• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

『SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI』Protagonists Support Thread. (Awaiting Reincarnation...)

Hmm, give me a LIFE STONE and I might consider joining you...

• Give LIFE STONE x1

• Refuse

• Trick

• Say you don't have

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Daily Demon 37!

Golden boy Kinki is here.

Next is Rule 3----I mean, Succubus.
I kind of wish the classic Angel design was next so I could have said we're going from Kin-Ki to kinky. Oh well.

I've always been a fan of his design though, so I'm happy he's in the game.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I....think I recognize the next one, but I can't put a name or face to the shadow.

Strix, I think?
It's
Garuda. Kinda bummed they're not going with his Soul Hackers design, which IMO is quite more interesting than this version. It doesn't help I guess that we know Jatayu is in the game and both look kinda similar.

For reference, this is the Garuda I'm talking about:

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
It shouldn’t be surprising that Atlus are going with the models that are simplest to implement. Every SMT game’s roster has revolved partially around “how much can we get out of this one sprite/model?”. In Nocturne they had base bodies that were reused for dozens of demons, and the P5 models are built on top of those existing models. And while it’d be nice if they changed up the designs for some, that’s the equivalent of making an entirely new demon without even getting to say they’re a new demon.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
It shouldn’t be surprising that Atlus are going with the models that are simplest to implement. Every SMT game’s roster has revolved partially around “how much can we get out of this one sprite/model?”. In Nocturne they had base bodies that were reused for dozens of demons, and the P5 models are built on top of those existing models. And while it’d be nice if they changed up the designs for some, that’s the equivalent of making an entirely new demon without even getting to say they’re a new demon.
Yeah, that's completely understandable. I get the decision. Or maybe in this case they went with the classic design because they prefer it over the other one, I don't know.

In Garuda's case it's not like I feel his classic look is bad. Maybe a bit plain and safe while the Devil Summoner one I think is more interesting and different.

Seeing this, I just hope if Loki is in this game they actually bother to give him his Soul Hackers look and not the Nocturne one, which IMO is just... Boring and extremely simple.
I'd rather have a new design for him tbh because it's not like I think his Soul Hackers design is amazing, but at least it's more interesting than naked purple man with a cape. Same for Odin before his Apocalypse redesign.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord

Seeing this, I just hope if Loki is in this game they actually bother to give him his Soul Hackers look and not the Nocturne one, which IMO is just... Boring and extremely simple.
I think I might have good news for you then, because I'm pretty sure you can catch a glimpse of that exact design in this screenshot from the official site. (The ugly white border is there because of how the site is laid out, in case you were wondering.)
The +3 Wind matches up with IV:A Loki who has +3 in every element. The wing is raised at such an angle that it matches the SH art, while the hair is different enough that it can't be Succubus who is a similarly black-winged blonde. The Soul Hackers Loki design also has an existing 3D model to work off of, so there's no reason for them to not use that one. The same thing will probably happen to Amaterasu, who was an Okuninushi recolor in Nocturne but has her SMT2 design in NINE and IMAGINE.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I think I might have good news for you then, because I'm pretty sure you can catch a glimpse of that exact design in this screenshot from the official site. (The ugly white border is there because of how the site is laid out, in case you were wondering.)
The +3 Wind matches up with IV:A Loki who has +3 in every element. The wing is raised at such an angle that it matches the SH art, while the hair is different enough that it can't be Succubus who is a similarly black-winged blonde. The Soul Hackers Loki design also has an existing 3D model to work off of, so there's no reason for them to not use that one. The same thing will probably happen to Amaterasu, who was an Okuninushi recolor in Nocturne but has her SMT2 design in NINE and IMAGINE.
Never noticed this while looking at the screenshots. You have made my day lol because
it indeed looks like Loki with his Soul Hackers look.

As I said other times I'd like to see Vivian and Susano-o here, and they both have 3D models in IMAGINE. Susano-o is also in Dx2. I'd rather have this one in terms of colours tho because the IMAGINE version is a bit different when it comes to colours.

At least now I have hope thanks to you. :D

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I recently finished SMT: Strange Journey Redux. Overall I enjoyed it a lot, it was a really good experience.

I got the New Neutral Ending. Really satisfying I'd say. Personally I'd say this game has the best SMT story for me, and the arc for the alignment reps is quite well made IMO, something that is more shaky in other games, I think.
Gameplay was great. It's not the Press Turn system so at first it took me a while to get used to the battles, but it works well and the Co-op system with demons is cool.

Demon negotiations I'd say were better than IV/Apocalypse? At least based on what I remember. Maybe not necessarily better, but it was more intuitive for me. Music was good, it's really different in sound from the other games, but it is still good. My only complain with the music might be that sometimes it feels like the game has not that many tracks, specially for the battles. A bit more of variety would have been appreciated.

Also, maybe it's because I never played the original release of the game on 3DS but I thought the new content was good, because sometimes I did read some criticisms against the new story or content of Redux. So maybe I'm missing some context, but I thought it was fine.

Basically, a very good game. For me it easily has the best story in the series (from what I've played, of course) and the setting is really good as well. Dungeons were overall nice and fun for me, except maybe the third dungeon and some puzzles in the lasts dungeons, which I found kinda annoying at times. I had to grind a little bit at the end to get some better demons for the bosses, but it was worth it.

Also, the Demonica suit is dope.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Seems we'll be getting commets from Doi going into the future.

Here's the first. Too bad it's not in English lol

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Seems we'll be getting commets from Doi going into the future.

Here's the first. Too bad it's not in English lol
Someone on Reset Era Google translated the full thing:

Genma Amanozako
The devil we are introducing this time is "Amanozako". In this series, the devil introduced first is actually the devil designed last in this work. Amanozako is a goddess who is said to have been born from the fierceness that Susanoo exhaled. She is said to be the ancestor of tengu and amanojaku, but the anecdotes around here are poorly biased, and she is also said to be the goddess of creation created during the Edo period.
The Amanozako of this work was designed in a range that can be associated with folklore to some extent, but with the game-like desire to be a memorable devil like the pixie that you meet in the early stages of Maju, it looks like a Japanese pixie. I summarized it in.
As for the design, small feathers and high clogs-style footwear associated with the tengu, ancient Japanese-style costumes and colored costumes associated with the goddess, and those elements were born from the god Susanoo. I adopted the motif of "made by Susanoo = android" as an essence. (Actually, it has a slightly deeper meaning, but it's still a secret at this point.) The expression of the hair as a helmet instead of hair is a part of playing with the design.
In the early designs, the skin was orange and the face wasn't so cute in order to give it a tengu feel and an amanojaku feel. However, in order to create a gap with the devilish personality, I reminded myself that cuteness is better, and I have a history of calming down to my current face and skin color (I think it was a success as a result). Sometimes it's a rough movement, and the lines are also subtle, making it a very impressive devil. I hope you can feel her loveliness through the game break.

Masayuki Doi

Also, Demon Showcase #40

Next is Thor.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Sorry for the double post but Atlus West has posted the english version of Doi's comments. Looks like they will do the same for the next one

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
I just had an idea, and I can't tell if I'd like it or hate it.

What if we got an SMT guessing game? The series has loads of options if you include all the protagonists and iconic demons. If you include spinoffs like Devil Summoner you have even more options like Serph and Raidou.

It wouldn't happen, especially considering how unlikely any character other than a mainline protagonist or the Jack Bros. are, but I just wondered what you guys think?

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I just had an idea, and I can't tell if I'd like it or hate it.

What if we got an SMT guessing game? The series has loads of options if you include all the protagonists and iconic demons. If you include spinoffs like Devil Summoner you have even more options like Serph and Raidou.

It wouldn't happen, especially considering how unlikely any character other than a mainline protagonist or the Jack Bros. are, but I just wondered what you guys think?
I'd also hate it lol

I think doing another guess game will inevitably piss off people. And more now, with only one character left. I don't think it would be a good move at all by Nintendo.

I also think it would be a waste of time because I can't literally picture the character not being either Demi-fiend, Flynn or Nahobino, with Jack Frost as a second option I guess.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
It has to be Demi-fiend, the character that now has a new voice actor for seemingly no reason(the original Nocturne and DDS1 are mostly just grunts).
I'm super late (I've been insanely busy), but while I would love if Demi-fiend was the final boss of V, he did not get a new voice actor for "no reason". It was confirmed in an interview that they lost the rights to all of the original recordings for Nocturne's voice acting. Not only did Demi-fiend receive a new voice- every single character and demon did.

Last edited:

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
I'm super late (I've been insanely busy), but while I would love if Demi-fiend was the final boss of V, he did not get a new voice actor for "no reason". It was confirmed in an interview that they lost the rights to all of the original recordings for Nocturne's voice acting. Not only did Demi-fiend receive a new voice- every single character and demon did.
Most of the characters never had voices.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Daily Demon 44!

We are Legion, we are many.

Next up.... is the brand new pupper we were introduced to recently!
Finally a new demon. Very interested to see the dog in action. I guess we will probably see some actual cutscenes with him, because we know he's relevant to the plot. He's Yuzuru's demon but I assume we will be able to summon him or something after certain point.

Also, more insight from Doi about his new designs. Now it's the turn for Finn mac Cumhaill

It hasn't been translated yet but I found a summary in Era of what Doi is saying here.

He thought about a more futuristic cu chulainn but ultimately decided against it in order to give demons a more ethnic look
The motif was handsome demon, he's designed and animated with that in mind.
Doi thought making him suck his finger would look too juvenile so he's gonna kiss it instead
It has the same voice actor as CR S01 in Trauma Team

amageish

Smash Master
Oh huh, I guess demons from Deep Strange Journey are making their way in after all. Didn't think I'd see anyone returning honestly. Wonder if Zeus is in the compendium then?
Yeah, we saw a few of them in the last main trailer. Zeus is still MIA, but we have seen Demeter and Anahita... I'm also surprised to see them there, but I am very excited to have them.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Daily Demon #47

She has an unique healing spell. Looks like it has similar efects to Doping from IV?
Regardless of liking or not her design, she's really well animated here.

Next is Anahita so we're continuing the Strange Journey Redux representation. Fingers crossed for Zeus or Amon to be the next ones after Anahita.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Daily Demon #47

She has an unique healing spell. Looks like it has similar efects to Doping from IV?
Regardless of liking or not her design, she's really well animated here.

Next is Anahita so we're continuing the Strange Journey Redux representation. Fingers crossed for Zeus or Amon to be the next ones after Anahita.
Love how Mazanbarion is just a straight up kamehameha now lol

Daily Demon 47
]
AND
Doi's commentary on his Angel redesign:

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Daily Demon #48

She looks fantastic. Specially her hair, they did a superb job with the water animation.

Looks like we will have to face her before being able to summon her.

Next is Chironnupu, the little fella from Apocalypse.

I wonder if we will get more Apocalypse demons. So far I think we have Odin, Mermaid and Chironnupu.
Would be cool to see Adramelech, Cleopatra, Mephisto or Krishna in 3D. I always loved how vibrant? are the IV:A new demons when it comes to visuals.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Chironnupu

Also, the premium edition is currently in stock in the UK on Amazon, so if you live here and want it, now's your chance. (I finally managed to get one).
I never used him in Apocalypse but he looks very cool here. I love his dance lol

And he has an unique skill too. Next is Shiishaa so I guess we're back to Kaneko's demons for a while.

Top Bottom