• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

0C3 Pearl - July 20-22! CHECK 1st ROUND SINGLES POOLS!

what type of crew battles would you want at 0c3? (plz vote only if u r coming)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
It's not just the prize money, it's where the hell did that extra 6k go.

"That bank robber stole from that bank, but this guy who had an account didn't care, so why should anyone care?"

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
cable: using 10, 10, and 5 as the amount of each entrance paid to go into prizes is simply insulting to those who went.

50 dollars is a gross overpricing for people to just go and spectate, its merely incentive to get people to pay the full 75.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Plairnkk's Oc3 Breakdown!

Hi guys!!!!! How are you all doing? I bet really well if your name is Ken or Manacloud.

Who wants to get together and break down the Oc3 prize pot? Oh, I do, I do!!

So here we go. There were 280 entrants in Oc3. The entry fee was $75 if you registered online, $100 on the door. But hey, I'll be nice. I'm just going to assume everyone only paid $75.

280 participants x $75 = $21,000.

Okay so that's a solid $21,000 in the pot.

Now i'm going to be nice and not add in any money gained from selling Tshirts or from spectator passes or donations, even though I know they gained money that way. So let's just try to break down this $21,000.

Event Payouts:

Singles
First place: Pc Chris: $1200
Second place: M2K: $600
Third place:Chu: $300

Singles payout: $2100

Teams
First place: King+Isai: $1200 - 600 a piece
Second place: Ken+Bombsoldier: $600 - 300 a piece
Third place: SS+Tang: $300 - 150 a piece

Teams payout: $2100

Total event payout: $4200

Recap: $4200/$21,000

Venue:

So I must say, there is no way in hell that venue cost $6k for 3 days. That's a blatant lie. But hey, let's pretend it does. (Note, the *pound* 2 venue cost $900 for 2 days)

Recap: $10200/$21,000

Food:

Food for two days at *pound* 2 costed me $500, so i'll just go out on a limb and say 3 days worth of food for this tournament cost $2k.

Recap: $12,200/$21,000

Bombsoldier and Disc plane tickets:

After asking plenty of sources, an average ticket from US to Japan usually costs $1000. So lets be fair, and place the prices at $1,500 for each tickets.

Bombsoldier+Disc tickets (which we really shouldn't be paying for anyway) : $3000

Recap: $15,200/$21,000

Okay so...

I've grossly overpriced everything here, and there still seems to somehow, be $5800 missing. Hmmm, Manacloud, Ken, any input here? You guys should post some documented proof as to where the money went just so myself, the rest of the smash community, and more more importantly, those who won the prizes can see why exactly at the biggest smash tournament ever they got such poor prizes.

So....

anyone have any ideas of what we can do?

Arash

Smash Lord
for the record, there were less than 280 people there, the reason it might say so in pools is because my singles data got erased before singles started, and i based the pools on much of what was posted in the first post of the thread. then tio started not letting me delete names, so i just left them in the pools and counted them as automatic wins to those in the pools. i would say that there were closer to 210 competitors, some of which left before singles started (???)

- to those that helped me out, i have no more words to express my gratitude (you all know who you are)

- to those that had fun, i am glad you did and thank you for coming:)

- to those that didn't have fun / hated the tournament, then i'm sorry and hope it's nothing personal

- to forward, you are the man

- and lastly, to the guy that stole washington crew's DSes, what the hell man? what is wrong with you?

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Don't compare anything to MLG. MLG ran for 2 days straight for $30 a person (which included singles and teams). Or you could just play teams. Or you could just play singles. The pay out for MLG? $2000 for first.
Oh wait.
17 people at MLG Vegas and $40,000 in prizes. Yea, MLG was certainly in Smash for the profit. MLG still loses money from running Halo/RV6/Gears/etc. They aren't trying to get money from entry fees, that isn't where their profit is built in (it costs almost in the vacinity of a half million dollars to run events now, do you think the 20-30k they get from entry fees is profit?

Anyways, this thread is moving super fast so I can't even find the post I'm responding too!

The jist though, while it wouldn't be to bad for tournament organizers to give themselves a little pat on the back for a weekend worth of work ($100, maybe $200), doing it with the idea that is it FOR PROFIT, makes it actually illegal, at least from what I've heard about running this type of thing.

DuKe™

Smash Journeyman
Lot of people from the south i thought would be there werent there good **** to Pc as well as M2K Chu, oh and good **** to wobbles no wobbling necessary

Lixivium

Smash Champion
for the record, there were less than 280 people there, the reason it might say so in pools is because my singles data got erased before singles started, and i based the pools on much of what was posted in the first post of the thread. then tio started not letting me delete names, so i just left them in the pools and counted them as automatic wins to those in the pools. i would say that there were closer to 210 competitors, some of which left before singles started (???)
I'm surprised Ken/Mana haven't come out and said so, if it were that simple.

peachori

Smash Journeyman
when i originally asked about spec fee for sunday only and no food, mana told me $30. i mean cmon, thats essentially charging me $30 just stand in the **** warehouse. that's ridiculous.

the part that really irks me is the low payout for the competitors and also the stupid idea of having a dvd that people have to pay for. you charge an assload for me to come watch, you dont compensate the winners enough and then say i have to pay to see videos online? bull****.

imo, the ONLY reason they should be selling dvds is if theyre in the hole from running the event, since they shouldnt have to pay out of pocket. if thats not the case, then the videos should be free. granted, its their tournament and they have the ability to do whatever they want but that doesnt make it right.

lastly, i think i might even give the benefit of the doubt to mana if he didnt come off like such a **** all the time. he might be a nice person, but he sure does well to hide it if he is. and its that kind of attitude that has people jumping on your back the second you do something even remotely questionable.

Lesheik

Smash Lord
when i originally asked about spec fee for sunday only and no food, mana told me $30. i mean cmon, thats essentially charging me $30 just stand in the **** warehouse. that's ridiculous.

the part that really irks me is the low payout for the competitors and also the stupid idea of having a dvd that people have to pay for. you charge an assload for me to come watch, you dont compensate the winners enough and then say i have to pay to see videos online? bull****.

imo, the ONLY reason they should be selling dvds is if theyre in the hole from running the event, since they shouldnt have to pay out of pocket. if thats not the case, then the videos should be free. granted, its their tournament and they have the ability to do whatever they want but that doesnt make it right.

lastly, i think i might even give the benefit of the doubt to mana if he didnt come off like such a **** all the time. he might be a nice person, but he sure does well to hide it if he is. and its that kind of attitude that has people jumping on your back the second you do something even remotely questionable.
Ah, so true... :cool:

Drephen

Smash Master
SCHEDULE for the tournament days.
JULY 20 - FRIDAY
REGISTRATION ------ 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM( during registration you will be fed )
CREW BATTLES: 5:00PM - MIDNIGHT
DINNER: 8:00 PM

JULY 21 - SATURDAY
DOUBLES: 10 AM - WHENEVER
LUNCH - NOON 12:00 PM
DINNER - 5 - 6 PM
1st ROUND OF POOLS
( SINGLES )

JULY 22 - SUNDAY
REST OF SINGLES: START 10 AM - WHENEVER FINISHED
LUNCH - NOON 12:00 PM
DINNER - 5 - 6 PM

AWARDS GIVEN TO WINNERS ( AFTER SINGLES )
it says 3 not 4 pm on the first day. 9 a.m. thing was ridiculous though (sleep in people!)

awards apparently werent given to m2k

I understand the whole "We can't disclose how many people will make it out of each pool" deal. But I sincerely hope nothing ridiculous goes down.

For example, letting only 2-3 players out in a 10 man pool. Considering that it's already very difficult to balance starting pools evenly, there are going to be a lot of screwed players if the numbers of advancing players are that low.

Just wanted to point that out.
while we aren't disclosing how many advance, rest assured it won't be something lame like 2-3 out of pools this competitive:)

also, last update of the night in like 2 minutes, good night everyone
man, that sure didnt happen. I mean i know that time was an issue and thats why only top 3 advanced but do you know why that happened? Cause Arash was doing it all by himself while the rest of you were doing god knows what? Preparing food, doing errands? Me and mathos by ourselves coulda completed the 1st round of pools in 3-4 hours easily.

You know how long the 1st pools took? From 10am to 8 pm. Lemme repeat that.10 A.M to 8 P.M
Horrible job running the tourney. No excuse for that. Many people flew from around the country to compete only to have the rules switched to find out that they didnt make it outta pools

heres how it went
i ask how many make it outta pools at different times of the day
10 A.M - 4 people make it outta pools
4. P.M - ummm sorry only 3 make it out
6 p. m - only 2 people make it out, sorry it is taking too much time
8 p. m - too many people are complaining so we are putting it back to 3

not to mention the massive amounts of unnecessary seed swtiching and tie breaking matches to confuse people more

also if you would ask mana, ken, arash, or any question about the tourney, you would surely get a different response

hey mana when do crew start tommorow?
mana - 8 am
ken - 9 am

crew didnt actually start untill around 10-10:30

when do the doors get locked
mana - like in 10 min ( it was around 10 pm)
ken - at 11:30

and bombsolider? ive read so much hype on how it is worth getting tons of donations to see this kid amazed people and what happens? he gets 17th. Honestly ive had more problems with mathos, dope, viperboy, and tons of other falcos then i did with this kid. Sure he was a good kid and seemed cool to hang out with but i mean YOU CHANGED THE WHOLE RULES OF THE TOURNEY TO ACCOMODATE THIS KID

Just FD, poke stadium , and dreamland on random? Do you know how hard it is for slower characters like gannon, samus, doc, and half the cast to win against spamming fox, falco, sheiks? Very very unbalanced

So bored without any counterpick stages. Nothing exciting at all.

unorganized, poooooooooorly run, not that great of food with small portions, amd what a ****ttttyyyyyyy venue.

i really appreciate you hosting this i really really really do. But you didnt do the things you promised to do and didnt live up to your expections. I mean for hours at the tourney i saw 5/6th of the staff doing nothing when plently of things needed to be done.

Do i regret going to OC3? Yes and im sure im not the only one. Done ranting

EDIT: If what alpha is saying about OC3 having iilegal operations with money hording and such, someone fimilar with law should step up and set something up.

Puffinator

Smash Ace
This post should end the criticism. If the winner of the tournament doesn't mind the prize money, who are you to judge? It's not like you guys won and want more money. I had a great time there, and apparently so did Pc.

BTW Pc, I was the guy in the room with that super old computer lol
Because this is PC's post, not M2k's post

Although i dont like M2k i feel sry for him he really deserves that money. he probably lost money coming from the east coast to this tourny, when in reality he shouldve made profit.

Maybe the money went to bombsoldier so he could start his own ice cream shop

NEW SHINE FLAVA

180OP

Smash Journeyman
Best thing to do is learn and move on as one person said.

If it is a huge tourney and you will have travel expenses make sure you know what the prizes are set at. You don't want to leave with a loss like M2K.

Most important thing is that the prize money be entrusted with an unbiased/trustworthy person (at non-professional tourneys like this). This way, even if the organizers incur a loss, the set prize money will reach the persons.

This tourney sounded like it had a lack of direction and communication.

LuCas23332

Smash Journeyman
Sorry if this is one of those time-wasting posts and seeing how some people are not in the mood right now for this stuff but I need to know:

Who got 1st/2nd/3rd/whatever place in singles, what was the prize (just being nosy), and how it went. It seems there are problems regarding bombsoldier and the tournament itself I see that.

edit: nevermind, noticed there is a tournament results board!

ThomaSexy

Smash Ace
I split money with m2k but what happened was he owned me 500$ from fc so i just gave him a 150$ to make it about even but im not sure what happened with his money situation i think he recived it im not sure tho. the money thing is a bit shady but regardless i think everyone had fun at the tournament and thats all that matters.

Prize money shouldn't be people's primary motive for going to tournaments. People pay to enter these tournaments for the love of the game and for the experience. If winning money was all that matters, then WC really won this tournament for making the most money. Even though EC won, a lot of people are more focused on the money than the tournament results. Don't let the issue of profits make this a bitter-sweet victory for you guys. All of the EC should throw a huge party for PC Chris when he gets home. Money comes and goes, but the pride for winning the biggest tournament ever is priceless. PC Chris has the right attitude here. There were 280 people who paid for 0C3. I seriously doubt that all 280 of them believed they were going to win and paid $75.00 hoping to make thousands of dollars in profits. So those who paid with the intent of having a good time had the right idea. PC, you have no idea how much respect I have for you for what you said above. That is showing some CLASS right there!

Although, I don't see anything wrong with making a profit. It costs Nike $2.00 to make a shoe and they sell them for $50.00. If you are against people making profits for selling a product or offering a service, then you can never make another purchase ever again and everyone should just quit their jobs and we should all just work for the good of the community and not for profit to survive. I don't see anything wrong with profit, BUT, this raises one question: To what degree is the profit reasonable?

And this is where I sympathize with the winners of the tournament. Although I don't know what other hidden costs people failed to recognize (Cost of renting a van, cost of gas from picking people up from airports, cost to the venue owners for electricity, cost to feed people, cost of extension cords, etc etc.) I do feel that payout was really low. I don't find "profit" to be an issue, but I do agree that "payout" is an issue. Although I can't do anything to change the payout, I do offer my sympathy towards the winners on that issue.

The moral of the story:

EC: I sympathize with you that the prize money was way too low. Money comes and goes, but I hope PC feels that in spite of that, his victory was priceless and no amount of money could ever take that pride away from him.

WC: I sympathize with you for having to deal with all the attacks about profit when people fail to realize all the hidden costs of running this tournament and just assume that they know how much of it (if any) was profit without really knowing 100% for sure.

~and to the Japanese players: I feel bad for them because I feel like everyone was out for their blood. Their Dad had a heart-attack, they had jet lag, and they seemed really bored. Everyone was more concerned about trying to beat them and prove that they weren't the best than they were concerned about their well-being. If you must know, Bombsoldier ***** M2K in teams while Ken took on Chu, but everyone (mostly East Coast) focuses on their bad matches just to hurt their reputation. You could say day 1 was Bombsoldier's good day and day 2 was M2K's good day. But no, everyone focuses on Bombsoldier's bad day (and not M2K's bad day) to purposely hurt his reputation. The poor guys has been through enough and everyone attacks him like vicious dogs. You guy should seriously be ashamed of yourselves. You're just as evil as some of the politicians out there.

But anyway, good job PC. And thanks to Bombsoldier and Disc for coming to our tournament even through the hard times. Most of you Smashers are awesome people. It's just the few immature trash talking ones here on the boards that try to ruin things with trash talk just to feel good about themselves. Most of you guys are really cool though.

180OP

Smash Journeyman
I bet after Forward beat Bombsoldier, the price to play him went from $20 to $0.

Were there any friendlies with Bombsoldier and Disc? Anyone paid the 20 bucks?

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
I'm going to close this thread as well to avoid all the incoming spam. Besides, any post-tournament discussion should go in the Tournaments Results room. Wait until a thread is made by the staffers (it was their tournament after all), then you can all pitch in what you want to say.

For the time being, go outside or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom