• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2.0.0 Patch?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Update’s been confirmed, thank you to Wiinner159 Wiinner159 for the picture.

Since this patch is coming soon, it will affect the Genesis 6. The Genesis team still plans to run the tournament as usual but making sure that the setups stay offline.
With that said, what do you guys think about this? Any thoughts on this patch affecting upcoming tournaments?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

ugh since they're gonna look at Elite Smash results (which is basically just Quickplay with a jpg) they're gonna nerf the noob stompers like K.Rool, Chrom, and the Belmonts aren't they

Oneiros5321

Smash Apprentice
The inevitable Chrom and Inkling nerf, fellas.
Let's hope not. There's nothing to nerf honestly...well maybe I'd like the roller to put you in the ground a bit less longer but other than that, there's not really anything to be nerfed.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Well, I just hope Samus doesn't get nerfed. Maybe I haven't fought a good Chrom, but I have yet to lose against one with my Samus, especially in Elite Smash. I feel like the intial opinions for Chrom and Inkling have died down, but King K. Rool still gives my Samus trouble.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Just wait for the patch and see what they end up doing.
Chrom can use a nerf. Other than that, buff characters plz :)

We dont need plant data, we just need the plant,
And other data. :)

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I’m staying hopeful that there are no serious nerfs and this is either Piranha Plant or online fixes (I can hope, right?). The game is balanced right now with various characters winning tournaments and doing well online. We don’t need any serious balance changes right now

I just hope characters like K Rool who are already mediocre don’t get nerfed because newer players have trouble dealing with them

Last edited:
Just wait for the patch and see what they end up doing.
Chrom can use a nerf. Other than that, buff characters plz :)

We dont need plant data, we just need the plant,
And other data. :)
You right You right
We’ll try to do a rundown of the changes in 2.0.0 if it does end up releasing next week

I’m staying hopeful that there are no serious nerfs and this is either Piranha Plant or online fixes (I can hope, right?). The game is balanced right now with various characters winning tournaments and doing well online. We don’t need any serious balance changes right now

I just hope characters like K Rool who are already mediocre don’t get nerfed because newer players have trouble dealing with them
The only thing we can do right now is hope that Nintendo doesn’t mess up. Hopefully they do what you’ve told me, it seems like the better approach.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
The only thing we can do right now is hope that Nintendo doesn’t mess up. Hopefully they do what you’ve told me, it seems like the better approach.
I hope so. The fact that they’re doing this right before Genesis is a terrible idea and may ruin people’s mains and practice and screw them in the tournament. Its really not fair to the pros to make balance changes right before one of the biggest tournaments in Smash. his is something I hope they’re taking into account

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The weirdest part of all this to me is the name. Usually games have to go under and incredible amount of rehaul to be considered a 2.0 version of the game. I mean I can see them just naming it that for the sake of it but I'm more leaning towards new modes and overall content being added en masse in this update.

I guess it makes sense seeing as how we're coming up on the first wave of DLC but if it really is just the name of the update being changed I'm going to be a little disappointed.

Oneiros5321

Smash Apprentice
The weirdest part of all this to me is the name. Usually games have to go under and incredible amount of rehaul to be considered a 2.0 version of the game. I mean I can see them just naming it that for the sake of it but I'm more leaning towards new modes and overall content being added en masse in this update.

I guess it makes sense seeing as how we're coming up on the first wave of DLC but if it really is just the name of the update being changed I'm going to be a little disappointed.
The update is supposed to be released next week, and next Friday is the 1st of February. I wouldn't be surprised if they've upgraded the version number because the inclusion of Pirhana Plant.

I really hope there are other changes though...and I don't mean character nerfs but mostly online fixes and improvements.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
What I find especially interesting is that throughout all its updates, Smash 4 only ever got to 1.1.7. With Ultimate, we're just goin' straight to 2.0. I would say this has to be a substantial update, but we only know of 2 DLC characters right now, one of which is still presumably in early-mid stages of development, and I dunno what else they could add to warrant a 2.0 branding other than, like, new modes.

The update is supposed to be released next week, and next Friday is the 1st of February. I wouldn't be surprised if they've upgraded the version number because the inclusion of Pirhana Plant.

I really hope there are other changes though...and I don't mean character nerfs but mostly online fixes and improvements.
I’ve seen this one 4chan post that predicts the jump from 1.2.0 to 2.0.0 claiming that Plant will get released the 15th and Joker along with another fighter on the 1st of March for people who bought the Fighter Pass.

This is 4chan we’re talking about so there’s no real way of knowing, guess we’ll just have to wait for it to be updated.

What I find especially interesting is that throughout all its updates, Smash 4 only ever got to 1.1.7. With Ultimate, we're just goin' straight to 2.0. I would say this has to be a substantial update, but we only know of 2 DLC characters right now, one of which is still presumably in early-mid stages of development, and I dunno what else they could add to warrant a 2.0 branding other than, like, new modes.
I agree, a game goes 2.0 when there’s a really big change in the game itself, this certainly isn’t the case outside of Piranha Plant.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Whether completely legit or not, balance changes are inevitable. With that being said, I'm praying to the Goddess of Light that she doesn't get nerfed to the ground. Here's hoping they fix glitches and buff weaker characters... fine tune the game, add The Plant, all that good stuff. Maybe a surprise mode or two. But for all that is holy, do not nerf my girl Palutena. After all of my time playing her in Smash 4, I'm still not used to all of this power lol.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I agree, a game goes 2.0 when there’s a really big change in the game itself, this certainly isn’t the case outside of Piranha Plant.
Just to let you know since you've done it twice, the mods dont want people to double-post (that's to say posting right after your own post).
You have to use the edit function. (quote or reply and copy that to the editing)

I think it'd be neat if it really was a big update. Hopefully good changes :)

Last edited:

leafgreen386

Dirty camper

I'd actually like to see them nerf the newbie killers, but buff them in other ways for higher level play. I don't know if they're *quite* that competent, but when you look at a character like ridley, you can just tell that they spent a ton of his power budget on his sideB and downB, neither of which are especially good in competitive, while leaving the rest of his kit clunky. Just imagine how good ridley would be if they nerfed those moves, but as compensation, he had more air mobility and could autocancel his fair+bair (and/or less landlag). He might be a real tournament contender with that.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I'd actually like to see them nerf the newbie killers, but buff them in other ways for higher level play. I don't know if they're *quite* that competent, but when you look at a character like ridley, you can just tell that they spent a ton of his power budget on his sideB and downB, neither of which are especially good in competitive, while leaving the rest of his kit clunky. Just imagine how good ridley would be if they nerfed those moves, but as compensation, he had more air mobility and could autocancel his fair+bair (and/or less landlag). He might be a real tournament contender with that.
I actually really like this idea. I mean Ridley is still better than K Rool because that nair and his edgeguarding potential, but those changes would be awesome. I don’t know how you’d nerf K Rool and then give him buffs at higher level play. Maybe change the armor mechanic and give him better frame data while taking away some of his projectile ability

Thing is I’m pretty sure Nintendo isn’t looking at it this way and I’m pretty sure that’s not gonna happen. If they do nerf K Rool I have a feeling they’ll nerf an already mediocre character into the ground without giving him anything to compensate. I don’t think Ridley will be touched

As a Ness main I’m worried about a Ness nerf because of the unjustified PK Fire (it’s not that good of a move and is punishable and situational) complaints, a lot of them due to lag and his top 3 tournament results which are skewed by a few dominant Ness players. Yes at the moment he’s a high tier (who may fall, although I think he’ll stay firmly high tier) character but not top tier and not overcentralizing and any nerfs would be completely unjustified

EGsmash

Smash Apprentice
Nerf Wishlist:
  • :ultinkling: bury length
  • :ultlucas: PK Freeze knockback/angle
  • :ultgnw: GIVE HIS GRAPHIC A BRIGHTER OUTLINE I CANNOT SEE HIM ON DARK STAGES
Buff Wishlist:
  • :ultrob: bury length
  • :ultdiddy: barrel recovery height, maybe aerial endlag
  • :ultsimon::ultrichter: tether recovery should have a small initial hitbox on the chain
  • :ultwolf: side B (no more freefall)
  • :ulticeclimbers: side B (no more freefall)
  • Just get rid of freefall for all side B and neutral B moves. Seriously, you want a game with less BS then just do it already.
  • Cut end lag for DAD by 25%
Gameplay / Quality of Life Wishlist:
  • Reset character selection to last picked
  • Allow other controllers to cancel out players that aren't playing
  • Move KO explosion to background layer
  • Increase character brightness/contrast on darker stages
  • TAUNTING ONLINE

Last edited:

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman
This is big. It's going to set the buff/nerf trend for the rest of the game's life cycle. With a naming convention like this, there are 100% going to be balance changes... Or none at all, which sets an even more amazing trend.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Rather than balance changes, I want mechanic changes. Most of my main problems with this game are the asinine mechanics, like the buffer system or how you take full knockback while buried, or that godawful auto short hop thing.

One thing that’s certain is that if we do get balance changes we won’t know right away because patch notes aren’t a thing in the world of Smash.

Oneiros5321

Smash Apprentice
Nerf Wishlist:
  • :ultinkling: bury length
  • :ultlucas: PK Freeze knockback/angle
  • :ultgnw: GIVE HIS GRAPHIC A BRIGHTER OUTLINE I CANNOT SEE HIM ON DARK STAGES

This is actually a list of nerfs I would be okay with.
Doesn't nerf the characters to the ground, shouldn't change them at competitive play but make them a bit easy to deal with for players who are not too good.
There will probably not be any clear patch notes but I bet Inkling's bury's length is the first thing people are going to check once the update goes live =')

Travitoninja99

Smash Cadet
NNID
ΩZero
Switch FC
SW-7339-8935-1294
Predictions:
  • :ultinkling: Splat Roller, possibly something else
  • :ultkrool: Nerf to his armor most likely, or something else maybe, possibly Down Throw or Crownerang
  • :ultchrom: Some kind of nerf, possibly also to :ultroy: by proxy
  • Fixing Unova's problem with characters who have teleport recoveries
Nerfs Wishlist:
  • :ultpichu: Ftilt knockback or range
  • :ultrob: Arm Rotor in some way
Buff Wishlist:
  • :ultbowserjr: Frame data or Mechakoopa buffs (selfish wish I know :p)
  • :ultridley: Less landing lag on aerials, or make DAir not hot garbage
  • :ultpiranha: GIVE US THE PLANT!!!
  • General overall movement/frame data buffs wherever seen fit sounds good
  • Just get rid of freefall for all side B and neutral B moves. Seriously, you want a game with less BS then just do it already.
  • Cut end lag for DAD by 25%
Gameplay / Quality of Life Wishlist:
  • Reset character selection to last picked
  • Allow other controllers to cancel out players that aren't playing
  • Move KO explosion to background layer
  • Increase character brightness/contrast on darker stages
Yesss, 100% give us these changes! Freefall after Special moves (sans Up B ofc) is so dumb. Fine with DAD the way it is though. Also, if they changed the buffering system in some way I wouldn't mind either

I really hope they don't implement too many nerfs, I hope they focus on buffing characters and gameplay mechanics.
I feel like they're going to nerf :ultinkling::ultkrool:&:ultchrom: just based off Online matches, which I hope they don't, they really don't have a big problem in competitive play. Especially K. Rool, he's a goon but he's not broken.
Speaking of Online, maybe they can fix that area a liiiiiittle bit maybe? (or a lot bit, like a continent sized bit)

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I really really don’t think Inkling needs any nerfs. Splat Roller is so easy to avoid and punish that if you get hit by it you deserve to be punished. K Rool really doesn’t need changes either. I really hope this is online tweaks (I’d love an overhaul or even better make online into seasons), Piranha Plant, and maybe a new single player mode

InfiniteRE

Smash Cadet
I don't get why people want chrom nerfed. His recovery is borderline aweful, which makes up for it by having a versatile arsenal. Also nobody can figure out exactly what should even be nerfed on this character. Against good ledge guard players, he gets exposed, I think Ike is better.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I don't get why people want chrom nerfed. His recovery is borderline aweful, which makes up for it by having a versatile arsenal. Also nobody can figure out exactly what should even be nerfed on this character. Against good ledge guard players, he gets exposed, I think Ike is better.
The only thing I can think to nerf on Chrom is his air speed and his frame data which would kill the character. He doesn’t need a nerf he’s easy enough to deal with. Lucina is better anyway

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
This patch is going to us a lot of things regarding the competence of the balancing team at Namco/Sora/Nintendo.

They could be really good and note that the game is well balanced atm and buff the few underpowered and leave good characters alone, or they could be like smash 4 where the buffs and nerfs are arbitrary and unfounded all over the board.

We are going learn lots.............

Also piranha plant is probably why 2.0 number.

Cruelcumber

Smash Cadet
Yeah for any potential buffs and nerfs that 2.0.0 could give us, I hope it's more buffs than nerfs. Granted there is a few things I wouldn't mind seeing nerfed (like how stupidly long the duration of Shulk's attacks are, Villager/Isabelle's froward/backward aerials, etc), but remember that buffs typically allow for more to do with characters than nerfs. Sure not every character should be buffed so high they're all the same, but there are plenty of characters that do deserve buffs (ex. Pac-Man's specials, K. Rool's frame data, making Bowser Jr. more viable, a better air game for Ridley, etc). But only time will tell what will be in store for us during this update. Sadly it will be up to the dataminers to figure out everything since I doubt any changes will be explained to us in detail.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I really really don’t think Inkling needs any nerfs. Splat Roller is so easy to avoid and punish that if you get hit by it you deserve to be punished. K Rool really doesn’t need changes either. I really hope this is online tweaks (I’d love an overhaul or even better make online into seasons), Piranha Plant, and maybe a new single player mode
I actually think K. Rool’s attacks need to be sped up by 1 or 2 frames. Even with the armor, his attacks feel too easy to interrupt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom