• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2011 DDD Matchup Discussion #2: Snake

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
CHARACTER DISCUSSION #2: SNAKE

BBR MU Chart says: +1
DDD Boards say: Discussion is in progress.
Can we Chaingrab? Yes

With great survivability, amazing KO potential, and an arsenal large enough to go at war with a country, Snake can prove to be a tough opponent. Can we handle the staunch espionage expert?

Information we need:

-Both Characters Ground/Air Game Against Each Other-
-Moves To Avoid And How To Avoid Them-
-King Dedede's Moves To Utilize In The Matchup-
-Personal Strategies To Help With The Matchup-
-Stage Discussion For Starters, Counterpicks, And Bans-

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
I'm not sure if Snake really has any aerials or not that can beat any of D3's let alone his bair lol. I know that dair is pretty nice against D3 though. =D I've also been caught in some annoying fair lock kind of thing, but it was more of some sort of tech chase like thing off stage. >_<
I guess move to avoid from Snake would be dair, because he's so big that SDIing becomes harder, but i'm not really sure how many Snake are gonna be aggro enough to go for this, but I wouldn't know aggressive Snake in this mu lol. I just camp on the platforms to avoid the grab. Also you should watch where they place their C4, & proximity mines, because aside from grenades it's a pretty safe way to get damage onD3 without being near him.
CG, & bair are my biggest problem against D3, & throwing waddle dees sometimes makes me have to be creative with grenade play. U-Tilt kills rather nicely as well from what i've experienced.
-Personal Strategies To Help With The Matchup-
I have no idea for this lol
-Stage Discussion For Starters, Counterpicks, And Bans-
The starter i'd work for if I were D3 would probably be FD, just because it's big, & no platforms for Snake nonsense. For counterpick against Snake i'd go for castle siege for a walk off, & I personally don't really enjoy it at all, because on the first, & second transformation I have a hard time getting some effective camping going on. Banning i'd probably ban Battlefield because it's considered Snakes best stage, because of how well he controls it, & it's small so less chain grab, or possibly Pokemon Stadium 1 or 2 or something, because the transformations can make you drop the grab.

EDIT:I could be wrong about some thing though, because I don't get to play this mu much outside of a friend I play with all of the time, & occasionally TC.

ZTD | TECHnology

Ralph <3

I think I've given this guy quite a bit of D3 experience from the last few Ohio tournaments ;)

Will post my input pretty soon. I know ALL about this one.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
65:35 d3 imo.

but probably not because of what you're thinking.

the chaingrab is most definitely gay, but it's the part that happens next that actually breaks the mu.

offstage, d3 can reduce snake's options to a few, and if he guesses right and chases, snake will take extreme damage or even die.

one grab doesn't just lead to 20-30%, it actually leads to a possible kill.

and this is really stupid.

AND dthrow --> d3cide is completely legit. gay.

ZTD | TECHnology

Okay time for my essay on this MU:

It is pretty much a well known fact that Snake has a very good ground game but he is terrible in the air. D3 in general has a good game and an alright aerial game (depends on the opponent). In this MU, we're going to actually want to take this in the air and off the stage as much as possible. Part of it is what Attila (Shmot) said but I'll touch on that in a bit.

The Ground

Snake is going to want to stay here. Snake is centered around stage control, strong projectiles and using them to limit your options to follow up and punish accordingly. A smart Snake will try to camp you and avoid mixing it up with in close quarters if possible. Snake's grenade game doesn't outright beat our Waddles but as a whole they are better for camping. They have to get very creative and wait for openings. If both characters just spam stuff, it's kind a of stalemate. D3 also has to wait for openings but has a slightly harder time exploiting them with Waddles. Waddle Doos can create some disturbance in his cooking grenades and Gordos scare the **** out of Snake but we can't count on that. Waddle his landing when you're too far to safely grab or when there's a break in camping. But in general, you're not going to want to camp the entire match. The real prize in grab range.

Here you have to be careful because if you do something laggy, you'll get F-Tilted for it. But you can bait this. Powershielding will help you a LOT in this MU against those pesky tilts. Or if the Snake hits your shield with F-Tilt 2 its pretty much a free grab. For the smart ones who stop when they whiff F-Tilt 1 or it hits our shield...you're going to want to Powershield. Also you can SDI out of the 1st hit of F-Tilt. I've done it plenty of times, personally. But I'm going to devote a section on the Chaingrab later so stay tuned.

Our F-Tilt in close range is actually really good in this MU. Space it out of course. But its handy because it can stop Snake from trying to rush in and grab you or if Snake holds a Grenade and is waiting for you to do something or if you read he's going to pull a Nade, you can throw this out and it'll mess him up. Spaced F-Tilts can be used liberally.

Pay attention to where projectiles are also. Good Snakes will follow up with aerials for ******** combos that really hurt.

Also avoid getting grabbed and tech chased. Our tech rolls aren't bad but its not a good situation to be in regardless. Snake has a pretty good grab range (not like ours but still).

The Air Game

This is frankly the last place Snake wants to be period. He's pretty bad here. His aerial mobility is bad like ours and his aerials are powerful but situational and some of them SDIable. If Snake uses any of these it'll more than likely be Neutral Air to wall us or Back Air for a surprise. Our aerials as a whole are better. Back Air is really good against airborne Snakes. Their Back Air can trade with us but its not something they'll just go for. And of course Back Air chains and Snake can take a lot of damage.

I'm also going to devote a section on Snake/D3 recovering as the edgeguard part of this MU is REALLY critical for both sides.

F-Tilt: It hurts when you take both hits. Play it very safe on the ground. Learn to Powershield or SDI the first hit consistently.

Up-Tilt This move is their bread and butter kill move. If you're playing it right, you won't get hit by this too often. Just don't rush in or airdodge into Snake. I generally don't approach via air against Snake because he has a strong anti air game so the amount of situations you have to worry about this is pretty small. Still this move ***** so it needed to mentioned.

Grab: Getting D-Throwed into a tech chase is bad for us. If you do manage to get in this situation it is almost best to never roll behind Snake. You WILL get punished with a Tilt and that **** will hurt. Mixup how you get up and when you do. Don't fall into a pattern or do the obvious thing. Pay attention to where C4 and landmines are.

Up-Smash/Mortarslide: The Mortar is pretty annoying for us off stage. Snake likes to use it to edgeguard and force a reaction. Our Neutral Air actually goes through it so remember that. It will save you some damage. The slide itself ..how often it is used depends on the Snake. Some use it liberally and others and really conservative with it. If you see a slide coming....pivot grab it. If the mortar is falling while you did this and you're in danger of being hit..Forward Throw is fast and still does good damage. Oh also if Snake hits you with the start up hit at low percents..up until 50% you can DI back towards him and get a free Back Air :bee:

Grenades: Its best to avoid them. Sometimes instant throwing helps for getting them out of your face but pay attention when you are grabbing the first grenade. Snakes like to do this annoying gimmick called Grenade Stripping where if they shield drop a 2nd grenade..the first one will just fall...no matter where it is. If its in your hands it will fall and you'll continue to do the throw animation if you're in the middle of throwing it. Don't fall for the ****. Also don't stay in your shield too long either...they do a good job of eating shields/.

Jab: Jab by itself..not scary. But they can Jab-Cancel into an F-Tilt or a Grab. Be careful.

Landmines: (Down Smash) Don't lose track of these. If you must you can destroy them with Waddles :bee:

F-Tilt - Harasses Snakes that are trying to camp you with Nades in close range. USE IT.

Back Air - Wrecks Snake in the stage and off the stage.

Grab - I'm going to cover this next.

Forward Air - This ***** Snake off stage if you have him on the ropes. I will also cover this next.

Waddle Dee Toss - Not to be relied on, but they do interrupt Snakes that are trying to camp you. They will help you get inside in many a situation.

Swallow - A great mixup here when you do decide to approach via the air. It can also put Snake in a really bad position off the stage..don't worry children this is all going to be covered ;)

Up-Tilt - Very useful for when you've read a Snake trying to recover back on the stage correctly. Used outright its not that useful here. Snake will never willingly put himself above you.

SPECIAL SECTION 1: The Glory that is Chaingrabbing

This is one the reasons Snake hate us. One read can lead to at least 20-40% (stage dependent) from a Chaingrab. Chaingrabbing Snake isn't really hard but you do have to be pretty frame perfect (not hard with a dash grab) or else Snake can pull a Grenade and if you D-Throw you will blow it up and both of you will get hit. You can't Shield Cancel CG him also..it HAS to be the Dash Grab CG. It's not hard to pull off though honestly. But anyway once you have Snake to the ledge you have a BUNCH of options that lead to him taking a quick additional hit ...or him losing his stock or an immense amount of damage. Let's look at the options here:

Down Tilt: Spaced at the ledge Down-Tilt is guaranteed from a Down-Throw I generally save this if Snake is at REALLY high percents (very possible in this MU) and its fresh so it kills. Its still good for a quick hit but honestly at low percents you have better options. This is my back up plan.

F-Tilt: This move can be a god send in this situation. If Snake decides to jump to the ledge and you hit with this...his jump is gone and he has to Cypher...and from there.....PROFIT. If Snake Cypher's toward you...grab release him and he'll have to C4 back on the stage or die if his C4 is already on the stage. If he Cyphers away..you can wait for him to attempt to C4 or if hes at high percents Forward Air that ***. It will kill handily around 150% or so. At low percents you can Back Air chain him as well. If he's out of Cypher, sourspotted Back Air *****.

Up-Smash Its guaranteed on Snake if you buffer and Jump Cancel the Up Smash. Another good fallback plan for killing.

Swallow: lol Snake off the stage is Swallow bait once he's in Cypher. If you're up in stocks or really behind on the same stock..no shame in using this. Also you can grab release Snake with Swallow if you don't spit. The trick is they HAVE to mash. But the other trick is that you can pretty much force them to if you go for (or act like you're going for) a Dededecide. :) Also Swallow spaced at the ledge puts Snake in some terrible spots. If he manages to grab the ledge, you can severely limit him. There's a thread on this as well. Also Swallow's vacuum effect can seriously screw with his ability to Cypher correctly towards the ledge and can suck him under the ledge.

Forward-Air: Sometimes you can just fast fall off the stage and throw one of these out if the Snake decides to recover low in attempts to avoid getting F-Tilted. Also I touched on this earlier but if you manage to get Snake off the stage and low or mid percents and hit him out of his Cypher with Forward Air, you can do it again. You can completely trap a Snake like this.

So yeah Chaingrabbing to the ledge is kind of a big deal. You have the potential to take a stock at any time if you read the Snake correctly. :)

SPECIAL SECTION 2: EDGEGUARDING

Well I just kind of explained a bit about how to harass Snake off the stage but we can go a bit further. If Snake has escaped your grasp off the stage and you are forced to come back on you can still reset the situation. Snake has very few options when recovering. As a rule, Snake will always Cypher high and then upon landing play a big game of Rock Paper Scissors. After Snake begins to fall he can do any of these things

-Pull a Grenade and fall with it.

- Pull a Grenade a soft throw it so it falls with him.

- Nikita and then cancel it so it falls and covers him.

- B-Reverse a Grenade before he lands.

- Just fall regularly (hey it works sometimes)

- Back air or neutral air when he lands.

- Drop a C4. He may or may not detonate it.

-Airdodge into the ground.

Don't be afraid of his projectiles when they are falling. Stay on his *** and try to chase him down. Sometimes if there's multiple projectiles falling it may be best to back off or just throw a Waddle and possibly get in the air. If he aerials, you can pivot grab him and reset the situation. Honestly you want to grab him if you can. Getting him right back in the air is always nice. If you read a B-Reversal Grenade you can Pivot Grab him out of that also.

Now Snake on the other hand is actually pretty good at putting the pressure on us when we're off the stage. Generally what is going to happen is they will charge mortars and time it to where by the time we get to the ledge, the mortar is about to fall on us. This can be threatening but do not panic here. Neutral air can stop mortars as well as Back Air. Generally we want to go for the ledge but they know this. They will grab the ledge if they think we're going to and that forces us to either Up-B through **** or airdodge. Either way its not the best spot we can be in. If we Up-B Snake can take advantage and throw us off the stage again. Its annoying. C4 and Landmines can also help him limit our options further. Especially when there are platforms near the ledge (Battlefield...). Now sometimes you may have to Up-B and power your way through Mortars to get in a better situation...this is okay. Just as always be very careful and mix up your landings. Oh and one trick I do when I'm off stage if that if I'm recovering high..I'll save the jumps and just start throwing Waddles. They can force a reaction like a shield and gave them less time to setup for their edgeguarding. They also blow up landmines that are waiting for you. Definitely use those Waddles when you can.

Stages:

Neutrals: (Assuming we're using Unity)

In order from best to worst imo (for D3 obviously)

Castle Siege PS1, FD, SV, Lylat, Yoshi's, Battlefield

(Just reverse the order if you're a Snake)

Counterpicks:

Delfino ***** in the MU. 99% of Snakes know this though...so don't expect to play here too often. Snake isn't terrible on this stage but he's not that good either. Then lets combine the fact we can wall infinite, we can walk off CG for death..and the stage is changing so establishing good stage control can be hard for Snake. Yeah I would ban this is if I were a Snake. You do not want to play a good D3 here.

Now let's talk about stages we'll actually get to play on:

Rainbow Cruise: This is good but me personally I don't like this stage. Yeah Snake sucks in the air but stages that force us in the air aren't good for us either as a whole. This stage kind of ****s over both characters...Snake more so than D3 by far but still. I mean yes, we can wall infinite but still. Its still a good stage though if you don't like the following options:

PS2: Very underrated imo. This has turned into a new staple CP for me recently against Snake. PS2 is great for us because we can abuse so many parts of the stage.

Ground phase = Wall infinite.

Ice phase = Dash Grab > Down Throw > guaranteed kill move of your choice while sliding.

Electric phase = Down Throw > Guaranteed kill move of your choice while on the conveyor belt.

Flying phase = A better chance to chase Snake in the air and edgeguard him even better.

I love this stage.

Castle Siege: This stage is pretty good also. Not amazing. Phase 1 is good because its smaller and prevents Snake from camping us effectively. This also means smaller CGs but you get more chances to get the grab so you try to get the free damage. Phase 2 is obvious...the walk off. This should not be relied on but if you get it..its so nice. Snake will more than likely try to just camp you the entire time on this phase though. Phase 3 is pretty much a tilting FD. Nothing special here. You get good CGs off on this stage and no platforms to worry about his C4 and Landmines though. Overall a good stage.

Ban:

Halberd if you don't like this. I mean its not bad for us either. Our Up-Tilt will kill here pretty early as well. We can get some good CGs off on the stage as well and we can abuse the top platform with auto canceled Dairs for some interesting setups. I don't like it when Snake camps really hard under the platform though..its hard to get in.

Battlefield: This is what I would ban. We're not good on the stage really and Snake is. he can establish maximum stage control here and make it very hard to get inside his range. And the platforms give him more options for recovery while giving him more options to limit ours. I do not like this stage against Snake at all.

Verdict: Snake punishes really well, edgeguards us, and camps us like a pro. He also has an easier time killing on stage. We benefit greatly from a simple read though. Some say its even..some say its slightly in our favor and others say its damn bad for Snake. I think its slightly in our favor. I feel like Snake has a lot of options against us. its just D3's options revolve mainly off of a grab..but to an a potential extreme degree. They both live forever so its really a battle of patience. Its not uncommon for this MU to go to time at all.

Its hard for both sides but I think D3 benefits just a bit more.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Man...I play this matchup aaaaall the time, and in my opinion, it is in Dedede's favor, however, certain stages alter the ratio slightly.

Pros:
-Chaingrabbing: Chain grabbing Snake is veeeery easy, the options out of it are powerful, and if Snake is in the air and landing, landing a grab becomes easier. Another important part is that our grab range beats Snake's terrific grab range

-Weight: Dedede is a very heavy character, which is good against Snake because even with his powerful attacks, we get hit, don't care.

-Offstage: Rivaled only by Meta Knight, Once Dedede gets Snake offstage, he's going to take a lot of damage, and if you chain grab him to the edge, you can grab release to put him even lower, or ftilt him, also lowering him

-Swallow: This is a very good move when used against Snake, however, you have to be careful to not suck up a grenade

-Waddles: Though not as fast as grenade tossing, these guys get in the way of camping and can through a Snake off sync if used correctly

-Ftilt: This gets a special mention for being such a good move and outspacing EVERYTHING

Cons:

-Camping: Snake camps well, this is a fact of life, and his grenades can mess up practically everything Dedede does. If Ftilt isn't spaced perfectly, blowing up a grenade with it can hurt you; If you don't do the chaingrab perfectly, a grenade can interrupt it; If you inhale and Snake has a grenade/tosses/shield drops you can end up sucking one in, and becoming extremely vulnerable. His camping can also force us to approach, which isn't TOO bad considering we can fly without fear of Snake following us.

-Weight: Much like ourselves, Snake is also heavy, able to withstand a good beating before our utilt will kill him

-Punishing: Snake's moves deal an insane amount of damage, borderline broken in my opinion, and if you slip up once, Snake can tack on a good amount of damage very quickly

-Stage control: Though a part of camping, mines and C4s can throw off where you can step and grab, and on some stages he sets up in a snap

General stuff:
Ok, this MU is pretty straight forward. Snake camps and tries to avoid getting grabbed, we try and grab him and try to get past his camping. If we play recklessly we get wrecked, i.e. I went all out aggressive and took 104% in the span of 30 seconds or less. It's a very patient matchup for both characters.

Snake's Techchasing:
Snake CAN grab us, for example, both character's are just outside of grab range, if Dedede grabs, he's put himself in Snake's grab range and can be grabbed. Dthrow from Snake is a great move for techchases, and in general is a situation you want to avoid. Do not roll behind Snake, he can Ftilt and get both hits (this is very easy to do), regrab, or turn around utilt. Getting up in place leads to the exact same options as before, but with less effort. The best option is to roll away, where his followups are much more limited. I'm not sure if he can dash to regrab, but I do know that DACUS will hit you.

Inhaling and you:
Inhale is a very good move, it does ten damage fresh, resets the situation and also puts Snake in a bad position, however, when to use it is the important part. When not to use it is when he has a grenade in hand, as you will take MASSIVE DAMAGE if you swallow one because of the amount of frames you're helpless. The best ways to land inhale are: Inhaling DACUS with either a ground/air B-reverse, or just inhaling straight on; B-reverse in the air if he approaches/attacks in a risky way (UTilting or Ftilting but is out of range); He uses an aerial, which is something easy to inhale (unless you're back's towards him, and then you can just bair) Once spitting Snake out, you've now put him where Snakes have never belonged, in game or in nature: In the air. Up there Snake is pretty helpless, especially knocked off stage. Technical Chase brought up Inhale vs Snake on the edge, and I'll delve into it real quick:

If Snake is on the edge, you can space yourself (about a step or two from the edge) and use inhale to cover a jumping recovery, a roll, a get up attack, and a drop down attack. Inhale will suck in the first three, and for the last, it will stage spike Snake. There are ways for him to get back on, the easiest being recover high in the first place, or dropping away from the ledge and recovering, which you can punish very easily.

F(***you)tilt, a Penguin's Best Friend:
Easily one of the best spacing moves in Brawl, period. A move that does modest damage, but most importantly, reaches very far, and is very fast, which makes it perfect against Snake, who also has very fast moves. Using this move is very easy, but it cannot get spammed, due to grenades and it being punishable should you mess up. After some testing, you need the most perfect spacing to blow up a grenade and have it not hurt you, this being said, you can blow it up in Snake's hand and have him get blown up. Ftilt can also be used on offstage Snakes after jumps to get them to fall (as TC said) Outside of these uses, Ftilt is just an all around good poke and stays outside of the range of Snake's more deadly attacks.

Netting the Kill:
Dedede's best killing move, Utilt, is still the best in this MU, as once Snake's in the air, getting Utilt should be fairly simple. Now, once you get past the obvious, Dedede has a few more killing techniques. One of which is Usmash out of Dthrow, which isn't the easiest technique, but can net a kill easily due to the simply fact that Usmash is almost always fresh. Dtilt is a much easier move to land and can be down out of a chain grab. Bair, if fresh, is a good kill move (especially right after dying) as well as for gimping. Foward air can be used to the same effect. Utilizing grab releases and dthrow, getting Snake below the stage is not too difficult and puts him in the most gimpable position of all. If you get Snake here, he has to either get on the ledge (setting up the inhale trick I mentioned before) or move back and recover either via cypher or C4. Utilizing your wind box on Inhale, if you are directly above Snake, you can completely cancel this momentum, or just swallowcide by sucking him up. Footstooling after a C4 explosion is very flashy and a good way to gimp him if you can master the timing. If he cyphers, than you follow off stage and proceed to **** him either with bair or fair, eventually forcing him too high for you to get, and then you get to punish his landing (hopefully with a fresh Utilt)

Stages, stages, stages!

Just don't got to Battlefield. That's the easiest advice I can give. Besides this, good counter picks include Delfino Plaza, Rainbow Cruise, Castle Siege, Frigate(this is more of a personal choice for me) and PS1. Remember, on several stages with platforms, you can full hop Dair and autocancel it on a platform (found in Technical_Chase's guide)

At the End of the Day:

This matchup is more in Dedede's favor on good stages (i.e. Delfino, PS1, Castle Siege) but on stages like Battlefield and Final Destination, Snake can get the upperhand if you aren't on your toes.

Most of this has already been stated, but that's everything I've got.

ZTD | TECHnology

I debate the likelihood of landing Up-Tilt in this MU as a kill then again I'm not amazing at landing it on recovering Snake. Everything else in your post..I agree. good synopsis.

:phone:

Lovecraft

Smash Apprentice
Holy hell, page ****, again, great job TC, Yars, and Ralph I wish I could contribute but...I really don't know too much bout this matchup.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
@yars: i actually think snake is good on rc vs d3. he's much more mobile, and can use the stage to help force an awkward approach. and the edgeguard/chaingrab game isn't nearly as scary. snake probably wins on ps1 also; if you're cg-ing him against a wall, he's a scrub.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
For rainbow cruise, it's less about chaingrabbing, and more about the aerial aspect of the map. To get around on the map, you have to be airbourne a lot of the time, and Snake doesn't exactly shine at that. Probably the best parts are on the way up after the boat crashes, and on the large pendulum. This is one of the reasons I like taking Snake to Frigate, because it also gets him in the air much more often than other stages.

I haven't played on PS1 in a while, so I'd have to give it a look.

ZTD | TECHnology

I feel there are better stages than Frigate for CPing. Many Snakes like that stage anyway because they can effectively camp the platforms and sides of the stage while only taking half the initial damage from CGing itself.

Rainbow...eh. I agree with you on the aerial aspect since Snakes werent meant to fly. But they're much better on that stage than most people give them credit for. Its not that easy. Still a solid CP. I prefer PS2 personally.

:phone:

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Personally I like Halbread against Snake.

It's not because of the infinite.

Doc King

Smash Lord
I pretty much agree with everything. Snake gets air ***** by dedede, Snake relies a lot of grenades, and Dedede's just have to chain throw and bair Snake off of the stage. The only thing though is that I don't think that Halberd is a bad stage. I think stages like sv are worse because of the platform that moves makes it easier for Snake to grenade camp us.

7Claus

Smash Apprentice
One thing I find rather useful against Snake (and I've played that MU a lot) is to pummel release Snake at the end of a CG sometimes. It leaves him at a bad position, and if you shield you can counter a lot of his options:

- He tries to jump back onto the stage - If he just jumps or jumps with an attack, shieldgrab him. Pummel release again and he's forced to use his cypher, and you can do pretty much anything you want. If he jumps airdodging, he'll land right on your back, just let go of your shield, turn around and grab, you just won a CG across the stage.
- He tries to jump to the ledge - He has to wait a bit before jumping to space it correctly to grab the ledge without getting grabbed/attacked. If you see this one coming, let go of the shield and go for the ledge, and he'll have to use his cypher.
- He UpBs in your direction - That's the most stupid thing for him to do, you can just grab...
- He UpBs away from you - It's the hardest to deal with, but if you react quickly to it you can fair his recovery, which can lead to a wall of fairs or an inhale in a low percentage or kill in a high percentage.

Also, platform cancel > grab helps a lot against platform camping Snakes in Smashville.

7Claus

Smash Apprentice
I agree with +1 Dedede. It looks pretty even at first, both characters can do a lot of damage, us with CG and aerial pressure and Snake with his camping tools, but I think Dedede has the slight advantage of getting an early kill sometimes, while Snake only kills at 120%+ with uptilt if he doesn't play aggressive, and if he does, Dedede can punish it pretty well.

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
One thing I was experimenting with was chaingrab snake to buffer upsmash. Does this work? I've tried this a couple of times in friendlies and this seems to work well. I can't remember if i tried this in tourney or not but I think its reliable if you buffer it. Kind of like the buffer upsmash on lucario(same thing actually lol). That way you can kill snake all the time at %s 150 or below. Like sometimes you chaingrab snake and u buffer d-tilt but then the ***** will DI and live to like 180% which makes this mu a pain sometimes.

ZTD | TECHnology

Yes, if you Jump Cancel the Up Smash (buffered of course) then Up-Smash IS guaranteed on Snake. It's just a little difficult (not impossible) to pull off consistently. I'm trying to master this (I'm decent at it but not perfect) because it's really not uncommon for a good Snake to live past 180 or so if the Snake stays on the ground or avoids your attempts to catch his recovery. Fresh Down-Tilt at the ledge from Down Throw kills at roughly 185-90 with good DI....lol

Man I hate how Up-Smash kills later than Up-Tilt unless you charge it..lol But at least we have guaranteed setups for it.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Match-up is definitely even. Offstage is only a problem if you get CG -> dtilt ... all his kill set-ups are from a CG/offstage. Don't get grabbed, camp him hard and realize that DDD can NOT safely land against you and that Snake can actually **** DDD in the air. There's no way for DDD to get a kill in this match-up until ~160% if you avoid the grab. Just avoid all direct confrontation, don't use ftilt unless you're 100% sure it hits and don't rely too much on grenades - keeping him the air is a lot better and nets tons of damage.
DDD actually has no good CP in this match-up, Snake has too much room to camp on FD, CS and Delphino.

:059:

ZTD | TECHnology

I disagree with the last statement.

FD yes, Snake can camp his *** off. I dont think having a longer main stage is worth the amount of hassle you will go through to grab his ***.

CS...eh...kinda agree. Phase 1 is small and doesnt really give Snake that many options to camp us effectively. Its not hard to corner him. Phase 2 yes. The only gimmick we have is the walk off CG. Smart Snakes can camp well here since Phase 2 is huge. Phase 3 is FD with tilts. Overall I think the stage is solid and it offers us one really big potential reward.

Delfino gives Snake room to camp also but gives us a LOT of bonuses if we grab him. Totally worth taking Snake there imo.

I still prefer PS2 now. Sooo many dumb gimmicks there lol

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Match-up is definitely even. Offstage is only a problem if you get CG -> dtilt ... all his kill set-ups are from a CG/offstage. Don't get grabbed, camp him hard and realize that DDD can NOT safely land against you and that Snake can actually **** DDD in the air. There's no way for DDD to get a kill in this match-up until ~160% if you avoid the grab. Just avoid all direct confrontation, don't use ftilt unless you're 100% sure it hits and don't rely too much on grenades - keeping him the air is a lot better and nets tons of damage.
DDD actually has no good CP in this match-up, Snake has too much room to camp on FD, CS and Delphino.

:059:
I disagree with the last statement.

FD yes, Snake can camp his *** off. I dont think having a longer main stage is worth the amount of hassle you will go through to grab his ***.

CS...eh...kinda agree. Phase 1 is small and doesnt really give Snake that many options to camp us effectively. Its not hard to corner him. Phase 2 yes. The only gimmick we have is the walk off CG. Smart Snakes can camp well here since Phase 2 is huge. Phase 3 is FD with tilts. Overall I think the stage is solid and it offers us one really big potential reward.

Delfino gives Snake room to camp also but gives us a LOT of bonuses if we grab him. Totally worth taking Snake there imo.

I still prefer PS2 now. Sooo many dumb gimmicks there lol
I disagree with dedede on rc vs snake...snake can easily get above dedede on the second part (only one that makes him be aerial long enough) and once he is i've never had trouble just staying away from d3 for all the second part. Other than i don't see how it's very beneficial to d3 cuz of what the other guy said. Snake actually reaps quite a few benefits from rc. We even had a thread on it by Susa.

FD i agree it wouldn't be worth the trouble unless your obviously better.

CS i could see it but i see this as much more even with a possibility of a huge reward.

Delfino...ugh. I love this stage but hate it in this mu(snake perspective). SO many reasons.

I've personally started using ps2 a bunch with most of my characters in certain matchups.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
PS1+2 and Frigate are my stages for CPs on Snake now.

I never CP to Castle Siege on anyone really, so I don't have an opinion on it. FD isn't AWFUL to cp Snake to , but it's really not a good one. Delfino isn't something I take Snake too, everything's shaped so strangely that camping just becomes even more of a pain to deal with.

I like Frigate, mostly because as a previous G&W main, I love taking Snake to that stage, and it holds true still. The first form is what you want to be on most of the time. Chaingrabs on this stage result in VERY high damages and early gimps. The second bit isn't nearly as good, so it's more of a patient form to play on.

Pokemon Stadium 1 simply because there is very little room on this stage, especially during transformations coupled with infinites, it's a great stage. Pokemone Stadium 2 is a stage you need to practice on for it to become a good CP.

Doc King

Smash Lord
I actually find rc a good cp on snake since you can zero death him on the first part on a small ship. Snake has a poor air game and you're forced to use it in rc. Also during the third part of rc, king dedede can actually infinite him, making it into a zero death combo. The last part can also lead to some star kos on Snake.

I find rc, Delfino, final destination, and the pokemon stadiums good counter picks on Snake.

GanonkingAbyss

Smash Apprentice
You can PS snake's dsmash, and even though it doesn't really help, you can dthrow, dtilt snake anywhere.

Le vieux lapin

Smash Ace
It's as simple as this, he owns the ground. His mines, down smash, broken tilts
dash attack don't let up. This sucks, because it can impair our ability to d-throw CG
him.Our air game though is fairly better. We have the almighty b-air and swallow, which is'nt as
fast as b-air but can be used if you are clever. His n-air and fast b-air can be a problem,
but they can be worked around because we have more jumps and are more maneuverable
in the air.
Like anyone else, we have to avoid his d-throw TC, but since our grab range is better
than his, that isn't much of a worry. What to fear most are his tilts, A combo and dash
attack. Just be ready to dodge or stay in the air. As for his grenades.... I'm not pro enough to know
how to deal with them.
Our best moves here would be f-tilt to stay out of his broken range, grab
to soak in that CG damage, Waddles to apply pressure, and b-air..... for any situation
in the sky. Also, I have had success killing his gimp-able recovery with a well timed f-smash.
As for stages... I think his best are also our best, but IDK.
Personal advice.... remember who is the king, and who is the washed up Sam Fisher.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Like I said before, in this matchup you should only be using Inhale when Snake DOESN'T have a grenade or is doing something else (mind gamed Inhales count too, but should be used sparingly)

Top Bottom