• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

In Progress (05/16/2017) New version! | [Balancing Link Project] - Balanced Link (v0.9)

Stormghetti

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
STRM#798
NNID
Stormghetti
"The year is 2:linkmelee:♢♢. Everyone plays Link at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on perfect zoning and spacing. The spacing metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to win against top tiers."

(05/16/2017) New! Version 0.9 is out! Go check the changelog.
Download link: https://www.mediafire.com/?24ggfdisxoufyvo
My balance philosophy is: fix what's broken, adjust what wasn't properly designed for competitive play (like Link's max arrow charging being too slow), and also speed up what's too slow to be used efficiently, but not to the point where it's too much.

So, it's been a while since I've released any new versions and I plan on releasing more as long as this project gets the exposure it needs (that means people using this in a competitive way. I'm not saying it should be used everywhere, but in order to improve this project, I need people to use it seriously so I can fix things).

I'm sorry if they come out of nowhere, but I've been busy with other things, and I didn't have any plans for a new update.

Hello and welcome to my first Melee project!

If you came here just to see what I did to Link, go ahead, but if you want to give feedback, please do so, because I want to know what others think about my changes on him so far.

It's literally what it is: a project to balance Link (just Link). It's still in progress and I got into Melee modding two days ago. I'd need help on some things, so any kind of help that pushes the project even 1% more helps a lot!

I play Link competitively and have more knowledge with him, so that's why I'm not doing this for any other character, and I also asked some top Link players for their help throughout the balancing.

Since Melee Link is considered not viable by many, I decided to get into Crazy Hand and try balancing him, but not a lot, as opposed to SD Remix. In SD Remix, he has:

• Less landing lag on Up-Air and D-Air, which is unnecessary since they're not supposed to be used a lot in the neutral and they're good combo tools already, so that makes him way better.
  • All aerials (If I remember correctly) have more knockback, which is not necessary on all of them.
  • D-Tilt is too fast, which is too much. It's so fast you can get cheap kills (it feels like Marth's D-Tilt, to be honest), and adding the meteor hitbox on the tip just makes it too good.
And among other unnecessary changes.

The folder of the download contains a changelog, but in case you just came to see how it's like, I'll post it here (also, I'm aware it's hard to see the actual changes from vanilla to the latest version of my project, so I decided to make a 2nd changelog for that! I also decided to get a bit more technical with the changelog, so if you wanted to see more in depth details, you're welcome :p):

Changes on v0.9 Balanced Link:

-Dash Initial Velocity: 1.3 > 1.4

-Dash & Run Terminal Velocity: 1.3 > 1.4

-Jab 3: BKB: 10 > 20

-F-Tilt: BKB (tip and closer hitboxes): 15, 12 | KBG (tip and closer hitboxes): 100

-F-Air:

1st hit: BKB: 5 > 10 | KBG: 100 > 105

2nd hit: BKB: 0 > 5 | KBG: 90 > 105

-N-Air:

KBG: 100 > 110 | Autocancel: frame 4 > 2

-B-Air:

1st hit: WDSK: 0 > 40 | Damage: 7 > 6, 5, 6 | Angle: 361 > 82, 78, 74

2nd hit: KBG: 100 > 110 | IASA: 30 > 27

[FSMs]:

AttackAirB (0x46)

Starting Frame: 24 | Multiplier: 1.2

-Arrows got some charging velocity multiplier changes and the gravity and weight are back to normal (0.053 and 0.698).

-Z-Air:

BKB: 30 > 60 | KBG: 40 > 60 | Terminate collisions: 18 > 20

*There's a code in the thread that disables Link's Z-Air and grabs being hard-coded, allowing any other subaction edits besides hitbox edits to work. Compatible with Young Link as well. Please use it, because it will allow his Z-Air and grabs' hitboxes to last longer.

Changes on v0.8 Balanced Link:

-Up-Smash now kills even earlier (don't worry, it's nowhere near like Fox's Up-Smash. KBG: 95 > 100).

-D-Smash now kills earlier (KBG: 90 > 105).

-F-Air's first hit now has more BKB to make him stronger when it comes to countering Crouch Canceling (BKB: 6 > 10).

-Reduced BKB on Up-Throw (35 > 32).

-Reverted Up-B to NTSC Up-B (now semi-spikes like it used to, but has a BKB of 55 instead of 60).

Changes on v0.7 Balanced Link:

-Up-Smash now has an IASA frame of 56 instead of 60.

-Up-Smash now kills a bit earlier (KBG: 92 > 95).

-D-Smash now comes out on frame 7 instead of frame 9 to help his Crouch Cancel game.

-Reverted angle settings on D-Tilt to vanilla (70 > 80 tip. 270 > 280 closer hitboxes).

-Reverted damage on D-Tilt to vanilla as well (9 > 11 tip. 8 > 11 closer hitboxes).

-Link can now act out of Up-Throw a bit earlier and it now puts the opponent in tumble at lower than 17% (BKB: 24 > 35. KBG: 230 > 220). There's many times where Link mains would rather use D-Throw instead of Up-Throw because it has a lot more of follow-ups and because it's faster. Many other characters get benefits out of Up-Throw, but Link not that much.

Changes on v0.6 Balanced Link:

Yes, I know it's a lot of changes, but they're slight changes, so don't panick.

-Fixes on Up-Smash to make it so it works way better on floaties and also Fast Fallers. Because Melee has very strong SDI, you may not always get a confirmed 2nd or 3rd hit, so be careful. Depending on which type of character you play against, the following will happen:

- Floaties: most will get knocked too far by the first hit if they're airborne to even get sent into the other hits. If they're on the ground, they'll be sent successfully into the 2 other hits and if they don't SDI away.

- Fast Fallers: they'll get hit by the 3 hits even if they're airborne, unless they SDI away.

-Reverted all knockback settings on the last hit of Up-Smash to vanilla. I forgot about "more knockback = more hitstun" so now instead of 80 KBG on the last hit, it has a KBG of 92 and the same amount of BKB as vanilla (90).

"Why not make it so the 2 hits have almost no knockback like in SD Remix so floaties also don't get knocked too far by the first hits while they're airborne?"
Because that way the hits are not true. You may say they're too fast to react to them, but you can just shield them, attack or dodge them in some way, and that's too janky. Multi-hit moves are not supposed to be always true, that's correct, but when the opponent doesn't SDI away and actually gets hit, the hits should connect decently.

Balancing a multi-hit move (especially a 3 hit one) is hard because of how strong SDI is in Melee and because of how complex knockback settings are, as I said earlier, but they still need to connect properly.

-Link is known to have a predictable recovery since the first Smash Bros., and they upgrade it as new Smash games get released (Smash 4, for example, where Link has the better recovery there). I didn't touch his aerial Up-B, but I sped up a bit his tether grab jump animation so he can jump out of it a bit earlier, making it a bit safer!

-As some of you may know about Link: he performs better in NTSC than in PAL. Why? Because in NTSC, his grounded Up-B sends you at a semi-spike angle, just like Fox's Shine. This was changed from NTSC to PAL because it was too cheap (it could kill at 0% if you edgeguard afterwards). What was changed? The lingering hit sent you at a Sakurai angle (361) instead of an angle of 0 and the BKB was changed from 60 to 55. I changed the angle, but not the knockback, because I thought my Link would be a bit too good if he could kill that early because of the angle, given the tools he has now, especially with his better side throws. I hope you all understand this change.

-Jab 1 now comes out on frame 5 instead of frame 6 and lasts 5 frames instead of 3 to match the frontal sword trail better (it had to last for 5 frames because it starts 1 frame earlier than before). It also has an IASA of 19 instead of 20 now.

-Jab 2 lasts one more frame (4 in total) to match the sword's trail perfectly and it also has an IASA of 17 instead of 18 now.

These Jab changes not only allow Link to prevent attacks better from above as an anti-air, but they also make him stay safer, knowing the longer lasting hitboxes will cover more approaches than before if the Jabs are well-timed.

-Made Up-Tilt's tip hitbox a bit bigger to match the sword's trail a bit better.

-F-Tilt's hitboxes now come out sooner (frame 13 instead of frame 16) and last a bit longer (5 frames instead of 4).

-F-Tilt has slightly more BKB (5 > 10 on the first hits, 2 > 7 on the late hits) so it's safer, but the KBG is the same as the old F-Tilt KBG I gave him.

-Changed IASA frames on Dash Attack (40 > 38), which makes a lot of difference, despite being a small change. In vanilla Melee, Link's DA is great, but against top tiers it's a bit more punishable, so this change will make it a bit safer, but still punishable when shielded or avoided, of course.

-Made the tip of DA deal the same amount of damage as the rest of the hitboxes. For some reason, that hitbox deals 9 of damage while the others deal 11, so (9 > 11).

-Down-Tilt is now a bit faster, but not so fast. The beginning of the animation is sped up so the hitboxes comes out in frame 11 instead of frame 14.

-Changed IASA frames on D-Tilt from 32 > 30.

-Reduced the duration of D-Tilt a bit so you can avoid getting hit better if you miss, but D-Tilt is still a commitment, just not as much!

-Reduced the angles of D-Tilt's hitboxes (80 > 70 on the tip, 280 > 270 on the closer hitboxes) to compensate the speed buffs, so now it's easier to DI away and Link won't get so many follow-ups/easy kills. If the opponent DIs in, that may lead into a kill confirm for Link (just like in vanilla Melee).

-Damage was also decreased on D-Tilt to compensate the speed buffs (11 > 9 for the tip, 11 > 8 for the meteor hitboxes).

-Increased BKB on F-Air (5 > 6) and decreased the KGB (100 > 98) so you're not in unreal amounts of hitstun when you get hit by it.

-Increased damage on F-Throw and B-Throw (3 > 4). Just a small change so it doesn't look as weak.

-Increased BKB on F-Throw so it's as safe as B-Throw (45 > 50).

-Reduced angle on F-Throw (55 > 50).

-Decreased BKB on B-Throw so now both throws have the same knockback (55 > 50).

-Decreased KBG on F-Throw and B-Throw so they're not kill throws anymore (110 > 100).

-Removed weight-dependant knockback on F-Throw and B-Throw, because they didn't need it (for some reason, inside of those throws, a certain section of hitboxes had a weight-dependant knockback of 90, and I removed that).

-I got to figure out how to make arrows charge faster, so now they take 40 frames to be fully charged instead of 60! (Arrow charging speed: 1.5)

I wanted to say that Smash 4 was a great inspiration when I balanced Link, because Link there is arguably the most balanced Link in Smash, so he can compete better there with the rest of the cast. This is usually a matter of opinions, but Link in Smash 4 is pretty great when dealing with top tiers and other lower tiers, as opposed to Link in Melee, 64 or Brawl. Link in Melee can take the lead decently and kill quite early, Brawl Link can zone out characters better and kill much earlier than in Melee (especially with DACUS), etc.

Changes on v0.5 Balanced Link:

-Changed some angles on Up-Smash and reduced KBG on the 3rd hit (90 > 80).

-Increased KBG on F-Tilt (87 > 88). Looks small, but it actually makes a difference.

-For those who liked the Down-B change... It's gone. Down-B now has no changes from vanilla. Re-grabbing the ledge after jumping out of it and inputting Down-B is nice, but because bomb pulling being faster made that possible, it encourages the player to spam bombs way faster, and Melee being a game with only 3 characters with projectiles on 3 of their special attacks makes it harder to dodge Link's bombs.

Changes on v0.4 Balanced Link (thanks to Ripple, the creator of SD Remix, for helping me understand Crazy Hand more):

-Changed jumpsquat frames from 4 > 5 because Link's not supposed to be that quick.

-BIG NEWS! Up-Smash was (almost) fully edited! Hitboxes now come out faster, they're slightly bigger and last a big longer and the entire move is overall faster now! Now, you may think it's just another Up-Smash change that will make it so it connects better on Fast Fallers, but because Up-Smash is now faster and has WDSK, BKB, KBG changes, it connects with floaties as well! For as long as Melee has existed, it was used as an anti-air tool against floaties, because of its high knockback settings, so it barely connected. I tried really hard and (kind of) fixed that! Don't worry, it doesn't kill really early because it's faster now. It may look and sound (because since it's faster, that means audio comes out faster) a bit silly, but it works better now! This Up-Smash is still experimental, but I put a lot of work in it, so go test it out and give me some feedback on it!

-Changed IASA frames on Up-Smash (58 > 60).

-Reduced KBG on F-Air (105 > 103).

-Few minor nerfs on arrows.

Changes on v0.3 Balanced Link:

-Less IASA frames on Up-Smash because I decided it's actually too punishable: IASA: 65 > 58

TODO: maybe make arrows not as fast or something like that.

Changes on fixed v0.2 Balanced Link:

-Less KBG on Up-Smash so it doesn't kill as early (sorry, I couldn't test Up-Smash when I released v0.2 :/).

Changes on v0.2 Balanced Link:

-Faster bomb pulling so now you can drop from the ledge > Double Jump > Pull out a bomb at the same time > grab the ledge automatically
without needing to Up-B, as opposed to vanilla Melee, and this also makes him throw bombs faster, which is really helpful.

-More BKB on Up-Smash so you don't get as many combos out of it even at 0%.

-Less KBG on F-Air: 107 > 105

One thing I forgot to do on v0.1 but that I included in v0.2:

-Safer third hit of Jab: BKB: 10 > 12

Changes on v0.1 Balanced Link:

-Faster F-Tilt, but weaker to compensate the speed buff (KBG: 90 > 87).

-Better Up-Smash (not completed for now. Changes: angles, hitboxes' sizes, BKB, KBG and WDSK.
Also, IASA frames were changed: IASA: 52 > 65. That sounds like a lot, but since his Up-Smash connects better now, it needs to be slower so he
doesn't get easy combos out of it).

-Slightly better F-Air for killing (KBG: 100 > 107).

-Better F-Throw (Throw: BKB: 25 > 45 | Release: BKB: 40 > 50).

-Better B-Throw (Throw: BKB: 24 > 50 | Release: BKB: 40 > 55).

-Frames until max arrow angle: 60 > 35 (I don't know how this works, to be completely honest)

-Arrow charging speed: 1 > 1.63

-Uncharged arrow velocity multiplier: 1.3 > 1.8

-Charged arrow velocity multiplier: 5 > 5.5

-Arrow gravity: 0.053 > 0.07

-Bomb HP: 6 > 5 (This helps a bit more during bomb recovering, but not so much, and also makes them easier to explode when they
get hit, making them not bounce as much)

-Jumpsquat frames changed to 4 instead of 6.

-Attributes:

Dash Initial Velocity: 1.3 > 1.4

Dash & Run Terminal Velocity: 1.3 > 1.4

Jumpsquat frames: 6 > 5

-Jab 1:

Start of hitboxes: frame 6 > 4 | Terminate collisions: 3 > 6 | IASA: 20 > 19

-Jab 2:

Terminate collisions: 2 > 4 | IASA: 18 > 17

-Jab 3:

BKB: 10 > 20

-Up-Tilt:

Size on the tip's hitbox: 900 > 1100 | IASA: 32 > 30

-F-Tilt:

BKB (tip and closer hitboxes): 15, 12 | KBG (tip and closer hitboxes): 100 | IASA: 40 > 39

[FSMs]:

AttackS3 (0x37):

Starting Frame: 0 | Multiplier: 1.3

Starting Frame: 15 | Multiplier: 1

-D-Tilt:

IASA: 32 > 30

[FSMs]:

AttackLw3 (0x3B):

Starting Frame: 0 | Multiplier: 1.3

Starting Frame: 14 | Multiplier: 1

-Dash Attack:

Hitbox ID 3's damage: 9 > 11 | IASA: 40 > 38

-Up-Smash:

Start of 1st hit's hitboxes: frame 11 > 10

BKB: 40 > 80 | KBG: 100 > 0 | WDSK: 26, 30, 33, 33 > 40 | Angle: 98, 98, 98, 98 > 100, 98, 98, 98 |

Sizes: 800, 800, 800, 500 > 1200, 1200, 1200, 700 | Terminate collisions: 5 > 7

Start of 2nd hit's hitboxes: frame 26 > 24

BKB: 0 > 48 | KBG: 100 > 0 | WDSK: 30, 33, 37, 40 > 55 | Angle: 90 > 98 | Sizes: 800, 800, 800, 500 >

1200, 1200, 1200, 700 | Terminate collisions: 3 > 7

Start of 3rd hit's hitboxes: frame 41 > 40

KBG: 80 > 100 | Shield Damage: 0 > 5 | Sizes: 800, 900, 800, 500 > 1500, 1500, 1500, 800

[FSMs]:

AttackHi4 (0x42):

Starting Frame: 5 | Multiplier: 2

Starting Frame: 7 | Multiplier: 1

Starting Frame: 18 | Multiplier: 1.7

Starting Frame: 23 | Multiplier: 1

Starting Frame: 32 | Multiplier: 1.6

Starting Frame: 40 | Multiplier: 1

-D-Smash:

Both hitboxes: KBG: 90 > 100

[FSMs]:

AttackLW4 (0x43):

Starting Frame: 5 | Multiplier: 1.5

Starting Frame: 8 | Multiplier: 1

-F-Air:

1st hit: BKB: 5 > 10 | KBG: 100 > 105

2nd hit: BKB: 0 > 5 | KBG: 90 > 105

-N-Air:

KBG: 100 > 110 | Autocancel: frame 4 > 2

-B-Air:

1st hit: WDSK: 0 > 40 | Damage: 7 > 6, 5, 6 | Angle: 361 > 82, 78, 74

2nd hit: KBG: 100 > 110 | IASA: 30 > 27

[FSMs]:

AttackAirB (0x46)

Starting Frame: 24 | Multiplier: 1.2

-F-Throw and B-Throw:

BKB: 25 > 50 | KBG: 110 > 100 | Angle on F-Throw: 55 > 50

-Up-Throw:

BKB: 24 > 32 | KBG: 230 > 220

[FSMs]:

ThrowHi (0xF9):

Starting Frame: 40 | Multiplier: 1.6

-Grounded Up-B:

2nd hit: BKB: 60 > 55 | KBG: 100 | Angle: 0º

*This is his NTSC Up-B with just less BKB.

-Arrows:

Frames until max arrow angle: 60 > 40
Arrow charging speed: 1 > 1.5
Uncharged arrow velocity multiplier: 1.3 > 1.8
Charged arrow velocity multiplier: 5 > 5.5
Arrow gravity: 0.053 > 0.07
Arrow weight: 0.698 > 1.4

Tl;dr: they go further even uncharged, you can jump out of them faster mid-air and they take 40 frames to fully charge instead.

-Bombs now have an HP of 5 instead of 6.

-Tether grapple (FSMs):

CliffJumpSlow2 (0xE2):

Starting Frame: 0 | Multiplier: 1.1

Starting Frame: 13 | Multiplier: 1.3

-Z-Air:

BKB: 30 > 60 | KBG: 40 > 60 | Terminate collisions: 18 > 20

*There's a code in the thread that disables Link's Z-Air and grabs being hard-coded, allowing any other subaction edits besides hitbox edits to work. Compatible with Young Link as well. Please use it, because it will allow his Z-Air and grabs' hitboxes to last longer.

Code to remove hard-coded Z-Air and grabs (credits by UnclePunch):
Code:
042a7718 60000000
Sorry if I release so many versions, but I'm still kind of new to Crazy Hand, how it works with angle changes and all.

Read-me with full instructions is in the folder, so if you can try him out, make sure to give feedback. Have fun!

Last edited:

PikaSwag

Smash Rookie
Link's down air spikes on sweetspot right? or was it just Ylink

Stormghetti

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
STRM#798
NNID
Stormghetti
New version! v0.4 is out and this time it improves Up-Smash way better than before, along with some other changes.

Stormghetti

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
STRM#798
NNID
Stormghetti
Version 0.6 is OUT! It includes way more changes than before with the help of another Link main! Go check it out, but don't panick with the changes, they're only light changes.

Last edited:

Stormghetti

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
STRM#798
NNID
Stormghetti
Version 0.8 is out after a long time! Make sure you read my message on the very 1st post.

Stormghetti

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
STRM#798
NNID
Stormghetti
Version 0.9 was just released, including major changes to B-Air, a code to make Z-Air and grabs be able to be edited (allowing subaction edits to be possible besides hitbox edits, thanks to UnclePunch), better 2nd hit of F-Air, etc. Go check it out!

Top Bottom