• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King of the Couch - Teaneck, NJ : April 12, 08 - SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
KING OF THE COUCH TOURNAMENTS
For more info on this or other events check www.KingOfTheCouch.com

• EVENT INFO
Saturday, April 12th, 2008

Teaneck Armory,
1799 Teaneck Road
Teaneck NJ, 07666

• TOURNAMENT INFO

:ENTRANCE FEE:

$15 per player

Donate a bag of groceries and pay only $10 to enter!

The groceries and a portion of the event proceeds will go to the State Family Readiness Council ( Teaneck Armory).

SIDE EVENTS MAY BE AVAILABLE! CHECK BACK SOON FOR MORE DETAILS!

:pRIZES:

For Each Winner, There will be GameStop/NJ National Guard Package plus free entry into the next KOTC event. Valued at $150. Plus another shot at $100 cash by playing a battle of the Champions Retro Game.

:TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE:

Doors open @ 8 AM
Signups and Freeplay open @ 8 AM - 10 AM
SSBB Tournament starts @ 10 AM
Tournament is scheduled to end by 5PM

:TOURNAMENT RULES:

~ Bring your own controller
~ 1 v 1, Double elimination brackets
~ Seeding will be done randomly, with consideration given to players who come together
~ Three (3) stock
~ Six (6) minute time limit
~ During Warm-ups, games will be 2 stock/3 minutes
~ Each set is best of three (3) matches; Finals and semi-finals are best of five (5) matches
~ Players have five (5) minutes at the beginning of a set to adjust controller settings, enter names, select a character, and begin the set.
~ The first stage of a set will be decided by RANDOM SELECT. After the first match, the loser must announce his/her choice of stage for the next game. The winner will then choose his/her character, followed by the loser. This pattern continues for any following matches.
~ RANDOM STAGES - Final Destination, Battlefield, Lylat Cruise, Smashville, New Yoshi's Island
~ BANNED STAGES - Port Town Aero Dive, Spear Pillar, New Pork City, 75 m, Mario Bros, Hyrule Temple Melee, Mushroomy Kingdom World 1-2 (World 1-1 is permitted for counters)
~ The same stage cannot be played twice during a set
~ In the event of a tie of stock at the end of time limit, players will play SUDDEN DEATH
~ ITEMS will be set to LOW - Beam Sword, Lip's Stick, Star Rod, Super Scope, Ray Gun, Fire Flower, Smoke Ball, Mr. Saturn, Soccer Ball, Green Shell, Banana Peel
~ In the event of an equipment malfunction, the match will be restart from the beginning NO MATTER WHAT!
~ Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character, freeze the match, or distort the physics of the game are banned. Using them will result in a forfeit or replay of the match.
~ Infinite stalling tactics of any kind are BANNED and will result in a forfeit or replay of the match. These are defined as tactics/glitches in which you cannot be attacked by your opponent by any means (I.E. staying underneath a stage indefinately).
~ Nintendo Standard controllers ONLY (Wii Remote, Nunchucks, Gamecube, Classic). Players are responsible for syncing their controllers. When players sync a controller they must ANNOUNCE they are syncing and to which system they are syncing to (call by station number). Do not sync at the same time as another player. Anyone who does not follow these guidelines may be warned and/or disqualified. Any player caught tampering with a game via synced controllers will be immediately disqualified from the tournament and/or may have other players disqualified.
~ Anyone caught changing the rules settings without a tournament official’s approval will be IMMEDIATELY disqualified. No exceptions.
~ All rules are subject to change and will be fully enforced by tournaments officials. Officials will be available for assistance at anytime. Judges decisions are final.

:OTHER TOURNAMENTS:
Halo 3 - Free-for-All, 2v2
Call of Duty 4 (PS3, Xbox360) - FFA, 2v2
Madden '08 (PS2) - 1v1
**Check www.KingOfTheCouch.com for more info.**​

• A Message from the suicide fox
Our second event in our double whammy Brawl Spring tournaments. The rules have seen a slight change from the Wachovia event. The response on items was overwhelmingly positive, with the only item that really saw any problems being the Fan, which has been removed. This event is helping to support The State Family Readiness Council.

The State Family Readiness Council Family Grant Program was created to provide financial assistance to members of the New Jersey Army and Air National Guard whose immediate families experience financial hardships during the service member’s period of mobilization and up to eighteen months following the service member’s demobilization.

Please, bring in some groceries to help support the families of our troops! Every donation will be greatly appreciated AND will knock $5 off your entrance fee for the event!

Also, if you check out the website, you will see we have 2 types of events; standard and advanced. Standard events are $15 entrance fee for a $150 prize package. Advanced events are $45 entrance fee for up to $1000 cash. As of now, Smash Brawl is listed as a standard event. However, depending on the feedback we get we may be able to pump it up to an advanced event with a $25 entrance fee and $500 grand prize!!! However, in order to do that we have to have at least 50 entrants confirmed. So if you want to see KOTC give out $500 to the first place Brawl contestant, post here and let us know! I'll update this post with any changes.

GO BRAWL!!

If you have questions, feel free to send an AOL instant message to TheSuicideFox​

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I can't make it, but I'll be sure to tell my friends that there is, in fact, a Northern NJ tourney.

PS: Big Blue not banned?

PPS: Can you go more into detail about the whole groceries what not?

Basically canned food drive.

Joe I would come support this 110% because my family was in the military. Unfortunately my team is going to MLG. If my team gets eliminated early, I doubt since we are so good lolz but seriously, give me your # so I can stop by and support you and the troops.

On a side note please contact me asap I wanted to talk to you for a few.

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
Yes canned food would be perfect. It's always your safest bet since it doesn't spoil and is easily transported. I believe there is more info on our website regarding the groceries, so check there for any other questions you may have.

I was wondering - how would people feel if I dropped the stock/time to 2s/3m but made it best of 5? I think it would be good because then I can save all the replays (considering my camera is gone and won't be replaced til after this event) and the best of 5 evens it out a bit. I played in a SBR tournament yesterday to test some online settings we are playing around with. Even though I lost 4-1 (we played all 5 for experiment's sake) the best of 5, 2s/3m didn't seem so bad.

Any thoughts? I'll probably make an announcement at the tournament and take a vote, but maybe we can avoid that by discussing it here.

D

Deleted member

2 stock seems really short... I mean, as soon as you lose a stock, you feel so much more tense by having one stock left... I think it'll become more of a momentum game by doing that... I'm iffy about it, but I can't play Brawl until at least Monday, so when I play with my friends, I'll give feedback as to how it was... Easy Solution: People, bring recording equipment :)

Definitely looking to go to this... about 40 min away, and this'll be the end of my spring break, so excited to see if I can go...

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Take these items off. I seriously will not come with any of my crew until this happens.

Also: Can you go into depth on this prize package? I don't want a 40$ army t-shirt.

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
Ok then don't go. I'm not forcing you to and I'm not changing the rules for one person, sorry. The items actually were recieved very well, so if you don't even wanna give it a shot, hey it's your loss.

Right now it will include some army stuff (Tshirts, hoodies, etc), games, and other sponsored prizes. I'll see about getting a full list of the prize package soon.

BTW

In case anyone didn't notice, we would like to pump this event up to an advanced event with a CA$H payout. Chances are, we would do a team (2v2) event, $40 per team with $500 grand prize, but we would need at least 25 teams in order to payout the full amount. POST IF YOU WOULD BE INTERESTED!! Please, b/c I'd love to give out a big wad of cash to the first place team. What are you thoughts?!? As cool as some of prize packages are, nothing beats cold hard cash :chuckle: So if you are gonna go an wanna win cash bring your friends, get some teams to come and we can DEFINATELY make it happen.

Peace

D

Deleted member

Meh, I'm not too much into bringing an extra $20 for teams, but maybe... if dm is showing up for teams, I might as well just drop my **** controller if I play them lol...

I don't really care with items (my friends and I play with them on sometimes), but I know the soccer ball is going to **** me...

So, is it 2 stock/3 min, or is it still 3 stock/5 min?

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
It's going to be 2s/3m for warm ups (so everyone can play, and maybe save some matches for analyizing regarding items/stages/characters/etc, not to be posted or anything >.<, unless it's a MM) and 3s/6m for that actual tournament. We may do teams as a separate event (though not for a huge cash prize, probably something like $10 per team for $100 or something).

As it stands now, it's $15 to enter ($10 if you bring a bag of groceries, PLEASE SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!, canned food is best :) ) and teams is iffy, I'll make an announcement at the event prior to the start of the tournament. I'm working on stuff for our next event, which I aim to be a Smash solo event for a cash prize. Look for something to pop up for the summer on that one (and I'll be posting info WAY in advance, no 3 weeks notice thing).

Tomorrow's the big day! w00t!

Lastly, if I catch you stealing I will break your hands (not kidding)...

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
QUICK RESULTS

SINGLES:

1. J-Man
2. Basic Sausage
3. Blackanese

DOUBLES:

1. Blackanese & Basic Sausage (split with 2nd place)
2. J-Man & DJ Nintendo (split with 1st place)
3. Epic & Zhen

Congrats guys! Full results, comments, and other stuff to be posted later. I'll link to the results thread here.

Peace

Top Bottom