• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

100Hz Crt TV Sony Trinitron Lag question

MoG420

Smash Rookie
Hey I got a sony trinitron kv-29fx65e a few days ago and was wondering if it will have lag because a sign on the back next to the SCART says 50Hz but I know its an 100Hz Tv. So my question is if its possible that the output has 50Hz and due to this there is no lag like it was a 50Hz Tv ? Thanks for all answers

MoG420

Smash Rookie
No one able to help? Ive asked in several forums and dont want to learn techskill with input lag

ike¥

Smash Cadet
No one able to help? Ive asked in several forums and dont want to learn techskill with input lag
best bets to be safe and get a CRT or at least try one and see if theres difference, most tech skill still the same to do with input lag tho man except stuff like wavelands

Tezushi

Smash Rookie
Look into the what the specifications of the TV is too. Response time of the CRT monitor depends, like for example: https://www.amazon.com/VG248QE-1920x1080-144Hz-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B00B2HH7G0/ has a 1 milisecond response. It can be connected VIA HDMI or DVI. Playing Melee on the Dolphin Emulator with this monitor is a pretty flawless experience in DVI mode. I haven't tried HDMI, but since it's a 144Hz monitor, I assume there will be then be significant input lag.

In comparison, if you have one of those new HDTVs - the larger then screen, the more input lag there is. By default HDTVs have a 60Hz refresh rate, but in my experience when you get these TVs (Insignia TVs for example) they aren't actually rated at 60Hz and performance enhanced for older game titles for older consoles like the Nintendo Gamecube (SSBM). It might also be something to do with the transfer of the video signal. If played on a Nintendo Gamecube, composite AV cables were designed to work with the Nintendo Gamecube game titles. As soon as you play on older consoles that rely mainly a 60Hz constant refresh rate stream, this is the important bit to focus on. HDMI cables doesn't really do this with older gaming consoles if your attempting to achieve this.

If you decide to play Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Or any newer Smash game after Melee.) it probably won't be too critical to have the refresh rate matter past 60Hz. In Melee mostly (Because it is the fastest action per minute Smash game.) it is important to play on CRTs as the AV cables give them a constant stream of video input. This all depends on your preference though and your mileage may vary on what television hardware you purchase.

Other then this, vanilla Melee plays pretty fluent on a Durabrand CRTs that is 13 - 17" for example with no input lag. They can easily be bought at tech second hand store for very cheap.

Top Bottom