• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

1% Roy (& Marth?) Counter Using Bowsers Downsmash

ValiantNorth

Matrix Speedruns
Hey smashboards!

During our last weekly me and another player from my region decided to mess around a bit after our tournament, I really enjoy playing Bowser and even as a Falco main I still love to play him from time to time just for the sheer beast mode-ness of it all.

Anyways, during the course of our play seesion the other player decided to pick Roy (For whatever reason) and we began to play, during our second match as I down smashed, Roy threw out a counter and he ended up countering me for only 1%, we tried to do it again, and he actually hit me for 0% afterwards....

Pardon me if this is old, or just a 'Roy Only' thing but i wanted clarification from those who actually play Bowser as mains, has anyone ever had this happen to them whilst playing against Roy? Or if this is a common occurrence? I've looked around and there isn't much info out there for Roy's counter so if anyone could enlighten us that would be great..

Thanks!

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
Hey smashboards!

During our last weekly me and another player from my region decided to mess around a bit after our tournament, I really enjoy playing Bowser and even as a Falco main I still love to play him from time to time just for the sheer beast mode-ness of it all.

Anyways, during the course of our play seesion the other player decided to pick Roy (For whatever reason) and we began to play, during our second match as I down smashed, Roy threw out a counter and he ended up countering me for only 1%, we tried to do it again, and he actually hit me for 0% afterwards....

Pardon me if this is old, or just a 'Roy Only' thing but i wanted clarification from those who actually play Bowser as mains, has anyone ever had this happen to them whilst playing against Roy? Or if this is a common occurrence? I've looked around and there isn't much info out there for Roy's counter so if anyone could enlighten us that would be great..

Thanks!
haven't heard of this before considering that 1. roy vs bowser isn't a matchup that happens often and 2. down smash is a pretty bad move that shouldn't be used much, so it's unlikely that roy would ever counter a bowser down smash.

ValiantNorth

Matrix Speedruns
haven't heard of this before considering that 1. roy vs bowser isn't a matchup that happens often and 2. down smash is a pretty bad move that shouldn't be used much, so it's unlikely that roy would ever counter a bowser down smash.
Obviously but that's besides the point. I don't care about the competitive implication I just want to know if this is new or not, I don't give a **** if bowsers down smash sucks or if nobody plays roy that has nothing to do with my question, thanks for trying though.

RetroGamersGuru

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroGamersGuru
To answer the question, no this doesn't happen often. There aren't any invincibility frames on Bowser's Dsmash to explain this anyways. Also, Roy's counter is supposed to be very powerful, so it doesn't make sense to me that he only countered for 1%, unless it was right at the tip since Roy works in reverse.

vZakat

Half Genie
Roy's counter does 1.5 the damage of the move he counters. For example, countering a warlock punch would do about 50% damage with huge knockback while countering a fox laser would only do about 4% with very little knockback. I'm guessing because bowser's dsmash is multiple hits that each individual hit of it does very little damage, especially the first few hits. If you counter those hits I wouldn't be surprised of it doing very little damage.

To clarify, this wouldn't be the case with marth. Marth's counter has a set knockback and percent damage (I believe it's 7%) no mater what the move.

RetroGamersGuru

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroGamersGuru
Roy's counter does 1.5 the damage of the move he counters. For example, countering a warlock punch would do about 50% damage with huge knockback while countering a fox laser would only do about 4% with very little knockback. I'm guessing because bowser's dsmash is multiple hits that each individual hit of it does very little damage, especially the first few hits. If you counter those hits I wouldn't be surprised of it doing very little damage.

To clarify, this wouldn't be the case with marth. Marth's counter has a set knockback and percent damage (I believe it's 7%) no mater what the move.
Ok, that makes sense.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
the reason the second counter took 0% was because it staled. I think the percent value is rounded down every single time something stales, so if a 1% move stales, then it will just do knockback

Top Bottom