• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

『SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI』Protagonists Support Thread. (Awaiting Reincarnation...)

Hmm, give me a LIFE STONE and I might consider joining you...

• Give LIFE STONE x1

• Refuse

• Trick

• Say you don't have

Results are only viewable after voting.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It's still kind of surprising to me that that game had "Prologue" in the title and they never made a full version...
Probably meant to be Strage Journey Redux as the reason Synchronicity was made to promote that game's release.

Oh yeah, also we hit 16 pages!
Katana Zero Dancing.gif

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
This may be a dumb question, but could they pull a Hero and include mutiple SMT protags as costume on the same character?
Oh absolutely.
In fact, that was the original concept for the thread, before Hero was a thing.

Practically every SMT protagonist (sans the Demi-fiend for obvious reasons) relies on the same general toolset of a sword, a gun, and summoning demons. The biggest alercation to this would have to be Flynn who has the ability to learn magic spells, but that can easily be excluded for the sake of including him in the set of characters.

If they were to go mainline only, we could get:
Hero (SMT)
Aleph (SMTII)​
Flynn (SMTIV)​
Nanashi (SMTIVA)​
Or even SMT Spinoffs like Tamaki from SMT:If or the Soldier from SMT:SJ.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'd be cool with that setup as long as Jack Frost is in their toolkit somehow, hee-ho.
I can't imagine he won't be.
As far as SMT Demons go I think you have to include him and pixie. Possibly Jack O' Lantern/ Pyro Jack as well.

endgame demons tend to be explicit mythological figures so I doubt we'll be summoning Siegfried, Cu Chulainn or Yo****sune or whatever.

amageish

Smash Master
I think Frost and Pixie are our safest bets... I'd like Alice a lot too, if just for the memes...

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
A Hero situation is very possible! The mainline protagonists are all of similar build (except Nanashi) and wield a sword, gun, and some kind of COMP. The possible lineups could be

-The Hero
-Aleph
-SJ Marine
-Flynn

-The Hero
-Aleph
-Flynn
-V Protagonist (assuming he is a traditional protagonist)

Alternatively they could probably just swap between two characters like The Hero and Flynn. Maybe Demi-Fiend and V would work if V has a demon protagonist.

I think the best course is that demons are summoned to use magic so that it can be a universal moveset. Pyro Jack is an obvious recovery and Jack Frost can propel ice like the Ice Climbers, like I concepted... long ago...

I've been toying with ideas for other demon attacks. Pixie can use Electricity. Maybe have Cu Chulainn with Force, though he's kinda a lot bigger than the others! Could swap 'em all out with a Neutral Special and have different elemental versions of the same attacks + the ability to work with your demon during combos (though I see this one as far less likely).

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Oh absolutely.

Practically every SMT protagonist (sans the Demi-fiend for obvious reasons) relies on the same general toolset of a sword, a gun, and summoning demons. The biggest alercation to this would have to be Flynn who has the ability to learn magic spells, but that can easily be excluded for the sake of including him in the set of characters.

Hero (SMT)​
Aleph (SMTII)​
Flynn (SMTIV)​
Nanashi (SMTIVA)​
But would it be great? or they are honestly more apt for a simon/Richter scenario?

for example.. all of teh atelier protagonist can craft bombs, use a staff and have magical attacks. but their personalities usually differ enough for being awkward in an hero situation.

On the other hand, hero as a character is a very blank slate.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
But would it be great? or they are honestly more apt for a simon/Richter scenario?

for example.. all of teh atelier protagonist can craft bombs, use a staff and have magical attacks. but their personalities usually differ enough for being awkward in an hero situation.

On the other hand, hero as a character is a very blank slate.
Yeah, SMT Heroes are also generally blank slates due to their nature of being vehicles for the protagonist to imprint their ethics. The most characterization we ever get from them is in SMT4A's Messiahs in the Diamond Realm DLC where they are all, generally, polite boys.

Except Demi-fiend who's a bit of cocky ass but we're not including him.

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Oh absolutely.

Hero (SMT)​
Aleph (SMTII)​
Flynn (SMTIV)​
Nanashi (SMTIVA)​
Having two characters named Hero from JRPGS sounds like a bad idea. Unless they use some other character as the default or call him something else.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Having two characters named Hero from JRPGS sounds like a bad idea. Unless they use some other character as the default or call him something else.
Well there's 3 ways about it.
1. Call them Summoners
2. Call them Messiahs
3. Call them by their canon names (and change SMT1 Hero to one of his CD Drama names)

Or the hidden 4th option, pick the Demi-fiend.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
I figure they should be grouped under "Messiah" and then let fans figure out what their canon names are. "Hero" doesn't even have a canon name for each of its characters; one of them is named Eight.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
I know that it doesn't necessarily mean anything, but I still think that it's weird that Joker didn't come with any Jack frost related content. It's not like they don't include him in Persona crossovers, because I'm pretty sure he's in one of the mobile games Joker appeared in. So unless they were at least considering adding more atlus content to the game, I can't see why they wouldn't at least add a Mii hat or spirit.

amageish

Smash Master
I know that it doesn't necessarily mean anything, but I still think that it's weird that Joker didn't come with any Jack frost related content. It's not like they don't include him in Persona crossovers, because I'm pretty sure he's in one of the mobile games Joker appeared in. So unless they were at least considering adding more atlus content to the game, I can't see why they wouldn't at least add a Mii hat or spirit.

Yeah, quite a few demons turned up in Puzzles and Dragons, including Jack Frost himself...

I would go so far as to say that Jack Frost appearing in the game in some form - even if it's just a SMTV spirit event - is one of the things I am most confidant about in all of Smash speculation. It's not a 100% chance, but, like, I'd be very surprised/confused if it didn't happen...

Last edited:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
I would go so far as to say that Jack Frost appearing in the game in some form - even if it's just a SMTV spirit event - is one of the things I am most confidant about in all of Smash speculation. It's not a 100% chance, but, like, I'd be very surprised/confused if it didn't happen...
I agree, I feel like he'll be a spirit or Mii costume even if SMT doesn't get any other content.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

SMT II is joining the NSO line-up in Japan... unsurprisingly not the case in America, but it's something!
Man, we don't even have Earthbound or SMRPG, and yet we already managed to blow our load here in the US, huh?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I mostly just want Harvest Moon... that was my hope for the SNES Classic too though, so I've already been sad once.
I mean, I don't personally care for either game, but I know a lot of people do. I can tell from the somewhat-spammy comments...

Although, fun fact, apparently Psycho Dream was supposed to be released in English way back in the day, but that version got scrapped due to the publisher getting bought by Sega. Interesting to see it finally come out.

amageish

Smash Master

Nocturne's getting collab event in the mobile game The Alchemist Code in Japan. Will probably result in some cool new art, if nothing else.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Nocturne's getting collab event in the mobile game The Alchemist Code in Japan. Will probably result in some cool new art, if nothing else.
Oh wow, that's really cool.

I believe this is the first time SMT has crossed over into something else?

amageish

Smash Master
Oh wow, that's really cool.

I believe this is the first time SMT has crossed over into something else?
It's been a pretty long amount of time, but SMTIVA got a Brave Frontier event a while back... in 2016. When SMTIVA came out. 5 years ago. Time moves too quickly.

Googling it, apparently Strange Journey Redux got an event with Code of Joker back in 2017. Otherwise, uh, seems like it's mostly just been Persona collabs with the occasional Catherine or Etrian Odyssey one mixed in.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
It's been a pretty long amount of time, but SMTIVA got a Brave Frontier event a while back... in 2016. When SMTIVA came out. 5 years ago. Time moves too quickly.

Googling it, apparently Strange Journey Redux got an event with Code of Joker back in 2017. Otherwise, uh, seems like it's mostly just been Persona collabs with the occasional Catherine or Etrian Odyssey one mixed in.
Heck, Dragalia Lost just wrapped up a Persona 5 Strikers collab. Although I wouldn't complain if they also did an SMT one...

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
This has been on my mind for quite some time now. What I find intriguing is that we know Sakurai has negotiated for multiple characters with one company and then they end up happening at different times, thanks to Steve and Banjo now. Jack Frost not showing up as a mii costume has me puzzled to this day, especially when Teddie got a mii costume. I think it's entirely possible Sakurai negotiated for two ATLUS characters and then saved Jack Frost for the SMT character, but this is all under the impression we get an SMT character at all.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Yeah, lack of any SMT content whatsoever in Joker's DLC is the thing that's kept me thinking about this for a while. I think a Jack Frost Mii Costume is pretty likely personally, but I don't have very high hopes for the absence of SMT being saved for an SMTV DLC pack, but rather for a spirit event .-.

Last edited:

jadetheseer

Smash Cadet
I’m calling it now: Demi-fiend will be revealed at tomorrow’s direct. It lines up with the western release date of SMT III plus would introduce a lot more people to the SMT franchise, which is still pretty obscure here, helping to sell well

amageish

Smash Master
I’m calling it now: Demi-fiend will be revealed at tomorrow’s direct. It lines up with the western release date of SMT III plus would introduce a lot more people to the SMT franchise, which is still pretty obscure here, helping to sell well
Do... do we have a western release date of Nocturne?

VongolaFair

Smash Apprentice
SMT3 and V portion of the direct ends but then it randomly cuts to the scene where Dante and Demi-Fiend first meet but the quality of the models are vastly improved for some reason and that it’s weirdly DMC5 Dante and he says ‘long time no see’.
DOUBLE REVEAL SMT AND DMC JOIN THE FRAY!

amageish

Smash Master
No, but I'm assuming their point is that if it's announced tomorrow, it would be a good time to add Demi-Fiend.
Ahhhhh, yes, true.

Honestly, I'd be a tiny bit surprised if we got SMT in Smash and it wasn't timed to be around SMTV, but it's also not like they couldn't easily fill multiple packs worth of content just from the SMT franchise as it currently exists... We'll see what happens! I wouldn't be surprised to ATLUS turn up in some way, at least.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Even though I'm really happy about the new character(s), I can't see them adding a third (technically fourth) JRPG rep in this pass, which hurts am SMT reps chances. The new character looks cool though, and the music will definitely be good.

amageish

Smash Master
Even though I'm really happy about the new character(s), I can't see them adding a third (technically fourth) JRPG rep in this pass, which hurts am SMT reps chances. The new character looks cool though, and the music will definitely be good.
I'm not so sure on that, just because last DLC was 3/5 RPG reps as well... I have a feeling they tend to include RPG characters as they tend to sell well, so they merit continually doing.

That said, obviously every slot at this stage counts and I'd say everyone's odds have gone down as 2 spots left is... not many.

Top Bottom