• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

1.16 predictions thread

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Back up your replays! It's that time again! Where we try to guess what the overlords think we need.
1.15 was very good to Samus, let's be clear it was an excellent patch.
It was also very useful indirectly for nerfs to the high tiers, (MK ladder is dead, Shiek nerfs in particular ) and we may hopefully see some additional nerfs to characters who are too strong, that's my #1 prediction.

Looking back at the patterns what they've been willing to change:
Grab endlag (praise the lord)
Hitboxes (F-air, N-air, and others)
Landing lag (F-air)
Kill power (N-air, F-tilt)
Longer lasting hitboxes (N-air)
Slight damage buffs (F-air, Up-B)
End-lag reduction (D-smash, bomb)
And they've even reversed decisions on F-tilt (again praise).

What they have been distinctly unwilling to change:
Missile, SM endlag i.e. basic zoning should never be on-par with true zoners
Grab startup (16 frames of utter death)
Teching from Up-tilt and D-air
Jab 1+2 combo range (which I'm fine with but many people are not)
F-smash not matching animation
D-air hitboxes not matching animation trail

I think basically EVERYONE would love to see changes to those aspects they have been most unwilling to change :p

But that's not what this thread is about - it's about *your* predictions.
Overall we did predict some of the most egregious things changed, but we never guessed when it would happen or how they would do it.

So my own is:
D-air hitbox increase, no tech on impact. (They did this for link, falco, it's not that crazy)
We may, may see F-smash hitbox improvement.
Incremental improvement of grab.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Assuming this patch isn't just to remove mods...

D Smash damage buff, the fact they changed something last patch (though it madde it no more usable) might show they're willing to make this move not absolute ****ing trash
Increased active frames on F Smash?
Hitbox changes for multihits
Some more base stat minor tweaks

Petroklos

Smash Cadet
Nothing. We had our buffs, I wouldn't expect more unless we see a 1.1.7

Boney

Smash Apprentice
It's that glorious time of the year for hapinness and meltdowns. Seeing we already got nice buffs last patch I'm not expecting much but I sure hope we don't get any undeserved nerfs.

I certainly wouldn't mind an extra % on tipper fsmash for more killing power, making it an even bigger threat since I doubt we'll get extra frames for the move.
I might catch some heat for this but 1 or 2 extra % for up tilt would be great as well. Sure it makes comboing windows smallers, but would recieve a much needed buff in kill power for the aerial version and would clank with bigger priority against weak moves. I doubt we would get less ending lag which would be much preferred so I'd be perfectly happy with this option as well.
Shaving a few frames of ending lag for up smash would be great seeing it's still a bit janky upon hit and it's so risky to throw out when you can even punish it by airdodging to the ground.
+ 1% tipper zair would be amazing.

Those are small easy changes that wouldn't change the character at all but would add up.

Not expecting:
any missiles buffs.
Reduced end lag for getting the full Charge Shot
Buffs for grabs nor throws.
Less end lag for dtilt/utilt
Any wild card buff like nair that overhauls a move.

Realistically expecting: Nothing :(

Gijsbeer

Smash Cadet
After last patch I expect nothing, we got a lot.

If we can't get any lag reductions on missles then could Super Missle please please please kill at around 110-150? Also Id lke better homing on the homing missles.

If we are treading into fantasy land id like:
-Kill throw
-Missle canceling
-Auto cancel dair
-Physical hitbox on bombs

but really im worried sakurai is going to take my ftilt away again

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
The only thing I'd particularly care for at this point is less janky hurtboxes. Had games even post-1.1.5 where my attack has ended or is just starting up and I've had people hit me with kill moves because of extended hurtboxes, or lingering ones.

Maybe an u-tilt speed up or change hitboxes so she sweetspots moves more often? I really dunno, I'm actually kinda happy with Samus as she is.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
  • Faster charge shot would be nice. (Samus had the accel charge in Metroid: Other M.)
  • Powerful super missiles. (Those missiles were powerful in MOM.)
  • Back throw as a kill move. (Samus threw Vorash against the wall using lethal strike.)
  • Increased running speed. (Samus in the power suit was faster than when she was outside of it in MOM.)

Just don't nerf Samus. She's bottom tier already, Nintendo. She hasn't been good since Super Smash Bros. Melee. Otherwise, just leave her as is if you plan on nerfing her.

Last edited by a moderator:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Wow, well the mood is not negative for once!

I'm hopeful for one, they buffed many characters many times, link for instance, so it's not impossible we get more. I also think making d-throw true combo easier is a possibility, it's not crazy since they greatly adjusted DA.

Petroklos

Smash Cadet
Wow, well the mood is not negative for once!

I'm hopeful for one, they buffed many characters many times, link for instance, so it's not impossible we get more. I also think making d-throw true combo easier is a possibility, it's not crazy since they greatly adjusted DA.
Oh, we can do other characters too? I'd expect them to buff the low tiers they didn't in previous patches and to nerf Bayo, maybe Rosaluma too.

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
D-air hitbox increase, no tech on impact. (They did this for link, falco, it's not that crazy)
This is a matter of Falco's dair (you can still tech Link's meteor dair on-stage) having the meteor hitbox specifically programmed for aerial opponents. A grounded opponent gets hit by the 80° hitbox because the meteor simply cannot connect. This happens with Duck Hunt and Palutena's dair as well. In order to remove Samus's dair being techable on-stage they'd have to add 2 entirely new hitboxes on the same frames the meteor happens. Not that crazy, no, but it's certainly not the only techable on-stage meteor, and it's not really the first move I'd personally worry about.

Down smash, on the other hand... good lord.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
JosePollo JosePollo You definitely can no longer tech Link's meteor d-air on stage. Same with Falco. It is a big deal because it occupies the mid-range of combo starters when DA is waning and landing D-air is actually quite difficult since it is beat out by so many moves and has a weird autocancel window that makes no sense. (The specific inputs to nail the edge of the autocancel are really not friendly).
D-smash kill power would be nice, pretty sure no one would be upset!

Petroklos Petroklos Well let's keep it to Samus, but I was mentioning how Link got a lot of the buffs we would want.
Yes, I too hope for a Rosa nerf. Bayo I'm still undecided but Rosa needs her hitboxes reduced.

Last edited:

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699

D Smash damage buff, the fact they changed something last patch (though it madde it no more usable) might show they're willing to make this move not absolute ****ing trash
Increased active frames on F Smash?
Hitbox changes for multihits
Some more base stat minor tweaks
This. If FSmash is 2 more active frames and USmash gets actually fixed. I'd be so happy.

Ometeotl

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zurdo
  • Faster charge shot would be nice. (Samus had the accel charge in Metroid: Other M.)
  • Powerful super missiles. (Those missiles were powerful in MOM.)
  • Back throw as a kill move. (Samus threw Vorash against the wall using lethal strike.)
  • Increased running speed. (Samus in the power suit was faster than when she was outside of it in MOM.)
Just don't nerf Samus. She's bottom tier already, Nintendo. She hasn't been good since Super Smash Bros. Melee. Otherwise, just leave her as is if you plan on nerfing her.
We don't talk about that game.

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
It was confirmed on the Japanese Nintendo website that balance changes are definitely happening, so yeah.

My wishlist:

- Up throw kills. Alternatively, an up throw that guarantees combos into screw attack at kill percents (like Bowser's up throw)
- Jab 1 links properly into jab 2
- Up smash fixed properly so you can't fall out of it
- Down smash kills before 250%
- More invincibility frames on Up B
- Charge shot chargeable in the air OR make charge shot not clank with stupid stuff like Ness' PK fire or ROB's gyro

Newbarktown

Smash Cadet
I've played roughly 15,000 games, 1,000 of which were with Samus. Of those 1,000 I specifically recall killing two (2) people with the POWER MISSILE. A Kirby near the edge at 170%, and a Little Mac that accidentally jumped into it off-stage.

Please Nintendo/Sakurai/Bamco just give me this one thing.

Blood Saved Me

Smash Rookie
NNID
Blood Saved Me
This is crazy but some more shield stun on power missiles; and the hitbox of the first hit of bombs extended a tad (so we can get more set ups). Also less lag on grab!

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Data miners say no changes except to Bayo, if you're not following the myriad threads out there.

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
Data miners say no changes except to Bayo, if you're not following the myriad threads out there.
This is correct.

However, as a lot of people have also pointed out, before Cloud was released, people datamined the patch and found only Cloud's data and Mii Costumes. When the patch dropped, we got more balance changes. This post explains it too http://smashboards.com/threads/1-1-6-patch-notes-patch-discussion.436806/page-2#post-21187326

While I still feel it unlikely, it's not entirely out of the question that there are more balance changes when the patch arrives.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Yep yep! I'm sorry if I sounded like I was trying to kill the fun. Not at all. We can speculate away and open the present when it arrives. :p

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
But for me, in terms of Samus changes i'd like to see/appreciate...

What I want more than anything
  • Jab links a correctly, or at least it links reliably to at least 80%.
  • Both missiles have a few frames less endlag. Homing Missiles are improved further in some form due to either 1% more damage or better homing capabilities. Super Missiles have a changed angle to something like 48° (from 60°) with a bit more KBG to let them KO slightly earlier, or just to pack more of a punch.
  • Dsmash deals at least 1% more damage, and has increased overall knockback values so the move KO's at percents lower than 200%.
  • Fair getting either an autocancel frame change so it AC's in a short hop, or has reduced landing lag to something that would be cool to work with.
  • Some form of throw changes. At least one of U/F/B throws getting a bit more KO potential would be nice, considering Samus's rather slow grab. Dthrow's angle going from 80° to 83° would also be great for combos.
What else would also be nice to have
  • Ftilt has a frame less startup, and a frame or two less endlag.
  • Dtilt deals 1% more damage, with a few more KBG points to give it more power at high percent.
  • Fsmash's sourspot hitbox has a few more KBG points to make it slightly better at KO percents. The sweetspot hitbox is also slightly bigger.
  • Charge Shot having some form of better priority.

Top Bottom