• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Armor List

Status
Not open for further replies.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Super Armor - Allows you to not flinch or disrupt your attack duration. You take the damage percentage, but you do not flinch.... it's kinda like a phantom hit, only it's not a glitch.

I found this list on Shoryuken (lawlz). It's funny seeing big names in Street Fighter and Guilty Gear learning this game, despite the general distaste the SRK board had for Melee.

Originally Posted by game_tip
Hi I'm the actual poster from SRK from this list. I'm a little appalled by the user not posting at least my name for the list.

Here is the link that shows the actual content:
http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=151956

it's in the process of going through changes. But thanks to the people here I've given the credit where due for allowing others to see this information

I'm sorry I didn't cite you. But now I'm making up for it.

Who has Super Armor? If something is not on this list please contribute. I need more information, specifically what part or frames have Super Armor.

Bowser

- Bowser's down+B contributed by Raph_Stryker

Charizard, part of PT

- Charizard's up+B, the initial frames of the move.
- Charizard's Forward+B, during startup contributed by crazymasterhand

Donkey Kong

- Donkey Kong's fully charged Giant Punch, not sure when it has super armor contributed by Raph_Stryker

Ike

- Ike's AAA combo, has super armor after initial jab contributed by Miracle Matter
- Ike's neutral+B, when executing the move but not charging contributed by Miracle Matter
- Ike's down-tilt, after the start up frames. contributed by Miracle Matter
- Ike's up+B, I believe from when he throws his sword up until he grabs it.

Jigglypuff

Jigglypuff's Down B contributed by Corner-Trap

Mr. Game and Watch

- Mr. Game and Watch's up smash, after the initial start up contributed by Raph_Stryker

Olimar

- Olimar's down+B, initial frames of the move.

Snake

- Snake's Up+B, during the initial frames of the move contributed by Miracle Matter
-Snake's Down tilt, as the hit ends.
Wario

- Wario's Forward Smash, contributed by Raph_Stryker
-
Wario's down+b

Yoshi

- Yoshi's second jump, during the time he's jumping contributed by Raph_Stryker

King DeeDeeDee

-Up+B, until the peak?

Pit

-Pit's Down+B, the Shield. Confirmed in the video by Ryanarius

Tin

Smash Journeyman
Ike's UpB does not have Super Armor the entire time. I've been able to Pound him as Jiggles as he UpBs.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Ike's up+B, I believe the entire move
This is incorrect. I've gimped ike numerous times by simply spamming thundershock (pikachu main) down the ledge, which interrupts his upB before he can rise, but after he initially throws his sword. If he had SA during this time it wouldn't so much as faze him. He probably has it when he's rising, and maybe at the beginning of the move - I haven't tested this extensively to know, but it definitely isn't the whole time.

Zink

Smash Champion
I don't think ike's up b is ALL SAF. I've been hit out of it on the way down multiple times. I think it might be just the middle part.

Levitas

the moon
I'm thinking DK's startup for his up-b have super armor based on experience, but I was in the middle of a game and didn't ask for better testing. Somebody check this.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Are you sure Jiggs' Down B isn't just an invincibility frame? In melee, the exact frame the attack came out was also an invincibility frame, it could be the same for Brawl. Also, does Kirby get SA frames from Ike/DK's attacks?

Qinopio

Smash Journeyman
Squirtle's Withdraw (side-B) has true armor. That is, you can take no damage as long as you're in your shell.

Isn't super armor interruptible with sufficiently powerful attacks?

Edit: Phantom hits, at least in Brawl, are not glitches. They're on the Dojo.

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
do you think after you get a full list of who has super armor, you might list the frame length of each attack and what frames gain super armor? (after testing of course)

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Regards to DK.

Super Armor-

Let’s discuss Super Armor. DK has two options, and thankfully, the SA windows are at different places, so you have multiple options to be effective. Learn the two windows and apply them effectively as an attacking defensive strategy.

-upB (Grounded)- Super Armor frames on start-up, this is the BIGGEST SA window DK has, it's now as effective as Bowser fortress with Invulnerable start-up, the window is the whole entire time his elbow is raised before it's active, BUT, additionally, there is a small window after invulnerability, and before it's active where you can STILL be hit out of the move. This means that upB is very effective against single strike moves (IKE COUGH COUGH) and not multi stuff like most Dsmashes. on ground, the trajectory is enough to be safe on guard but don't expect much horizontal movement, it only has enough. Finally, the grounded version has AMAZING almost instant recovery, while the last hit has the most knockback of the entire move.

-Full Charged Donkey Punch- Super Armor is the Donkey Punch itself, about ~25 frames after startup of a full charge DK punch you are in Super Armor sate. It is set-up such that, it will never trade hits. In a trade situation DK will always win. But, you will still be hit OUT of a DonkeyPunch early.

It's also been stated by other DK players that Fair has SA frames, nut I have yet to find it.

Nacht004

Smash Rookie
I've actually noticed that during Lucario's grab animations it seems like he has super armor. I could be mistaken but it occurs often enough to make me think that these are in fact frames of super armor during his later part of his grab motion.

BananaNut

Smash Journeyman
Sonic has a bit of super armor on his side B. It lasts from the start until the top of the little arch when it kinda hops.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've actually noticed that during Lucario's grab animations it seems like he has super armor. I could be mistaken but it occurs often enough to make me think that these are in fact frames of super armor during his later part of his grab motion.
All grabs have super armor.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
SA is NOT interruptible, only the move is. If your getting hit OUT of a SA move then you aren't applying your SA window efficiently enough, OR your getting hit by multiple strike moves that have large active windows than your SA window.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
All grabs have SAF. Squirtle's forward B has SAF upon initiation. Squirtle's forward smash also has them (at the beginning only?). Marth's Up B has SAF upon initiation. King DeDeDe has SAF when sucking people in, but only if they hit him as they enter his mouth (I think the same applies to Kirby).

I took mental notes of SAF I've seen since playing, but it seems like I've forgotten most of them. Oh well, I'm sure someone will figure it all out.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
Super armor and invincibility frames are two separate occurences. Some (possibly all) super armors can be broken with sufficiently powerful attacks. See also: Yoshi's doublejump, Kirby's down+B, all grabs...

Ganny

Smash Journeyman
I think ganon has super armor when her grabs people with his B ->

I havent gotten knocked off the person I was grabbing when hit with smash attacks or attacks from those release crystal things, like waluigi.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Yoshi's double jump is not armored. It's just a weight change.

Also, before you guys go too far into making this list, please note Jihnsius' post when he says that armor and invulnerability are two separate things. Although I disagree with whether or not armors can be "broken," they are two different things, so keep that in mind with the moves you're listing.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Just updated the list. I wish Mew2king would post in this. I don't even have the game to test any of this, I just found the list and wanted to expand on it.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
Yoshi's double jump is similar to super armor in every way, except that if super armor is in fact not possible to be broken, he doesn't share that similarity. That still doesn't account for the fact that some of these super armors listed can be broken by many powerful attacks.

If Yoshi's double jump is only a weight change what accounts for the fact that he is knocked out by certain attacks and not others? Surely it's a variable determined by either damage, knockback, or stun time of the attack, which would all be held true for what can break Kirby's down+B, grabs, etc...

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I think ganon has super armor when her grabs people with his B ->

I havent gotten knocked off the person I was grabbing when hit with smash attacks or attacks from those release crystal things, like waluigi.
I agree with this. It happened to me while messing around with Ganon in teams. I think it's during the animation where he lifts the person up. Needs more testing.

aznxk3vi17

Smash Cadet
Super Armor is NOT interruptible with sufficiently powerful attacks. Is there a single attack stronger than Marth's Final Smash? It does something on the order of 60% damage in a single hit. However, as shown in that infamous Ike clip, Ike's Up-B armor took repeated hits from it. If 60% damage doesn't "break" it, I'm willing to bet that it's unbreakable.

The percentage you are at does not affect it either; in the same video, Captain Falcon repeatedly Falcon Punches Ike into very high percentages, and the armor holds strong.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
The power of an attack isn't necessarily defined by the damage given. Try taking a fully charged PK Flash during many different super armor animations. Also keep in mind that just because one doesn't break doesn't mean others won't. I don't want to claim that super armor can never be broken, it just seems illogical and I've already pointed out situations that seem to show the contrary.

Magus420

Smash Master
All grabs have super armor.
I'm seconding Yuna. All grabs have a few SAF.
All grabs have SAF.
I suggested this in another thread, but I think it should be looked into more. I'm not very convinced that all grabs have SAF, and that it is not just a new way the game handles grab vs attack priority. Since you would take damage and still have the grab connect this would appear to be SAF, but really just be 'trading' hits. This would actually be a 'nerf' for grabs in that case not a 'buff', since they previously had absolute priority over attacks and you would not get hit by the attack at all.

Has anyone been hit with a powerful disjointed attack from behind with considerable damage when grabbing, and ate the damage with no knockback and without landing the grab (and sure it wasn't a phantom hit/glancing blow)? I have heard of someone clipping them with PK Thunder when grabbing, but that's PK thunder not a high knockback attack.

If so, could you provide a video?

If there truly are SA frames on grabs they should be able to take strong hits during those frames without actually having to land the grab on them afterwards at all. From what I've heard and the people I've spoken to that has ONLY happened when the grab did connect and never when it missed. If it only occurs when they actually get grabbed that sounds a lot more like a grab vs attack property than grab SA.

3GOD mentioned this today which supports my theory:

I originally posted this in a Wario forum:

3GOD said:
The Bite completely OWNS most character's f-smash. I was playing MookieRah's Sonic, and he started to f-smash me, only to find himself getting chomped. I've tested, and pretty much any character who leans in or uses part of their body to attack for their f-smash gets eaten by the Bite. Even Marth's f-smash gets eaten if it's not spaced well.

An interesting aspect of this is that for some moves, Wario still takes damage while at the same time chomping on the opponent. Taking damage could have something to do with super armor frames (for your opponents attack) since I took damage from another Wario's f-smash and a fully charged Donkey Punch. But I think it more likely has something to do with the hitbox connecting on the same frame as the "Bite Box" since I also took damage from a NON-charged Donkey Punch (I don't think it has super armor if not charged).
Since the Bite is a "grab" of sorts, I think your theory about the hitbox connecting at the same moment of the grab is correct.

For some attacks, Wario's Bite connects, but he takes no damage. For other attacks, he takes damage and the Bite connects anyway, giving the appearance of super armor. However, if I'm facing the opposite direction, the Bite never connects and I always take damage and knockback. Clearly the Bite at least (so I think it's reasonable to assume that it's true for normal grabs) doesn't truly possess super armor frames.
EDIT:
King DeDeDe has SAF when sucking people in, but only if they hit him as they enter his mouth (I think the same applies to Kirby).
Also, Kirby's inhale does have SAF when inhaling an opponent
This also fits perfectly into the concept.

Ganny

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure grabs have at least one or two frames of super armor. Super armor can't be broken right?

Super armor is just the ability of no flinches or knock backs

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
hey good job. this helps bro. i think u could better it with how many mili seconds or w.e each suepr armour attack has duration.

Magus420

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure grabs have at least one or two frames of super armor. Super armor can't be broken right?

Super armor is just the ability of no flinches or knock backs
That's what I'm saying though. Those 'couple' frames right when the grab is coming out could very well just be the grab trading with the hit instead.

Look at my sig from Melee. On the frame where the Marth on the right stands up, he was actually making contact with the d-tilt stab, but you don't see it because the left's grab has complete priority over it. The end result is the grabber getting the grab and the attack having no effect even though they both had actually hit each other.

Now suppose in Brawl these two moves instead both go through. While the left gets stabbed he also gets the grab on him, and takes damage from the hit in the process yet is standing there holding them in the grab. This would appear to be the same thing as having SAF at that moment when it really is not.

Ganny

Smash Journeyman
That's what I'm saying though. Those 'couple' frames right when the grab is coming out could very well just be the grab trading with the hit instead.

Look at my sig from Melee. On the frame where the Marth on the right stands up, he was actually making contact with the d-tilt stab, but you don't see it because the left's grab has complete priority over it. The end result is the grabber getting the grab and the attack having no effect even though they both had actually hit each other.

Now suppose in Brawl these two moves instead both go through. While the left gets stabbed he also gets the grab on him, and takes damage from the hit in the process yet is standing there holding them in the grab. This would appear to be the same thing as having SAF at that moment when it really is not.
You still take damage with super armor. The fact that he is not budged backwards or the attack stops proves that he has super armor right

Both moves can go through but the guy grabbing would receive damage AND grab the opponent at the same time. Super armor can't get canceled by an attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom