• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

LINK- A Japanese Link Combo Video

The Japanese have long been praised for their technical prowess in all games Smash, and it shows. More specifically, they tend to exploit lesser-used characters to their full potential and show us what they are truly capable of. Youtuber "女神管理人" does this with Link in his combo video. With his exceptional bomb usage he is able to pull off sick d-air kill confirms, footstool setups and even momentum cancelling. Although he has some crazy kill power and a strong projectile game, Links shortcoming lies in his lack of aerial mobility. However, when played correctly, Link is a force to be reckoned with, as exemplified by Swedish Link main Izaw. Hopefully this video helps to bring Links potential as a character to light.

So what did you think of the video? Does it change your mind about Link's viability? Where do you think Link stands in the tier-list? Let us know in the comments.

William "Wncozens" Cozens

Comments

He has more problems than just his aerial mobility. His air speed was actually pretty good until whoever decided to nerf it coming into Brawl.

The bomb to dair is really cool to watch. If more players abused Link to its fullest potential, then I could see a rise.

Uh... his airspeed was made better in Smash 4 though.
Hilarious. Have you actually checked how much they've increased it from Brawl? Because the air speed buff was miniscule as **** and practically unnoticeable.

Link's air speed is faster (0.8084 → 0.88).

Link has the 6th/7th worst air speed in the game.

He also had the 6th worst air speed in Brawl.

Last edited:
He has more problems than just his aerial mobility. His air speed was actually pretty good until whoever decided to nerf it coming into Brawl.
Sorry I misread this as "decided to nerf it coming from Brawl." My apologies.

Hilarious. Have you actually checked how much they've increased it from Brawl? Because the air speed buff was miniscule as **** and practically unnoticeable.

Link's air speed is faster (0.8084 → 0.88).

Link has the 6th/7th worst air speed in the game.

He also had the 6th worst air speed in Brawl.
Still better than nothing though. Right?

I don't see how this would change viability at all. It's a good video but it doesn't introduce that many new things.

Only thing interesting is the bomb footstool setup, and that seems dependent on how long nair locks, which I don't know. If it locks forever, then it's a good tool to use. Otherwise, it's best as just low% combos.

Link still has **** frame data, bad speed and a bad grab, all of which is important for high level play.

Sorry I misread this as "decided to nerf it coming from Brawl." My apologies.

Still better than nothing though. Right?
Nope.

Believe this when I say he needs his 1 air speed back, but what's stopping him is the fact that Toon Link is supposed to be the more aerial versatile character and has more mobility.

I don't see how this would change viability at all. It's a good video but it doesn't introduce that many new things.

Only thing interesting is the bomb footstool setup, and that seems dependent on how long nair locks, which I don't know. If it locks forever, then it's a good tool to use. Otherwise, it's best as just low% combos.

Link still has **** frame data, bad speed and a bad grab, all of which is important for high level play.
You forget that we have characters like:
:4bayonetta::4corrin::4myfriends: and :4robinm: who fit the bill quite nicely, yet you're not complaining about them at all! These characters are middle to high to top tier characters and they either have poor frame data (Bayonetta's makes Link's frame data a godsend), sub-par mobility or just a sucky grab or throw combo option game.

Last edited:
pretty cool, Izaw has better combo videos tho.... post it insted of this, god dammit..... However i'll tell you a joke: What happens when Link enters into a bar with Sonic and Rosalinda talking each other ? Link becomes "Cloudy" ahahahah got it? CLOUDY ahahahahahaha Link will be always low tier, Sakurai hates him

Last edited:
:4zss: has a bad grab, and she's a top 10 character. If you have a Sword, you can sacrifice some mobility, like :4corrinf:, a high-to-mid tier character.

Nope.

You forget that we have characters like:
:4bayonetta::4corrin::4myfriends: and :4robinm: who fit the bill quite nicely, yet you're not complaining about them at all! These characters are middle to high to top tier characters and they either have poor frame data (Bayonetta's makes Link's frame data a godsend), sub-par mobility or just a sucky grab or throw combo option game.
Link's frame data is worse than pretty much all of these.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...l-DuqoUAyCSNb0J6qXTnhjJjD0/edit#gid=293376651

(Bayo's frame data wasn't changed from 1.1.5 to 1.1.6)

Link, according to this, has the 55th worst frame speed of every character. Only one who has worse of the characters you mentioned was Ike.

Ike and Robin both have kill confirms and combos off their game, Corrin has a great sideB for mobility and bayo is a pretty good fast faller and has decent runspeed as well. Please do research before anything, please.

:4zss: has a bad grab, and she's a top 10 character. If you have a Sword, you can sacrifice some mobility, like :4corrinf:, a high-to-mid tier character.
ZSS and Link have extremely similar grabs so I don't know why you're using it as a way to make link look better.

Corrin has side B which buffs her mobility by a ****ton and she still has better frame data, a godlike gimmick side B, punish game and has a kill throw that's earlier than Links.

ZSS and Link have extremely similar grabs so I don't know why you're using it as a way to make link look better.
I'm not. I'm pointing out that it's possible to be a good character with a bad grab, which you seemed to have misunderstood.
Corrin has side B which buffs her mobility by a ****ton and she still has better frame data, a godlike gimmick side B, punish game and has a kill throw that's earlier than Links.
Yes, outside of Side-B she still has bad mobility and Side-b can be shielded and punished. Link also has actual combos, one of the best projectiles in the game, a hoo-hah that kills earlier than either of Corrin's throws, a potential infinite or garunteed kill confirm, and lives longer.

My point is, it's okay to trade mobility for power sometimes.

Link's frame data is worse than pretty much all of these.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...l-DuqoUAyCSNb0J6qXTnhjJjD0/edit#gid=293376651

(Bayo's frame data wasn't changed from 1.1.5 to 1.1.6)

Link, according to this, has the 55th worst frame speed of every character. Only one who has worse of the characters you mentioned was Ike.

Ike and Robin both have kill confirms and combos off their game, Corrin has a great sideB for mobility and bayo is a pretty good fast faller and has decent runspeed as well. Please do research before anything, please.
Dude, read the list again. It's in a random order.

And secondly, the list only accounts for start-up. That's not the entire frame data of characters' attacks. The thing is, you have to account for ending lag/cooldown on attacks. If you tally that up, Link's miles ahead of the aforementioned characters I've listed.

Thirdly, Link has kill confirms and combos off throws and bomb setups, easy. And hey, he also has many recovery options, the best edge-guarding game in the entire game, and some amazing projectiles to boot. His lack of mobility only keeps him down for so much.

And I find it funny that you tell me to do research when you're not doing your own.

Last edited:
Thirdly, Link has kill confirms and combos off throws and bomb setups, easy. And hey, he also has many recovery options, the best edge-guarding game in the entire game, and some amazing projectiles to boot. His lack of mobility only keeps him down for so much.
I wouldn't say the he has the best edge-guarding in the game, closer to one of the best in the game but, to each their own.

Dude, read the list again. It's in a random order.

And secondly, the list only accounts for start-up. That's not the entire frame data of characters' attacks. The thing is, you have to account for ending lag/cooldown on attacks. If you tally that up, Link's miles ahead of the aforementioned characters I've listed.

And I find it funny that you tell me to do research when you're not doing your own.
So, your kidding right? If you actually list them to best to worst, you can see for yourself.

Averages of said list, in ranking order: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DxzVYr9AGDuG98DdLGHjr4PgAHQ8tPCQfR_WzT62FTQ/edit?usp=sharing

Links all the way on the bottom.

As for your second point, Link has long lasting hitboxes on most of his attacks, but have tons of cooldown. This is seen in the majority of his moveset, downair having 30 frames of endlag, His grab having around 40 frames, Arrows having around 30, etc. So do your research, once more.

Third point, Compare links grab to robin or ike's, his is really slow and laggy. His combos can't be over extended from grab because of his cooldown and frame speed. he can combo off of bombs, that's about it.

And he doesn't have the best edgeguarding in the game, his edgeguarding is pretty average compared to the rest of the cast. His recovery is as solid as a tether goes, and when you're out of range for a tether, that's a free spike for anyone who has a decent one.

So please do your research, thanks.

You say that like Link doesn't have kill confirms. Who exactly do you think Toon Link got his kill confirms from?
Link's grab is very slow and punishable, it's a risky move to make. Ike and Robin both have better grabs than Link for the same reward.

You say that like Link doesn't have kill confirms. Who exactly do you think Toon Link got his kill confirms from?
Don't worry, this guy's a certified troll if I've ever seen one. He said Link's ending lag on Down Aerial is 30 frames when it's a mere 16 frames, which is half of his 32 frame landing lag. He even went on to keep pestering with the same list that doesn't prove a damn thing about character move speeds since it only calculates start-up lag.

from what I can tell, this sort of performance demonstrates that Link's viable... just very difficult to use to the best potential...

unfortunately, this runs the assumption that tournaments are run on mostly Omega Stages... now I'm not going to scoff For Glory in Japan, because from what I've heard, they're much more competent than the rest of the world... but it would be nice to see some big things in other terrains as well.

Don't worry, this guy's a certified troll if I've ever seen one. He said Link's ending lag on Down Aerial is 30 frames when it's a mere 16 frames, which is half of his 32 frame landing lag. He even went on to keep pestering with the same list that doesn't prove a damn thing about character move speeds since it only calculates start-up lag.
http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Link

Scroll down, says for itself. 32 frames of endlag.

Also, I'm assuming either your the troll here, or you just want to act superior. I'm not into starting things, I've said what I've had to say. Good day, sir.

pretty cool, Izaw has better combo videos tho.... post it insted of this, god dammit..... However i'll tell you a joke: What happens when Link enters into a bar with Sonic and Rosalinda talking each other ? Link becomes "Cloudy" ahahahah got it? CLOUDY ahahahahahaha Link will be always low tier, Sakurai hates him
I don't think anyone here wanted to hear any of that.

Since Link is one of the characters I am most comfortable with I found this interesting (also someone dragged me onto hyrule warriors lately, so yay for that music).

Some of these things aren't that impressive though. Like some of the Dairs, especially on some characters like Little Mac where it's already easy to kill them like that. Then there's some other things that you would never be able to get away with against top tier players.

Is there a reason why the link threw the bomb up to get blown up by it instead of just holding it? This ain't melee, you can't just hit bombs so you have to time it. So because of this I never really bothered to try getting hit from the explosion instead. Does it throw you at a different angle or something? It just seems like a way to make it easier for the enemy to hit you (especially if they decide to go after the bomb so you can't get hit by it).

I laughed when Link shot an arrow at a fully charged shadow ball from Mewtwo though. Didn't even stop the Shadow Ball.

Curious, would it have been possible for that Ryu to have let go of his focus attack a little sooner so he could hit Link before the second hit? Or is there a bit too much hitstun for him to pull it off? I'll be honest I don't know a lot about Ryu, but dang do I see Ryu's using it a lot to move around, and to sometimes do a surprise attack in tournaments.

With all that said, I liked some of the bomb combos that were done. However that's the only impressive thing I see here since most of the opponents don't seem to be very good, and you can see the opponents whiffing attacks and making some pretty bad mistakes when they didn't really have an excuse to miss. But hey, I watch like to watch Izaw's Link fight sometimes so maybe my standards are a bit high.

Whatever the case is, when it comes to making Link look like he has a chance to win a tournament, this isn't a video that I would link people to. There's other better videos to inspire people to be a Link main and such.

Since people mentioned tiers, I don't think Link should be as low as he is. However, I don't see him being top tier since he can have troubles with faster characters, or characters that are anti-projectiles. Link isn't only a projectile spammer, but it sure helps a lot and makes it so he's not as predictable.

http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Link

Scroll down, says for itself. 32 frames of endlag.

Also, I'm assuming either your the troll here, or you just want to act superior. I'm not into starting things, I've said what I've had to say. Good day, sir.
Dude that's landing lag, that's the time when he has his sword stuck in the ground after landing. The hitbox ends on frame 64 and you can act out on frame 80. 80 - 64 = 16 frames of ending lag.

Dude that's landing lag, that's the time when he has his sword stuck in the ground after landing. The hitbox ends on frame 64 and you can act out on frame 80. 80 - 64 = 16 frames of ending lag.
Landing Lag means once you land, there are a certain number of frames until you can act out of it. For Link's case, this is 32. It doesn't have to do with any hitboxes or how long the animation is.

Top Bottom