If you think he goes for the ledge then grab it first (lol). So, his only option left is Up B...which you can punish it with whatever you want. If falco gets to grab the ledge you can use Dtilt which puts him in a dirty position.

As you can see :falco: has a hard time getting to the stage. Now comes the nice part of the matchup,
the killing %. Falco has a few killing moves: Up smash (:dedede: survives it around >150%), Forward
smash (The only scenario in which this move would hit its after an up b on free fall) and a fresh Bair
(which is the only move that should kill Dedede in the matchup. Learn how to DI this perfectly). Falco´s killing moves are predictable, it should not be a hard task to not get killed by him.

On a side note I should say that when Falco chaingrab --> spike you he can follow you offstage. Since :dedede: Uair sucks he can go for a footstool. And no, you can´t do anything about this.

How can DDD take a stock? Well, you can use Bair at high %, punishing a read side B with Utilt or getting him out of the stage (same thing I explained).

The match is pretty much decided when someone takes the first stock; If :falco: takes the first stock, then he has a chance to chaingrab and It all will be hard as hell. If :dedede: takes the first stock, then falco needs to approach and you all know that If the penguin gets a grab he can deal 16% with it.

Starters against :falco:

Final destination: Ban/strike this ****.
Lylat Cruise: Falco hates this stage because It messes up with his camping game and his recovery.
Its a counterpick.
Yoshi´s island: It can (in some way) affect his camping game due to the shy guys. Strike it if you do not like the stage. Falco may strike this one.
Battlefield: Neutral stage. Gotta be careful with those laser locks. Strike it if you do not like it. This should be the possible starter.
Smashville: Neutral stage. Should be possible starter.

Counterpick:
Frigate Orpheon: Phase 1 :dedede: > :falco: Phase 2 :dedede: < :falco: nuff said.
Lylat Cruise.

Those are the 2 best IMO.

BAN: Final Destination.

Most important thing on the matchup: taking the first stock.

So, thats it...I think that playing this matchup PERFECTLY it should be -1. And as for what I was saying before (in other thread), :fox: is harder than :falco:. Why? Well, Fox is faster, it deals damage quicker than falco (w/o cg) (Fox laser´s are annoying as hell), his Up smash can kill DDD in like 150% or 140%, has a set up to hit the Up smash, or a grab, or a Dsmash. Those last 2 can put :dedede: in a very, very bad position, his bair is ridiculous (and will force you to use Up b) and the shine too. Plus, Shine and the jumping fair don´t let :fox: be so predictable offstage.

Don´t know If I am missing something.

So...What do you think?

Top Bottom