• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2.B.A. MASTER: The New PT Video Thread

Bomber7

Smash Hero
1st match- probably wan't the best idea to use zard against DD. Also you jumped around with Squirtle too much to attack. It became obvious that was the only way you were going to attack. It would have been quicker and easier if you would have used an ftilt or something most of the time you were standing right in front of your opponent. Rocksmash also used a little too much.

2ns Match- Rocksmash still used a little too excessively. Also, I would have started different, but since your zard is your best, I guess it was ok. It never hurts to put your best foot forward. With squirtle, you made it too obvious you were going for a grab, even if your opponent was out of range.

I'm surprised you didn't try Ivysaur any, especially against Kirby. Too tired to say any more.

MaTA

Smash Ace
NNID
MatisElite
I that match was so long ago, I know there are a lot of mistakes..not match is really ever perfect. But it was fun though! definitely try a to be a little more smart in doubles. I depend on my partner too much while i'm doing stupid moves :p

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I that match was so long ago, I know there are a lot of mistakes..not match is really ever perfect. But it was fun though! definitely try a to be a little more smart in doubles. I depend on my partner too much while i'm doing stupid moves :p
I find it so much easier to start with Ivy in dubs. Just cuz I can get away with usmash so much easier and I dont have to try and read as hard when to use it. Plus using BS is fun when your partner is able to hit them out of hit with a powerful attack for a KO.

MaTA

Smash Ace
NNID
MatisElite
Yeah that might be a good idea, just depending on who you're facing. I definitely wouldn't go Ivy if it were MK or something.

I'm going to a tourney this weekend and my partner is Zekey from San Diego, a D3 player. Chain grab to bullet seed to charged hammer sounds pretty good ;)

I'll definitely get some practice in.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Dude, I love Ivysaur vs MK. It's like my favorite MU. Charizard and Squirtle obviously do they best imo, but Ivysaur is just flat out fun. Get yourself a careless MK, he eats usmash.

Myollnir

Smash Ace
If the MK starts planking/scrooging, there's nothing you can do about it.

I struggled against a MK who was trying to time me out/abuse the fatigue mechanics, even though I was better than him. I managed to win by Zero switching to Ivysaur and land an U-air during the last minute (even when Ivy is fully tired, this move is so powerful haha).

I doubt I can do something against good MKs. :laugh:

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Most MKs are predicable in their style of play. What you can do is really the name of the game. Also butt loads of patience is needed.

Rizen

Smash Legend
If the MK starts planking/scrooging, there's nothing you can do about it.

I struggled against a MK who was trying to time me out/abuse the fatigue mechanics, even though I was better than him. I managed to win by Zero switching to Ivysaur and land an U-air during the last minute (even when Ivy is fully tired, this move is so powerful haha).

I doubt I can do something against good MKs. :laugh:
^I agree with this. MK's planking is god-tier and <3 Ivy's Uair.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Most MKs are predicable in their style of play. What you can do is really the name of the game. Also butt loads of patience is needed.
Most people are smarter than that. You can't just assume that players are bad and that you can therefore get away with beating them. In a lot of situations in this game, you can have a good idea of what's coming and still not be able to do anything, especially with a character that has to be especially precise on a regular basis like Pokémon Trainer.

I don't know what Meta Knight players you play, but, even average ones give me trouble after they've had a couple games to realize what they shouldn't do.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Critique?
vs Ness
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxJ9BWNs8oI&feature=plcp

I hadn't played for some time so my spacing and buffering were rusty. My main trouble with PT is KOing. This game really shows it.
Squirtle- needed grab release. Shouldn't have fallen to him with an aerial, it left you open, waste of frames.

Ivysaur- not too bad, you did a good job of staying alive, getting the KO and giving damage.

Charizard- should have been switched as soon as you had a safe opportunity, not at 130%.

Pretty much my criticism. Though when Cam gets my videos uploaded, I will show you how to get owned by Ness like a true unskilled player like myself. The matches I will have will be a good example of what you guys do NOT want to do. So I really have no shame showing you guys those vids when the time comes because they were so bad. I'll do better at my next tournies. You can plan on it.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Thanks.
What CGs/grab releases does PT have? (On Ness or anyone else)
As far as I know, everyone has a grab release on Ness, I think Lucas too?

Anyway, this is the post I made a couple weeks ago about Squirtle's grab capabilities. Feel free to play around with it.

Edit: I was playing friendlies and my friend picked Ness. I performed that grab release all your guys talked about. I know see what the big deal is. I lol'd. I also came to a simple conclusion concerning squirtle and his grabs:

1)grab range is perfectly fair and balanced :troll:
2) If they can be grab released, do it.
3) If they cant be grab released, try going with grab -> release -> jabx1or2 -> grab
4) If they can't be grab to jab released, grab them again, mix it up a little. Throw out an ftilt after release make them react and grab again, release, jab, grab again. Repeat mix-up. Mind games.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I mean what moves can each pokemon do from a grab release on Ness/Lucas?
You just grab them, hit A repeatedly, then grab them again and repeat. It's really that simple. :l

Other than that, you can sometimes get away with a jab canceled grab. Ivysaur has no such capability obv. so you'd have to stick to following the character's DI for another grab.

Rizen

Smash Legend
You just grab them, hit A repeatedly, then grab them again and repeat. It's really that simple. :l

Other than that, you can sometimes get away with a jab canceled grab. Ivysaur has no such capability obv. so you'd have to stick to following the character's DI for another grab.
So Squirt/Char have true standing grab release infinites and Ive has a walking one? Some characters only have specific moves (Link:Dsmash/jab/dash attack) guaranteed but PT's grab is good. I wasn't sure if Ivy could do that with her slow grab though.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
So Squirt/Char have true standing grab release infinites and Ive has a walking one? Some characters only have specific moves (Link:Dsmash/jab/dash attack) guaranteed but PT's grab is good. I wasn't sure if Ivy could do that with her slow grab though.
Pretty much as far as my knowledge goes.

T-block

B2B TST
^correct

to expand, squirtle NEEDS to walk forward a little bit in order to land the regrab on ness.

ivysaur can get f-tilt/d-tilt, but throwing is almost invariably a better an option.

another notable option is charizard d-tilt on either... nice at the edge of the stage. if squirtle can't finish with d-throw, he's usually best off just throwing/releasing them offstage and going for an edgeguard followup.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Ivysaur can also get Dash Attack after a ground-release on Ness and Lucas, which is what I prefer to do.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Don't have brawl to test this now, but can Zard pull off a hyphen smash out of an air release?

Or perhaps SH FT into grab.

Just thinking up possibilities

:phone:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I capture my game with a video capture device and 3 splitter cables so my computer and TV both have the image and sound from my wii, save it as an MPEG format, sign into my youtube account (by signing into Gmail), click 'upload video' and fill in the information.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Hey guys, here's one of those video's I promised I'd show y'all. Y'all are in for a real treat. So without further delay, I present to you guys how NOT to play against Snake! Feel free to take notes on everything I did wrong (which was 99.9% of what I did in this video). :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_dMdO13cdw&feature=g-u-u

I don't really need critique, because as mentioned before, I just had a really bad day. :(

Nonetheless, my failure can help set an example for you guys and show you what you don't want to do. So enjoy! :D

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Be careful with your rolls. You'd often trg to roll either behind or into the Snake and grab.

It's a good mixup if you space the roll right, especially if you get a read, but it gets very easy to punish.

Also, rolling into your opponent puts you right near them facing backwards, and that is almost never a good place to be.
:phone:

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Here's the next video. This is what not to do against a ZSS or Ness. If anything I need more enlightenment on Ness because what really throws me off is their movement, especially in the air. ZSS, I just failed with item control and got stupid with Squirtle, and I knew better so shame on me. Ness, I legitimately have trouble with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwPTLbjKoo&feature=g-u-u

Rizen

Smash Legend

Bomber7

Smash Hero
As far as the Falco match goes, here's my thoughts:

In my opinion, you didn't do half bad with Ivysaur. You spaced Falco pretty well and had a good flow going. The only problem you ran into is that you kept eating his attacks, and had mis-spaced attack. Aside from those two factors, I think your Ivy could have just walled him.

With Charizard, you did much better than I expected. I would have personally switched to Squirtle, but I was only assuming that the Falco you were playing was a crazy Falco and would wall you with lazers and side Bs. I also noticed that you sitting on the platform gave Falco little to no options for approaching you. I could be wrong, but that's what it looked like and I wonder if that can be an advantage used against all Falcos. Assuming I'm right.

With Squirtle, you focused too much on your air game when Falco was on the ground. There were a couple of points where I think you expected him to jump in the air, but by then it was clear he liked to hug the ground. I think Squirtle would have been the better stater rather than Ivy, but that's my humble opinion.

In the end, it's hard to really say much on a wifi match because I don't know how much you guys had your skill impaired due to lag or whatever. I know I can't play PT online because I'm unable to play him well due to lag.

Myollnir

Smash Ace
Nice set, I saw it on the stream.

@Rizen : I'll critique when I find the time to do so, if you still want of course. But I don't really like wifi matches.

Myollnir

Smash Ace
Honestly, your PT is quite good.

If you want to improve, search for "Zero Switch" and "RCO lag", I think it'll help you a bit.

Just a few things, mostly about Squirtle :

- When you grab, U-Throw is - most of the time - the best option. Don't go for the release to jab when you don't have to refresh other moves, especially if you jab is already stale. Setting up a juggle is way better, considering Squirtle's nice juggling game.

- NEVER stale your D-Throw. That means, NEVER use it unless it'll kill : it only deals 6% (fresh), you can't combo after, and more importantly, you want it FRESH when you grab and the opponent is at kill %. F-Throw/U-Throw/Release + jab are always better when you don't want to kill.

- Against Diddy, I recommend that you switch to :charizard: before dying as :ivysaur:, because you can stock tank with :charizard: , avoid having your :ivysaur: gimped (so if you switch, you'll die later), tack on damage/kill since :charizard: will be fresh, and start the next stock with a fresh :squirtle: . IMO, it's the best option, but if you don't feel like that, no problem, switching is often something personal.

Oh and I was disappointed when you missed the edgehog after the N-air spike with :ivysaur: . :(

Top Bottom