• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

『SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI』Protagonists Support Thread. (Awaiting Reincarnation...)

Hmm, give me a LIFE STONE and I might consider joining you...

• Give LIFE STONE x1

• Refuse

• Trick

• Say you don't have

Results are only viewable after voting.

VongolaFair

Smash Apprentice
Damn, no SMT news and no SMT Smasher.

Either or was a pipe dream but I was hoping at least for a SMT3HD Localization date...
Same man I was so sure that we’d get a release date for Nocturne HD and then nothing happened... ATLUS WHY HAVE U FORSAKEN US

amageish

Smash Master
Damn, no SMT news and no SMT Smasher.

Either or was a pipe dream but I was hoping at least for a SMT3HD Localization date...
ATLUS West doesn't have the traditional method of announcing everything via concert, so Nocturne being MIA still is kind of odd.

Maybe it'll be announced via Tweet later? Or they'll include it alongside the English translation of whatever SMTV news we get next month (assuming the concert has SMTV news)?

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
After thinking about it, I actually feel like this might be ok for an SMT rep's chances. In Byleth's presentation, Sakurai said that he wants to give dlc characters unique gimmicks.

I've always thought that an SMT rep's gimmick could be summoning 1 demon at a time and having them be a secondary partner character, which is also how Rex and Pyra could have worked.

Even though it's unlikely, if we do get an SMT rep, that might be why Pyra and Mythra are separate from Rex and instead have a Zelda/sheik style transformation as their gimmick, since Sakurai wouldn't want to have 2 dlc characters with the same gimmick.

amageish

Smash Master
After thinking about it, I actually feel like this might be ok for an SMT rep's chances. In Byleth's presentation, Sakurai said that he wants to give dlc characters unique gimmicks.

I've always thought that an SMT rep's gimmick could be summoning 1 demon at a time and having them be a secondary partner character, which is also how Rex and Pyra could have worked.

Even though it's unlikely, if we do get an SMT rep, that might be why Pyra and Mythra are separate from Rex and instead have a Zelda/sheik style transformation as their gimmick, since Sakurai wouldn't want to have 2 dlc characters with the same gimmick.
I suppose it is true that we have now both glossed over a multi-summoner (through Joker's singular persona) and a tether character (through Pyra/Mythra over Rex).... So... not the worst position to be in for uniqueness at least!

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Huh, an english post from megaten official twitter.

VERY good odds the concert has something happening for EN speakers.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Huh, an english post from megaten official twitter.

VERY good odds the concert has something happening for EN speakers.
It outright mentions Nocturne HD too, I find it ridiculous to wait half a year since the game's been announced to see anything but hopefully March 20th isn't too long of a wait from now

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
Was really convinced we were gonna get deconfirmed today, but it's nice seeing that we lived another day. I don't have a ton of faith in this happening, but little faith is better than no faith. Keep your heads up lads.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I've been playing 4A recently and man I'm loving the changes to the partner mechanic and Smirk, the extra emphasis on characters compared to 4's a bit weird but overall I'm very impressed, at the dungeon Odin sent me to now and I'm very tempted to just play it whenever I'm free instead of at work

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
You scared me for a second lol
Yeah, sorry about that lol. But this is big, or so I think. Nintendo went out of their way to add support for an ATLUS series in Smash despite the fact it was a multiplatform game, despite not giving us a spirit event for Nocturne HD and SEGA not having anything in Smash since before the 2nd fighters pass. This could mean we've still got a chance.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yeah, sorry about that lol. But this is big, or so I think. Nintendo went out of their way to add support for an ATLUS series in Smash despite the fact it was a multiplatform game, despite not giving us a spirit event for Nocturne HD and SEGA not having anything in Smash since before the 2nd fighters pass. This could mean we've still got a chance.
Well Nocturne HD didn't release internationally. They are probably just biding their time.

amageish

Smash Master
More content is always nice to see, but also Sophia's spirit could easily have been planned since Joker's addition, with the pandemic pushing English-language Strikers back just making it feel like a longer span of time then it really was... Though if we got a second ATLUS rep then it probably would have also been negotiated alongside Joker,l given Steve and Sephiroph, so shrugs.

The real tragedy is that Sakurai did an entire column fanboying over how everyone who likes storytelling in video games needs to play 13 Sentinels Aigis Rim and it didn't get a spirit event...

Also, new ATLUS survey for 2021! Interesting, they now ask about the same list of spin-off concepts they ask about for Persona for Shin Megami Tensei. I imagine most of them won't happen, but I'll admit the idea of a Shin Megami Tensei Mario Party clone makes me chuckle.... Make it Dokapon-Kingdom-level cutthroat and it may work out?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
More content is always nice to see, but also Sophia's spirit could easily have been planned since Joker's addition, with the pandemic pushing English-language Strikers back just making it feel like a longer span of time then it really was... Though if we got a second ATLUS rep then it probably would have also been negotiated alongside Joker,l given Steve and Sephiroph, so shrugs.

The real tragedy is that Sakurai did an entire column fanboying over how everyone who likes storytelling in video games needs to play 13 Sentinels Aigis Rim and it didn't get a spirit event...

Also, new ATLUS survey for 2021! Interesting, they now ask about the same list of spin-off concepts they ask about for Persona for Shin Megami Tensei. I imagine most of them won't happen, but I'll admit the idea of a Shin Megami Tensei Mario Party clone makes me chuckle.... Make it Dokapon-Kingdom-level cutthroat and it may work out?
These surveys are what led to Nocturne HD right? Maybe we'll get lucky again...
Who's the most popular protagonist?
I always hear people talk about Demi-Fiend, sooo...

amageish

Smash Master
These surveys are what led to Nocturne HD right? Maybe we'll get lucky again...
Yeah, they definitely didn't hurt for that, even though I believe some ATLUS staffers have discussed remastering Nocturne for quite a while now...

Though if we really want to make fans hyped, the spin-off we need is a Jack Bros remaster! Bring back the first Megami Tensei game actually released in the Americas~!

Who's the most popular protagonist?
I'd say Demi-fiend! That said, I don't think ATLUS has ever actually done a popularity poll with the human characters in Japan, as opposed to doing a demon popularity polls, so... I guess we don't have any real data beyond cultural osmosis.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman

They're using a different guitar solo in the normal battle theme than they normally use in live performances and remixes.

Also, this sounds a lot better than the chaos side concert in my opinion, so that's nice.

Last edited:

VongolaFair

Smash Apprentice
So are we expecting Atlus USA to announce the western release date of Nocturne HD before or after the SMT concert on Saturday? (Also plz let us get the special edition that came with the lamp I need that ****)

amageish

Smash Master
So are we expecting Atlus USA to announce the western release date of Nocturne HD before or after the SMT concert on Saturday? (Also plz let us get the special edition that came with the lamp I need that ****)
I'm guessing after - like, potentially minutes or hours after. Given how they've been promoting it in English, I think we'll get SMTV news in both English and Japanese at the same time and I think they may just drop Nocturne news into the same Twitter thread. I also wouldn't be too shocked if they announced further ATLUS concerts then too.

I'm not that optimistic about a physical special edition though, given how ATLUS' pandemic physical game releases haven't been that fancy, but it'd be nice to have...

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
I'm expecting them to announce a steam port of the game, and then say that the worldwide release will release on the same day as an offhand comment.

amageish

Smash Master
Atlus really ought to rely on LRG, those lads have been on the ball with their exclusive deals for physical stuff lately.
Honestly, I think ATLUS' physical special editions, when they happen, are some of the best... Lots of great items and they generally are fairly accessible to find in-store, which is always nice! They just evidently didn't have the resources for them during a pandemic...

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't count on Nocturne HD's localization being at the concert, but absolutely do count on SMTV being there. I wouldn't even be shocked if we got a more specific release window this week.

amageish

Smash Master
So the EU eshop leaked something
View attachment 307738

Almost an entire year since the announcement and over 6 months after yhe JP release. God, I hate Atlus
Okay, I guess they'll be announcing it just before the concert, probably as a last-ditch effort to sell tickets...

Honestly, that's not the worst release date, especially given how much 13 Sentinels and Strikers were thrown off by the pandemic...

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Bought my concert ticket. The timezone difference isn't too severe - only 2 hours after Japan. Not like I had anything else to do on a Saturday.

PC port of Nocturne is neat. Still wish they added some new demons or something though.

amageish

Smash Master

I wonder why the pc version was rated separately.
They probably submitted it later? I'm guessing ATLUS' PC ports are a more recent pivot on their part...

Also, oof, ATLUS West sure is good at having the rug pulled out from under them before announcements lately, huh?

amageish

Smash Master
Huzzah! Nice to see it officially announced.

I'm not a fan of ATLUS continuing the "unlock the game early via deluxe version" thing though... Easily one of my least favourite trends in modern gaming. It doesn't matter as much here, but I like being able to play something right away to avoid my feed becoming too full of spoilers too quickly. I will not be pleased if SMTV has a similar deal...

Top Bottom