• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

0C3 Pearl - July 20-22! CHECK 1st ROUND SINGLES POOLS!

what type of crew battles would you want at 0c3? (plz vote only if u r coming)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

sephirothken

ken combo
BRoomer
update 7-16-07:
Pools for singles are here: http://www.disconets.com/knights/OC3 singles pools.txt
MAKE SURE YOU LET US KNOW IF WE PUT YOU IN THE SAME POOL AS YOUR FRIEND!!

update 7-13-07:
THE WINNER OF THE BANNER CONTEST IS ZJIIN ! ( 3 VOTES ) HONORABLE MENTION TO MILKTEA ( 2 VOTES ), ZOAP ( 1 VOTE ), AND ATLUS8 ( 1 VOTE )

we have flight info for the following people:
PC Chris - PHA
milktea - PHA
pkmvodka - KIRA
chesterr01 - KIRA
po pimpus - AZN_LEP
rastaimposta - AZN_LEP
hydro kirby - ARASH
ian - ARASH
zhu - ARASH
gimpyfish - AZN_LEP
krazykirbykid - KIRA
marcus - KIRA
jadin xquire - ARASH
CSX - ARASH
frozenserpent - ARASH
Papa Dav3 - KEN
firefly - KIRA
racer X - KIRA
darkmusician - KIRA
eddie - KEN
raphaelTMNT - RICKETY
leoTMNT - RICKETY
HK - KIRA
DieSlow (bus) - ARASH
GenesisFTW (bus) - ARASH
Gamepro (bus) - ARASH
sidefx - ARASH
germ - ARASH
bob$ - ARASH
vidjogamer - KEN
mike monkey - KEN
xsyven (please PM me)

if we missed anyone, pm me (sephirothken) immediately so we can arrange a pickup:)
see you guys next week!

ALSO, here are some phone numbers in case you need something

ARASH: (949) 294-6537
KEN: (917) 417-3830
(714) 651-6124
JENNY: (714) 553-4572
HELEN: (714) 467-6034
KIRA: (949) 533-7597
AZN_LEP: (760) 580-6774
RICKETY: (858) 776-3133

SCHEDULE for the tournament days.
JULY 20 - FRIDAY
REGISTRATION ------ 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM( during registration you will be fed )
CREW BATTLES: 5:00PM - MIDNIGHT
DINNER: 8:00 PM

JULY 21 - SATURDAY
DOUBLES: 10 AM - WHENEVER
LUNCH - NOON 12:00 PM
DINNER - 5 - 6 PM
1st ROUND OF POOLS
( SINGLES )

JULY 22 - SUNDAY
REST OF SINGLES: START 10 AM - WHENEVER FINISHED
LUNCH - NOON 12:00 PM
DINNER - 5 - 6 PM

AWARDS GIVEN TO WINNERS ( AFTER SINGLES )

update 6-28-07: information packet is here:
http://www.disconets.com/knights/Oc2InformationPacket.doc

update 4-26-07: fully confirmed and we will be able to sleep at the venue during the tournament!! buy tickets soon, LAX, SNA and LGB are all good airports.

Please Register Here http://www.nealpro.com/oc3/

Registering early will give you a guarenteed spot to participate in the tournament "if there happens to be a Cap" and guarenteed housing! PLEASE REGISTER IF YOU PLAN on going or are 100% going!

ALSO, the "WOBBLES" technique IS BANNED FOR THIS TOURNAMENT! If you are caught doing this technique for more than 2 seconds before throwing/smashing the opponent, you shall be punished!!

1st offense - forfeit the current match
2nd offense - forfeit the current set
3rd offense - forfeit the tournament (no refunds)

0C3 - ZERO CHALLENGE

Arash and the 0C staff present 0C3 - Zero Challenge! Come visit sunny Southern California in the middle of July and experience the best Smash talent ever aligned at one tournament, including the very best of Japan, Europe, and the rest of the international community.

The Details
Address:12603 Allard St
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670

Dates:
Friday July 20th - Sunday, July 22nd, 2007 (the weekend between FC and Evo west)

Times:
4:00 PM, 7/20/07: Sign-ups, begin tournament
Events to run through 12:00 AM Sunday

Spectator's fee:
$50.00. Covers to spectate for all events, as well as food and housing (see below)

Entry fee:
$75.00. Covers entry fees for all events, as well as food and housing (see below)

Everything is paid at the door. If you fail to Register and come to the tournament, spectators will be forced to pay $60 and people who are participating in the tournament will be forced to pay $100

Reason why is because we need to know an estimation on how many people plan on going and also to print out the brackets, do pools, prepare for how much food we need, etc etc. It is a hassle to do so, so please save us and you the trouble and register

Housing: Everyone who needs it is guaranteed housing! This time people can stay at the venue, so housing is guaranteed and plentiful:)

Your entry fee will pay for two meals a day (lunch and dinner). The meals are still being planned, but there will be no need to rush out to fast food joints in between matches; we'll bring the food to you!

Of coures, transportation is also on us! These are the airports we will be driving to and from:

* Los Angeles International (LAX)
* Long Beach Municipal (LGB)
* John Wayne (SNA)

Rules

0C2 will feature four main Smash tournaments:
Day 1 (Friday) - Crew battles, International Crews
Day2 (Saturday) - Finish International Crews, Doubles tournament
Day3 (Sunday) - Singles tournament

Your entry fee covers admission into all four events. Sorry, but declining entrance into any of the events will not prompt any refund.

Common rules

* Brackets
o Singles: players will be randomly assigned into 32 pools. Each player will play round-robin games against all other players in his/her pool. The four players with the best record in each pool will advance to a 128-man double-elimination bracket.
o Doubles: teams will be randomly assigned into 32 pools. Each team will play round-robin sets against all other teams in the pool. The top two teams from each pool will advance to a 64-team double-elimination bracket.
o Crews: rules TBD.
* Stages
o Random stages: Final Destination, Pokemon Stadium, Dreamland 64.
o Counterpick stages: Fountain of Dreams, Yoshi's Story, Battlefield.
o All other stages are banned. This is a compromise with the Japanese, who only play Final Destination and Dreamland 64.
o You will not be able to ban any stages.
* Controller ports
o Any disagreements over controller port assignments will be settled by a coin toss.
o Teams must use adjacent port numbers (one team on ports 1/2, the other on 3/4).
* All sets (both in pools and brackets) will be best of 3, with finals best of 5.
* Advanced slob picks will be in effect.
* Players may call a double-blind pick for the first game of a set.

A full rule set for all events will be posted at least two weeks prior to the tournament, but expect the rest of the rules to be similar to MLG standard rules. (no IC freeze glitch, peach wallbomb stall, etc. etc.)

Awards - we don't know yet, but it'll be more than last year for sure:) (>1200)

Sponsored by Get Your Tournament ( Your source for video game tournament news in California)

thanks-
ken

Zoap

Smash Master
Well FC is the 12-14 and Evo west is the 27-29 : /

Sadly I cannot say I will make a July tournament.

Husband

Smash Lord
Ken, I say you Challenge Evo and make it the same dates! See who really cares about OC and who doesnt!!! Only the real smashers will attend OC!!!

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
im a midwest smasher and if you make oc3 the same date as fcx, i would go to oc3. i might take a plane with eddie or something im not sure but keep posting details!

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Would it be possible to make OC3 during the week? That way we could avoid as much conflict with FC, and if it's after or before EVO West then people could go to both tournaments.

Helios

BRoomer
BRoomer
First weekend in July would render you no Europeans, second date no MW or EC players. Last weekend is Evo. You go figure =)

SynikaL

Smash Lord
What would be the point in trying to compete with Evo directly? That isn't going to help anyone, including ourselves. Evo South was one tournament, give the guys a chance. They're far from V-Games.

The more tournaments people have an option to go to, the better.

-Kimosabae

SynikaL

Smash Lord
I don't remember you having that attitude when MLG owed you more than that...for a MUCH longer period of time...

I don't think you're being fair, or very mature even.

Did I miss something? Is there a reason the community's all of a sudden trying to burn this bridge?

-Kimosabae

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I don't remember you having that attitude when MLG owed you more than that...for a MUCH longer period of time...

Did I miss something? Is there a reason the community's all of a sudden trying to burn this bridge?

-Kimosabae
MLG was professional about it, loved the game, had a decent grassroots movement, and sundance is amazing.

EVO doesn't have sundance.

Rickety

Peace and Love
Rickety

Hey everybody, Rickety here :]

Well I am going to go meet with the Club to see if we can confirm our venue! Yay! I'm so excited!<333

July , no matter what, seems like it will have too many awesome, can't-miss tournaments.

But I do want to be able to go to Evo West! I used to wish and dream that smash would be on the line-up there, and I am really excited to finally get to go and play some smash, CVS2, ST, and 3S! :] <3

If things pan out, and we are able to have the tournament at the current venue we want, Ken and I said the 19-21 of July seems to be the best way to go :]

If it turns out to not be a popular choice of dates, I can always try my best to change it :]

San Diego Love! <3

<3
rick(ety)

EDIT:

July:
Week 1: RoS4
Week 2: FC Next
Week 3: 0c3?
Week 4: Evo West

TOO GOOD!
I wanna go to all of them! :]

Tink

Smash Hero
unless you plan to go to OC3, then you shouldnt have an opinion on the date.

also!!!! i didnt think about going to OC3, then evo the next week! that sounds amazing.

Zoap

Smash Master
ok so i lied, I said i wouldnt be able to make a july tournament. But that is not true, I wont be making anything the first 2 weeks of July is better. Hence I didnt want it to conflict with Evo West as that was going to be the only tourney I could go to. However, if OC3 is the 19-21, I would infact be able to make both.

I vote for the 19-21.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
unless you plan to go to OC3, then you shouldnt have an opinion on the date.
You're right, other tournament hosts shouldn't have an opinion on something that could, potentially, be very damaging to the smash community.

Anyone who thinks burning bridges with Evo is a good idea needs to... actually think. And anyone who thinks parking OC next to FC is good for competition needs to as well. That will cannibalize attendance from both.

What are we, Walmart? Trying to drive the competition out of business?

Yeesh. Is the plane ticket cost THAT worth it?

Tink

Smash Hero
ROFL, lets think about this, FC is getting MW and EC. most of the MW arnt going to come anyways because they think that OC is competing with FC(which isnt true), so your left with the EC poeple, who will come to OC anyway, which was proven last year.

theres no reason to talk to tournament hosts at all. Its up to the OC3 staff, and whats best for them. there isnt anything going on during that time, that will be so big to drive competition away. they obviously looked this up.

also, i would really like to hear how this could "damage" the smash community? so far, evo hasnt proven to be a good tournament(for smash) and with brawl comming out around summer time, this is one of the last few BIG tournaments that will happen.

Husband

Smash Lord

-Kimosabae
Hey You.... Shut up!

I have a right to my on opinion. Ken asked what he wanted for the dates and I gave him a response and a reason to why.

When I make a Thread asking how you feel about me, You can post that response in there if you'd like.

Banksya

Smash Ace
husband you should build a bridge instead, one that leads to japan so no one has to pay for their tickets and they can walk to OC.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
ROFL, lets think about this, FC is getting MW and EC. most of the MW arnt going to come anyways because they think that OC is competing with FC(which isnt true), so your left with the EC poeple, who will come to OC anyway, which was proven last year.

theres no reason to talk to tournament hosts at all. Its up to the OC3 staff, and whats best for them. there isnt anything going on during that time, that will be so big to drive competition away. they obviously looked this up.

also, i would really like to hear how this could "damage" the smash community? so far, evo hasnt proven to be a good tournament(for smash) and with brawl comming out around summer time, this is one of the last few BIG tournaments that will happen.
1) It is very unlikely that brawl will be out this summer.

2) If Brawl does come out, how does that change anything? Do all of our slates wipe clean and we start anew? No, we will continue hosting "Smash" tournaments, so saying this is the last big tournament is horribly naive.

Ken in the OC2 Topic said:
Sephiroth Ken and the SoCal Smash community present 0C2 - Zero Challenge, the last great and truly international Melee tournament!
I'm terribly tired of hearing people say this about their tournament. It's clear at this point that Melee is not going to die before Brawl -- it's going to get larger. And when Brawl comes out, it will be even larger. There is no "last big tournament". Unless, of course, we decide to cannibalize each other and spurn organizations trying to help us grow.

3) Evo has hosted one tournament so far, and it was an oddity. The next ones will have more options in terms of time and rulesets. Continuing to have smash at Evo can only benefit the community, but continuing to burn bridges means we will remain isolated and "kiddie."

4) If OC is within a week of FC, then the two are competing, even if the hosts are not. Placing it on the same weekend is even more of a slap.

But you're right, acting unilaterally always works. Why build bridges when you can tear them down instead?

I'm frustrated with myself for adding to all of this, but I would much rather see these discussions actually lead somewhere. Having OC at the expense of Evo or others when it could easily be avoided is what is hurtful to the community. As I said, even an August date a week after Evo would be substantially healthier for the community, and less divisive to boot.

Banksya

Smash Ace
Perhaps its the inbreeding that goes on in the state that creates the brilliant gene pool. Not my parents of course...ahem.

but to be on topic and not get warned, I think we should have OC next December when the weather is nice.

P.S. I probably am not going.

jv3x3

Smash Champion
Ken call my cell.

Ill pm u the number

Edit: Actually if i have your number (got a new phone) ill call you. But if you dont hear from me in like a day just call me

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
tink i really want to go to oc3. im thinking we all fly out there (me u eddie vb etc) and makea vacation of it. first oc3 then evo. sound chill? also i HOPE oc3 competes with fc and cleans their clocks.

Jeffz0r

Smash Champion
EDIT:

July:
Week 1: RoS4
Week 2: FC Next
Week 3: 0c3?
Week 4: Evo West

TOO GOOD!
I wanna go to all of them! :]
Add AFC4 to week 2. A Big tourney in the Netherlands, planned right after RoS4, so more people from out of Europe would come, since it's for 2 tournaments instead of 1.
I really intended in coming to OC3, but if it's in July, then probably not.

Drephen

Smash Master
wasn't OC3 in August last year? Either way, as long as it doesn't conflict with FC, im gonna try to get a midwest group to go this year.

yay for final summer of melee!

Bailey

Smash Hero
What I am trying to do is get a bunch of EC smashers to go to FC, then OC3, followed by Evo. A pretty nice trip the thread is in regional zones if you have any ideas.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Yeah, having Evo right after OC3 can only help Evo, not burn it, unless everyone is burned out from oc3 so much they don't wanna enter another smash tournament, but that sounds for most part unlikely

San Diego for the win
here's an idea - HAVE AN AFTERPARTY IN TIJUANA MEXICO - BRING YOUR STATE ID'S/PASSPORTS LOOOOL :)

OMFG PARTY

Watty

Smash Lord
party?????

nah last yr I had to choose between MLG Orlando and OC, I picked Orlando and since ther eis no more MLG maybe this is the yr i bust a nut and go big and go to OC3.

Scav, you are correct this is not the end of SMASH, but this is hte LAST summer of MELEE
next summer having prolly 6+ months under are belt we will be holding Brawl tournies and not Melee ones. None of these people have aid the last truly international smash tournie, they have always used Melee

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
It's Mexico, age doesn't matter

... unless you pass for a 12 year old (which you dont); they too have standards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom