• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2 or 3 stock?

Victory.IsMyDestinySSB4

Smash Journeyman
Just curious, which do you guys prefer in competitive play? 2 stocks or 3 stocks? This has been widely debated ever since melee, and I just want to know you guy's opinion (I personally like 2)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't do competitive matches, but I often play with 3 stock lives to make the match last a bit longer. Having only two lives can make a match be way too short if human error causes you to lose a life too early.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
While I am not competitive myself, I do 2-stock battles. Other times, I do 3-stock.

But yeah... 2-stock is best since this game's physics are not that much different from Brawl. Additionally, the lower damage output on veteran character's attacks as well as inherently greater difficulty in comboing one's opponents reinforce the decision.

Xandra

Smash Cadet
NNID
xandrasmash
I tend to do 3 stock so the match will last a bit longer, but competitively... mmm, I guess 2 stock, since it'd keep the matches on the shorter side and would make running pools or tournaments or whatever easier/quicker.

Knightmare369

Smash Rookie
Definitely 3 stocks. It makes the game last longer so there are more ooos and aaahhhs. Also it allows some crazy comebacks.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I prefer 3 stocks because it reduces the impact of an early loss of stock. In a 2 stock match, if you lose a stock early, more often than not that decides the match.

Also makes matches last longer in 3 stocks, which I prefer.

JayE

Smash Journeyman
Hyrule and Altea, the universes of Zelda and FE
NNID
PinoyPlayerJ
3DS FC
2982-0290-3968
I prefer 2 stock, and I play competitive matches with 2 stocks. But, 3 stocks I wouldn't hate, it would just take some time to get used to. Definitely helps when someone self destructs

Top Bottom