• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

0%-KO Rosalina

Nobody900x

Smash Rookie
So I’m a very new meta knight main but I found this new combo and I’m having trouble repeating it. It’s a 0-KO combo on Rosalina. So it’s grab-back throw-dash attack (very end of you attack)-then your classic 6x up airs-up B. I doubt this is a true combo and I believe can be jumped out of before you can dash attack and I don’t think it works if they DI away from you. But I did this against a level 6 if that means anything. I believe you need to fast fall on the first two up airs because of the low percents. But if someone way more experienced could help me I would appreciate it. If you need any information ask and I’ll see if I can provide anything pertaining to this combo.

Nobody900x

Smash Rookie
Oh, haha didn't notice I put it in the Ultimate section. Thank you! I was able to replicate it recently. I notice I have a hard time with a lot of simple moves such as tilts and ariels. is tap jump vbetter or worse and I heard that changing R stick to attack caan help with that.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I kinda use this setup for every character, but Meta Knight is what made me start using it. I use the Right stick to attack because it makes it so you don't lose momentum when you attack. I set Right bumper to jump because it's a tad faster than the trigger, and my thumbs are already busy doing other things. I still do terrible with the ladder combo, but at least I can do it sometimes now, whereas before it felt like it was just kind of janky.

Of course if you ever pick anyone other than Meta Knight they might use a different control scheme. Also take a look at BIDOU. Smash Corner's BIDOU video It really changes up everything a lot. I haven't looked into BIDOU towards specific characters much so I don't know what it does for Meta Knight, would have to ask others. I just didn't play with BIDOU because BIDOU doesn't allow Link to do some of his special stuff, and considering I was best with Link at the time I learned about BIDOU, it turned me off to it a bit. I'm still curious about it because it does help quite a few characters, and you can tell when someone is using BIDOU just by the way they move when you fight them. At this point I'm just going to wait to see if it's in Ultimate, and if it is I'll probably use it. If not..... I might use BIDOU exclusively for whenever I use Smash 4 if for some reason I want to play Smash 4 instead that day.

I'm sure there's other control schemes out there. These are just the two I like.

As for tap jump I think it's just personal preference. I can't really think of anything it would effect when you can use the right stick for up aerials and up tilts. I haven't had tap jump on myself, but I don't think that would even effect up smash either. There's probably something really big I'm missing as I'm no expert on control schemes.

Nobody900x

Smash Rookie
Thank you for the right stick advice. I changed it today and holy crap tilts are now so easy. And I made my x jump and it's been helping with short hops. I tried bumber thinking it would help but I don't know why my brain cannot make my fingers work together. So I just roll my finger off of x and onto a for ariels and it's working great. My ladder combo is suffering even against rosalina (I always practice against rosalina because I found she is the easiest) but I guess that's to expect since I just changed my whole ariel game. Thank you a lot for the advice for the stick and tap jump off, makes everything easier. Also o you know any meta knight kill combos? The only ones I really know is the ladder combo to up B, or ladder combo off stage to Nair, and depending on wieghts and % downthrow to up B... I know these are his most common but I was wondering what his kill moves are. Obviusly up B but I always struggle to finish stocks, but getting % has never been hard for me.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Whatever control scheme works, everyone is different. =)

Look at smash corner's meta knight combo video again, it pretty much has all the normal combos Meta Knight has. As with any character you do have to do labbing yourself so you can understand the character better since there will always be times where a new situation arises and you might not see it again, so being able to adapt is just as important as knowing how to do combos. After all, if you pull the same combos off over and over again, the opponent will know what you are doing and avoid it.

Just remember what things can KO.
Forward Smash - It's very powerful and it's very safe to throw out because there is almost no end lag. Just beware of being attacked from above as it only covers the height of Meta Knight even if it covers rather far in front of him so you can't just be dumb with it.
Up Smash - Just be careful of small characters as they may airdodge through and punish since they might not get hit when on the ground. It's very easy to hit most characters in the roster with Up Smash. Not as powerful as Forward Smash or Dimensional Cape but it's still pretty strong.
Back air - You better be good at knowing the ways to turn around quickly in order to throw this out since it has decent range, lingers a bit and and is very powerful. Just be careful though, it can be a bit of a commitment with how long you'll be attacking.
Dimensional Cape - Not something you'll use as a KO move in every match, but you have to remember that it is there because there are definitely times where it's a good idea. It's also usable for recovery and positioning too, and sometimes you can use the attack instead. Just remember the move has quite a bit of endlag, and significantly more when you attack with it making it rather easily punished hard.
You already know about off-stage nair, but just remember if you want a little more knockback try to get that early hit.
Up Throw - It won't KO for a long time, but it's a rather reliable KO if you just have a very hard time KOing for way too long to the point where the opponent is getting 170% or higher and you're unable to reliably get down throw -> Up B. However, if you're on battlefield, the KO % can be much lower if you hit them on a platform, especially the top platform.

Of course this applies to all characters, but knowing your opponent is very important. Both character and player. What may work on one character may not work on another. While one way might be effective at KOing one player may not be the best at KOing another even if they are using the same character, so be sure to find the weaknesses in your opponent's playstyles, but remember they are trying to exploit your weaknesses too and adapt to fix their weaknesses in the process too. Getting good at this will help you know when to do your KO moves as they will come naturally. If you get desperate for a KO, the opponent will take advantage of that.

If you haven't already, watch some of your matches to see what you can improve upon. What mistakes did you make? If the other player was very good then think about multiple ways about how to avoid the ways they put you into bad situations. It helps more than you might think.

That's some things off the top of my head. If you haven't already, look at some Meta Knight guides. They won't tell you everything and there will be things you have to experience yourself to learn, but guides will drastically speed up how fast you pick up everything else in the game.

Also be sure to ask multiple people, everyone has different opinions and asking different people and watching different top level players will give you a more well-rounded idea of how you should play. I'm not a top level player, I just do very well against most people. Mainly because I read my opponents constantly since I don't do enough labbing to have full control of a character (4 frame short hops are my bane but I'm getting better at it). I can only give you a headstart, but you'll need to find someone else if you want the ultra specific stuff about top level play when you are ready.

Nobody900x

Smash Rookie
Whatever control scheme works, everyone is different. =)

Look at smash corner's meta knight combo video again, it pretty much has all the normal combos Meta Knight has. As with any character you do have to do labbing yourself so you can understand the character better since there will always be times where a new situation arises and you might not see it again, so being able to adapt is just as important as knowing how to do combos. After all, if you pull the same combos off over and over again, the opponent will know what you are doing and avoid it.

Just remember what things can KO.
Forward Smash - It's very powerful and it's very safe to throw out because there is almost no end lag. Just beware of being attacked from above as it only covers the height of Meta Knight even if it covers rather far in front of him so you can't just be dumb with it.
Up Smash - Just be careful of small characters as they may airdodge through and punish since they might not get hit when on the ground. It's very easy to hit most characters in the roster with Up Smash. Not as powerful as Forward Smash or Dimensional Cape but it's still pretty strong.
Back air - You better be good at knowing the ways to turn around quickly in order to throw this out since it has decent range, lingers a bit and and is very powerful. Just be careful though, it can be a bit of a commitment with how long you'll be attacking.
Dimensional Cape - Not something you'll use as a KO move in every match, but you have to remember that it is there because there are definitely times where it's a good idea. It's also usable for recovery and positioning too, and sometimes you can use the attack instead. Just remember the move has quite a bit of endlag, and significantly more when you attack with it making it rather easily punished hard.
You already know about off-stage nair, but just remember if you want a little more knockback try to get that early hit.
Up Throw - It won't KO for a long time, but it's a rather reliable KO if you just have a very hard time KOing for way too long to the point where the opponent is getting 170% or higher and you're unable to reliably get down throw -> Up B. However, if you're on battlefield, the KO % can be much lower if you hit them on a platform, especially the top platform.

Of course this applies to all characters, but knowing your opponent is very important. Both character and player. What may work on one character may not work on another. While one way might be effective at KOing one player may not be the best at KOing another even if they are using the same character, so be sure to find the weaknesses in your opponent's playstyles, but remember they are trying to exploit your weaknesses too and adapt to fix their weaknesses in the process too. Getting good at this will help you know when to do your KO moves as they will come naturally. If you get desperate for a KO, the opponent will take advantage of that.

If you haven't already, watch some of your matches to see what you can improve upon. What mistakes did you make? If the other player was very good then think about multiple ways about how to avoid the ways they put you into bad situations. It helps more than you might think.

That's some things off the top of my head. If you haven't already, look at some Meta Knight guides. They won't tell you everything and there will be things you have to experience yourself to learn, but guides will drastically speed up how fast you pick up everything else in the game.

Also be sure to ask multiple people, everyone has different opinions and asking different people and watching different top level players will give you a more well-rounded idea of how you should play. I'm not a top level player, I just do very well against most people. Mainly because I read my opponents constantly since I don't do enough labbing to have full control of a character (4 frame short hops are my bane but I'm getting better at it). I can only give you a headstart, but you'll need to find someone else if you want the ultra specific stuff about top level play when you are ready.
Ok, thank you so much for the info. I watched the guide and learned many things like his Bair having insane knockback and low end lag on his Fsmash. Thank you for taking the time to reply and again thank you for the button suggustions, only been using them for less than two hours and I already am better in the neutral by being able to being ariels attacks to the ground. Sorry to keep bugging you, but what makes Meta Knights bad matchups? I know floaty characters are his best so fast fallers are a pain, but like in the neutral what is his bad matchups? I tend to struggle against fast characters in general but it seems that range characters kinda have the edge simply because meta knight cannot close the gap without jumping in which is kinda dangerous, or dashing and shielding in which can get predictable. Like he doesn't have anything to throw out to pressure while you approach, say like Mario's fireballs. What are some matchups that you would consider "counters"

Last edited:

Keeshu

Smash Ace
When it comes to matchups, I cannot really help you as I haven't looked at certain things and I've never gone to a tournament, much less a large tournament.

Now I could be wrong about this, but personally I feel that trying to close the gap is the wrong way to think about playing Meta Knight. Quite a few people consider Meta Knight to be a bait & punish type of character. You need to have patience when playing Meta Knight, especially since he lacks a projectile to force an approach like Sheik can. Remember that most longer ranged or projectile heavy characters usually have more end-lag on them.

I'll try to get back to you later today as I'm a bit short on time this morning. Perhaps watching someone learning to play Meta Knight and being taught some things will help you. Oblivious Loser had 2 sessions with Izaw, and he's significantly better in the second session because he took some of the advice from Izaw in the first session.
Oblivious Loser's first training session with Izaw
Oblivious Loser's Second Training session with Izaw
If there's certain matchups you're struggling with, try watching some top level meta knights fighting against those characters. Some people like to call Meta Knight the best secondary in the game because he goes quite even or is slightly better than everyone in the cast. So you should never feel hopeless in any matchup like other characters can in their worst matchups.

Top Bottom